• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Firefox 41.0 and Norton Tool Bar

I am disappointed that Norton cannot keep up with the Firefox changes.  While Norton 360 is a find product, there are other Antivirus programs that work just as well. If I do not update my firefox than it is more subject of viruses, but, if I update it then I lose the security of the Norton Tool Bar.   This is lose lose for the user. Your solution to wait until the end of October is not a good one for security is it?

Replies

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Firefox 41.0 and Norton Tool Bar

Windows 10 x64 1903
Kudos0

I had already read the link you provided and it does not solve the current problem.  It says wait to get a partial fix.  The suggestion to use another browser is like saying use another anti virus program to stay safe. I will continue to use firefox 40.0.3 and hope that norton continues to protect me from the security risks.

Kudos0

I am speculating on this, but after reading another thread on the dissatisfaction with Ask being used as a Safe Search browser, I think Ask may be causing the problem. Ask is a known adware enabler, as is SafeSearch, and will even allow browser hijacking. If you aren't familiar with that, browser hijacking occurs when the PUP takes over your browser, resets your browser home page setting to Ask or SafeSearch and will not allow you to change it back. Then adware will start appearing and you cannot get rid of it until you uninstall Ask and SafeSearch from the Control Panel, and disable the Norton Toolbar.

The conflict with Firefox is that Firefox v40 and later have a website verification feature to proven adware infections and I believe Ask (which powers the search feature of the toolbar) will conflict with it as it is a known adware PUP (Potentially Unwanted Program). Norton is supposedly working with Mozilla to resolve the conflict but Norton seems very reluctant to get rid of Ask even though many users have complained about it.

Personally, as much as I love Norton internet security programs, I am looking for alternatives for when my license expires in January - unless Norton concedes and finds a way for Ask to be disabled at the user's option, without periodic nag screens appearing to hook the user back into it. I consider this corporate extortion with the only solution to change to a competing product; how can a protection program install a search engine that enables the very infections the program is designed to detect?

Kaspersky is an excellent security program but many casual users find it hard to set up and run; it is also more expensive than Norton. NIS, N360 etc are much easier and just as effective. McAfee just isn't as effective as Norton or Kaspersky. Norton products are excellent, but if I have to put up with adware an browser hijacking in order to sue it, I will depart the fold (after 26 years).

Perhaps the best solution is to write to Symantec and complain about this partnership with Ask. Tell them you don't want it and if necessary you will buy a competing product; if enough users do this and sales, renewals and revenues drop, they will have to do something.

Kudos0

May I suggest in the meantime that you all use Goggle Chrome which is fine with NTB... Then you will have the toolbar and the security that you want. When Symantec has released a new version which is compatible with Firefox 41.0 you can then go back to using Firefox again. But you also have to take into account, bug fixes and security fixes for Firefox which means by the time Symantec have released the new toolbar Firefox may be on 42.0 or even higher. Thus has no reflection on Symantec, far from it. creating a new toolbar is going to take a lot of man hours... and a hell of a lot of coding. Then they have to test it in-house before it is released and all this is going to take time.

So in the meantime, may I suggest using Goggle Chrome if you want the use of a toolbar for extra security then use this instead. Symantec cannot wave a magic want and all of the sudden they have a toolbar for their customers. Firefox 41.0 is not the same  as the previous build and a lot of changes have been made which unfortunately has a knock-on effect with everything else.

Kudos1 Stats

Norton toolbar is also compatible with IE...but that's not the problem as far as I'm concerned. As long as the toolbar uses the Ask search engine and it allows browser hijacking, the toolbar is useless. Besides, the Ask search engine is one of the least efficient search engines anywhere.

Kudos0

I know but MSIE is sh** and it uses Flash which is full of security flaws... whereas Chrome doesn't need to used Flash Player...?

Kudos0

Just sayin' the toolbar is functional in IE....but I've ditched IE in favor of Firefox too because IE v11 has too many instabilities. I had to uninstall the Yahoo toolbar because it kept opening multiple copies of its website, which blocked use of the browser. Even Yahoo now recommends Firefox or Chrome over IE.

No wonder it's been replaced in Windows 10.

I tried Chrome but prefer Firefox. Be that as it may, until Norton discontinues the use of Ask the Norton toolbar is a security risk regardless of which browser it's installed in.

What I really wish for is a Google toolbar for more recent versions of Firefox and versions to come. In my experience it's the best search engine available.

Kudos0

I don't understand the part about the Norton toolbar being a security risk.  It says Norton Safe search and the links it provides are rated as to their safety???  I have Google search in Firefox(see search at the top right of firefox, it lets you pick what you may want to use as a search engine and it includes Google in my firefox 40.0.3) and also in my browser home page and it does not tell you whether the links are safe or not???

Kudos0

pdef1949 just noticed your earlier post about Ask powering the norton tool bar.  I was unaware that this was a security risk.  To date I have had no problems with using the Norton Tool Bar.  I sometimes get the PUPs when I download updates for programs from sites like CNET and some others, but, I scan with malwarebytes on regular basis and it gets rid of them.  Would be nice if Norton did the same.

Kudos1 Stats

You can disable Safe Search in the toolbar and then use any search engine you want.

Also for protection for your browser try this free program from Malwarebytes.

https://www.malwarebytes.org/antiexploit/

Also the problem with FF41 has nothing to do with Ask. Mozilla made a change as how the add-ons work and they announced this change in May and released it in FF41.

Jim

Kudos0

If Mozilla announced the change in May than Norton should have had plenty of time to address the problem.  I pay a lot to use Norton and nothing to use Firefox.  Surely, Norton can afford to keep up with the latest like Norton does with the viruses.

Kudos0

Hello

For information about Firefox 41 and the Norton Toolbar, please see this.

Please see this Permalink. Just click on it.

In IE11, if you go to Manage your Add-ons, you can pick the Search Engine that you want. You do not have to use Ask Search Engine. I have mine set for Google as a first choice. Just list Ask further down the list of preferred Search Engines and you won't get any nag screens about using Ask. I would guess the other supported browsers would have something similar in picking your Search Engine. There is a list of allowed Search Engines listed some where on the Microsoft website. Sorry, I don't know what the link is now.

Thanks.       

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.19.8.65 Core Firmware 282 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

"Symantec cannot wave a magic want"  Why not, Norton apparently was aware of this since May, this is October.  We pay for their services and every year it gets more expensive.  Apparently this is not a priority.

Kudos0

Internet Explorer, YES

Firefox, NO

Google Chrome, YES

--

--

Two out of three ain't bad.

The alternative browser based on Chrome, called SlimJet (from the Flashpeak Company), will also accept and effectively run the Norton Toolbar and Identity-Safe.  Now the opportunities become better than  two out of three..., becoming three out of four.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.