• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos61 Stats

Please bring back the Network Security Map feature

The current version of Norton Security removed the "Network Security Map" feature that was available in earlier versions.

This feature was very handy (at least to me) and I would like to have it available again.

mike o'neill

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Please bring back the Network Security Map feature

Dear Symantic

I agree it is about time you answered this issue, having talked to your representatives online and got no decent response you should at least respect your long time users or lose them......................:(

Kudos0

IMHO NSM had usability issues. I found it difficult to get the Map to accurately reflect the devices on my simple home network. I'll cast a ray of hope here and say that perhaps it's being reworked for re-incorporation into a later release. I sure hope no one is holding their breath for it though. Despite its failings it was useful though primitive in its utility.

Kudos0

It is very use full to me bring it back

Kudos1 Stats

We, the users NEED the Network Security Map. Many years ago, the image of Peter Norton in shirt sleeves on the box graphics conveyed a message of TRUST, INTEGRITY, and COMPETANCE.  As an IT professional, (MCSE,) I urged clients to ensure that all their machines were protected by the latest Norton product.   Now what do I say?  Symantec may have retained the Norton trademark, but NOT my trust!

Arbitrarily removing a feature without offering the user a refund seems to be skirting the legal protections against fraud.  Not the image that a trustworthy corporation should be  cultivating.

Symantec,  at least, have the courtesy to respond to the numerous users on this thread.

Kudos1 Stats

SemperFi59:

..."We, the users NEED the Network Security Map. Many years ago, the image of Peter Norton in shirt sleeves on the box graphics conveyed a message of TRUST, INTEGRITY, and COMPETANCE.  As an IT professional, (MCSE,) I urged clients to ensure that all their machines were protected by the latest Norton product.   Now what do I say?  Symantec may have retained the Norton trademark, but NOT my trust!

Arbitrarily removing a feature without offering the user a refund seems to be skirting the legal protections against fraud.  Not the image that a trustworthy corporation should be  cultivating."...

Purely an opinion...

There are those among us who say, or to further degree, would prefer that we believe, that such matters are fully covered by, and irrevocably protected under, the proclamations made and encapsulated within, the company's boilerplate EULAs -  particularly under the auspices of binding arbitration, typically included in the jargon of such instruments. But the actual truth of which, of course, is that these cited exemptions are very often muted or otherwise nullified in many places and locations where such "escapes" are deemed illegal, non-binding or otherwise, exempt from enforcement...

I for one tend not to agree with the position of blanket protectionism under EULA decree - mostly because to do so implies your (supposed) willingness and acceptance to waive your reasonable expectations of "FITNESS AND MECHANTIBILITY" for a company's product (for which you have interest in utilizing).

But still - and too, very unfortunately - this seems to have become the presumed protection umbrella typically used by many companies as their accepted guidance on such matters - At least until such time as the positions are vacated due to their being challenged in court actions and subsequently (in whole or in part,) won in favor of the challenging plaintiffs.

IMHO...

Cheers!
John

Kudos1 Stats

Bring back the map ! Bring back the map ! Bring back the map !

Kudos1 Stats

Adding my vote to this feature.  I must admit it was probably the one feature that had me opening up the application to accomplish something, (I have laptops that connect to at least three different networks regularly).  The rest of the time it just sat in my tray as if it wasn't doing anything more than Windows Firewall and Smartscreen.  Almost as if I didn't even need the application anymore...

Kudos1 Stats

Yes. Bring back the map. Why would you remove it to begin with. Unless I'm missing another way of checking to see who is on your network....

Bring back the map! 

Kudos2 Stats

Restore the Network Map to NIS v22.5.2.15 now!

It was a clear and useful feature for examining the status of my home network system, and I want it back!

