• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

NSBU.exe takes 13% CPU

Hi

I installed Norton Security with Backup 22.5.4.24 on Win7 64 bit 

When the PC are powered on all works normal for some hours NSBU.exe as system do use from 0% and up ... depending on what's happeniong on the PC

If the PC are idle (screen saver) the NSBU does kick in and use more results ... one will know since the you can hear the CPU fans  aree more loud.and you can see it ibn the taskmanger.

If you then makes the PC busy NSBU will fall down to very lilte CPU use, all as expected.

But leaving the PC on for like 4 hours then you will see NSBU.exe takes 13% CPU constant and sometimes it will increase but never go less than the 13%

Only workaround are a reboot.

I have seen other discussions on this subject that the PC have to settle over some days ... but now it's 5 days and I'm getting tiered of the Fan noise.

I do also want my CPU cycles back

Please adcvise

File Attachment: 

Replies

Kudos1 Stats

Re: NSBU.exe takes 13% CPU

Hi, I suggest you go through the settings in the UI { Settings/Administrative Settings }, and turn off Idle Time Optimizer if not already turned off.

You can also turn off any notifications you don't want or need, and also turn off Performance Monitoring and Alerting.

That should take some of the load off.

Windows 10 Home X 64
Kudos1 Stats

Further to the above, here is some info on Performance Monitoring. I have that on, and alerting set to off.

The Performance Monitoring option lets you closely monitor the performance of your computer. When the Performance Monitoring option is turned on, the Norton product monitors the CPU usage of your computer. It also monitors the important system activities that you performed over the period of the last three months. The system activities include installations, downloads, optimizations, threat detections, instances of Quick Scan, and performance alerts.

If you turn off the Performance Monitoring option, the Norton product does not monitor and display any resource utilization information. When you click the Performance > Graphs option in the main window, the resultant Graphs window does not display any CPU usage information. Also, the window does not display the details of the important system activities. However, you can turn on this option from the overlay window in the Graphs window.

Windows 10 Home X 64
Kudos0

Thank you for feedback

Last night I did a Remove / reinstall with the NRnR tool

Strange thing when I started the NRnR (while the 13% use of NSBU) there never came any menu up.

Then I did a reboot at now I could run the NRnR and had the 22.5.4.24 reinstalled. Then after some time the 13% was back.

This morning I disabled the Time Optimizer and the  Performance Monitoring option as ypou recomend

Did some other work away fro the PC and now the PC NSBU now use 25% constant and 371.036Kb

Are there any way to see / log what NSBU actually are doing?

Kudos2 Stats

Hello

There is certain work that the security program has to do when it's first installed like a full system scan among other background information. These things are done while the computer is idle. Once these things are completed, you should find much less activity except when it does the full system antivirus scans. This years NS products are quite light on the systems. If the computer is doing a backup as it does in the beginning, that will also use up more resources. It will lessen once these first jobs are allowed to complete.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.18.0.213 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos1 Stats

Also, setting your Full Scan Schedule to manual if you wish will enable you to run it at a time that suits YOU.

Settings/Antivirus/Scans and Risks/Full System Scan/Configure.

Click on Edit Scan, and set to Do not schedule this scan.

Windows 10 Home X 64
Kudos0

Hi

I do think I have some progress.

Yesterday my CPU was constant on 25% and I did contact NORTON via chat support, basicly they did not have any known issue for this problem.

They did suggest to reinstall, I mentioned that I already had done that with NRnR with same result.

They suggested to run sfc /scannow form cmd promt as administrator, nothing found.

They offered to remote login via "Support Logmeinrescue" , here come the interesting part, I could download the exe file..... BUT when I opened it it newer came up on the screen, but only in the  taskmanager.

So this indicated some total different issue... not able to run new downloaded exe file

I did test with a few simple know exe files I did download and did see the same issue, not able to run. (same as when I tried to run the NRnR first you suggested it)

So somehow Norton do give release a newly downloaded program when it's has reach the constant CPU use bug

So next step were to say goodbye to support and do a reboot

Support had suggested to run: "Norton Power Eraser": www.norton.com/npe (nothing found)

Support had suggested to use the "Norton remove tool" form "www.norton.com/nrt since they did know that the NRnR tolls would not clean all small language correctly (I use danish and you often see the path are called different than in UK versions).

Then  I did a new Install of Norton again .........until now all look's correct, crossed fingers :-)

I will give feedback  when I have been using the system for some more time to let you know if that's the real issue.

Accepted Solution
Kudos0

Now I had the PC running for 2 days without ny problem so I say www.norton.com/nrt is the cure, and I close the case.

Thx. :-)

Kudos0

Good to hear all seems to be well.

Windows 10 Home X 64
Kudos0

I'm having the exact same problem, 13% usage, even when it doesn't appear that Norton is doing much.    I've turned off time optimizer and everything else, still 13%.   Only solution is to reboot which only temporary fixes the issue.

I've called into support and let's be nice and say they are still learning the ropes.

Uninstall and reinstall is not an acceptable solution to me but I'm going to try it.

Kudos0

Hi ridning29

For your info, my PC still run correct and smooth 
BTW 13% are 1 core of 8 I do have i7 CPU and 25% will be 2 cores

Try the "Norton remove tool" form www.norton.com/nrt 

What langue of Windows do you use?

Good luck

Kudos0

Jakobsen,

Using the remove tool www.norton.com/nrt followed by a reinstall worked and two days later it's still working.  Thanks so much. 

In my mind an uninstall/reinstall is not the way to fix things, but I'm very happy.    Norton support should have been able to determine what was wrong with the original install.

Thanks again.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.