• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Norton fails immediately after boot-up

after i boot up computer, i get a visual C++ error saying that app asked for runtime to terminate in an unusual way.  source program -  C:\program...  then norton support screen comes up due to a message saying Symantec framework stopped working and was closed. How can I start tracking this problem?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton fails immediately after boot-up

Have same problem With this shit product. The only reason I used Symantec Nortons is a call from there call center told I was Infected with blackshade Now I want My money Back. Been to the chat at support no help

Kudos0

David C Roberts:

Have same problem With this shit product. The only reason I used Symantec Nortons is a call from there call center told I was Infected with blackshade Now I want My money Back. Been to the chat at support no help

That was not a call from Norton. That was a scam similar to the calls supposedly coming from Microsoft. No one can know that your system is infected. I hope you did not allow them remote access to your computer or you may now actually be infected. And if you gave your credit card info, you might want to cancel that card and get a replacement.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos1 Stats

Texan2017:

after i boot up computer, i get a visual C++ error saying that app asked for runtime to terminate in an unusual way.  source program -  C:\program...  then norton support screen comes up due to a message saying Symantec framework stopped working and was closed. How can I start tracking this problem?

You do not complete the source program path. Is it a Norton program that is listed.

If the Symantec framework has stopped, there is probably something corrupted in your Norton Product installation. I would suggest running the Norton Removal and Reinstall Tool to get a fresh install.   www.norton.com/nrnr

Be sure you read the Before you begin section, and run LiveUpdate manually a few times, restarting as necessary, until no updates are available.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

the C++ error  message literally shows the program to be C:\program dot dot dot.  Is there any way to get more information about the error?  Can the problem be a virus, or an install of some other app. I had no problem before 1/7/2017.  I tried the download on the support site for older operation systems since I run Vista.  The download did not run. I dread removing Norton and reinstalling it, but this may be all I can do.  Thanks for your help.

Kudos0

Hi, Texan2017. Running the NRRT is pretty straightforward.

Just make sure you follow Peter's instructions, and all should be well !

Windows 10 Home X 64
Kudos0

@Texan2017:

Did you see the exact error msg as follows?

If you're also running any other real-time security program (without knowing), plz hit this link and run the right uninstall tool.

BTW, you still need to gain the admin access to run said NRRT. Read this KB for related info, btw.

As for Norton Support, plz bookmark this URL and avoid using any other tech support scam!

Thx :)

PS:

Here's the official "Introduction to various Symantec and Norton Security Products".

Symantec is the company name and Norton is the brand name.

Symantec is the parent company... 

Norton is (just) a brand name of the security products like Norton AntiVirus, Norton Internet Security, Norton Personal Firewall, Norton Ghost, Norton SystemWorks and so on..which are all from Symantec company. 

PUP Hunter PRO: Just TRYING to save the world (U) from cyber threats, A single blog post, at a time, and ONCE & FOR ALL. (A fan of Nadia_Kovacs)
Kudos0

@David C Roberts:

In addition to Peter's comment re possible tech support scams, you can locate official "Norton Phone Number, and Chat" by browsing the below 2 links:

Thx~ :) 

PUP Hunter PRO: Just TRYING to save the world (U) from cyber threats, A single blog post, at a time, and ONCE & FOR ALL. (A fan of Nadia_Kovacs)
Kudos1 Stats

Ensure that your running Vista with service pack 2 and have visual C++ runtimes 2008, 2010, and 2015 installed. (You can see them in "add and remove programs")

Dave

Kudos0

Thanks everyone

I ran NRRT successfully.  I am tracking down some error messages and some history items to be sure it worked for my problem.  The only error  message was 'VzDetect Agent stopped working and was closed'.  In the history file I looked to see what else was going on.  Med - Unauthorized access blocked (Open Process token) - blocked.   Also Med - 'Unauthorized access blocked (Set Registry Security Key) - blocked. Do these indicate further problems to be researched?

Kudos0

Do you by chance have some Verison software installed?

I don't have a VzDetect but I have VzAccess and a bunch of Vzxxxx files installed from some Verison software that I use when I plug in a cellular USB broadband dongle.

Dave

Kudos0

Hello

VZ Detect is the program from Verizon that keeps a record of your phone calls in and out, voice mails. You can log into this information on your pc computer.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.18.0.213 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.