• Gesamte Community
    • Gesamte Community
    • Foren
    • Ideen
    • Blogs
Erweitert

Nicht was Sie suchen? Die Experten fragen!

Dieser Thread braucht eine Lösung.
Danksagungen0

Same file, same Norton, different scan result?

Very curious about this. Two laptops, same version of Norton Security, same update level, exact same same file on both (birthday.exe which came with a Logitech Webcam many many moons ago). Full Scan on both laptops. On one it declared the file to have virus Heur.AdvML.C and quarantined it, on its twin... nothing to see here.

How is that possible?

(I should add Norton's been scanning this file on my PC's since the year 2000, with not a peep about it until now...)

Thanks,

David

Antworten

Danksagungen0

Re: Same file, same Norton, different scan result?

David follow the link below, sounds as though you have a false positive situation.

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/how-report-false-positives

Soul

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows Server 2016 Essentials / Windows 10 Professional x 64 version 1903 / build 18362.356 / N360 Deluxe 22.19.8.65 / Norton Core v.282 on Android 2.00
Danksagungen0

OK. But why would the same software on two identical machines report a difference in a scan? Why don't I have two (or better none) false positives and why'd it pop up at all after all these years...

One for Mulder and Scully, perhaps.

Danksagungen0

David,

I know this will sound menial however please tell us what version Norton you have installed on BOTH machines, and whether you have ran live-update in the past 3-4 days.

This file was downloaded as an add on for your webcam software? If that is the case one computer has possibly downloaded additional files known as PUP a potentially unwanted program which always bundles with other software. That would account for the heuristics change. Try uninstalling your current webcam software then reinstall from the OEM website on BOTH computers. See if this is detected again. Thanks for being patient, we will get to a solution for you although its hard to do without a screen shot as a reference. If you could post a Norton detection screenshot. Thanks.

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows Server 2016 Essentials / Windows 10 Professional x 64 version 1903 / build 18362.356 / N360 Deluxe 22.19.8.65 / Norton Core v.282 on Android 2.00
Danksagungen0

Hi,

Both are 22.9.3.13 and both are Current. Yes to the Live Update too.

It's a Logitech Gallery folder and a file within called birthday.exe copied forward from a machine from the year 2000 (it's on both laptops too) so it's nothing installed of late. It just suddenly showed up two days ago on one of the laptops. I then scanned it on the other and it's fine. So how can you have a false positive on one of two identical machines...?

(I can't get the screenshot to cut and paste in here but it says it was Heur.AdvML.C High risk and it's resolved and quarantined... on one of the laptops)

Thanks,

David

Danksagungen0

David. Thanks for the info and patience once again. Follow the instructions in the link below and submit this as a "false positive". Wait for an answer from Symantec before taking further action as they will analyze the file for what specific threat is may/may not contain.

https://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2016-051813-2926-99&tabid=2

You can also run a reputation scan and try getting a fresher review of how the community sees this file presently

Danksagungen0

If I do all that there is no Submit to Symantec button, just restore and remove. It says stuff is automatically sent to Symantec too...

Cheers,

David

Danksagungen0

@peterweb

Danksagungen0

For what it is worth, I have seen this on my machines as well.  Two machines, same version of Norton, same file but detected as malicious on only one.

Sorry, I have no solution or explanation.

Windows 10 x64 1903

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.