• Gesamte Community
    • Gesamte Community
    • Foren
    • Ideen
    • Blogs
Erweitert

Nicht was Sie suchen? Die Experten fragen!

Danksagungen0

Some advise please on Norton Manaegement R & R with NIS 21.1.0.18 with a Local Vault

First of all, sorry for the long story prior to getting to my question, but I feel it is important to know where I stand on this prior to giving an answer.

This is the system I just entered a new key in and all was running well for  a few days, shut it off for about 5 days and fired it up this AM.   Ran a manual Liveupdate - all went well and then I recevied an email saying my laptop was at risk.

Norton Management tells me my laptop running Vista computer's protection is at risk.

NIS 2014 v 21.1.0.18 shows Green all the way.

Action center in Vista shows all protection from Norton is on and functioning.

Date and time are correct and the remaining days show the correct number.

So far I have removed the device via the trash can associated with the "remove device" and tried to add the device back in.  I was expecting it to pick up the already installed NIS and add it back to Norton Management.  Instead it offered to download NIS. 

At this point I checked Programs & Features and NIS was still installed, so I decided to let it do it's thing thinking it would releize at a later time that NIS was already installed. 

It ran for about a minute and said the install was completed.  NIS was still green all the way and it still showed the correct number of days left.

I then did a subscription check and it found my "trial install outdated" (?) and asked for a key.  I went ahead and entered the new key that I had just installed with 9 days ago thinking that perhaps Norton Managment had not been updated - although I had checked and the key shown in both Norton Account and Norton Management for the laptop showed the recently installed key for the new license.  It accepted it and put the laptop back into Norton Management - along with the computer protection at risk warning.

I have rebooted about 4 times along the way, with no change.

I still have both Local and Online Vault available on this system and really do not want to risk losing the Local Vault.

I have thought about removing Norton Managment from the laptop and then reinstalling it as my next step, however,  can someone please confirm that removing Norton Management via Control Panel and reinstalling it will not in anyway affect my NIS install?  Of course I am assuming I can remove it without removing NIS as it is not part of NIS??  There is a separate entry in Control Panel for Norton Management.

Any other suggestions appreciated.

Antworten

Danksagungen0

Re: Some advise please on Norton Manaegement R & R with NIS 21.1.0.18 with a Local Vault

First of all, sorry for the long story prior to getting to my question, but I feel it is important to know where I stand on this prior to giving an answer.

This is the system I just entered a new key in and all was running well for  a few days, shut it off for about 5 days and fired it up this AM.   Ran a manual Liveupdate - all went well and then I recevied an email saying my laptop was at risk.

Norton Management tells me my laptop running Vista computer's protection is at risk.

NIS 2014 v 21.1.0.18 shows Green all the way.

Action center in Vista shows all protection from Norton is on and functioning.

Date and time are correct and the remaining days show the correct number.

So far I have removed the device via the trash can associated with the "remove device" and tried to add the device back in.  I was expecting it to pick up the already installed NIS and add it back to Norton Management.  Instead it offered to download NIS. 

At this point I checked Programs & Features and NIS was still installed, so I decided to let it do it's thing thinking it would releize at a later time that NIS was already installed. 

It ran for about a minute and said the install was completed.  NIS was still green all the way and it still showed the correct number of days left.

I then did a subscription check and it found my "trial install outdated" (?) and asked for a key.  I went ahead and entered the new key that I had just installed with 9 days ago thinking that perhaps Norton Managment had not been updated - although I had checked and the key shown in both Norton Account and Norton Management for the laptop showed the recently installed key for the new license.  It accepted it and put the laptop back into Norton Management - along with the computer protection at risk warning.

I have rebooted about 4 times along the way, with no change.

I still have both Local and Online Vault available on this system and really do not want to risk losing the Local Vault.

I have thought about removing Norton Managment from the laptop and then reinstalling it as my next step, however,  can someone please confirm that removing Norton Management via Control Panel and reinstalling it will not in anyway affect my NIS install?  Of course I am assuming I can remove it without removing NIS as it is not part of NIS??  There is a separate entry in Control Panel for Norton Management.

Any other suggestions appreciated.

Danksagungen0

Re: Some advise please on Norton Manaegement R & R with NIS 21.1.0.18 with a Local Vault

I've sent you a PM.

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Danksagungen0

Thanks, and I have answered it!
Danksagungen0

Interesting ...

I wonder why Shannons felt this message would be more appropriately located here than at it's original posting location in the Norton Internet Security / Norton AntiVirus forum?

Perhaps because you mentioned your concern that whatever remedial suggestions proffered should take into account your concerns over retention of your pre-established local vault - that, and that you included the phrase "with a Local Vault" in your Subject line.

But still the main crux of your issue is about Norton Management and it's inability to correctly detect and report one of your system's particular configuration.  The vault aspect in this context is mostly auxiliary information seemingly meant to help steer the assistance being sought.

IMHO,

John

Danksagungen0

Hi yank

If the information on the computer for Norton is green as you say then the Norton product is functioning correctly and Norton management may have a bug as it is reporting conflicting information regarding the information on the computer.  I would just ignore the management email as the management is not the security on the computer it is just an administrative process for the account.

