• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Expired Norton Security trial blocked all Internet access

I installed a Norton Security 30 day trial on Windows 10 and when it expired, it came up with a red “Your Computer is not secure” popup and "kindly" blocked all internet access.  All other computers on my network were Internet enabled, so I tried to uninstalling Norton Security but couldn't because no connection to the Norton Server could be made.  In the end, I used another computer to download the Norton Removal Tool to a USB stick and ran that on the non working PC.  And it instantly worked and Internet access was restored.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Disabling your computer until you purchase a full version of the software is a despicable tactic which I doubt is legal.  Norton Security feels more like ransomware and I shall not be using it in future.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Expired Norton Security trial blocked all Internet access

In all the years that I have been on the forums, I have never seen a report like this.  I am sure the loss of connectivity was not intentional.  Did you have another security product installed to replace Norton?  If Norton was not fully uninstalled first, there could have been a conflict.

Kudos0

I too would like to beleive that the loss of connectivity was not intentional, but the loss of connectivity coincided exactly with the expiry of the Norton Security 30 day trial which I think is suspicious.  And removing Norton miraculously brought back Internet connectivity.

I did not have any other security products installed at the time so there could not have been any conflicts.  There are quite a few troubleshooters for issues like these but unfortunately they did not help: I cannot connect to the Internet after I install my Norton product

Kudos0

Hello monkey664

It is possible that you had a bad download of the NS. Did you try a fresh download and install that to see if that was the cause?

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.18.0.213 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

After 9 years of the last post, I ran into the same problem. I have no way to unlock the firewall. The only option available is to review the subscription. Is the way Norton doing business?!  [Removed] and solve this problem right away before this complain goes all over forums!

[Admin Edit: Removing personally identifiable information to conform with the Participation Guidelines and Terms of Service]

Kudos0

If your subscription has expired, your Norton product stops functioning. You need to renew or uninstall the product.

This is done so a user does not have a false sense of security using a product that can no longer be updated.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

peterweb:

If your subscription has expired, your Norton product stops functioning. You need to renew or uninstall the product.

This is done so a user does not have a false sense of security using a product that can no longer be updated.

I can quite understand the product not functioning but that is not the issue.
I quite expect the program to stop working after a subscription has expired but not to block access to the Internet without warning or explanation.  So they're doing me a favour by disabling my computer... 

They could quite easily revert the computer back to its previous settings and enable the Windows Firewall.  The fact they don't pushes users into purchasing another license - a despicable tactic which I doubt is legal.  Norton Security feels more like ransomware.  

Issues like this persuaded me to buy a Mac for home and I haven't looked back.  As far as malware is concerened, Windows is by far the biggest target.  Glad I jumped ship.

Kudos0

I will never use Norton again either. My subscription expired a few days ago and since then I have been completely unable to connect to the internet. I have tried restoring default firewall settings, uninstalling all norton components, turning on windows defender but nothing has worked. Thank you Norton/Symantec for completely messing up my laptop.
Kudos0

Completely unrelated
Kudos2 Stats

@monkey664 & Gowen:

1st of all, I can't reproduce your situations re  “Your Computer is not secure” popup & loss of internet access:

("If you do not activate your product now, your computer will be not protected... ")Feel free to PM me if you need a video record about that.

And, uninstalling a(n) (expired) Norton product does not require the internet connection:

(Note: I've disabled the internet access manually before uninstalling my NS.)

And Windows Firewall is set to on automatically after uninstalling my NS.

Well, sometimes, the default uninstaller just could not handle ALL of the installed components and could break your network. Then, the said Norton Removal Tool can help sort the issue out in no time. In your cases, there may be a possibility that your TCP IP stack has become corrupted.

Then, also @John Ye & @Gowen, to troubleshoot the Internet connection you guys encountered, plz try these tips:

1. Run the network troubleshooter@ Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Troubleshooting as the admin user on your computer. To do so, input troubleshooting in the search box > choose "Connect to the Internet" > follow the on-screen wizards to fix your connection issues. A system reboot is kindly recommended.

2. Go into Device Manager > temporarily uninstall network interface card (NIC) > reboot > re-insall your own NIC. Hit here for details. And, "in case of an add-on network adapter card, the drivers need to installed from the hardware manufacturer's CD.".

3. If you guys wired up your PC to some router, plz try rebooting that device and check later.

4. Other options re command prompts:

Before you get started, back up current TCP IP settings. Read this article for details.

a. netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

Reboot when ready.

b. 

netsh int ip reset reset.log

netsh winsock reset catalog

Reboot when ready.

Thx and luck. :)

PUP Hunter PRO: Just TRYING to save the world (U) from cyber threats, A single blog post, at a time, and ONCE & FOR ALL. (A fan of Nadia_Kovacs)
Kudos0

When any antivirus expires it does not block internet access. All it means is you are no longer getting antivirus definition updates. What happened to you is merely coincidental.
Kudos1 Stats

PatsSoxBruins:
When any antivirus expires it does not block internet access. All it means is you are no longer getting antivirus definition updates. What happened to you is merely coincidental.

Actually,  you cannot obtain updates of any kind and the software ceases to function.

Kudos0

Definition and or program updates. Common sense. Just like when your warranty expires on your car. You no longer get free repairs. But just cause your warranty is up doesn't mean your car stops working.
Kudos0

Current Symantec programs contain the following warning in their end-user license agreements: "The Software may automatically deactivate and become non-operational at the end of the Service Period, and you will not be entitled to receive any feature or content updates to the Software unless the Service Period is renewed."

