• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos3 Stats

SafeWeb icons AWOL... Again.

Just updated FF to v31, first search  -  no SafeWeb icons. 

I did search from the new search bar on the New Tab screen.

Yes, I have already received the toolbar patch and restarted.

N360v21.4  W7 x64

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: SafeWeb icons AWOL... Again.

Hello geek47

What can I share with you that you don't already know....

I run NIS w FF w NoScipt w AdBlock Plus w Ghostery w BetterPrivacy w WOT w hardware firewall w Sandboxie w SpywareBlaster w Blocking third party cookies. 

I have SafeWeb full page block based upon available info.

I have Firefox full page block for Malicious and Phishing sites based upon available info

I have WOT Icons and full page block based upon available info

I practice safe surfing and always browse Sandboxed. 

I keep my apps patched via PSI

I occasionally run scans w NIS, MBAM free, SAS free and Eset Online Scanner free

And yet M$ can still turn my machine into a doorstop w one bad update.

If I suspect anything.  I'll visit What-The-Tech for a checkup

I'm coping the best I can......

EDIT  Did not see Tony_Weiss update until I made post

Kudos3 Stats

If a user clicks a site with a green icon that has been infected since last tested, Norton won't block access to the site, since the malicious page block is based on the same site information as the icons.  But if a user clicks a site that would have had a red icon, even though the icons are missing, the page will still be blocked.  Otherwise your other points are correct.

The red icons are helpful in quickly showing which sites are known to have harbored malware.  The value of the green icons is less certain, since a poisoned ad can appear on any page at any time if the ad content provider is not diligent.  The icons are a useful tool for providing a quick way to spot known malicious sites in a page of Google search returns. 

Security consists of layers of protection.  The icons offer one layer.  The malicious page block is the next layer, and the many components of Auto-Protect are the next layers.  The whole idea is that if one layer fails, you still remain secure.  Obviously, some layers are critical and others serve only to augment the protection in useful, but less important ways.  The icons are useful, not critical.

Just because something is an advertised feature doesn't mean it can never break.  Stuff happens (in this case, because of something Mozilla did without caring that it would break extensions that users value highly).  If Symantec continued to promise this feature but did nothing to fix the problem, you would have a valid complaint.  However, I don't think any of us believe that Symantec is going to abandon this feature, we just disagree on whether this issue demands an immediate fix or not.  All I can say is that the problem of the missing icons might inconvenience some users, but it is not putting anyone at increased risk.

EDIT - Apologies for the redundant discussion of layers - I was typing my post and did not see that Tony had addressed this while I was composing my reply.  So consider this an independent affirmation of the security in layers approach. 

Kudos2 Stats

geek47 wrote:

Thanks for the update Tony !!!!

Some of the layers are invisible (providing protection but not visible ... especially to customers who are not tech savvy). Since the Web Safe icons are highly visible, their absence is painfully obvious (especially to those who are not aware of the other layers and might assume that the safety of their internet browsing is significantly compromised when the icons are not there to help them avoid bad sites).

Those customers, who might find this thread, will appreciate your status report.

Thanks again!

At the same time those users who are less tech savvy may for that very reason get a false sense of security from the green icon and just flatly and blindly assume that the site is always safe. Naturally we know that is NOT the case...that the icon is only a guide but in the end only has really significant meaning if it is NOT green (e.g., red or yellow). That then is a definite flag to stay away from that site.

I've seen it countless times on the forum where the less tech savvy users get too much of a false sense of security from these icons.

When it comes to safe online practices, everyone needs to be aware enough to know how to be safe. That does not mean being tech savvy really, but it does mean that people should know that the green icon is NOT a guarantee.

Best wishes,

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32* Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari. Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32
Kudos2 Stats

bjm, SoJ, and AllenM,

I agree with the points you made in your recent posts.

I think it's safe to say that we all agree the Safe Web icons are one of the layers of protection provided by Symantec's products, and that layer has been AWOL for 38 days (since July 22).

