• Gesamte Community
    • Gesamte Community
    • Foren
    • Ideen
    • Blogs
Erweitert

Nicht was Sie suchen? Die Experten fragen!

Danksagungen0

Norton Online Backup seems to be a scam

I've been trying to get my files restored from online backup for over 4 weeks. The last Norton techie (someone on a phone bank in India) was suppose to call me back this past Monday. Have not heard from him. They never call back. Will call again on Monday to start the game over again. I'll keep calling the people until I get my files if that is even possible. ANYONE CONDISDERING BUYING THIS PRODUCT SHOULD RUN!!!

Antworten

Danksagungen0

Re: Norton Online Backup seems to be a scam

I've been trying to get my files restored from online backup for over 4 weeks. The last Norton techie (someone on a phone bank in India) was suppose to call me back this past Monday. Have not heard from him. They never call back. Will call again on Monday to start the game over again. I'll keep calling the people until I get my files if that is even possible. ANYONE CONDISDERING BUYING THIS PRODUCT SHOULD RUN!!!

Danksagungen0

Hello rssensat,

I'm sorry to hear you feel you're not getting the service you're expected. As a result of your message I've had the forum admins provide me with your account email so I could research your case. The details I've found were quite helpful and your original post is missing some crucial details. If you have questions beyond reading my below message please send me your contact details via private message and we can arrange a session with one of my agents in additon.

Your initial support query stated you were not able to restore files that have been backed up. When trying to restore just 1 small document file you get the notice that "Restore in Progress" and " Preparing Server". This goes on for about 3 or 4 hours before you give up.

With this and the content of the chat transcripts its evident there is incomplete details being shared with you on how restore actually works in conjunction to the time it will take to complete. There are several factors to consider:

1. The amount of data you've previously backed up.

2. The length of time you've been backing up.

3. The number of times you've stopped and restarted it without letting the prior request complete.

The first time you perform a backup a full copy of the files you've selected for backup are transmitted to our data centers. Subsequent backups send only he incremental changes uploaded along with any new files you've added since the last completed backup. Each one of the completed backups is then retained for a 90-day period. Also as part of that backup process the data you're backing up is encrypted and compressed for secure transmission and storage.

When it comes time to restore your data your request is submitted to the servers for processing. That request has to first grab the first part of the file which is retrieved from the first instance that file exists in the backup set. In order to ensure you get the latest copy it will then also have to also get all the incremental parts from all those other backup sets. Once it has all the parts needed to re-construct your files the service will then download, in that same encrypted and compressed packet, place the data on your system and you can then access the content.

The Restore in Progress and Preparing Server message is the restore job doing all the work I've described above. Since it is a resource intensive process its all handed server side. That way all your machine has to really do, besides wait, is download the data and extract it. It can also be a time intensive process depending on how much data it has to process before it can grab the files you've requested. In your case it has around 16GB of data to work through to grab that one small file.

What makes the process longer is every time you decide to cancel a restore job and start another immediately after the servers have to cancel the prior request. Depending on how far along it is in that gathering and building phase it can take some time. 

So in short think of this whole process as a giant puzzle. If it doesn't have all the pieces it won't be able to correctly retrieve your information. When its interrupted, pieces missing so to speak, it makes the whole process all the more arduous. If you start the process and leave it to work it will work just fine.

With all of this taken into consideration there is no need for a manual restore by engineering. Those types of requests can take longer than if you let the restore run its own natural course and really should be reserved for when there are technical issues that go above and beyond.

As for the promises made by support if you can send me any additional details you feel would be helpful I can see if I can find out why the promised call backs were not made.

Danksagungen0

I'm going to try and restore again. I won't cancel the restore even after a day or two. What bothers me as much as anything is your engineering department folks telling me over a month ago that they were putting my files on a ftp server that I could then could download my files to. Two weeks ago another person in engineering told me the same thing but wouldn't tell me how far in process they were. The first person a month ago said the process would take a week. The person in engineering I spoke to today, when asking for her manager, insisted that she didn't have one. I asked if her department had a manager. She said they didn't. I wouldn't accept that answer and she finally transferred me to a manager who referred me back to you on this forum.

