• Gesamte Community
    • Gesamte Community
    • Foren
    • Ideen
    • Blogs
Erweitert

Nicht was Sie suchen? Die Experten fragen!

Dieser Thread braucht eine Lösung.
Danksagungen0

Norton Security hogging CPU

Hi there,

I have Norton Security (used to be 'with Backup'), currently version 22.19.8.65, and it has been fine for as long as I've had it. A couple of days ago I renewed my subscription - it claimed that my subscription had expired, although it actually still had 2-3 weeks to run, and now that I have renewed it it does acknowledge (correctly) that I have 383 days' subscription left.

I've had this problem before with ancient computers running ancient OS's (notably XP), but thought that was a thing of the past now that I am using a 'modern' machines running Win10, with plenty of memory.  I don't know whether the subscription renewal was co-incidental, or related, but since I renewed the subscription, my laptop has 'ground to a halt', and investigation revealed that NS was constantly using 70-100% of my CPU capacity.  The computer becomes usable if I put NS into 'silent mode', but as soon as the period of 'silent mode' ends, the problem returns.

Any suggestions./advice?

Kind Regards,  John

Antworten

Danksagungen0

Re: Norton Security hogging CPU

Hello John. If you haven't already done so check your power settings, see whether you have "fast startup" enabled or disabled. If enabled, disable it and reboot. Here is how to do that in case you don't know where to look. After the reboot manually run live updates and see if anything is offered. If so reboot again whether it asks you to or not.  If things look ok, allow a couple of minutes for the laptop to settle down. Open Resource Monitor and check for what is actually using the most CPU resources. 

Cheers

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows Server 2016 Essentials / Windows 10 Professional x 64 version 1909 / build 18363.535 / N360 Deluxe 22.19.9.63 / Norton Core v.288 on Android 2.22 / Opera GX
Danksagungen0

Thanks for your interest.  "Fast Restart" has always been disabled.  I've tried re-booting a few times (with 'Restart') and that didn't change anything.

Kind Regards,  John

Danksagungen0

Wondering, have you opened your user interface, click "Help" at the top right. Then on the left clicked "Get Support"? This will run an automated tool that will check your install for issues and correct anything it finds.

If you can open resource monitor, select CPU on the appropriate tab, get a screenshot and please post for us to review. Here is how to post screenshots into your posts.

Cheers

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows Server 2016 Essentials / Windows 10 Professional x 64 version 1909 / build 18363.535 / N360 Deluxe 22.19.9.63 / Norton Core v.288 on Android 2.22 / Opera GX
Danksagungen0

Windows Driver Foundation (WUDFHost.exe) in Task Manager can be the culprit in CPU spikes. It's off and on behavior can be a real pain. You can end it's task and see if that helps. Has a way of returning though. 

Danksagungen0

Hi again,

I didn't really give enough information.  In particular, I perhaps didn't make it clear that the issue is not continuous (i.e. there are some times when NS is not 'hogging the CPU') - although it recurred repeatedly over the days prior to my initial post.

Wondering, have you opened your user interface, click "Help" at the top right. Then on the left clicked "Get Support"? This will run an automated tool that will check your install for issues and correct anything it finds.

Yes, I did that, albeit only yesterday evening.  It "found and fixed 1 item", but I don't know if there is any way of discovering what that 'item' was!  It's possible that that has resolved the problem, since I don't think I've encountered it since - so I suppose I will just have to 'wait and see'.

If you can open resource monitor(link is external), select CPU on the appropriate tab, get a screenshot and please post for us to review. Here is how to post screenshots into your posts.

As I say, the issue has not been continuous, and is not present at the moment, so looking at what's happening now would not be of any value.  When the problem did exist, Resource Monitor did not really tell me any more than did Task Monitor, merely indicating that NS was using near all of the CPU resources.  If/when it happens again, I'll look again with Resource Monitor.

Kind Regards,  John

Danksagungen0

Hi,

I have sent you a private message requesting additional information. Could you please check your inbox when you get a chance? Thanks. 

-Gayathri

Gayathri R | Norton Forums Global Community Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Danksagungen0

Hi Gayathri,

I have sent you a private message requesting additional information. Could you please check your inbox when you get a chance? Thanks. 

Thanks.  I've just seen it.  I'll do as you ask, but it may take a little time, since I'm tied up with various things at present!

Kind Regards,  John

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.