What we may not have agreed on was the need for some current status on the fix.

I'm thankful that Tony has provided that status.

Kudos1 Stats

Also as I've said many times, using Norton's DNS servers is another way to stay out of trouble.

I've been using them for ages with no discernible lag when browsing..

https://dns.norton.com/configurePC.html

Windows 10 Home X 64
Kudos0

Thanks so much for the WOT link. Looks promising.

Kudos2 Stats

Accepted Solution
Kudos3 Stats

Just wanted to take a moment to say THANK YOU - THANK YOU - THANK YOU for the Firefox Patch! It is so good to have SafeWeb icons showing up in Firefox again. Yay!

Kudos0

And so it's done; there is a Toolbar patch. Run Liveupdate, run patch or reboot (XP only) and the icons are back.

Regards, Hugo

W10 1809 and 1903 / W10 Insider / IE11 and FF 67, TB 60.7, NS 22.17, (Android 7 with NMS)
Kudos0

Yes, Finally! the safe search green icon is back!

Symantec has kept its word. They did tell me they wil have a patch in September!

I might as well keep WOT. Double checking with Norton safe search buton is even better!

Thank you.

Kudos2 Stats

Many Thanks and Kudos guys!

And you managed to do it before v32 goes "official release" too!

Very kind regards,

John

Kudos0

Are y'all talking about with FF 31 or with FF32's unoffical release?

Kudos0

yank wrote:

Are y'all talking about with FF 31 or with FF32's unoffical release?

FF31  SafeWeb Icons are back (don't know about FF32' unofficial release)

P.S. Too bad Product Update Announcements is stuck on EOA

Kudos1 Stats

OK - I'm a dummy - I saw where the Norton Browser Toolbar add-on had been downloaded earlier this AM, and I did not have any Safe web Icons in FF 31, but since that time I have rechecked and received a Patch, applied it and now I have the Safe Web Icons back in FF 31 with a NTB version change to 2014.7.7.13

I'll go back to my corner now!  Sorry!

Kudos0

They are finally back home.

Thanks to everyone for discussing this issue.

Kudos0

Like a long lost friend, they're back.

Yay!  Thank you Symantec.

Kudos0

I never lost fath in you guys for a second...

Kudos0

Yeah I can see clearly now the rain is gone

Kudos0

blue50moon wrote:

Yeah I can see clearly now the rain is gone

I Can See Clearly Now (The Rain Is Gone) - Jimmy Cliff

Kudos0

Hurray! Sooooooo happy they are back!

Thanks Norton!

Kudos0

Interestingly the new patch wiped out the safe web icons on FF30, which were working up until the patch.  I did update to FF31 last night (before the FF32 release) which then allowed the icons to work again.  Usually I stay on the most recent release of FF unless there are issues.  I stayed with FF30 to keep the icons working, but things seems to be fixed now.  Norton says they currently support FF30 and up, but I don't think the icons may work with 30.

Kudos0

Brocktoon wrote:
Interestingly the new patch wiped out the safe web icons on FF30, which were working up until the patch.

Hi Brocktoon:

I noticed the following at the bottom of the Firefox 32 Support for Norton Toolbar product update announcement:

Fixed the Safe Web Annotations issue for both Firefox 31 & Firefox 32

The Norton Toolbar should still be compatible with FF30, FF31 and FF32 but I don't see any mention of a bug fix for the Safe Web icons in Firefox 30.

-------------
MS Windows 32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox 31.0 * IE 9.0 * NIS 2013 v. 20.5.0.28
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3.0 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Kudos3 Stats

As you already know, The Safe Web Annotations issue has been fixed and works fine with Firefox 31 & Firefox 32 .

Thank you for reporting the Safe Web Annotations issue with Firefox 30. The team is looking into it.  

While the team looks into the issue with Firefox 30, Upgrading to Firefox 31 or Firefox 32 is recommended. 

I'll post an update if available.

Firefox 32 Support for Norton Toolbar - Original Announcement

Mohanakrishnan G | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.