• Gesamte Community
    • Gesamte Community
    • Foren
    • Ideen
    • Blogs
Erweitert

Nicht was Sie suchen? Die Experten fragen!

Dieser Thread braucht eine Lösung.
Danksagungen0

virus definitions not being received after update on 6-20

After running live update on 6-20, I have not received any virus definition updates since. Also, it seems there is a problem with the live chat on the Norton site. I fill the page to request a chat session, click continue, and the page just reloads. This is not related to a pop up block issue either. It seems to be a problem with the page.

Antworten

Danksagungen0

Re: virus definitions not being received after update on 6-20

Hi, Levi40. Virus definitions have been replaced by SDS definitions. See attached link for information.

https://community.norton.com/en/blogs/product-update-announcements/norto...

Is this the link you are having problems with ?  http://norton.com/chat

This thread covers the same situation.

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/after-updating-release-227-do-ns-...

What country are you in ?

Windows 10 Home X 64
Danksagungen0

Ok I saw a post in a thread, where the user had received both the SDS defs. and ALSO the virus defs.. And yes that is the page. I can not get a live chat session. Thanks for your response

Danksagungen0

I'll ask if someone from Symantec can respond if you still need help.

EDIT------See additional link in previous post.

Windows 10 Home X 64
Danksagungen0

Sorry didn't see you had asked about the country. I'm in the USA. And it would be nice to be able to open a live chat session. This has never been an issue for me before now. And, I've noticed I have quite a few copies of Norton Mobile listed in my services, and don't even use it. I have my mobile installed under my NSBU, and it just keeps adding more copies if NM to my services.

Danksagungen0

Levi40:

Ok I saw a post in a thread, where the user had received both the SDS defs. and ALSO the virus defs.. 

Most likely that user had still version 22.6. I also received both SDS and Virus Defs before Norton update to v 22.7 and since then the Virus Definitions folder is empty.

EDIT:  

Also, it seems there is a problem with the live chat on the Norton site. I fill the page to request a chat session, click continue, and the page just reloads

At the bottom of that page there should be a Get Phone Number link - try clicking it, hoping it works.   

Windows 7 HP SP1 32-bit | Chrome 65.0.3325.146 | NS 22.12.1.15
Danksagungen0

Virus definitions have been replaced by SDS definitions. See attached link for information.

Static Data Scanner (SDS): These user-mode modules enable an enhanced security model, improved protection efficacy and better resource management.

Where have you seen in this link the word "replaced"? If this is the case, why is a folder available so called "Virusfdefs", which is still empty? "New" does not mean "Replace", could also meant as "Additional", isn't it?

Danksagungen0

Dinole:  Where have you seen in this link the word "replaced"? If this is the case, why is a folder available so called "Virusfdefs", which is still empty? "New" does not mean "Replace", could also meant as "Additional", isn't it?

Please see bottom of Intelligent Updater page. 
https://www.symantec.com/security_response/definitions/download/detail
Note: separation re Norton Security (22.7 or later). 

Danksagungen0

OK, to make it clear, also on this page i cannot see a difference between SDS and Antivirus. What is very clear, that people can see within the Norton Folder also a separate folder "VirusDefs", which is empty. Therefore, will be delivered VirusDefs also in the future or has it been cancelled since the latest version of NS. For me and other customers it is pretty bad, that nowhere customers are detailed informed by Norton about changes in the procedure of the future handling of Virusdefinitions. Due to this case customers are unsure, if they are actually safe with using NS.

I'm using NS 22.0.7.76 and that's my Norton Folder..

The latest version is...

but i have...

The final question is, how often i have to push the LU botton to get the latest version 20160622-002????

And what's about the empty "VirusDefs"-folder???

Something is extremely confusing!!

Danksagungen0

Dinole:   For me and other customers it is pretty bad, that nowhere customers are detailed informed by Norton about changes in the procedure of the future handling of Virusdefinitions. Due to this case customers are unsure, if they are actually safe with using NS.

So, you want Norton to explain to you, to your satisfaction. 
How/What Norton does under the hood.  
Norton | Learn How Norton Goes Beyond Antivirus ---
Security Technology and Response (STAR) ---
About Norton

My Norton product looks different
https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v111382660

Please rate your experience with Norton
Your feedback is valuable in helping Norton build better products.

Danksagungen0

These links don't answer my questions. One of these was "Why exist a folder SDSDefs and a folder VirusDefs, which is empty". Therefore, i guess the suggestion is correctly to ask, am i protected with the latest antivirus definitions, although the respective folder is empty? And why, after pressing the LU-button thousand of times, the latest virus definition is 20160621-023 instead of 20160622-002 ?

Danksagungen0

Exactly! To me Static Data Scanner, would mean it scans data statically, yet executable files are not really data, they are programs, which may use data, or not. Are they being scanned? This is all very vague, and the fact that I can not get live chat to open, and can not get the phone number either, has me concerned Norton is ignoring us as users. We pay for protection, and service if that protection isn't working as it should. I have had files on my machine for 5 or 6 years, (one file, with several copies as backups), which were Trojan infected, and were never caught by Norton, until a product update several months ago. This Trojan was released numerous years ago, so why did it remain on my machine for that length of time? I used to keep LU set to download the entire definition file, but Norton saw fit to remove that capability. I feel that is why it was never caught, until the product update, and the virus definitions failed, at which time I downloaded the full set manually, and caught it. We all pay GOOD money for this protection, and to limit the definitions to a certain set, which they decide to allow, is a bit ridiculous. Why are we paying to receive only a part of the definitions for known viruses? I want FULL protection, not PARTIAL protection. And why all of a sudden will live chat not open? And why will the contact numbers not open? We pay for this as well.

Danksagungen0

I want FULL protection, not PARTIAL protection.

• Total Cloud Protection - a feature that scans your PC directly using cloud-based virus definitions.

Danksagungen0

Wait,,,,, virus definitions? But you said they did away with virus definitions. And I have no faith in the cloud base scan myself. I can disconnect from the net, and get the same results. Also Norton no longer scans all files. I feel they are letting the users down very badly. When I first started using Norton, it would scan almost 900 thousand files on my server. Now it scans around 170 - 180 thousand. I know my server has more files than it did, so why so many less being scanned? The so called trusted files are not scanned. Does Norton think that a trusted file can not become infected? That is just in sane. Honestly, I've lost ALL faith in Norton products. And again, why will the live chat no longer work, and why will the phone numbers not display? Because they DO NOT want to address the issues the users are concerned about? Because they just don't care that people are having issues? Because they KNOW there is a problem, and refuse to hear people on it? Take a step back, and look at the money you pay them every year, and ask yourself, are they giving you what you're paying for. I used to feel as though they were, but in the last say 3 to 4 years, the protection they give us, has gotten less and less dependable. And, if you pay attention, you don't get the number of updates on the weekend, you get through the week. Does Norton think the crooks and hackers take the weekend off?

Danksagungen0

Levi40:  Wait,,,,, virus definitions?

FWIW ~ requests have been made for knowledge base documentation on "Total Cloud Protection" for open forum publication.   Also requests have been made for "SDS" documentation.  
Total Cloud Protection as you can imagine means Norton aka your protection is always current with net access. 

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.