Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!
Norton Security crashes in module sds_appendix_1_x64.dll during Full System Scan
I have two Windows 7 PCs with Norton Security. Both are up-to-date according to Norton LiveUpdate.
On PC1 I now get a Norton Security (ns.exe) application crash in module sds_appendix_1_x64.dll whenever I do a Full System Scan.
On PC2 I can do a Full System Scan successfully.
- I can do a Quick Scan successfully.
- The Norton Security application crashes whenever I do a Full System Scan.
This problem started on 12th Oct (I tried 3 times on 12th Oct and it crashed each time).
It still happens today (14th Oct).
In each case I see:
Fault Module Name: sds_appendix_1_x64.dll
Fault Module Version: 220.127.116.114
(I have sent the crash information to Norton)
- I last performed a Full System Scan successfully on 9th Oct.
- The modification date of sds_appendix_1_x64.dll is 10th Oct. This is after the date on which I last ran a successful Full System Scan and before the date at which the application crashes started.
- The location of sds_appendix_1_x64.dll is in a subfolder under:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton Security\NortonData\18.104.22.168\Definitions\SDSDEfs\
The name of the subfolder appears to be in the form of a date: yyyymmdd.nnn
Over the last few days I have seen the subfolder change several times as a result of using LiveUpdate (I think whenever the LiveUpdate includes Norton SDS Definitions X64).
Currently the subfolder is named 20171014.005.
- sds_appendix_1_x64.dll is version 22.214.171.124.
- Currently the subfolder is named 20171014.004
I suspect that there might be a problem with sds_appendix_1_x64.dll version 126.96.36.1994 that is causing Norton Security to crash.
What I would like to know is:
- Can anyone explain why the version numbers of sds_appendix_1_x64.dll should be different on my 2 PCs when they are both running the same Norton Security product and are both up-to-date according to Norton Live Update?
- What version(s) of sds_appendix_1_x64.dll do other people have on their PC(s)?
- If anyone else has version 188.8.131.524 do they also get a Norton Security application crash if they run a Full System Scan?