I appreciate your detailed response and please understand my frustration in being given the run around. Someone should go back and listen to all of the recorded phone calls I've had with them. 

How many days should I allow for this restore process?

Danksagungen0

That's part of the issue right there. No one from our actual engineering group advised that action. You would have been working directly with my team on any sort of manual restore and I know that did not take place. Once we get the issues at hand sorted I'd like to ask a little bit of your time to comb through the events.  If you have specific names of the agents/engineers you've spoken to recently please send that info to me via private message.

As for the restore that's going to be hard to gauge how long. Your account has an extensive history to work through. I honestly can't give an estimate because it'd never be accurate. One of the things we are working on is improving restore times however its a significant undertaking.  

rssensat wrote:

I'm going to try and restore again. I won't cancel the restore even after a day or two. What bothers me as much as anything is your engineering department folks telling me over a month ago that they were putting my files on a ftp server that I could then could download my files to. Two weeks ago another person in engineering told me the same thing but wouldn't tell me how far in process they were. The first person a month ago said the process would take a week. The person in engineering I spoke to today, when asking for her manager, insisted that she didn't have one. I asked if her department had a manager. She said they didn't. I wouldn't accept that answer and she finally transferred me to a manager who referred me back to you on this forum.

I appreciate your detailed response and please understand my frustration in being given the run around. Someone should go back and listen to all of the recorded phone calls I've had with them. 

How many days should I allow for this restore process?

Danksagungen0

I'm still running "restore" and still at 1%. I started on the 14th and now it's the 18th and I'm still at 1%. This is not the first time this has happened. Please help me!!!

Danksagungen0

Still waiting to hear from someone... Restore still is not working... Why can't I get my files... Buyer beware!!! If this product doesn't work as advertised I'm wondering which other products are the same. Would someone at Norton please help!!!!!!

Danksagungen0

My NOBU subscription runs out in July... I think I'm being delayed on the restore process to force me into subscribing for another year. I sure wish I could speak to someone on the phone about all these problems.

Danksagungen0

It's going on two months that I've been trying to restore files from Norton Online Backup. No one seems to be able to help or have a desire to help. I've read several other posts about the same problem. I've been showing that my retore of files is 1% complete for the past 5 days.

Is anyone else having a difficult time getting help? They won't even make me a copy of my files and send them to me. That gives me the impression they either don't have my files or they have no idea what to do. Either scenario is pretty bad. 

Is anyone with Norton support out there??? Hello??? Anyone???

Danksagungen0

I've been trying to recover files for about 2 months. Norton doesn't seem to have any idea what to do. I just keep getting the run around.

Danksagungen0

rssensat - it seems you are referring to Norton Online Backup. This thread is for Ghost 15.
-Andy
Danksagungen0

Hi,

I've sent my team's info as well as an update to your private messages. Please refer to the details I sent.

rssensat wrote:

My NOBU subscription runs out in July... I think I'm being delayed on the restore process to force me into subscribing for another year. I sure wish I could speak to someone on the phone about all these problems.

Danksagungen0

I began my restore on 6/14/2012. It is now 7/3/12 and the restore is showing just 43%. No files have been transferred to my computer. It's been showing 43% for almost a week now. Is this still normal? It shouldn't be. I'm trying to be patient but it's difficult. I don't see a disclaimer anywhere that says it may take 4 to 8 weeks to restore a file once it is backed up. 

Danksagungen0

Although running a little slow it's showing the restore is actively building. As mentioned before there is quite a bit of history to build from. Not every single restore for every person will behave in the same manner.

Danksagungen0

I have had the same issue.  I spoke to Norton's and they said I have to wait.  I gave up after a few weeks.  Really unhappy with the product.  I have also given up trying to complete a back up, just as slow a restore.  I am currently looking into going with another company. 

Danksagungen0

I've referred several people to CrashPlan Pro which works great. It takes about 30 seconds to restore a file. Sure beats 3 months! Roughly the same price too.

Danksagungen0

This post has been moved to its own thread.
Danksagungen0

Moved to own thread for better exposure.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.