• Gesamte Community
    • Gesamte Community
    • Foren
    • Ideen
    • Blogs
Erweitert

Nicht was Sie suchen? Die Experten fragen!

Danksagungen0

How can I set updates to work automatically?

Every time I restart the comp or after it's been on for several hours, I note a exclamation mark over the tray icon. It simply states that it hasn't been updated. I must manually run the "Fix" and it updates.
Which version do I need to buy up to in order for Norton to grab the updates (fingerprints) automatically?

It's NOT disabled.

~~If it's OK for government and corporations to steal my privacy, why is it illegal for me to try to take it back?~~
Labels: LiveUpdate

Antworten

Danksagungen0

Re: How can I set updates to work automatically?

Hi,iNic. Check this Norton article and the suggested settings, and make sure you reboot after.

If this doesn't help, let us know.

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v1061736_ns_r...

Windows 10 Home X 64
Danksagungen0

Thank you, but as mentioned in my original post, it is not disabled. Auto updates is and was, enabled.

~~If it's OK for government and corporations to steal my privacy, why is it illegal for me to try to take it back?~~
Danksagungen0

Ok, maybe try the Norton Remove and Reinstall Tool which will give you a fresh copy.

www.norton.com/nrnr

After the reinstall, run Live Update manually until no more are found and then do a full RESTART.

Let us know how you go.

Windows 10 Home X 64
Danksagungen0

Check that your system date and time and time zone are correct.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Danksagungen0

That too !, but also check this other Norton article.

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v2035127_ns_r...?

Windows 10 Home X 64
Danksagungen0

Too much effort so far for too little protection. I'll uninstall it and install something I can depend on.

Thanks for help any way.

Danksagungen1 Stats

Hello

Automatic updates are supposed to work automatically. The program checks for updates every hour. That does not mean that there will be updates every hour. There also have been intermittent server errors  which might be affecting your Live Update issues. Please remember though that there are many  layers of protection and that a lot of the protection goes thru on the cloud so that there aren't as many downloads now as there used to be years ago.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.18.0.213 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Danksagungen0

How long have you been seeing this? Did you just install Norton recently?

Did you have another security program installed before installing Norton? If so, it needs to be fully removed with the removal utility for that software.

Danksagungen0

floplot, You said "Automatic updates are supposed to work automatically." Ahhh - so that's why they are called automatic? Thanks for that insight. However, I know that when I turn my comp on, and Norton shows up grey on the task bar, and I open it and it says it hasn't been updated, and I click "[FIX] - it updates and all is well until I cold start. That is why my question is / was, "Which version do I need to buy up to in order for Norton to grab the updates (fingerprints) automatically?". It would be nice too if this 'forum' software got out of the 90's and updated.

Danksagungen0

Did you check your system date and time? That could mess up the reporting of your required updates.

All Norton products use the Automatic LiveUpdate. So you do not have to change products.

What you may need to try is getting a fresh install  of your Norton product as suggested by F 4 E above.

Danksagungen0

Like I said twice already, about a week. Installed recently? Yes again, about a week. I've been using computers for 38 years. And AVs were used even back then. Nothing has improved really, only the GUI is prettier than a DOS screen. There have been other AVs on here, and I know enough to use the remover tools, and enough Registry experience to know to manually check and remove the stalkers left behind by AVG. In chronological order of years, Norton, Norton, AVG, AVG, AVG, Norton, AVG, Norton (today). The only reason I dropped out of my rental with them was because they did a software upgrade and without my drilling in and disabling several key protections, could not access email, or the Internet. Have to admit though, it was the best protection from Internet - no access in or out. :) For the rest, see my UPDATE::: I know in that in this poor example of a Forum, but UPDATE::: should be easy to see. Thanks for the tips. The comp is older, but the HDDs are replaced, on average, once a year after the annual Windoze unrecoverable crashes.
Danksagungen0

UPDATE::: I created a Task that after cold-boot, a window opens reminding me to click the Norton Tray Icon, then to click FIX.

Problem is NOT solved, but a bit of bailing wire and gum seems to help Norton work OK now.

