• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos1 Stats

Norton Insight reports very few users to have explorer.exe

A few moments ago I run an 'insight' scan on my machine. Out of curiosity I sorted the results by 'community usage' and found out that 'explorer.exe' is really uncommon! How is that possible? The file is still rated as trusted. See image bellow

The same strange low community usage appears for additional common programs, even for Norton itself!

Thanks,

John

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton Insight reports very few users to have explorer.exe

I have the same results. I'm not sure why it says "Very Few" or "Few Users".

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Norton Security v.22.18.x
Kudos0

Y'all must be on Win 8 as my win 7 shows the following - please notice the version is different between yours and mine.

Kudos0

Yes, I'm on Win 8.1, which is internal version 6.3...

Kudos0

Hello

Mine looks like yank's since we both have Win 7. Win 8.1 is not a very popular operating system. It's popularity is like for Vista. That is why Win 10 is coming out so soon after Win 8 came out.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.18.0.213 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Still, we're not only 5 people on earth running Win 8 and Norton...

Kudos0

FWIW...

I don't know the cause of the odd Insight report, but it's not due solely to the use of a Windows 8/8.1 platform ...

Kudos0

Interesting that NS doesn't have too many users either!

ASUS G750JX - Windows 10 Pro x64 1607 (14393.953) - NS 22.9.0.71 - Firefox 52.0 x64
Kudos0

Yep, apparently not many people use Norton on Windows 8.1 because it's crap!!! (jk)

I prefer Windows 8.1 over 7 (jaw drop). Biggest complaints you'll hear about Windows 8 no start menu (the horror) and the silly start screen. I'm not sure why people have so many issues with Vista, 7 and 8. I've never run into anything I couldn't find a fix for.

Windows 10 will be the new go to operating system over 8, 7 or Vista.

Kudos0

SGFC,

I'll give you W10 over vista and W8 but I'm running W7 and W10 and still not fully convinced that W10 is enough better that I can't run W7 for a long time before I make W10 the OS of choice.

Dick Win 10x64 current current NSBU
Kudos0

Quick FYI and FWIW...

Microsoft's "Mainstream" support level for Windows 7 officially concluded January (2015)...

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/search/default.aspx?alpha=windows%207

Kudos0

hi tzon89

I agree that it seems very strange that Insight notes that there are so few users, it is the same for me with a number of common programs including Office on my Surface Pro using Windows 8.1. I find it difficult to understand that only 5 people use Norton and Office on 8.1. Insight doesn't really live upto the claims of Norton it does rely on human input from Norton in addition to scanning users devices.

For quite a considerable time I have been trying to find out how Insight actually works, just out of interest, and have learnt little but have found out little bits here and there. I recently had reason to contact Bret Lowry the new owner of Winpatrol about certain files that Norton quarantined who gave me a little information on the steps he had taken to inform Norton about the files used in his software where he had written confirmation from Norton to say that the files were to be accepted as safe but Insight were still flagging up the files as not safe. Like in all large organisations it takes time for these matters to spread to all parts.

Michael

Kudos0

It seems that this thread has turned to a Windows version comparison, which is not really relevant.

I understand that the 'collective intelligence' insight system has some 'inertia', as michaelsalis describes, but it still looks strange that it updates so slowly. And it is actually stranger that after upgrading (yesterday) to Win 10 Preview (built 10130), Insight gives me 'hundreds of users' for explorer.exe instead of 'less than 5' for Win 8.1. I don't know if this could also be a matter of location, different users connect to a different Symantec server based on their location (I guess).

Anyway, I bet the only people who can answer this are the ones who designed it.

Thanks,

John

Kudos0

@dickevans Normally I only run one operating system. Years back I ran three in a tri-boot (XP, Vista and 7). I really think Windows 10 is an improvement. There are still some strange things though. For example a Settings window and a control panel. Those two things should be in one window IMO. Also this Cortana crapola I don't need. At least Windows 10 will be free. So I can't complain much.

Kudos1 Stats

FWIW, this is what I got after running Norton Insight.

Windows 10 Pro v.1703 64-Bit / IE 11 / Firefox 55.0.3 / NSBU 22.10.1.10 / NU 16.0.2.53 / Veritas System Recovery 16 SP2
Kudos0

Win version preferences notwithstanding, I too have many "very few users" and "few users" on my Win 10 Build 10147 64-bit with NS beta Build 22.5.0.120. I put my money on the newness of Win 10 AND NS beta triggering those responses. Yes, millions are running Win 10, but the number of Norton Community members for my current build is less than five! There must be a critical mass of file users in Norton's configuration that currently results in the low number of users for Win 10.

Re other versions of Windows, it seems NS beta is not functioning as would be expected. Gayathri, any feedback from your end?

John E. Windows 10 Pro x64 Build 14393.321 on Lenovo ThinkPad E535 & HP Pavilion 6610F
Kudos1 Stats

Hello

As far as I know, the Beta testing of 22.5.0.120 is over. The regular 22.5.0.120 has been released to some users although the update through Live Update has been pulled.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.18.0.213 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Similarly Norton Security reports fewer than five users in the Norton Community of the latest version of Skype, which is not credible. I was told by a Norton Support Agent that this information can be wrong but advised still to trust a file marked as Trusted by Norton, even though the number of users is clearly wrong.

Kudos0

Hello Chris

Norton Security reports that my Skype has many users with a Trusted value from Norton. Of course there are many different versions of Skype also as well as different operating systems.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.