• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Norton Security 2015 corrupted my hard disk

I recently installed Norton Security 2015 OEM 90 days trial and I saw the performance feature. I clicked on optimize disk and it was finished quickly. Only C drive was optimized others didn't need as it said. Later my PC start hang and I manual restart the PC (I was using windows 10 x64) but window startup screen was just rolling up and it didn't open. I thought it must be a virus problem so I decided to format my PC. I boot form DVD and setup was taking too long to load and finally I tried to format C drive but it failed and again I reboot and didn't saw any partition. I took my PC to a technician and he said your hard disk is damaged you need to change it. I asked for data recovery but he said it is not possible in my area. You must have understand how I felt all my videos, photos and datas were gone.... They installed Windows 10 64 bit on new hard disk and I again decided to install same Norton security OEM 90 days free trial after 7 days. I didn't use disk optimization feature and I felt my hard disk is safe but what I later found is Optimize Disk feature runs in the background when the computer is idle. Firstly my PC start hang and I doubted that it is the same problem. I restart my PC and later went to the Settings and disabled disk optimization from Task Scheduling option. 

Now everything is OK but Symantec need to think about this bug that caused me a heavy loss.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton Security 2015 corrupted my hard disk

Strange as run Win 10 & have had no problems with using the optimisation feature of Norton Security w/ Backup.

How old is the computer? Even if it's new the HD (or other components) can still fail, I had a Win 7 laptop where the keyboard failed after 4 months.

Virginia/Twilight Princess. Windows 10 Pro 64bit, iPhone X, iPad Pro 9.7".
Kudos0

hi Sofy Shriddhi

Norton itself does not defrag it's really only a scheduler for the Windows defrag tool, so using Norton will just tell Windows when to run a defrag.

I've found it best to turn off the Norton settings and let/schedule Windows to run by itself although it may not have made any difference to your difficult situation.

Michael

Kudos0

Michael is correct.  Norton only uses Windows own Disk Optimiser but takes over the schedule.

If you want to stop Norton from Optimising your disks you should also go to Settings > Administrative Settings > Idol Time Optimiser > Off > Apply.

Norton would of Disabled the Windows Disk Optimiser scheduled task too, so you may need to re-enable the schedule.

Windows 10 x64 1903
Kudos0

@Michael and Krusty

1. Open Norton Security 2015 

2. Click on performance

3. Then click on optimize disk

It will start optimizing your hard disk not the windows defragmentator. For Proof please check the attached file. I don't know if the Norton Security 2015 90 days that I downloaded and installed is different but it says its OEM version. Please check it by yourself.

& @Doctor9fan

The detail of my computer is:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2120 @ 3.30GHz 3.30GHz

RAM: 4GB

Hard Drive: .Western Digital 500GB which was damaged by Norton (I believe) and now the new one is 1000GB or 1 TB.

Kudos0

I am not worried because my hard drive was damaged but technician said file recovery is not possible. And even if anyone can recover my data from hard drive, I have my personal and confidential file over there which I don't want others to access or see.

Kudos0

I wouldn't take too much notice of what is posted on a third-party site.

Norton DOES use Windows Defrag tool, but that's fine.  If you want to take the word of a third-party site that's your prerogative.

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/norton-security-with-backup/22.5.2.15/solutions/v95982396_EndUserProfile_en_us

I'm done here.

Windows 10 x64 1903
Kudos0

I am not posting or bothering anybody anymore but lastly check the attached video about what happens when I go to Settings > Administrative Settings > Idol Time Optimiser > Off > Apply.

I am done too!

File Attachment: 
Kudos0

Sorry, but I am not about to open an zipped files posted on a security forum.

Windows 10 x64 1903

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.