This FORUM software needs to be upgraded to this century. Sorry about no paragraphs, but I just figured out that one needs to add the HTML paragraph codes themselves to separate paragraphs.

I should have checked back in the Forums, which is a great indicator of how well the Norton products are designed too.

Danksagungen1 Stats

iNiC:
Like I said twice already, about a week. Installed recently? Yes again, about a week.

Sorry, but I re read this thread and saw no reference to when you installed Norton. That is why I asked. 

I've been using computers for 38 years.And AVs were used even back then. Nothing has improved really, only the GUI is prettier than a DOS screen. There have been other AVs on here, and I know enough to use the remover tools, and enough Registry experience to know to manually check and remove the stalkers left behind by AVG.

As I'm sure you can appreciate, unless you give this information up front, we have no way of knowing your knowledge and skill level, so we start with simpler suggestions. Some of which you still have not answered or acknowledged. System Date and time being correct are critical in Norton determining if updates are current. You mention it is an older computer, and the system battery could be dying, as I'm sure you know with your experience. Also the suggestion to reinstall Norton has not been answered. Programs can get corrupted on a Windows computer and sometimes need to be refreshed. It takes less than 5 minutes last time I had to use the tool F 4 E recommended. 

In chronological order of years, Norton, Norton, AVG, AVG, AVG, Norton, AVG, Norton (today). The only reason I dropped out of my rental with them was because they did a software upgrade and without my drilling in and disabling several key protections, could not access email, or the Internet. Have to admit though, it was the best protection from Internet - no access in or out. :) For the rest, see my UPDATE::: I know in that in this poor example of a Forum, but UPDATE::: should be easy to see. Thanks for the tips. The comp is older, but the HDDs are replaced, on average, once a year after the annual Windoze unrecoverable crashes.
Danksagungen0

This FORUM software needs to be upgraded to this century. Sorry about no paragraphs, but I just figured out that one needs to add the HTML paragraph codes themselves to separate paragraphs.

There may be some setting in your browser causing the paragraph issue. Using Chrome or Firefox, all I do to start a new paragraph is hit the Enter key. Never had to add any code of any kind.

Unless there is something different about your keyboard that different codes are being sent to the computer.

Danksagungen0

been there, done that.

Danksagungen0

I also have some quirks with paragraphs in this forum, every enter adds two lines, sometimes I just want one.

I'm curious (not sure this will help since I don't quite have enough info about your computer), is your computer set to auto-sleep or hibernate after a short amount of time?

Danksagungen0

Hi password_password

I discovered what may be part of the problem with the forum editor. The forum uses CKeditor and CKeditor is allowed to pipe their stuff onto your comp via Norton web site, to let ckeditor.com add their own stalkers. Another stalker piped through by Norton is a "management and omni-channel data marketing" stalker.

Of the 7 various stalkers Norton pushed at my computer, I blocked 5 of them. Once I unblocked them, the editor worked. It seems one must disable their anti-stalker tools and allow third-party junk to be delivered to one's comp in order to use the formatting tools in the anti-virus forums.

Since several of the editor functions are disabled, I suspect this CKeditor is the free version.

This was NOT an in-depth check of the possible problem and solution,
but it is one that I discovered worked for me.
Akzeptierte Lösung
Danksagungen0

My version does not show anything where "Network Cost Awareness option in the Settings window is set to No Traffic or Economy" can be changed.
But, I read it, Bing'd what I didn't understand, and still can't find a setting where I can edit LiveUpdate anything.

I think that I will just leave it the way I have it - an at-boot Windows calendar loads with a reminder to open from Norton from tray and click FIX to look for updates. I've done the same on my 2 Ltops so I don't forget them either. It's a lot faster, easier and rather be at camp fishing than reading a swack of dry, technical documents. :)

FYI, I am responding to the suggestion I remove and re-install, which I did. Now, I am going to get a cold beer and sit outside in the hot sun while there is still no tax on doing so ;)

Danksagungen0

Time/date checked. OK

Removed and reinstalled Norton as suggested.

Have decided to just stick with the at-boot Windows calendar opens to prompt a manual update. As most know all to well, when we start and make too many changes from the default, is when we start to see more faults.

