• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Problem with Norton Identity Safe 2015.5.6.76

I ran LiveUpdate and this upgraded me from Norton Toolbar 2015.5.4.10 to Norton Identity Safe 2015.5.6.76.

The new toolbar does not seem to work properly with Firefox 40.0.3 and 42.0 when you start Firefox:

• The Norton Safe Web field in the toolbar doesn't change when you go to different web sites.
  • Clicking on the Norton Safe Web field in the toolbar does nothing.
  • Clicking on the ... field in the toolbar does nothing.
  • Safe Search is not shown in the toolbar.

Oddly it seems to work OK if you open a new Firefox window while the first Firefox window is open - the original window has these problems (as do any new tabs opened in this window ) but the second window is OK.

So there is a workaround - I just open a second Firefox window and then close the first window. But something is not right...

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Problem with Norton Identity Safe 2015.5.6.76

Snowman1:

I ran LiveUpdate and this upgraded me from Norton Toolbar 2015.5.4.10 to Norton Identity Safe 2015.5.6.76.

The new toolbar does not seem to work properly with Firefox 40.0.3 and 42.0 when you start Firefox:

• The Norton Safe Web field in the toolbar doesn't change when you go to different web sites.
  • Clicking on the Norton Safe Web field in the toolbar does nothing.
  • Clicking on the ... field in the toolbar does nothing.
  • Safe Search is not shown in the toolbar.

Oddly it seems to work OK if you open a new Firefox window while the first Firefox window is open - the original window has these problems (as do any new tabs opened in this window ) but the second window is OK.

So there is a workaround - I just open a second Firefox window and then close the first window. But something is not right...

I have exactly the same problems. First I thought the update to FF 42 was corrupt and unstalled en reinstalled FF but  it did not help.

For now only workaround that work is indeed to open a second Firefox window and then close the first window.

I hope this problem will get resolved.  

Kudos0

Please try un-check >
Private Browsing with Tracking Protection blocks certain Web elements that could be used to record your behavior across sites. 
Do you run NoScript..?

Kudos0

bjm_:

Please try un-check >
Private Browsing with Tracking Protection blocks certain Web elements that could be used to record your behavior across sites. 
Do you run NoScript..?

I tried un-check Private browsing with tracking protection and restarted FF. It did no help.

Yes I have indeed NoScript 2.6.9.39 running...

Kudos0

Unchecking Tracking Protection makes no difference.

Yes - I am running NoScript 2.6.9.39.

Kudos0

Did you cycle Firefox after > Unchecking Tracking Protection.

Okay, do you want to try disable NoScript.  

Kudos0

I disabled NoScript and restarted FF. Safe Search box/field reappeared but when I closed FF and opened FF again Safe Search field is not shown.

Something is not right....

Kudos0

Disabling NoScript seems to fix the problem.

However I plan to re-enable NoScript and use the workaround for now.

The question now is - is it a Norton problem or a NoScript problem ? - who will fix it?

Kudos0

Yeah, sorry.  IDK....other than >
The Norton Toolbar now has limited compatibility with Firefox 41 & 42.  
Hopefully, new Toolbar is a work in progress due for refinements or NoScript will become aware and sort.
Maybe, we'll see FF42.0.1 soon...

Kudos0

For now I will use the workaround and hope NoScript or Norton will resolved this.

Kudos0

It would be useful if someone appropriate from Norton could let us know what their position on this is.

Ideally they would accept ownership of this problem and take it up with NoScript if required.

Kudos0

Snowman1:

It would be useful if someone appropriate from Norton could let us know what their position on this is.

Ideally they would accept ownership of this problem and take it up with NoScript if required.

I second that

Kudos0

Snowman1:  It would be useful if someone appropriate from Norton could let us know what their position on this is.

Okay, I'll try....for comment from Norton.   Norton monitors feedback. 

Kudos0

bjm_:
Snowman1:  It would be useful if someone appropriate from Norton could let us know what their position on this is.

Thanks for your help. Getting late here so time to sign out....

Kudos0

Here's message with Private Browsing causing Toolbar problem.
https://community.norton.com/en/comment/6746961

Kudos1 Stats

I solved the problem, I uninstalled firefox and installed google chrome. Problem solved.

Kudos0

.... I might be tardy reporting this without reading the previous posts in this thread...

After LiveUpdating, restart of Firefox v40.0.3, computer restart, and finding NO norton tool bar, ... I tried opening a SECOND FIREFOX WINDOW -- not TAB --- and there IS the norton tool bar - it looks slightly strange, but there it is; but will it continue later if I close both Firefox instances and then reopen one single Firefox instance?

