• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Problem with Norton Identity Safe 2015.5.6.76

I ran LiveUpdate and this upgraded me from Norton Toolbar 2015.5.4.10 to Norton Identity Safe 2015.5.6.76.

The new toolbar does not seem to work properly with Firefox 40.0.3 and 42.0 when you start Firefox:

• The Norton Safe Web field in the toolbar doesn't change when you go to different web sites.
  • Clicking on the Norton Safe Web field in the toolbar does nothing.
  • Clicking on the ... field in the toolbar does nothing.
  • Safe Search is not shown in the toolbar.

Oddly it seems to work OK if you open a new Firefox window while the first Firefox window is open - the original window has these problems (as do any new tabs opened in this window ) but the second window is OK.

So there is a workaround - I just open a second Firefox window and then close the first window. But something is not right...

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Problem with Norton Identity Safe 2015.5.6.76

another option is bypass the norton toolbar and a program like dashlane which is free.

but be careful and research this carefully. it appears safe by i am trying a very small password subset.

i also stop them from storing them in the cloud. there may be others as good or better so think about this idea.

Kudos0

now into feb with no improvement. is there any new update?

Kudos0

Run live update as it has upped my Norton Toolbar to 2015.5.6.78...the Norton search box in the Norton toolbar seldom

appears, even if a second window is opened; unchecking Tamper Protection does not help either.

So, WHEN Norton?

Kudos0

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.3.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

I have tried the info in the support article...up to the point after cmd...then I am no longer allowed to make changes...

so no help.

Kudos0

Hello debs818

Perhaps you can try having tech support to follow the KB article. Make note of it. Perhaps one of the admins can help you to use the KB article.  

Thanks.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         jjjjjjjjjjjjjjj

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.3.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

I spent quite a bit of time tonite online and on the phone with Norton Techs...3 of them...the info in the support article is INCORRECT. The newer toolbar 2016.5.6.90 has not been publicly released. So, I could not obtain the newer toolbar.

Fancy that! I did discover that if I start my Norton 360 Premier first and THEN start FF44 the safe search box opens in the toolbar. So far anyway.

Kudos0

Hello debs818

The tech support people are incorrect. The toolbar has been publicly released. Please see this announcement.

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/norton-toolbar-limited-compatibility-patch-firefox-44-available

I assume that you have updated your Norton program to version 22.5.5.15. How did you get to Norton Tech Support? Did you use www.norton.com/chat   ? If you used something else or found a site in Google, then you most likely did not contact the official Norton chat program.

Thanks.

Kudos0

I can confirm the new Toolbar 2016.5.6.90 is installed in my NSBU on Win 10 pro with FF 44

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

peterweb:

I can confirm the new Toolbar 2016.5.6.90 is installed in my NSBU on Win 10 pro with FF 44

...and I can confirm the new Toolbar 2016.5.6.90 is installed in my NSBU on Win 7 Home Premium with FF 44 and also on a Win 7 Home Premium running Comcast's Norton Security Suite

The following is from a previous post of mine in regards to using the Support Article:

"FWIW, I had a slight glitch when updating my Win 7 Comcast Norton Security Suite.  I had to use the Support article for the Known Issue described in the blog.  The Support Article instructions got me straightened out and up to date with an approved Norton Identity safe 2016.5.6.90. 

I had no problem with my NSBU (excuse me NS Premium) on another Win 7 system.

One thing I did notice, although both systems are running 22.5.5.15.  The information in C:\ProgramData\Norton\{0C55C096-0F1D-4F28-AAA2-85EF591126E7}\<Norton Product Number>\coFFAddon is the latest available version: NSBU_22.5.4.24 on my MSBU system. 

On my Comcast Norton Security System, the information in C:\ProgramData\Norton\{0C55C096-0F1D-4F28-AAA2-85EF591126E7}\<Norton Product Number>\coFFAddon is the version 22.5.2.15 that I used to install NSS back in July, 2015.

I do not know if the reason I had difficulty on NSS is because of the last installed product version or not, but thought I'd pass the info on."

Since debs818 had difficulties after the cmd in the Support Article, the first time I attempted it, I missed the cd at the start of the line which includes the above version number info.

Kudos0

Sorry Norton, I got tired of your incompetence.  I migrated all my machines to a competitor of yours.   I did keep one machine running Norton to keep track of your running disaster, simply out of curiosity's sake.    This one machine is currently running Windows 10, FF44 and Norton Security 22.5.5.15.    Alas, I'm going to be forced to migrate this machine too ...... because whatever Norton has done is using up this machine's resources, to a point I have to hard boot the machine to get it back to a unusable state.   When I disable Norton, the machine is fine.  Re-enable Norton and after a day it is back to a unusable state.    Whatever you're doing, it ain't working.   Good luck, apparently you need it.  

Kudos0

I'm sorry Mad Scientist, but I can't seem to find a thread you started talking about your machines resources, and you comments certainly do not add anything to a solution for this thread.

If you start your own thread re: using your machines resources and also include which other security type programs you have installed, your previous AV and how it was removed, we'll try to give you a hand getting your remaining Norton system straightened out.