Danksagungen0

Are you still seeing the issue after reinstalling? Maybe let it go a couple of days to see if it is working correctly now.

Danksagungen0

FYI - I'm sure most generic browsers running at default settings do not have a problem with most any site. Those browsers that request a web page and refuse Stalkware, or a sites 3rd party attempts to dump their stalkware on one's computer can end up with grief. This may, and I stress "may" be the cause of why some people have a problem with CKeditor here in the Norton forums - the outside service that Norton uses for posts in the forum. 

When I check, on page load, Norton opens my doors to several different stalkers, and services and their stalkers. Others may have different names for the Stalkers - I have mine. I know. Over a period of time, I, and am probably the only one, read the

Everywhere and almost all software - oops, big word for some; all apps, it's either Agree or go without. It's today's way of doing business. To use the forums, I must drop my pants - so to speak  :)
Now - I'll thank you to all, as I now have a solution, my own.

Danksagungen0

Ok... You totally lost me there. I'm not sure what you are calling stalkers, but I would like to know.

I do see these here, if that is what you are talking about:

Forum maker's inter-workings:
cdn.ckeditor.com
some sort of facebook/linkedin content (share on, etc..)
graph.facebook.com
linkedin.com
some sort of analytics (blocked here with seeminly no consquence):
js-agent.newrelic.com
nexus.ensighten.com

"I discovered what may be part of the problem with the forum editor. The forum uses CKeditor and CKeditor is allowed to pipe their stuff onto your comp via Norton web site, to let ckeditor.com add their own stalkers. Another stalker piped through by Norton is a "management and omni-channel data marketing" stalker.

Of the 7 various stalkers Norton pushed at my computer, I blocked 5 of them. Once I unblocked them, the editor worked. It seems one must disable their anti-stalker tools and allow third-party junk to be delivered to one's comp in order to use the formatting tools in the anti-virus forums."

Danksagungen0

password_password said " I'm not sure what you are calling stalkers,  but I would like to know."

Response: A Googie might call them cookies, LSO's, Beacons, pixel trackers, etcetera. Any of the 'apps', software, programs, scripts, ad infinitum that is silently placed on ones electronic computer devices in order to monitor their email, Internet activity, and physical locations is 'stalkware'. It is rarely for ..." Making your browsing experience more convenient and personal." It's used to sell information about us to marketeers so they can sell us stuff their AI 'thinks'  we need.
If you or I did what some of these programs do, we'd be held without bail pending psychiatric evaluation.
As in the Norton 'community', I pointed out that to get around being blocked from using some components of the forums comment tools, in comments section, one simply opens their doors to the stalkers. Make the comment, close the doors, and the only one's that will know will be Norton, whom I might add, seem very upset with one blocking them.

To see if I was allowed to trash the trash dumped on my comp, I read, in detail and at length, Norton's Legal Notice, Privacy Policy, License Agreement, and Cookies program notice. Which summed up is, 'Use our stuff without having rights to privacy or go elsewhere.'
You'll need a lot of patience as many parts of the first part have links to the party's third parts with more links! A Philadelphia lawyer would be very handy.

I wonder, do many people in forums only read the first 140 characters because they are so cell-trained by Twitter?

I was able to solve my initial problem of having to manually update Norton, and posted that as my solution - solved. My post about the stalkers was in response to someone else with a similar issue as not being able to format my responses in here. That problem is solved as well.

Two Norton problems solved in one post. It's been a great day :)

Danksagungen0

peterweb suggested: "Are you still seeing the issue after reinstalling? Maybe let it go a couple of days to see if it is working correctly now."

Response: Yes. But if you missed it, I set Win calendar to popup at boot with a reminder to manually update the fingerprints. After removal tools and re-install (00:37:26 minutes - not 5 as advertised), and rebooted, all that was different is that it said I needed to do a full scan - again! So let's just blame my comp and move on.

I'm OK with this manual method. It works and there was no tweaking one thing that could de-tweak something else in the process. ;)

Danksagungen0

Ok, so junk/tracking/analytics/ads I fully understand now. I block a great many of those myself.