Kudos0

Would like to have the network map back also. Very useful. And greatly missed!!
Kudos3 Stats

I am the volunteer IT guy at a small church.  We have about 7 computers that our staff (a few paid, most volunteers) uses.  We also provide WiFi for group meetings, services, and weddings.  I have long used Norton products at the church and on multiple machines at home.  I have long recommended Norton products to others.

The Network Security Map was very helpful tool.  It allowed me to do a better job and was one of the few tools and displays that really helped amateurs understand the status of our decisions.  Most of your displays and documentation are incomprehensible to lay people.

It is clear that you are feeling very anxious about your future since I spend most of my time recently trying to figure how to shut off your constant begging messages that are driving my users nuts.  You are very wise to worry about being summarily dropped and replaced by Windows Defender.  When you delete features that help us (without notice) and badger us by abusing our users you certainly make Windows Defender look attractive.

Kudos3 Stats

A new version of NIS loaded automatically yesterday. My initial impression was that my device had been updated with some 1990's software by accident. But no, this was indeed the latest iteration.  A cursory check indicated that most functionality was present in one form or another, with one glaring omission - where was the invaluable, indispensible Network Security Map feature? An immediate on-line call to Norton Support led to a fruitless chat with " Technician" Vikas who directed me towards Network Trust and Device Trust under Settings. Having informed "Vikas the technician" (sorry, couldn't take his advice seriously) that these options clearly did not offer the same functionality, he subsequently revealed that the Network Security Map had been "disable(removed)" (his words) as a result of customer feedback. To my suggestion that those who provided this particular feedback neither understood nor utilised the facility, Vikas provided a link for submission of feedback. Exasperated, I ended the chat.

As a small business owner who's required to assume many roles, one of which is Network Administrator, the requirement for a such a highly effective tool as Network Security Map for monitoring network traffic cannot be overstated. Until this release, I considered the level of functionality offered by NIS to be essential in maintaining some degree of system integrity and control. However, without Network Security Map, I'm compelled to seek out viable alternatives.

Well done, Symantec.

Kudos3 Stats

I never understood why NIS had both a LAN and a TRUST area for devices, but the complete elimination of the network map is a real step backwards.  The network discovery feature often lost the user edited information but at least the MAC address was retained.  I really object to having to reenter all of my 27 various device MACs into every one of my eight computers so that I can move information on our home LAN.

I installed the latest Norton Security on five of my computers and found out none of them can talk to any others.  We also have two network attached storage devices which also serve as our multimedia servers.  Can't see them either.  I need to start typing in MAC addresses and see how the first few work out.  I really object to the fact I can't edit existing entries, even to enter names of IPs.  The four MAC addresses that were "detected" by device trust don't even come close to any I have and I have all the wired and wireless MAC for all our devices.

Don't know the impact on the other devices which use our wired and wireless LAN.  I know I won't be buying NS for any mobile or tablet devices.  The other three computers have specific uses and I can take them off the net with usb file storage and backup until I find out if NS is what we really want or Norton fixes the mapping problem.

Another neat feature would be to permit import of a CSV file to populate the device list.  Another option would be to permit backup/export of the device list and import into another device.  Maybe all the settings as well since we are going to five and ten seat licenses.

I spent twenty-five years programming or managing business projects and one rule we always tried to follow was not to change the user interface when we introduced new features.  Today, the trend seems to be "make it pretty" and change the user interface into a new learning experience.

Kudos1 Stats

I will add my voice, humble as it is, saying that I depended on the map to help me know what was attached to the network, make sure no one was riding from the outside.  Searched and searched until I realized it simply was gone.  I have Norton installed on three networks, home church and work all on automatic update and now I am simply puzzled about where to go next.  At least at home I have NetGear r6200v3 router with Netgear Genie that shows the same thing and there was some question as to what was what hence my fruitless search.  Over and out.

Kudos2 Stats

The map was one of the features I appreciated most. That's why I kept renewing.

Otherwise, for just the basic features, one of the free antivirus/firewall alternatives will do for me.