Accordingly, when a Norton subscription ends, the program will immediately stop functioning, and will no longer scan for viruses.

Windows 10 Home X 64
Kudos1 Stats

PatsSoxBruins:
Definition and or program updates. Common sense. Just like when your warranty expires on your car. You no longer get free repairs. But just cause your warranty is up doesn't mean your car stops working.

No.  As others have said, when the Norton subscription expires, the program deactivates completely.  This has been true for many years now.  The car warranty analogy is totally wrong.  It is more like an empty fuel tank.

Kudos0

OMG stop. This ISNT about the end of your Norton trial. Did you read the problem? He seems to believe that when Norton expires it blocks your internet. And my car warranty reference was spot on. Empty fuel tank reference means you agree with the user. When your Norton expires your Norton stops working. Your internet DOES not stop working.
Kudos3 Stats

I did read the problem.  I responded to the original poster over a year ago.  Norton does not intentionally block your internet when it expires, but the product itself does shut down, and this latest post is not the first report of connectivity problems that may be related to Norton turning off.  The Norton Firewall becomes disabled which certainly would be something to look at as a possible factor.  So you are dismissing this as a "coincidence" and basing your assessment on incorrect information about what happens when a Norton subscription expires.  If you don't believe what others are saying, simply turn off your automatic date/time option, reset your system time to a date beyond your Norton expiration date, and wait to see what happens.

Kudos0

I have seen hundreds of computers with expired Norton and other expired security suites. PC still is fully functional but usually they are infected and didn't have enough common sense to renew their antivirus.
Kudos2 Stats

Sure, the PC should still be fully functional.  No one is claiming otherwise.  But an expired Norton is not functional at all.  In this case, the PC is not fully functional: something has caused a loss of connectivity that could be associated with Norton becoming disabled.  There are three reports of this happening posted in this thread alone.  Please stop obfuscating the situation - when Norton expires, it no longer provides any sort of security protection at all.  None.

Kudos0

Hello

What happens with other security suites has nothing to do with how Norton behaves.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.18.0.213 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

I make hundreds of house calls. Mainly malware removal. The first thing I do is see what protection they have. Lot's have Norton naturally. But when I open up Norton it is expired. Hence the infection. They people claim "Yeah I saw the expiration pop up but I did not think it would stop working" Yes Norton stops working fully. But the pc still works and connects. I have seen this hundreds of times. If you disable Norton's auto protect and firewall you can still connect to the internet. If you install a 30 day trail of Norton at day 35 you can still connect to the internet. What happened to this person is merely coincidental.Numbers has great advice on this one. 

Kudos1 Stats

PatsSoxBruins:

What happened to this person is merely coincidental.Numbers has great advice on this one. 

What about the others?  Two others reported in this thread that they also lost connectivity when Norton expired but were able to regain it when they removed the expired Norton program.  That is quite a series of coincidences.

Kudos0

Two.....................Out of the millions that are running Norton on their pc's is barely anything to shout about. 

Kudos2 Stats

There are quite a lot of identical "coincidences" happening. If you think that this is an issue that has affected 3 people on the planet I suggest you do a google search for 'norton expired no internet'. You're in for something of a reality check PatsSoxBruins.

Kudos1 Stats

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Kudos0

Kudos0

Thanks 20750065. I will download the norton removal tool at work and try your advice as soon as I have a chance. Nice one bro.

Kudos1 Stats

PatsSoxBruins:
Right from a Norton employee https://community.norton.com/en/comment/1642093#comment-1642093

Yes the Norton employee is explaining how it is supposed to work, and for most users that is how it does work.  However, like most of the topics on the forums, this one involves instances where Norton is not doing what it is supposed to do.

Kudos0

OP (monkey664) just complained:

Expired Norton Security trial blocked all Internet access

(he or she) tried to uninstalling Norton Security but couldn't because no connection to the Norton Server (somehow, this does not make sense) could be made

Anyway, those original posters do have nothing to do with CAR warranty, your hundreds of house calls, your malware removal, your hundreds of house calls, nor your hundreds of computers, etc.

thx.

PUP Hunter PRO: Just TRYING to save the world (U) from cyber threats, A single blog post, at a time, and ONCE & FOR ALL. (A fan of Nadia_Kovacs)
Kudos0

And to follow SendOfJive's comments, the post from an employee is from 7+ years ago. And while the product expiring should not disable your internet connection, if that's happening we want to know about it.

@Gowen, before you remove the product, can you provide us with some more details on your setup? Do you have any other software installed? Any details you can provide about the OS you're running, possibly Windows 10 Insider preview build? Thanks for your help.

Tony Weiss | Norton Forums Global Community Manager | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

Sorry - a bit late. I already removed all the norton files. Mine was not a trial version but a running one year contract that I've had for a few years. My OS is windows 10 upgraded from windows 8 on a HP laptop. Pretty standard and minimal software such as chrome, itunes, dropbox, etc. My problem seems to have been partially solved by uninstalling and reactivating the wifi card. Now, instead of zero connection, I can connect for about 10 minutes before I lose the internet connection and have to play around with things to reconnect. But the whole initial problem does seem to have been related to the expired norton product affecting the wifi card. Thanks again guys for all the help - especially your advice SendOfJive
Kudos0

Apologies, it was 20750065's advice.
Kudos0

This thread has been closed from further posting. If you would like to post about a new issue, please feel free to create a thread. Thank you. 

-Gayathri

Gayathri R | Norton Forums Global Community Administrator | Symantec Corporation

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.