• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos1 Stats

Toolbar missing .. Chrome no longer in BETA !

Many of us who use Chrome were silently updated from Chrome 31 to version 32.0.1700.72 a short while back, which was in BETA. This update caused the Norton toolbar to go missing, not because of BETA, but because of Google Policy Changes. See this post by Tony Weiss ...

Norton Toolbar / Google Chrome 32 Compatibility issue

An update today brought Chrome out of BETA and to version 32.0.1700.76 to the Stable Channel Version. Not many like BETA software on their system.

Not a fix for the toolbar .. Norton is working on that.

I received the update via running 'About Google Chrome'.

More Info

Stable Channel Update Chrome 32.0.1700.76

Ed

Replies

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Toolbar missing .. Chrome no longer in BETA !

Ed, the weird thing here, is that on this site Chrome 32 is listed as final, and underneath it says Chrome 31 is now stable !

Does that mean v32 is not stable ?  

http://www.v3.co.uk/type/download-review

Windows 10 Home X 64 Norton Security Premium Latest Version
Kudos1 Stats

F4E wrote:

Ed, the weird thing here, is that on this site Chrome 32 is listed as final, and underneath it says Chrome 31 is now stable !

Does that mean v32 is not stable ?  

http://www.v3.co.uk/type/download-review

Hi F4E,

It's hard to say. The site you gave lists as you said .. Chrome 32.0.1700.76 as 'Final' and Chrome 31 as 'Stable' 

In the release notes I linked to it say's .. 'Promotion of Chrome 32 to the Stable Channel', which means it's out of BETA.

So who's to know. We get updated pretty regular at any given time. That's why for myself, I've always used the internal updater, so as not to be surprised or interrupted while doing something else. A week ago they unleashed that silent update on us which turned out to be in BETA without any input from me.

Last night I got the update to the Stable Channel, so we'll see how it goes. Except for the toolbar missing right now, the browser for me is running well.

Ed

Kudos0

another silent update I never knew or even downloaded until I checked and I was already updated.

Kudos1 Stats

Ed, it would be nice to think that once Chrome becomes final, that it WILL be stable.

I'm trusting Google less and less, these days.....

Windows 10 Home X 64 Norton Security Premium Latest Version
Kudos1 Stats

F4E wrote:

Ed, it would be nice to think that once Chrome becomes final, that it WILL be stable.

I'm trusting Google less and less, these days.....

My thoughts exactly. I don't want to have anymore BETA's thrown at me like they did !

Ed

Accepted Solution
Kudos2 Stats

My experience yesterday after receiving the patch, did not work on my end.

Instead, I had to go through some extra measures to regain the toolbar. Exported bookmarks from Chrome and did a reinstall. In the past, this normally picked up what I needed from Norton with no problem. Not this time. Still no toolbar and the reinstall even wiped out the Norton extension I had.

Ran the Norton Remove/Reinstall Tool to reinstall NIS. This did the trick. Manually running liveupdate presented me with all the usual updates, including (3) instances of NIS Product Updates and (4) instances of Norton Browser Toolbar Add Ons .. all of which required reboots as each one came up.

Ran liveupdate until there was nothing left. Did a final reboot, opened Chrome and there was my toolbar along with the updated NTB version .. 2014.6.4.11 as per Tony's announcement

The original patch didn't work at my end, so this was my solution.

My thanks to Tony Weiss and the Norton Team for getting our toolbar back.

Ed

Kudos0

MMMMMMMM I think I might just use Firefox!!

Kudos0

This is hopeless isn't it. 

I'm running Nortion Internet Security on XP. Some time ago I had problems with the toolbar being missing in Firefox. I tried reinstalling both Firefox and NIS but the problem persisted. The only solution I've found is to run an out-of-date version of Firefox! 

Now exactly the same problem with Chrome. 

Chrome "extensions" is reporting "Norton Identity Protection 2014.6.0.27" despite NIS being fully updated...

Kudos0

drjones wrote:

Now exactly the same problem with Chrome. 

Chrome "extensions" is reporting "Norton Identity Protection 2014.6.0.27" despite NIS being fully updated...

Hi drjones,

I'm not sure I understand correctly... assuming you have Chrome v32.0.1700.76, do you have the Norton toolbar in Chrome or is it missing?

If it is missing you could try what Edjr60 did to get it back, as per his post above.

It worked for me - for more info please see my posts in this thread

Windows 7 HP SP1 32-bit | Chrome 65.0.3325.146 | NS 22.12.1.15
Kudos0

drjones wrote:

This is hopeless isn't it. 

I'm running Nortion Internet Security on XP. Some time ago I had problems with the toolbar being missing in Firefox. I tried reinstalling both Firefox and NIS but the problem persisted. The only solution I've found is to run an out-of-date version of Firefox! 

Now exactly the same problem with Chrome

Hi Drjones,

In addition, if you were to try the Solution that worked for me, please be sure to backup/export your ID Safe data. Export to a safe location in Both the DAT and CSV formats.

I run XP also and this worked for me. Extremely important that you reboot/restart the computer as many times as prompted and continue to do so until no updates are left.

Norton Remove & Reinstall Tool

Ed

Kudos1 Stats

I joined and followed this issue with Chromium, their issue 333070.  Their final was:

To emphasize what #54 said. If your 3rd-party product is not using the extensions API to interface with Chrome and instead relying in some internal detail Chrome, your product WILL BE BROKEN at some point and your users will be unhappy.

It also is important to note that these changes are first visible in Chrome canary so 3rd party developers that do Q&A with canary get a 6 week warning of what is going to happen to the stable channel users.

Interested in Norton comments.  I've done an app dev or 2 and am not trying to start a **bleep** for tat.  You can see my priors in Chromium's issue.

Regards, Charles

Kudos0

I have Chrome Ver. 32.0.1700.76 m... It required me to use the check for the update repeatedly in Identity protection until I was able to get the toolbar working... I found that If I disable the features for example, safe search, safe share... It WORKED!!! I am happy that I got it working. 

THANKS!!!! 

higgie2331

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.