As you have mentioned a trial security product being on the computer it may be that Norton management is picking up on a flag and this is causing Norton management to issue an email meaning that there may be a communication issue that could be resolved by using the NRT installing NIS 2912 and then performing an over the top upgrade to allow the local vault to be kept.

A while ago I had autofix run with out a manual start it returned with click here for solution and that took me to a page requesting me to upgrade to the latest version.  I closed the page and restarted the computer and so far have never had it happen again.  I realise that this is not the issue you are having but ignoring the request did not cause any problems but I still wonder why this happened is it some process in norton to force an upgrade when there may be no actual issue occurring.

You may like to try live chat a few times to see what different people say if you don’t receive a satisfactory response?

ATB

intesec

Danksagungen1 Stats

Yank

From an earlier installation of NIS, I had installed the separate Norton Management. When it was rolled into the NIS product, it was not automatically removed, so I went ahead and uninstalled from Windows Control Panel. There were no ill effects for my NIS install.

Were you accessing Norton Management from the NIS client, or from the icon in the system tray?

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Danksagungen0

avjohnnie wrote:

Interesting ...

I wonder why Shannons felt this message would be more appropriately located here than at it's original posting location in the Norton Internet Security / Norton AntiVirus forum?

Perhaps because you mentioned your concern that whatever remedial suggestions proffered should take into account your concerns over retention of your pre-established local vault - that, and that you included the phrase "with a Local Vault" in your Subject line.

But still the main crux of your issue is about Norton Management and it's inability to correctly detect and report one of your system's particular configuration.  The vault aspect in this context is mostly auxiliary information seemingly meant to help steer the assistance being sought.

IMHO,

John

I have no idea why Shannons decided to move it - perhaps one of the other Guru's reported it as needing to be moved?

I do have to agree with you though, it doesn't really belong here, especially the since the main crux is Norton Management which is now a part of the UI within NIS - instead of an individual (separate) entity.

But since it is here, hopefully it will continue to be exposed! 

Danksagungen0

OK, just a quick update. 

I did have Norton Management installed as a separate program on both my "main desktop" and my Vista laptop.  I have since uninstalled them and as expected - nothing has changed - still got the Red X on my laptop in NM.

An addtional thing I noticed and please correct me if I am wrong:

As I stated before: when I "removed the device via the trash can associated with the "remove device" and tried to add the device back in.  I was expecting it to pick up the already installed NIS and add it back to Norton Management.  Instead it offered to download NIS." 

In the past it seemed to me that when you select Add Device it would ask if you were on the system that you desired to add and it woud detect the current installation and add it to NM - not offer to download NIS?  This is what I see when I select Add Device in NM:

@ intesec,

I know all is running fine with NIS on the laptop, and the only thing that conerns me is that NM is not functioning correclty and rather than ignore it, I am attempting to find a cause and a cure - as someone else may run into it in the future and since I am experiencing it now, I'd likle to find a cure for future reference

I'm not ready to revert to 2012 for this situation.  I am not veen sure which system's NM has the bug in it?  The one sending the info (laptop) or the one reporting the info (desktop). 

LOL - You are kidding about contacting CHAT aren't you? 

@ peterweb,

I was accessing via the NIS client - I no longer have a Norton Management Icon on the system tray (nor does it exsist as a Customize item)  I guess it was removed when I uninstalled the NM, or when NIS ikced up NM as part of the UI.

I think sometime today I will attempt to remove the device on the laptop again and then go thru the Add Device (using the Download as shown in the image above and see if I get the trail warning (thee is no trial installed) or get asked for a key.

Danksagungen0

You might try going into settings and turning off Remote Management on the system that's being misreported, then rebooting that system.

Nextvisit the Management website to see if this has successfully deregistered (removedthe system from your list of enrolled (Remote Manageddevices.

If this was successful, now try re-enabling the system's Remote Management setting (and re-booting again).

Lastly, another visit to the Management site to verify that the system's status is now being reporting correctly.

Kind regards,

John

Akzeptierte Lösung
Danksagungen0

@ John,

Thanks for the suggestion, ut I didn't try it as I have got it fixed - but donlt totally understand the how or why!

@ ALL,

I went back into the laptop's Norton Management and removed the device as I had done before.  Verified the device was removed from NM. 

Then I clicked on Add Device and got the download NIS offer again and proceeded to do the download, selected RUN, norton scanned the downloader and pronounced it as safe (although very new?).  It then ran - inititalization and then install, completed. 

NIS is totally green with the correct remaining days shown.

I then went back to NM and the device did not appear for the laptop, rebooted, still not there.

Did a Support > Subscription Check > and got the "Trial expired" again and the request for a key. I entered the same key again as I had used for the current license (about 9 days ago) and it activated, and the Device showed in NM - with a Green Check mark.

So all is well once again with my Norton Management.  as I said I have never seen NM act this way before - please let me know if anyone else comes across this.

Thanks to all for their suggestions.

Danksagungen0

Interesting your having to do all that - but nonetheless a good ending, which after all, is what really counts.

Glad you got it sorted...

John

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.