Kudos2 Stats

Please bring it back. It was the feature I used most often.

Kudos2 Stats

Bring back Network Map

Kudos2 Stats

I can't believe that Symantec has removed one of the most useful tools.  Bring back the Network Security Map.

Kudos1 Stats

BRING IT BACK OR I WILL BE MOVING ON...

Kudos1 Stats

I've had some version of Norton Antivirus software on ALL my computers for the last 10 years, and I've upgraded each time to the N360 Premier Multi-Device.  I have been VERY happy with the products AND the customer service I've received from Symantec over the years.  But...that network security map was VERY important to me.  If that feature is not reinstated, then I may have to count down the last 344 days of having Norton while I search for software that Does have a network security map.

Thank you.

Kudos1 Stats

I can see Norton's are not listing my renewal is due now they have lost 6 of my systems

Kudos1 Stats

Just one voice out of many but every vote should be important: Please bring back the Network Security Map feature.

THX

Kudos1 Stats

Yes the network map was needed to see the trust levels between network components...  No map, No renewal...

Kudos1 Stats

I used the Network Security Map frequently, as well and would like to see its return. Poorly thought out decision to eliminate it with no notice or alternative.

Kudos1 Stats

Bring back Network Security Map!

Why aren't the folks in charge of customer experience replying to these posts?

Are they just not watching at all.

Are there too few personnel resources to deal with the amount of forum traffic?

It was THE MOST USEFUL feature of NIS , right after the basic actual antivirus and firewall features..

Usually features are deleted when they get buggy and nobody can figure out why, or in the case where the feature is "moved up the value chain" so that a customer has to buy a higher level of support or software to get the feature.

What a disappointment.  Management asleep at the wheel, or not caring, or not apportioning sufficient resources.

Kudos1 Stats

Same response again - Please bring back the Network Security map feature. Just when I wanted to use it, I find its gone

and then find this forum to explain where it went. It was one of the more 'useful' items of software!

Kudos1 Stats

Please bring it back

Kudos1 Stats

Please return it, even as an add-on, if it was so little used.

I did use it, and found it a very useful security monitoring tool--just what I wanted in my Norton 360.

Secondarily--Norton needs to update their site help for the Network Map, to say it has been removed.

Kudos1 Stats

I didn't use the Map often but when I did use it I NEEDED IT.

Now I need it again and it is no longer there. Please bring it back as without it the product has just a kot of its usefulness and it looks like a new replacement package in the near future

BRING BACK THE MAP

Kudos1 Stats

I, like many, didn't discover that the Norton Security Map was no longer on the latest version of Norton Internet Security until after I had renewed my subscription and installed the new version on multiple computers. With the kids gaming with their friends and video streaming, not to mention multiple wireless cell phones, tablets, wifi TVs, and laptops, it was the only way for me to keep track of who was on my network. I need to be able to see the network details including the connection, trust level, and MAC & IP addresses. I cannot do this with the latest version of Norton Internet Security. Why would you exclude this useful feature? I assume it was "broken" otherwise why would you mess with it? Please bring it back...and sooner than the next renewal version.
Kudos1 Stats

Please bring the feature back!  Coincidence maybe, but removal of the feature coincided with Lenovo Access Connections utility being blocked from scanning as well ....????  Anyone else with the problem?  Many issues with this product update and functionality on my 64 bit Windows 7 platforms and no answers from support..."fixes are coming"....

