• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Norton Security v22.5.2.15 NS Product Update fails repeatedly

Everytime I run Live Update on v22.5.2.15 of Norton Security (the new product) on my Windoze XP SP3 box , it goes through the motions and usually finds several things to update unless I do it in quick succession, however whereas updates get processed as expected, I keep getting one persistent error that displays as

NS Product Update
Update Criticality: Recommended

But when I click on the "More Information" link, it opens Firefox and ends up at a page that announces "The document that you are looking for is unavailable" and has reference to the superseded Nortons products like 360, NIS, etc. The live update worked fine for several weeks after installation of this product (I previously had 360)  then suddenly popped this problem and no amount of Live Updates will make it go away. What's weirder is there have been a couple of times it has had a second NS Product Update listing in green in the downloads underneath this one in red that claims to have installed the second one correctly. Any ideas?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton Security v22.5.2.15 NS Product Update fails repeatedly

I had the same problem (different device) and found an easy fix: 1. CLOSELY read, then follow this link: https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v60392881_End... 2. After restart and product initialization it will read "starting///////////////////////////////////" at the bottom of the install window. It stopped responding many times, but after several minutes the installation successfully completed. 3. Then adjust your product's settings as necessary (if you had ever changed them outside their default levels).
Kudos0

Hello blah blah

Does your XP computer meet the minimum requirements to run  Norton Security? If it does meet the minimum requirements, it does sound like you might have a corrupted installation of Norton Security. I would follow the KB support article that 1emanresu
has mentioned in his post.

Please come back and let us know how you made out.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.1.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

I'm not sure what is worse... people that ask the bleeding obvious or those who think the cure for everything digital is to reinstall software. Yes my XP computer meets the requirements - if it didn't that would indicate the software isn't much chop if it doesn't check for the ability to run the product before installing it and if it doesn't know if the PC meets the minimum requirements and installs anyway or tries to I wouldn't like to trust it's ability to remove a virus. As for the reinstall suggestion, it makes me shake my head how many people around blurt out "reinstall it" as the fix-all for software. I have NEVER had to reinstall software in my life not even from back in the DOS days. The exception being when a RAID controller has failed and we couldn't get a compatible board that was able to extract the data off the array disks intact but that is uncommon nowadays thanks to chipmakers like Intel and Adaptec building smarts into the devices to recognize a disk set from another controller. For the record I gave the reinstall tool a run and it flopped because it wants to remove my copy of pcAnywhere which it didn't like despite it being a Symantec product that has nothing to do with anti-virus and there was no option to say leave it alone. A quick squizz in the registry shows it is littered right through with dozens or more likely hundreds of old Norton and Symantec entries from previous versions of 360 and NAV from the last 6 years. When I installed NS, it went through a "removing existing version of Nortons" phase yet clearly it and it's predecessors have left truckloads of remnants of older NAV based products - why is that? If they have a tool that can do as it says and wipe all old copies out why does it not run that as part of the standard install and why the hell can't it leave pcAnywhere alone seeing as it is a totally different genre of software? Perhaps I am expecting too much that software claiming to be able to detect viruses before they are known should be able to sort itself out when it's own updater goes off the rails.

Kudos0

I wouldn't have suggested it unless I was sure it resolved my particular issue. I would suggest a choice of safe and effective registry file cleaners I have used, but you would probably cry about those also. As far as I know, this forum is a free service driven by regular users, not Symantec employees. Thanks for showing your hand so early (2 posts), so that I may cater my responses accordingly from this moment forward: Don't squizz in your registry, that's gross. As for your "updater" issue, just ignore it:)

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.