• Gesamte Community
    • Gesamte Community
    • Foren
    • Ideen
    • Blogs
Erweitert

Nicht was Sie suchen? Die Experten fragen!

Danksagungen0

Norton - Need you to release my Disk Defragmenter

Norton ever since installing Norton Security, I cannot independently utilize my Windows 7 Disk Defragmenter.

I never had this problem with any previous versions of NIS and I have been a very long time customer.

Norton Security Task Scheduling has NO Tasks selected, and Manual Schedule is selected.

Idle Time Optimizer is set to OFF.

Yet when I try to run my Windows 7 Disk Defragmenter I get a pop up saying "Disk Defragmenter is using a customized setting created by another program".  This started right after installing Norton Security so I has to by this program.

I have also noted others with this problem when googling the issue.

Pls advise or create a way to make NS let go of the Windows Disk Defragmenter when Idle Time Optimizer is set to OFF.

Antworten

Danksagungen0

Re: Norton - Need you to release my Disk Defragmenter

Hello Lexus2456,

Which security program was on your machine prior to Norton Security?

You might want to check Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Task Scheduler to see if there is a Norton entry for disk optimization/defragmenting.  If so, please remove it.

Let us know how you do.

"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."   Edward R. Murrow
Danksagungen0

Hello

There are a couple of settings to turn it off. Under Task Scheduling>Automatic Tasks> take off the x from Disk Optimization. Administrative Settings>Idle Time Optimizer> turn off.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.18.0.213 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Danksagungen0

Phil, I have never had anything other than NIS on this computer. Last one was NIS 2014 before installing Norton Security. There is nothing in Windows Task Scheduler regarding Disk Defraging (I also always ran it manually - no task entry for Windows either).

Floplot, thanks for responding but if you re-read my post, you will see that those areas were already undone and turned OFF.

It seems that NS set itself up and regardless of what user settings are used does not remove its custom defragmentation setting(s).  Surely there must be a  service or registry entry to tweek.

Norton - any answers?

Danksagungen0

Danksagungen0

bjm, thanks but got no where.

Is anyone willing to turn OFF the Idle Time Optimization then try to manually run their Windows Disk Defragmenter and see if the info block comes up as it does with mine?

Go to "Settings" > Administrative Settings > set Idle Time Optimizer to OFF and Settings > Task Scheduling > Scheduling Tab > set to Manual Scheduling

In Windows go to System Tools (or where ever) or seach for Disk Defragmenter and select.

Does it run or do you get a pop up info block?

Akzeptierte Lösung
Danksagungen2 Stats

When you get the popup window from Windows disk defragmenter  "Disk Defragmenter is using a customized setting created by another program" click on the "Remove Settings" button, then apply your personal settings for native Windows disk defragmenter, (they revert to default), and reboot your pc.

Enjoy!!

Regards,

Danksagungen0

I tried the "Remove Settings" button on the popup window originally but with no luck.

Tried it again today - and IT WORKED!!!

Disk Defragmenter works again via windows.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.