Kudos0

No.  User still needs to open a second instance window of Firefox at the same time as having first instance open, to have the Norton Toolbar appear.  (Updated Ffx to v 42).

Kudos0

Same problem and second window solution as above, but more. Norton Vault has disappeared from the toolbar.  I can open the logins from the new toolbar, but even from there, it will not fill any login details.

Any ideas on how to revert to the previous version of Identity Safe, because this is a simple waste of time and space.

Kudos1 Stats

I opened a second FF window and have a BLANK toolbar at the top.   I went to VIEW > TOOLBARS and noticed that Firefox Toolbar was checked.   I unchecked FTB and the BLANK toolbar disappeared.   Rechecked FTB and the BLANK toolbar reappears.   

NOT GOOD NORTON!  

Kudos0

I am using same work-around as Tony M.  It is called Chrome  :-(

Kudos0

Chrome is working very nicely for me. I would recommend it.

Kudos0

Thanks for the feedback.  Yes, I have been using it for a few weeks and it integrates well with Norton Identity Safe that I have come to rely on.  The only thing is that Chrome is a bit more intrusive than Firefox. Oh well.  On the good side, it seems to be a more efficient, less hanging and does not hog memory as bad as Firefox does..

Kudos1 Stats

Chrome I avoid, I like my pull-down menu that Google thinks no one uses.  - I have taken the dreaded action of going back to IE.  Fortunately, that still has 2015.5.4.10, not this latest disaster.

In addition, I have noted Norton change my home page to Safe Search (which I have had to change back to what I want) & now appears whenever I open a new tab.

It looks like Norton has become no more than another virus on my system.  Unless they fix it NOW, they are likely to lose a customer.

Not happy.

Kudos0

IE is ok also, but would use chrome before I use IE. Know any other internet browsers that work with Norton logins?

Kudos0

I used IE until it got way too sluggish for me.  That is why i switched to Firefox.  I have not used any others.

Kudos0

Same for me, also IE has to many vulnerabilities. Chrome has a few bugs but not so bad. If they get firefox up and running I'll go back.

Kudos1 Stats

Two days ago my wife opened Firefox an got the notice that Norton wanted to upgrade the Norton Toolbar to 2015.5.6.76, she clicked okay and then found that she could only see the top half of the toolbar. It also doesn't work, not even the three dots. I can open the vault manually through the Norton App, and the vault still doesn't work.

Today, I got the same notice on my computer. I closed that tab trying to avoid the upgrade, but it installed anyway!! It also doesn't work!!

I read on this forum that this issue will be fixed at the end of October, its November now, so where's fix?

Why is there no way to go back to version 2015.5.4.10?

Kudos0

bjm_:

Did you manage to get anything out of Norton?

Firefox + NoScript is a common combination so I think that Norton do need to fix this problem.

Kudos0

Snowman1: bjm_:  Did you manage to get anything out of Norton? Firefox + NoScript is a common combination so I think that Norton do need to fix this problem.

You would have heard here.  Norton as big player considers big players. 
So, out of the box Firefox up to a point. Firefox with NoScript.  I think not. 
Remember, users complained for a year maybe two that Toolbar degrades Firefox. 
Norton waited until they were forced into rebuild. 
And will rebuild be more than just working Toolbar.   Will rebuild consider ding on Firefox.  I think not. 
YMMV M2C

Kudos0

Tony M:

IE is ok also, but would use chrome before I use IE. Know any other internet browsers that work with Norton logins?

FYI, once you install Chrome, you'll have it forever! ....... actually it will have you!   You can NOT completely uninstall it.   There will always be remnants tracking your every move, even after you "uninstall" it.    The only way I found to complete remove Chrome was to nuke the hard drive and reinstall everything from scratch.    

IE is almost as bad.   

I would go with Maxthon, but like FF, Norton doesn't support it either. 

Kudos0

I have the same problem but I have found the by going to the customizing function of Firefox 42 and then exiting it. That this will unfreeze and bring back safe search or until I exit Firefox and restart it and this will cause the Toolbar to stop again until I do my work around.  THIS NEEDS TO BE FIXED it seems like a bunch of amateurs wrote the Code for the Toolbar and did not do proper testing of it. And I don't use No Script and such.

Kudos0

If I look at the Firefox Browser Console (Tools > Web Developer > Browser Console) when I open the first Firefox window with Norton Identify Safe 2015.5.6.76 and NoScript then in addition to the problems identified in the first post on this thread I see two instances of the following error message:

nortonidentitysafeaddon : TypeError: can't convert null to object
(followed by a long stack trace)

I guess that this means that nortonidentitysafeaddon has done something wrong?

