• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

server error we're working to resolve an issue that prevents us from completing your request. try again later. (-6)

Just bought a key and updated the product, got this blocking screen message "server error we're working to resolve an issue that prevents us from completing your request. try again later. (-6)" while trying to activate.

Does any one have any idea how can fix it?

thanks for your attention

PS saw older post where some fixes worked for some user and not for all, of course I already run RnR and restarted a few time.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: server error we're working to resolve an issue that prevents us from completing your request. try again later. (-6)

if it has some usefulness, am running Windows 7

Kudos0

Re: server error we're working to resolve an issue that prevents us from completing your request. try again later. (-6)

Norton services status shows all green. https://status.norton.com/

Flush your DNS cache and reboot. Open an elevated run dialog (run as admin) and type in: ipconfig /flushdns, then reboot. Retry your activation and let us know how things go.

Cheers

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Home / Professional x 64 version 1903 / build 18362.295 / N360 Deluxe 22.18.0.213 / Norton Core v.282 on Android 2.00
Kudos0

Hello SoulAsylum ,
thanks for your time. Did it and reboot but got same blocking connection error.

Don't really have any idea about that, also checked on service status just in case some geographical restriction may apply to my case but those are all up.

Kudos0

tried an update search, found a missing one and installed it ok. Reboot and tried connection, failed. Tried to open support page in italian at page  Messaggio: "Impossibile connettersi al server Norton" and got a web browser error page while using english page from https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/info it worked fine entering at link Message: "Cannot connect to the Norton server" - by the way the content did not solved my issue.

At the moment still get "periodo di prova scaduto" alert (free trial time end).
Have no new update to download.
Automatic support did not found any trouble on my version.
Going to support from the Automatic support ok page and clicking on contact support hypertext got same web browser error page.

the web page error is a standard "502 - Web server received an invalid response while acting as a gateway or proxy server." which is a problem SoulAsylum already found a yeat and few months ago - anyway really seems like server side problems.

Any clue or solutions is wellcome ;)

Kudos0

Daniele, Try to activate again in a couple of hours your local time. The issue is more than likely a backend issue where Norton could be doing server maintenance since its a weekend. I will follow up with you later to see if the issue corrects itself.

Cheers

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Home / Professional x 64 version 1903 / build 18362.295 / N360 Deluxe 22.18.0.213 / Norton Core v.282 on Android 2.00
Kudos0

Despite it seems reasonable that during weekend general activities may be delayed, on monday evening it still does not work. Calling telephone assistance, will tell you what they say.

Kudos0

Hi @DanieleRossini,

Thanks for reporting in Norton Community Forums. Can you please try reactivating subscription by Help -> Enter Product Key and let us know the issue status? 

Sunil_GA | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

Hello Sunil_GA ,

thanks for your support, unfortunately at the moment am reading your note already took another action after talking at support. They asked for complete remove of the old folders and files and a new download, also offering to do that from remote - am never being ok to let other using remote control on my hardware so declined this offer.
Started to delete it all and failing upon a known issue on Windows OS, can not remove some folder since am not a privileged Administrator of the system - neither entering on command as administrator, as you can see from the attached image.

I could of course download and install again, still seems a good idea to completelly delete all of the older files.

I understand it start to be a strange mix of issue, if you tell me how to take control on the folder to remove them it may seems a lack of security from your side. If you think it may be ok, I can just download and install the product again.

For your information, at the moment am using Microsoft Security Essential which anyway do a good job. It's running is compatible with Norton or should deactivate it before installing that security package?

Kudos0

Are you trying to delete those files/folders with Norton still installed? If so, it is the Norton Product Tamper Protection feature stopping access to those folders. You need to first uninstall Norton, restart your computer, then try deleting those folders. 

For your information, at the moment am using Microsoft Security Essential which anyway do a good job. It's running is compatible with Norton or should deactivate it before installing that security package?

If in fact you do have Microsoft Security Essentials, you need to uninstall Norton or MSE. You should only have one security product installed at a time to avoid possible conflicts that actually reduce your protection. If you are referring to Windows Defender, that will be disabled as long as you have Norton installed.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Hi @DanieleRossini,

Thanks for trying product key activation step. I would recommend download new copy of Norton and reinstall Norton. Let us know the activation status with new installation. 

Sunil_GA | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

Daniele You need to change your account "type" in Windows 7 to "administrator" and reboot your system. If your issue persists please use the R&R tool to remove, reboot then reinstall your Norton product.

Cheers

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.