Kudos1 Stats

*I* am having network connection issues since network map has been removed!!  I am seething now that I see this has been removed.  What is wrong with Norton?  In any event, I have been having issues with network connection dropping all day, every day.  I have been around with network provider (twc) countless times.  We have a new modem router, new cable, work done at the road and down the road!!  We even tried starting new SERVICE!  Still - connections keep dropping.  I suspected my laptop, but hardware checks out.  Logic then leads one to configuration changes - of ANY sort.  I could not think of ANYTHING that had changed since this started (months ago) and today it hit me - the norton update/upgrade.  The one and same where they took away the network map.  Their newest and greatest offering is now nothing more than a collection of bloatware programs.  I am turning N360 off to verify, but everything points to this.  Something besides removing network map took place, but the fact I NO LONGER HAVE THE MAP makes it a bit harder to identify 100%.  I will know in a few hours, however.  Let ya know on that one.  However, the removal of a component as important to many of us as our right arm is inexcusable and as soon as I can, Norton will be replaced.  It's not only the loss of this vital feature, but also the principle of the thing-- I do not appreciate the lack of any heads up or change log waved in our face to let us know what we lost.  Instead, Norton leaves us to find out the very hard way.  Could it be because advance warning would have resulted in loss of return sales/subscriptions?

--A Really Ticked off N360 user and longtime customer ready to walk

BlueBoxBlonde
Kudos0

Possibly a driver issue with your network adapter? Check the current driver version (date installed) compared to the start of your connection problem (months ago). If related, one might try rolling back the driver to the previous version.
Kudos1 Stats

BlueBoxBlonde,   Check your device trust setting addresses, either MAC or static IP.

I went though the process of entering all of our MAC addresses for five of our computers plus two network attached storage devices.  Next day, they had all disappeared on all of the computers.  I was finally able to get their static IPs to stick but only for four of the five computers, neither of the NAS linux devices though.

So far I can see a win 7 PC (Enet), two 8.1 WL PC, and a Enet printer.  That leaves 3 Win XP PCs (Enet) and a Enet Vista PC not showing in the file explorer Network folder.  Every thing was up and seeing each other before the "upgrade" to NS from NIS.

All of the windows boxes are showing all the others in their full OS network maps, I just can't get to the ones missing from the Network folder.  I've been using a workaround by creating desktop shortcuts to the missing machines using their device names.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it! (Norton)

Kudos1 Stats

Well, here we go.

Even though I had specifically disallowed the "update to new version" on the settings page, Norton, in it's infinite wisdom, somehow managed to "update" my Norton 360 on the one remaining computer I had in-house that was still running the old version of Norton 360 that still had the Network Security Map feature intact. Oh, and guess what, now none of my computers can see their NAS backup destination. Way to go Norton. I guess there's no reason to keep you around any longer.

I have some really choice words for you guys at Norton/Symantec.

Kudos1 Stats

The reason the Security Map is gone is that Norton 360 appears to me to be Norton Internet Security 2015 rebadged as Norton 360.

It appears that Symantec is trying to pull a fast one on everyone! Why didn't they just tell us.

NetGear has a free program called NETGEARgenie that does a similar job to the security map thaty I am using and when my subscription is up I will look at what alternatives there are to N360 in the market.

Kudos2 Stats

Yes, I use the Netgear Genie model routers, which are great in that respect, but the most benefit of the Security Map to me was when travelling.  It enabled viewing how many people were using a particular Wi-Fi connection at say a resort or hotel, and choose one less congested. It makes a huge difference. Now without the Security Map there is no clue if a particular Wi-Fi spot is over-utilized except a blind game of hide and seek. 

Kudos1 Stats

128 days to go and auto-renewal has been cancelled. Bring it back.........

Kudos1 Stats

fwiw and off subject, but connection issue WAS all TWC. after 6 months and as many tech calls, I finally dragged the tech to outside connectors...2 empty ports on a 3 way splitter! he got it and I now have the dedicated line I ordered long ago. it was that and a bad firmware update pushed out to modems. this troubleshooting and swapping out network devices on their part illustrated a darn good reason to bring back network map. for information that is easily accessible and in troubleshooting network issues, I really missed this very practical and useful tool. I see Symantec could care less. It is ok...that means they wont be bothered when I and many others refuse to renew subscription.
BlueBoxBlonde
Kudos1 Stats

Bring it back.  With improvements.  - Vet

Words of Wisdom: ["THE ROAD TO HELL IS PAVED WITH GOOD INTENTIONS"] - Grandparents [There has never been an original thought.] - Someone, I'm sure [I've spent my whole life 'polishing turds'] - Me
Kudos1 Stats

Another customer in favor of bring back the network map, a very useful feature and irreplaceable. Thanks.