Kudos0

Yes, I have had a similar issue. But my case is worse. Even in the second Firefox browser window, the Norton Identity vault is missing. What kind of update would be it the update is a useless monster to the paid users like us? Norton developers, are you guys paid to develop this useless monster while we as paid users who actually indirectly pay your labor wages have wasted tons of hours trying to fix the useless monster you guys have created. Please answer us ASAP and fix the issues you guys created! Or simply regress to the older version until you guys come up with a safe useful update!

Kudos1 Stats

Norton seems to have a history of not responding to or listening to customers.  A while back there were a number of threads wanting a local vault back, you can see where that went.

Kudos0

Hello

You can try this if you have ever had a local vault. Pay attention to elsewhere's instructions and follow them carefully. I hope it still works. I don't use the toolbar, so I can't test it.

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/retaining-your-local-vault

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.3.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Norton Identity Safe 2015.5.6.76 has the same problem with at least one other Firefox add-on:

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/norton-toolbar-doesnt-work-firefox

I think that this is further evidence that Norton need to investigate and fix this problem with the Norton Toolbar.

- The problem arises with more than one add-on (not just NoScript).

- The errors logged in the browser console are associated with nortonidentitysafeaddon (not another add-on).

Kudos0

A couple of weeks have now passed...

• I have also logged this problem using Norton's Feedback mechanism.
  • The problem still exists in Norton Identity Safe 2015.5.6.78.

I had hoped that someone appropriate from Norton would have contributed to this thread by now.

In an ideal world a response along the following lines would be good:

Thank you for reporting a potential issue with Norton Identity Safe 2015.5.6.76 (and also identifying a workaround). We welcome constructive feedback on our products.

We have been able to reproduce the problem you (and others) are reporting.
OR
We are unable to reproduce the problem you report - please provide us with the following further information...

We have found the problem and will include the fix in the next release of Norton Identity Safe.
OR
We are currently investigating the problem and will provide a further update once we know more about it.
OR
We have investigated the problem and believe that (despite appearances) it is not in fact a problem with Norton Identity Safe. Other Firefox add-ons will now need to be changed to co-exist with the new version of Norton Identity Safe.

We have added a pinned entry at the top of this section of the forum listing the known problems with Norton Identity Safe and any workarounds.

Is this really too much to ask?

Kudos0

Hello All

When you receive this Update, please let us know if this has helped your issues. The Update right now is only available in English. It is being given out in a phased manner. Please see this link

https://community.norton.com/en/blogs/product-update-announcements/norton-2255-product-update-available-now

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.3.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

I applied the update and restarted machine, but password vault still not working in Firefox.  Norton team: please advise.  Thanks.

Kudos0

nancy t:  I applied the update and restarted machine, but password vault still not working in Firefox.  Norton team: please advise.  Thanks.

Please review > Norton 22.5.5 Product Update available now: Edited: 18-Nov-2015
Please review > Update for Norton Toolbar support for Firefox: 17-Nov-2015
Please review > "Update for Norton Toolbar support for Firefox": RDLeo 18-Nov-2015

Kudos0

floplot:

Hello All

When you receive this Update, please let us know if this has helped your issues. The Update right now is only available in English. It is being given out in a phased manner. Please see this link

https://community.norton.com/en/blogs/product-update-announcements/norton-2255-product-update-available-now

Thanks.

Just to confirm - I have received this update and I now have:

• Norton Security 22.5.5.14
  • Norton Identity Safe 2015.5.6.78

The problem that is described in the first post in this thread is still present, and we are still waiting for a response from Norton about this problem.

Kudos0

I also received this update yesterdat and I now have:

• Norton Security 22.5.5.14
  • Norton Identity Safe 2015.5.6.78

The problem that is described in the first post of this thread is still present in my case. In other words, the aforementioned updates seem useless because it did not solve the on-going issue.

Kudos0

Hello

To those who have been waiting for a Norton Employee to address the Norton Toolbar issues, I assume you have missed this post by Ronda, a Symantec Employee. Please see this Permalink.

Thanks.

Kudos0

Hello floplot - Thank you for this link.

However surely if there has been a natural disaster that has significantly affected Norton's ability to provide some services then this information should be made much more visible by announcements on the Norton web site and by pinned announcements at the top of appropriate sections of the Norton Forums.

Users are not likely to spot a reference to floods in a single paragraph within a post in a thread, or be aware of what services are or are not provided by a given physical location, what disaster management plans Norton has in place etc.