I think your blocking of:
https://cdn.ckeditor.com/4.4.0/full-all/plugins/codesnippet/lib/highlight/highlight.pack.js
caused your edit problems, I don't think that's anything but the editor (not trackware). But you seem to have that under control to meet your preference.

Also I don't think you ever answered:
"Is your computer set to auto-sleep or hibernate after any amount of time?"

Danksagungen0

Hi again  password_password :

Also I don't think you ever answered:
"Is your computer set to auto-sleep or hibernate after any amount of time?"

ANSWER: No. But soon it might have a hole the size of a 45 caliber putting it to sleep permanently :)

Danksagungen0

Odd that your Norton install (at least that as I understand it) despite (nearly?)factory default settings, does not do liveupdate except manually. Despite being connected for extended time (~24+hours) to a broadband network and PC not off/sleep/hibernate.

What does liveupdate log look like in "Security History"?

You mentioned "Network Cost Awareness", but did not find it. Check general tab of firewall in settings. (screenshot doesn't hurt)
https://support.norton.com/sp/en/sg/home/current/solutions/v54476850_ns_retail_en_us

What type of internet connection do you have (cell, cable, DSL, satellite, dialup, something else)?

There is another live update log (product name/version may vary)
"C:\ProgramData\Norton\{0C55C096-0F1D-4F28-AAA2-85EF591126E7}\[ProductNameHere]_22.7.0.76\Lue\Logs\Log.Lue
Easiest way to open it is to go to the folder it is in and drag it to notepad.

Danksagungen0

Reply formatting just disappeared - again. Sorry for missing EOLs, and paragraphs. Trying manual HTML too.

Q: What does liveupdate log look like in "Security History"?

A: Empty - image attached

Q: What type of internet connection do you have (cell, cable, DSL, satellite, dialup, something else)?

A: Cable

Q: There is another live update log (product name/version may vary)

There are a lot of: but the last two of the 750+ lines (unwrapped) reads:::

9:32.428 WRN - Inventory SetAbort called on Moniker {D0C837B5-DB92-4093-A4E5-EB36B2471F1B} (Inventory Module), with abort code 507

9:32.600 INF - LueSessionImpl: RunLiveUpdate result code: 0x0

I hope the editor comes back. Not sure what to tweak anymore.

(EDIT) I just disabled blocking traffic/travel/cookies/LSOs/Beacons/Pixel Trackers and so on and the editor came back.

Like I guessed earlier, on has to drop their pants.
Danksagungen0

I didn't mean for you to post that log inline (it is multiple KB), attach could work (don't see any attachments yet... moderation pending or lost)

What does liveupdate log look like in "Security History" -- empty?? You don't even see your manual updates in there?

"Not sure what to tweak anymore" -- well, I don't know how you block things, but what URLs are you blocking on this forum, I can compare what I let load here (and it works) and let you know what to unblock to let the forum work all the time without disabling your whole blocking.

Danksagungen0

I reviewed that log file and copied here the most recent error. There are lots of them - all the same as posted here:

<<COPY starts>> |
"9:32.428 WRN - Inventory SetAbort called on Moniker {D0C837B5-DB92-4093-A4E5-EB36B2471F1B} (Inventory Module), with abort code 507"

AND

" 9:32.600 INF - LueSessionImpl: RunLiveUpdate result code: 0x0 "
<<COPY ends>> |

Both of which I thought might help. I need to read more of the 700+ lines in the log before sending a copy to ensure it doesn't contain any personal data. I'm not distrusting, paranoid, or believe in monsters in my closet. They are on the Internet. :) 

Yes, LiveUpdate log is empty. capture attached -

Personally, I don't acre any more, so long as windows calendar doesn't forget, and I don't forget, I can manually update wit beach boot.

Danksagungen0

The (txt) log is long and hard to read so I don't think we will get much from it.

The liveupdate one should have an entry for every manual update you've done.

Is the rest of your "Security History" empty too? Check "Network Cost Awareness" too (that one is normally empty).

You mentioned "Network Cost Awareness", but did not find it. Check general tab of firewall in settings. (screenshot doesn't hurt)
https://support.norton.com/sp/en/sg/home/current/solutions/v54476850_ns_retail_en_us

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.