• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

NS 22.14.2.13 keeps warning of a security threat even if removed.

Wife somehow got a threat on her PC running this version as am I (3 PC version). Something strange happened on her PC that neither of us can figure out. Yesterday around 5PM (when her PC was not being used) Nightshift Legacy, Jaguar's Eye apparently was installed? NS this morning notified her it found a 'virus' and had deleted the EXE. OK, I investigated and the program was NOT in the Control Panel, Programs and Features Installed list? No other program was installed that day either? Searched using DIR and filtering for the date and nothing was? I'll assume another program from a prior day did this. However she never ran that game.

So since the file was deleted by NS it wasn't usable anyway I ran the UNINSTALL in the folder. Program gone.

That was this morning. Well, this afternoon NS pops up and again said it found a threat? Looked, it was the same threat as before? Don't understand why we got this if we saw it before? I looked in the history and there were a few other threats, but going back many many months that were High. I have never seen this happen before? Open the history, see what the high threat was and either remedy it restore and exclude (way too many have the main reason being no many users) and close the desktop window. Now it seems unless I remove the history for the High threat it keeps popping back up? Any reason for this?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: NS 22.14.2.13 keeps warning of a security threat even if removed.

Removing malware can require a system restart to ensure the removal has been completer.

I would suggest you run LiveUpdate manually a few times, restarting as necessary, until no updates are available. Then run a full system scan with your Norton Security software. Then restart the computer once more. 

Then monitor to see if you still get detections.

Now it seems unless I remove the history for the High threat it keeps popping back up? Any reason for this?

Your History entries are just log entries. They are not being detected by any Norton scans. Any thing that keeps popping up is still on your system.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

OK, that is what I thought, it was just a log...

Her PC was sleeping so I just woke it up. No sooner did I do that than the threat pop-up appeared?

Opened HISTORY and it NOW points to another MEDIUM entry this time from March???

Open Options:

This one was deemed not a problem and even Excluded as you can see above?

Note that this isn't even on the computer?

Searched for it:

This just started today???

I'll try to get an update via Live Update... but I'm stumped on this, especially what changed?

Kudos0

I ran UPDATE, did update to 22.15 and I'm rebooting and will try UPDATE again...

By the way, the minute I opened NS that warning about a threat came open again?

Kudos0

Have you checked Resolved/Unresolved history for related event and Delete related event.  

Kudos0

I assume you mean for the one found today, the Jaguar one? Yes, I deleted the record from RESOLVED and that one no longer was showing, it switched to the March one. UNRESOLVED has NO entries.

That March (and others) have been there 'forever'. Why are they now triggering notices? I've never had to REMOVE anything from History before?

I've now rebooted a few times, LIVE UPDATE claims that 22.15 is the latest as it says no more updates? There is no newer version this forum lists either?

Kudos0

Sorry, I'm probably not understanding.  R U asking why Page 1 of 1 displays with Resolved history?

Kudos0

Yes, and no...

In the first post I said she got one for a program (that we have no idea HOW or WHY it was installed) that was installed 2 days before and the EXE was deleted. At that time I tried figuring out where it came from but couldn't. Since the EXE was already Quarantined I deleted the WHOLE folder. Much to my surprise I got the notice again...so I deleted the entry hoping that would fix it.

Once I did that however, I got the warning but this time when I opened it it pointed to the March entry?

Why? This NEVER happened before?

Is this clear?

Kudos0

I'm imagining Norton back end processes and processing are reflected (updated n' corrected) in history.   
Processes and processing that take time to catch up. 
Do you suspect Norton program corruption? 

You may always Chat with Official Norton Support.

Kudos0

I don't know what to think? One thing I like about NS is that it basically is in the background until it hits a problem. We do see on both PC's notice when we come back to the PC if Norton is running a task that might slow it down (it doesn't), but other than that, it is all done in the background and even under the covers (Live Update usually) with the limited pop-ups that a reboot is needed.

For whatever reason, something has changed?

The original suspect code was installed this past Monday yet no notice of this until this morning? Don't know if a SCAN ran though?

Since I updated it has not happened again though?

No W10 updates happened either?

Was hoping someone else has seen the same thing? But surely I shouldn't be alerted to a 5 month old entry in History? Something else must be/have been triggering it?

Kudos0

Are you actually getting a pop up when you start your computer, or are you just looking at Norton History? The history is always going to be there unless you clear it.

If you are getting a new pop up try to get a screenshot and post it here so we can get a better idea of what is being detected.

Kudos0

I understand the history always being there. This pop-up just started today and continued another time until I delete the Resolve threat record...

That pop-up appeared 3 times today, but so far not since I UPDATED to 22.15.

I'm running a quick scan now, if I get one, I'll capture it and post. Otherwise, we'll see what happens tomorrow when the PC is booted.

Kudos0

ispalten. Clear all your system cookies and browser cache's for all browsers being used on the offending PC. Reboot. That is if the 22.15 update doesn't clear the issue.

Cheers

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Home / Professional x 64 version 1903 / build 18362.295 / N360 Deluxe 22.18.0.213 / Norton Core v.282 on Android 2.00
Kudos0

So far 22.15 seems to have stopped it. Ran the Quick Scan and it didn't find anything. We'll see tomorrow morning I guess?

What would the Browser Cache and Cookies have to do with this? NS uses them to determine a threat? Don't understand why?

Kudos0

Hello

Have you run the free version of Malwarebytes to see if it can find something that is malicious or something that shouldn't be there. It will check out the registry also. This deleted program could have left something behind to cause this popup. Malwarebytes is a good on demand scanner that checks for things that Norton doesn't check for.

Have a Good Night and

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.18.0.213 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Yes, it is clean... I did discover that see did D/L a game from a suspicious site last Sat... and I suspect when she ran it Monday it installed the other program that got caught. She had tried the game, didn't like it, and uninstalled it on Monday.

Tried a few different malware scanners, all were clean?

I guess there could have been a change in her Registry, but those are hard to find, and why would that change the operation of NS?

Kudos0

It appears the update may have cured it or it was some oddity that just happened. So far today, it hasn't shown up again. Fixed I guess?

Kudos0

The extra restarts since the issue showed up may also have helped resolve the issue.

Keep an eye on things for a few days and let us know if the issue remains resolved.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.