If I google "chennai flood site:norton.com" then this one paragraph appears to be the only recent reference on the norton web site.

Obviously I have sympathy for anyone involved in this flooding (which I hadn't seen reported, perhaps due to the international news focus being on the recent events in Paris), but if this flooding is having a significant impact on certain Norton services then this fact should be communicated by Norton much more effectively - the major issue here seems to be a lack of effective communication by Norton.

What services are functioning as normal? (there was a Norton Security & toolbar release on 18th Nov, since pulled back)

What services are currently suspended? (Any estimate of how long for?)

(Please note that I am not getting at you or the other gurus that have tried to help)

Kudos0

Hello again floplot.

Just to clarify - I interpreted your link to mean that a possible explanation for the lack of any response from Norton in this thread was the recent floods in Chennai (although after just re-reading Rhonda's post I have no idea where 'here' is, except that the implication seems to be that it isn't Chennai).

If in fact you meant that this was a response from Norton then it only addresses some factors that have delayed the release of the Norton Toolbar (particularly Phase 2) - it does not address the specific problem that we are finding with the implementation of the Phase 1 Norton Toolbar, which is the subject of this thread.

Kudos0

Hi Snowman - the following is an effort to lighten things up and should be taken as a joke: 

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=flooding+in+Chennai

Kudos0

Hello Snowman

Many of the threads about the Vault that is missing and the inability of the Norton Toolbar for Firefox and the lack of communication with Norton.  I see Rhonda's post as a start of communication with the customers of Symantec/Norton.. You have picked up on the last 2 sentences of her post. As yank has pointed out, there is news about the unfortunate flooding that is going on in Chennai India.

If you have questions about what Rhonda said and why, then I can not answer you as I did not type out her post nor do I know too much about the locations of where all the Employees live or work.

Please read again what I posted.

To those who have been waiting for a Norton Employee to address the Norton Toolbar issues, I assume you have missed this post by Ronda, a Symantec Employee.

She has also posted Blogs and Announcements. I think she has posted a pinned Announcement on top of this Forum. She has started the Communication and it is about the Toolbar for Firefox. She is a Manager, not the CEO of Symantec.

My purpose was to show that there is a start of Communication by the Manager of the workers who actually does the work on the Toolbar in Question.  You meaning the customers have requested this and I was able to get the flow of communication started. Please remember I am not a Norton Employee, but I am doing the best I can to convey your wishes to Norton Employees and to the Admins who in turn can communicate with the higher ups. Tony also can and does communicate with the higher ups and does a lot for this Community also.So please don't think that the Admins do nothing that is important.

Thanks.

Kudos0

If you have only "ones and zeros Futzis" with loonies do! Since you will be forced to replace the Identity Safe Version (2015.5.6.76) and the result is "this version does not work"! The for weeks. Who is not familiar in the binary system, should remain at the tens Zahlensytem! It is high time that he rise again quality here. Your disgruntled user.

Kudos0

It is now over a month since this problem was reported and still there has been no official response from Norton.

To summarize:

- This is a problem with the Phase 1 implementation of the new Norton Toolbar for Firefox (i.e. the limited functionality that is supposed to work).

- Other users have encountered this problem:

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/safe-search-not-shown-new-toolbar

- The problem can be seen when the popular NoScript add-on is used.

- The problem can also be seen when NoScript is not used:

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/norton-toolbar-doesnt-work-firefox

- The Firefox Browser Console shows two instances of the following error message:

nortonidentitysafeaddon : TypeError: can't convert null to object
(followed by a long stack trace)

This seems to imply that the problem is likely to be with nortonidentitysafeaddon.

- This problem has been also been reported using Norton's feedback mechanism. There has been no response.

As I said in my post of 18th Nov I had hoped that someone appropriate from Norton would have contributed to this thread by now. The lack of any response whatsoever after more than a month is extremely disappointing.

I'm puzzled - is the lack of any response from Norton because:

a) Norton do not believe that there are ever any bugs in Norton Toolbar and so have not bothered investigating this problem?
b) Norton have started investigating this problem but do not believe in communicating with their users after they go to the trouble of reporting a problem (and also providing a temporary workaround)?

Kudos0

Hello Snowman & other customers

I am going to post this Announcement again in here because I have just noticed that it was Edited on Dec.3rd. I don't know  just what was edited actually. Most of you probably don't check the Announcements to see if anything has been added to them. Perhaps some of the questions and statements are  answered in these FAQs.

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/faqs-norton-toolbar-compatibility-issues-firefox-42

Please read over the FAQs to see what has been changed or added.

Thanks.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.