Kudos0

Why start a thread?    I've migrated my machines off of Norton, so I no longer have a horse in this race.     It's a shame too, I liked Norton for many years.    Apparently they no longer care about their customers.

BTW, the only reason I popped back in here is because I kept getting emails about updates to this forum ...... and needed to turn off the emails.

Kudos0

Yes...used Support as directed on my Norton product...went to chat then to remote and then a second time and Norton called me. I was told that the limited compatibility toolbar was not available publicly. I do have 22.5.5.15 but the toolbar is 2015.5.6.78 and I and apparently the techs could not get the patch to allow the newer toolbar 2016.5.6.90.

Kudos0

debs818

Fancy that! I did discover that if I start my Norton 360 Premier

What is your version number for your 360? Click on Support/Help - About.

The toolbar update is only for the 22.5.5.15 versions of Norton products.

Kudos0

YES YES YES...in using the support article I show I have N360_22.5.4.24. But I did NOT forget anything in following the steps and have a screen shot of what I did. My Norton product shows I have 22.5.5.15.

Be happy to privately send you the screen shot.

I am [Removed]. The techs last nite told me that the discrepancy between 22.5.4.24 vs 22.5.5.15 is:

when I orginally renewed...that the 22.5.4.24 is what I got, correctly; but since then I have updated to what my Nortoncorrectly.product  shows as 22.5.5.15. I am going back to Norton support with a BIG cup of coffee! This whole

thing sounds a bit off to me.

[Admin Edit: Removing email address information to conform with the Participation Guidelines and Terms of Service]

Kudos0

Screenshot not necessary. I just wanted to confirm in case you were on an older version, which could have explained your issue.

Kudos0

is firefox no longer supporting norton safe id?

Kudos0

Hello tvzz

Norton is in the process of rebuilding the Identity Safe for Firefox.

Thanks.

Kudos0

floplot:  Norton is in the process of rebuilding the Identity Safe for Firefox.

and Mozilla is in the process of rebuilding Firefox.  

Kudos0

Norton Identity Safe 2015.6.0.66 was patched to today , again no help! 5 mns and counting

Kudos0

See this announcement from Symantec Employee Tony Weiss

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/identity-safe-limited-compatibili...

Kudos0

That announcement from Symantec Employee Tony Weiss says that there is a plan to create a new Norton Toolbar by around Aug 2016.

It makes no statement about what happens between now and Aug 2016.

What is the status of the existing Phase 1 Norton Toolbar for Firefox?

- Is it now being abandoned?

- Will it support future versions of Firefox until the rewritten Norton Toolbar arrives?

- Is there now no prospect of the known problems with the Phase 1 Toolbar being fixed?

The problems were first reported back in Nov 2015 (e.g. see my entry that started this thread) so having to keep working around these problems (e.g. by opening additional Firefox windows) until Aug 2016 (or later...) would be annoying.

See also:

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/issues-phase-1-new-norton-toolbar-firefox

and a previous unanswered request for status information:

https://community.norton.com/en/comment/6849991#comment-6849991

So far the effort put in by users to report bugs in the Phase 1 Norton Toolbar for Firefox seems to have fallen into the category of noble but futile. If there is no prospect of this changing then Symantec should be honest about it and just say that they won't be fixing any bugs in the Phase 1 Norton Toolbar for Firefox.

Kudos0

Snowman1
how does phase 1 work with default Firefox profile.

Kudos0

It behaves as I would expect it to:

- The problem that I noted at the start of this thread is not visible (because NoScript is not present).

- The problem that was noted in this thread:

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/norton-toolbar-doesnt-work-firefox

is not visible (because RealTimes Downloader Plugin is not present).

- The problem that was noted in this post:

https://community.norton.com/en/comment/6854631#comment-6854631

is visible.

Kudos0

Hello Snowman

Are you using Norton Security or Norton Security with Backup? It seems that Firefox works better with those newer products than with NIS or N360 even if the version numbers are the same. I know customers who use Firefox and have Norton Security.Perhaps this KB will help you.

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/norton-security/current/solutions/v58055475_EndUserProfile_en_us?q=Firefox+toolbar

Phase 1 is still around since Firefox users do have Safe Search, they have the Annotations in Google and other search sites. Please remember also that Mozilla is constantly changing. Remember that the new Toolbar that is being worked on is going to work with all 4 browsers.

Does your Toolbar work if you try a different browser? If it works with another browser, then you will know it isn't your O/S.

You can also contact customer support and tell them your issues and see what they say.  http://www.norton.com/chat

Thanks.

Kudos0

Hi floplot

I am using Norton Security (currently 22.6.0.142).

After four and a half months I have now reached the conclusion that Symantec just aren't interested in fixing problems with the Phase 1 Norton Toolbar so I would be wasting my time trying to take this any further (Symantec should have sufficient information by now to investigate the various problems if they wanted to).

Thank you for you trying to help, particularly with this post:

https://community.norton.com/en/comment/6849991#comment-6849991

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.