Kudos1 Stats

my voice with you guys 

Kudos0

What they all said!!  This was one of the more usable features of this software and helped justify the cost!!  Please, sooner than later and not with a new price attached!!  Thank you Mike for starting this!

Kudos0

Yes, the Network Security Map is one of the most useful features of Norton 360/Norton Internet Security. Given that I'm not crazy about having to depend on the cloud for on-demand scans, and since the Norton interface gets even more hideous with each new version, eliminating the Network Security Map is a third reason for me to stay away from the new Norton Security. If and when N360 and NIS no longer work, or stop getting definitions updates, I'll be shopping for a new AV vendor to replace my two licenses.

Has a Symantec employee explained anywhere (to the public) the reason for removing the Network Security Map? The lack of explanation suggests a lack of interest in customers' preferences, and in a way that's even more maddening than the sudden removal of this feature.

Kudos0

JorgeA:

Has a Symantec employee explained anywhere (to the public) the reason for removing the Network Security Map? The lack of explanation suggests a lack of interest in customers' preferences, and in a way that's even more maddening than the sudden removal of this feature.

After this particular feature's extinction, numerous employees have volunteered an answer of, (paraphrasing) "...because it was determined that too few were utilizing the feature to warrant its furtherance...".

This (paraphrased) response has also been given to similar queries regarding other redacted functionalities.

We are left on our own to ponder the mechanisms by which such determinations are made...

Kudos1 Stats

avjohnnie:
JorgeA:

After this particular feature's extinction, numerous employees have volunteered an answer of, (paraphrasing) "...because it was determined that too few were utilizing the feature to warrant its furtherance...".

This (paraphrased) response has also been given to similar queries regarding other redacted functionalities.

We are left on our own to ponder the mechanisms by which such determinations are made...

Thanks for filling me in on that.

The less functionality that Norton features, the more it comes to resemble other AV products... and therefore the less reason there is to stay with Norton.

Kudos0

Add my vote to the bring back the Network Map!  The useful and well designed  network map having gone means that adding pc's to the network is now a horrible process. Surely easy visibility of devices on a users network and ease of management is an important aspect of security?

Version 22.5.4.24 takes the user backwards in other areas too:.The pc doesn't stay in "sleep" mode which surely is a basic feature of pc use (the user has to modify the Norton scheduled task to fix it) and the revised interface is a big backward step in readability - it's not differentiated enough (or at all) with background(s) so it's harder to see and the text contrast is poor making it worse still.

Let's hope Norton takes notice and improves as free products like Avira are getting pretty much as good results in AV testing. If NIS falls behind in useability it's attraction  will greatly diminish.

Norton management take note!

Kudos0

Bring back the Network Security Map.  I use version 22.5.4.24 and no network map.  I have used that feature to quickly add and check devices for some time on previous versions.  I am aware of the "new" trust feature where an IP is entered manually, but this entails going to each device to get the IP address.   The map provided an easy and quick way for me to manage and monitor my network for security.

Also "Angry IP scanner" is not malware but Norton Security Suite flags it on each install.  I have to exclude it so I have a utility that performs some of the tasks the network map provided.

Removing it was not a good idea, PLEASE bring it back.  It was an excellent tool and I see no reason why it was removed. 

Kudos0

Another customer would like Norton tp bring back the network map. This has proved a very useful feature to me in the past. Thanks

Kudos0

I do not use the Network Security Map all that often but when I need it, it is very helpful.

For me this feature set Norton apart from other antivirus offerings.