• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos1 Stats

Norton Security crashes in module sds_appendix_1_x64.dll during Full System Scan

I have two Windows 7 PCs with Norton Security. Both are up-to-date according to Norton LiveUpdate.

On PC1 I now get a Norton Security (ns.exe) application crash in module sds_appendix_1_x64.dll whenever I do a Full System Scan.
On PC2 I can do a Full System Scan successfully.

On PC1:

• I can do a Quick Scan successfully.

• The Norton Security application crashes whenever I do a Full System Scan.

This problem started on 12th Oct (I tried 3 times on 12th Oct and it crashed each time).
It still happens today (14th Oct).
In each case I see:
Fault Module Name:    sds_appendix_1_x64.dll
Fault Module Version:    1.5.0.314
(I have sent the crash information to Norton)

• I last performed a Full System Scan successfully on 9th Oct.

• The modification date of sds_appendix_1_x64.dll is 10th Oct. This is after the date on which I last ran a successful Full System Scan and before the date at which the application crashes started.

• The location of sds_appendix_1_x64.dll is in a subfolder under:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton Security\NortonData\22.2.0.31\Definitions\SDSDEfs\
The name of the subfolder appears to be in the form of a date: yyyymmdd.nnn
Over the last few days I have seen the subfolder change several times as a result of using LiveUpdate (I think whenever the LiveUpdate includes Norton SDS Definitions X64).
Currently the subfolder is named 20171014.005.

On PC2:

• sds_appendix_1_x64.dll is version 1.4.0.231.
  • Currently the subfolder is named 20171014.004

I suspect that there might be a problem with sds_appendix_1_x64.dll version 1.5.0.314 that is causing Norton Security to crash.

What I would like to know is:

• Can anyone explain why the version numbers of sds_appendix_1_x64.dll should be different on my 2 PCs when they are both running the same Norton Security product and are both up-to-date according to Norton Live Update?

• What version(s) of sds_appendix_1_x64.dll do other people have on their PC(s)?

• If anyone else has version 1.5.0.314 do they also get a Norton Security application crash if they run a Full System Scan?

Replies

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Norton Security crashes in module sds_appendix_1_x64.dll during Full System Scan

Snowman I run Windows 10 Home x64 and have NSBU (Norton Security with Backup). The path I have is a bit different than your Windows 7 x64 install. I find the file you are looking for here: C:\Program Files\Norton Security with Backup\NortonData\22.9.3.13\Definitions\SDSDefs  There are 3 DLLS there as noted in the first screenshot. I believe your system MAY be missing one or more of these three files and its causing your issue. The second screenshot shows a different version than you have on your system with the issue. Full system scan works as advertised on my end. My suggestion for the problem PC is to remove and reinstall your product. Please use this link and the official removal tool it provides. https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v60392881_EndUserProfile_en_us

Please let us know if this corrects the problem you are having.

Cheers

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Home / Professional x 64 version 1903 / build 18362.295 / N360 Deluxe 22.18.0.213 / Norton Core v.282 on Android 2.00
Kudos1 Stats

Re: Norton Security crashes in module sds_appendix_1_x64.dll during Full System Scan

Thanks for your reply.
I checked the contents of the subfolder on PC1 (now updated to 20171016.010) - sds_appendix_2_x64.dll and sds_engine_x64.dll are both present and both are version 1.5.0.314.

I thought that I would wait a while to see what happened when PC2 got upgraded via LiveUpdate to version 1.5.0.314. That happened today - the subfolder on PC2 is now also 20171016.010.
I ran a Full System Scan (online) on PC2 and Norton Security now crashes in module sds_appendix_1_x64.dll. It had the same exception code  as on PC1 (c0000005, which I think is an Access Violation). So the crashing problem is not unique to PC1.

Since my original post I have remotely accessed another Windows 7 PC belonging to my family - it is also now on version 1.5.0.314 but it can complete a Full System Scan (online) without crashing. So it seems to be a problem on some PCs but not others - perhaps it depends on the data being scanned? (seems possible for an Access Violation)

It would be interesting to hear if anyone else has started experiencing Norton Security crashes in module sds_appendix_1_x64.dll during a Full System Scan recently.
There now seems to be a 'Me Too' entry on this thread.

There is also another thread about a Full System Scan problem that might be related:

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/norton-security-wont-do-full-system-scan-anymore

Kudos1 Stats

@Snowman1 Remove and reinstall your product using these instructions. Make sure you reboot after the removal has completed. Just a note,  make sure you run live update twice. Once after the initial reboot and not updates are available. Then run live update a second time and reboot again. Recheck your issue.  

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v60392881_EndUserProfile_en_us

Cheers

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Home / Professional x 64 version 1903 / build 18362.295 / N360 Deluxe 22.18.0.213 / Norton Core v.282 on Android 2.00
Kudos3 Stats

Hi @Snowman1,

Thanks for reporting an issue in Norton Community Forums. We are aware about "Norton crash while running Full System Scan" and team working on it. Will update once we have more information on fix. 

Sunil_GA | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos1 Stats

Thanks for this information. I hope that you are able to reproduce the Norton Security Access Violation crash in module sds_appendix_1_x64.dll version 1.5.0.314 in your software development labs.

I think that my initial contact with Norton Support on 12th Oct was assigned Case No 32818464.
The information I supplied at the time included more some more detailed crash information from PC1 and my email address.
I now have some more detailed crash information from PC2 - feel free to email me if you need it.

Kudos2 Stats

Hi @Snowman1,

Could you please update Virus definitions by running LiveUpdates and let us know if you are still facing Norton crash with Full system scan? 

Sunil_GA | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos1 Stats

¡Thank you very much, Sunil_GA , for intervening and solving the thread!

Beginning October 14, my Norton Internet Security crashed completely during Full System Scan, vanishing even from the Task Manager and the Task Bar, without warning nor alarm. It happened with SDS versión 1.5.0.314.

I removed and reinstalled NIS, and kept on updating LiveUpdate manually and retrying, to no avail. But yesterday, late in the day, ¡everything returned to normal!. It was with the new SDS versión 1.5.0.321.

Thanks also to the users who raised the subject to attention and commented, helping the whole community.

Accepted Solution
Kudos1 Stats

Hi Sunil_GA,

I ran LiveUpdate on both systems (referenced above as PC1 & PC2) that were experiencing a Norton Security application crash during a Full System Scan.
On both systems this updated sds_appendix_1_x64.dll from 1.5.0.314 to 1.5.0.321.
Both systems can now complete a Full System Scan without crashing so I will mark this thread as solved.
Please could you also close Case No 32818464 that I opened with Norton Support on 12th Oct.
Thank you and the others involved in resolving this problem.

Kudos1 Stats

I had this problem too, and when I went to the latest dated subdirectory for the sds_appendix... files, I could see that it had just been updated (presumably by a background live update) 45 minutes before.  It now contained the 1.5.0.321 version of the file and the full scan ran fine after this.  Thanks for the sleuthing!

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.