• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

NIS 25.5.2.15 and Disk optimization

My NS was updated to 25.5.2.15. Everything except one minor are working perfectly.

One minor issue - NS said, "Attention Required - Performance needs a fix". However, I enabled ALL performance items except idle optimizer and disk optimizer. I disabled idle optimizer and disk optimization on purpose because I already have Raxco Perfectdisk software (Disk Optimizer) installed. I do not want NS to conflict with Raxco Perfectdisk.

I will ignore NS attention regarding PC performance until further updates are installed to fix this issue.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: NIS 25.5.2.15 and Disk optimization

hi Daniel

Have you "uncrossed" the box for Disc Optimisation in the Tasks Scheduling section of Settings?

Michael 

Kudos0

Daniel

One minor issue - NS said, "Attention Required - Performance needs a fix". However, I enabled ALL performance items except idle optimizer and disk optimizer. I disabled idle optimizer and disk optimization

Did you make that change before or after the Attention Required warning?

I got a similar message on my Windows 8 testbed installation and have come to the conclusion that, once you get that "warning", disabling the Optimize in Idle Time setting does not make the warning disappear afterwards.

I'm in Windows 7 now and using NIS still (it's a multiboot machine) and I have not been back to 8 to see if I still get it after closing down and restarting it. But I will be and I'll report back.

Hugh
Kudos0

Daniel,

I just checked my NSwBU on Windows 10 B10240 and as I indicated before for Windows 8, it stays on the Warning to Fix Performance even after restarting the computer. And this was a Restart and not a Shut Down / Start so the save to disk should not have persisted.

Hugh
Kudos0

I already uncrossed the box for Disc Optimisation in the Tasks Scheduling. I did that BEFORE my Norton Security was updated to Norton Security 25.5.2.15.

Before update to 25.5.2.15, Norton Security reported ALL performance items are OK and did not issue attention warning.

Once updated to 25.5.2.15, Norton Security issued attention warning for PC performance. I know Norton Security needs to be updated again to fix this issue shortly.

Kudos0

Daniel,

I forgot to ask what version of Windows you are using?

Hugh
Kudos0

Hello

I originally had the PC needs a Fix. I remember I turned off 2 optimizations and that fixed the issue. I now have a green protection and all is ok.For optimization, it shows not available. I ran 1 Internet Explorer Temporary File cleanup and that satisfied the problem. The other File Cleanup items I don't run. Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.18.0.213 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

I just tried Optimize on my hybrid tablet -- a convertible notebook -- that has Windows 8.1 and NSwBU on it and it began to run Optimize although the main drive is neither disk nor SSD but eMMC system memory. It did Analyze and then began to Optimize so I cancelled just to see what happens.

I just started up the tablet again after a shutdown and it has not put up any warning on the Norton GUI nor in Performance saying it was interrupted.

FWIW

Hugh
Kudos0

Microsoft Windows 8.1 operating system.

Kudos0

Well. My Norton Security had been further updated (very minor) to fix Disk Optimization issue. Norton Security downloaded Norton Submission Control Data Update and installed this update. All I have to do is just run Fix. Fortunately, this fix will only perform file clean ups WITHOUT disk optimization and it successfully cleared the attention warning. File cleanups are OK because file cleanups NEVER conflict with any software. Disk Optimization did not run as it should NOT run because disk optimization conflict with Raxco Perfectdisk software (Disk Optimizer software).

Thank you so much!

Kudos0

danielcg:

Microsoft Windows 8.1 operating system.

In that case "defrag" is in fact carrying out the Trim command which is designed for SSD drives .....

I would think it desirable to leave it enabled since it does it is designed to deal with what happens to SSDs after periods of use with write/delete operations. 

I don't know Raxco Perfectdisk but most third party defraggers/optimizers (including Norton's) use the Windows built in function and merely tell it what it thinks is best to fiddle with like where to put files on the disk ..... which now has little effect on traditional disk hard drives which have enormous caches where the work is done and no longer park the heads at the outside of the disk and so files located there don't get reached any more quickly. Plus the NTFS file system breaks files up into pieces for storage optimally on the disk so joining them up again is a waste of time!

This is factual technical information provided to me on another forum by a former designer of hard disks for most of the major companies who knows what he is talking about!

Hugh

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.