• Gesamte Community
    • Gesamte Community
    • Foren
    • Ideen
    • Blogs
Erweitert

Nicht was Sie suchen? Die Experten fragen!

Dieser Thread braucht eine Lösung.
Danksagungen0

Verrrry long boot time with new install of Norton Security

I'm using a Dell Inspiron 530 with Windows Vista Home Premium-all service packs in place.  Been using Norton 360 for several years with no problem. A couple of days ago I downloaded Norton Security without backup to my pc. The new software retained all settings from 360 and removed 360 from the computer.  My first and most important problem is the pc takes about an hour to fully boot up. Upon start up the Dell logo and progress bar appear. Once the bar has finished running everything comes to a halt until quite a while later when the boot process resumes and continues in normal fashion.  HELP! Has anyone had this problem? How did you fix it. I've checked my settings on Norton and msconfig. Am I missing something?

The other problem is after the pc is finished booting there is a noticeable several/many seconds time for installed programs and files to open. Same thing for clicking on my browser or email links. This does go away after a time once the computer and security program get to know each other.

Suggestions welcomed. I'm not that technical but I do know my way around the pc.

Antworten

Danksagungen0

Re: Verrrry long boot time with new install of Norton Security

I would try the Norton Removal and Reinstall Tool https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v60392881_EndUserProfile_en_us

That may solve your problem.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Norton Security v.22.18.x
Danksagungen0

Hi Atlanta Gary and welcome.  I'm sorry to hear of the problems you are encountering.

There is a possibility that installing Norton Security over top of Norton 360 did not yield a clean installation.

I'd like to provide you a set of instructions for a full uninstall/reinstall of your Norton product, but first I would like to know which settings were preserved during your upgrade and if they are important to you.

Also, did you use the backup feature of your Norton 360?

Thanks!

"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."   Edward R. Murrow
Danksagungen0

Thanks and sorry for the time lag to reply. I've been extremely busy with other things.  For the past week and a half or so things seemed to be operating better. I figured the program took a while to settle in. Today however my daily back up with a non Norton product wouldn't finish. Today is also the day for my regular full back up scan which normally takes 2 hours.  It too is taking much longer.  My next step is to try the removal and re-install tool.

My boot/re-boot times seem to be back to the normal time for Windows.

A couple of other things I've noticed: My scheduled C&D scan takes from 3 to 4 hours to run. In one instance, the scan which looked at the lowest amount of files took 45 or so minutes longer than the scan for more files.  Any idea what's going on there?

The other thing is that Quick Scan continues to run multiple times in a given 24 your period even though I've un-scheduled it.  How do I completely turn off Quick Scans?

Danksagungen0

Thanks and sorry for the long lag in replying. Been very busy with other stuff. Phishing Phryer sent me the link for the Norton Removal and Reinstall Tool: https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v60392881_EndUserProfile_en_us

Is this what you have in mind?  At this point I'm not sure which settings were preserved but if I start over it makes no difference if I lose them cuz I'll reset them. Been using Norton products for years so am pretty much familiar with what they should be.

Also, my version does not have the Norton Back Up feature.  Please see my reply to Phishing Phryer and feel free to comment on the "new" issues I mentioned.

Danksagungen0

If you're comfortable doing a clean install of Norton. Then you'd want to open the control panel, programs and features, uninstall Norton and put a check in remove all settings, download Norton Removal Tool https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/kb20080710133... , run Norton Removal Tool, restart your computer. Then login to your Norton Account and download your product and install it.

The amount of time your scans are taking are very high. Although more files equal more time 4 to 5 hours still seems excessive. I'm not sure if there's a way to disable automatic quick scans. But if its continually trying it maybe that the scan was interrupted and is trying to complete.
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Norton Security v.22.18.x
Danksagungen1 Stats

Hi Atlanta Gary,

Due to the way the newer Norton products provide protection, quick scans cannot be turned off.  They are an integral part of your security.

SGFC was kind enough to give you the basics of a clean install, but allow me to provide a detailed approach:

• Back up your Identity Safe if you use it.
  • Download and Save the Norton Removal Tool to your desktop.
  • Uninstall your current Norton product via Programs and Features.
  • During the uninstall, you will have the option to 'Save your Settings'.  If you don't have a critical need, do not save your settings
  • You may be offered the standalone Norton Toolbar as your product is being removed. Please decline this as it will be included with the full product installation.
  • Please restart when prompted.  Disregard and close any prompts to reinstall your product when the restart is complete.
  • Run the Norton Removal Tool*. (*there is a possibility that the current version of  NRT may affect Roxio products if you have them installed - please be sure you have the installation media on hand)
  • Restart after the Tool has finished.
  • At this point if you are not directed to reinstall your product, go to Manage Your Norton Account and follow the instructions to download and install your Norton Product. This method will use the Norton Download Manager.

• This should provide you with the most recent version.  Once the machine has settled in for a few minutes, Run Live Update.
  • Restart your computer after Live Update has completed.

Let us know how you do.

"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."   Edward R. Murrow

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.