• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos5 Stats

Update on Norton Identity Safe changes on Chrome

Hi everyone,

Thank you for using Norton Identity Safe! 

Every now and then products have to adapt to take advantage of big technology changes.  In the last few years, major browsers (Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge, and Apple Safari) have converged on a common way to package and run highly capable browser extensions.  

To adapt to this change, we decided to rebuild Identity Safe from the ground up and made deliberate decisions based on our deep experience of securing your identity.  

Our new design aims to give you a new view of all your vault items, with fast searching, viewing and editing.

By building on modern, standardized browser extension technology, we are now able to support browsers and operating systems - like Edge on Windows 10 and Safari on Mac - that were not available with the previous version of Norton Identity Safe.

Also with this design, we are now able to roll out more frequent fixes, improvements, and new features to all types of browser users on all platforms together.

We apologize for any inconvenience due to the new Identity Safe extension and want to let you know we are listening and working hard to improve – we hope you stick with us for our new developments!

With the new design comes some changes we'd like to highlight as well as some comments on what we are doing in the future:

1. You still access your same online vault, but with some differences in how it’s done:
    • Signing in to your vault uses the same Norton Account and vault password as before, but doesn’t use the Norton Security interface.  You'll see some new screens from our extensions asking you for this information when you sign in. 
    • You will need to supply your vault password each time if you completely close and restart Chrome.   
    • We recognize and understand that this is a new experience - we are looking at future updates to make this process smoother - stay tuned!
    • You cannot access a local vault on Chrome with this extension.  We recommend converting local vaults to online vaults.  If you want to keep using the local vault, it is still available for now from Internet Explorer or from the main Norton Security interface.
  2. Form filling looks and behaves a little differently
  • Identity Safe now shows a pop-up in web pages (or you click on a small Norton badge icon) and can simply click on the login item you’d like to use.
  • This change from the previous Identity Safe design looks small, but is a powerful way to ensure that you are in full control of choosing which login to fill and when to do it.
  • We wanted to make sure the only way a website sees your login from your vault is when you take a definite action (that extra little click).

Q1. Does Identity Safe still work on Internet Explorer?

Yes.  If you see a prompt when opening your vault to migrate your Chrome extensions, please follow through on doing that (or uninstall Chrome if you are no longer using it) and you'll be able to open your vault in Internet Explorer.

Q2. I've tried to update my Identity Safe on Chrome but still can't open my vault on Internet Explorer - why?

See here :https://community.norton.com/en/forums/upgrade-your-identitysafe-extension-message-workaround

Q3. What is happening with the Norton Security Toolbar?

Our Norton Security Toolbar uses browser technology that Chrome has announced will be removed in the future – see more information here: 
https://blog.chromium.org/2017/05/goodbye-pnacl-hello-webassembly.html
https://developer.chrome.com/native-client/migration

Our initial steps were to release our updated Norton Identity Safe extension.  

We also saw this change as an opportunity to give a better experience and usability of your websites by removing the space taken up by your toolbar.  Don’t worry, it is still active and helping protect your online activities.  

Coming soon, we will release an update to your Norton Security Toolbar that will refresh the experience of the toolbar:

Mohanakrishnan G | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation

Replies

Kudos3 Stats

Re: Update on Norton Identity Safe changes on Chrome

So, Mohan posted the original explanation above going on a month and a half ago, followed by a series of negative comments on the NIS upgrade, all of which I agree with from my experience of the "upgrade". I, as with others, particularly do not want to store the totality of my account access information in the cloud, much prefer it local in my own assessment of security risk. I see very few responses from Norton staff, those I do see amount to "please be patient with us". I've been being patient. Am now wondering, if correcting the problems is indeed a priority, when are you actually going to correct them?

In the interim, I'd suggest that you make the previous version of NIS, with which I and other users were well satisfied, available for IMMEDIATE reinstallation and keep it available until you have solved the problems that make your "upgrade" unusable.

Like so many I've seen comment, I've been with Norton for many years. I use multiple products on multiple licenses / machines and have largely been well satisfied, have recommended Norton to many others,... until now. Sadly, I'm also considering moving to another service when next renewal comes up. That is partly because of the problems you have created with NIS, and partly because I see no actual progress toward a solution.

BTW, while this is my first forum post here and I'm thus typified as a 'newbie', you should understand that I've been using Norton products since the 8088 days when Peter Norton was himself writing the utilities. Am literally a user of most Norton products since their ver. 1.0 days, as well as having same sort of experience with most major competitors over the last 30+ years. Sad I should have to begin reconsidering my long term loyalty due to poor development practices and unresponsive customer service. Very sad...

Kudos2 Stats

In the interim, I'd suggest that you make the previous version of NIS, with which I and other users were well satisfied, available for IMMEDIATE reinstallation and keep it available until you have solved the problems that make your "upgrade" unusable.

It is not as easy as having earlier versions of NIS. It is the browser developers that no longer support the methods used by the older versions of NIS. That is why Norton had to make the changes it did.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos2 Stats

Please bear in mind that many (if not the majority) of private users are not computer techies.  So the posts and advice given means nothing to them if full of jargon.  Ordinary people should not have to dive into the innards of their software to try to correct what has been a disasterous and bug-filled "enhancement".

Kudos2 Stats

Concerning I use a private computer and know how to use it, why would you even think of taking copy and paste password in the open vault away? At least it would make it little easier for us that have secure private computers at home. Using Norton for more years I can count. I was laughed at for using you guys, yet I always stuck up for the company. Until you get this all worked out by 2950 at least give us users the ability to copy and paste. All about the speed.

Kudos0

Have there been any developments in the last two weeks?    Whenever I use Chrome, I get a popup asking me to log in to my Identity Safe Vault.   When I enter the login info, I get a message that says:  Norton Identity Safe / Sorry Something Went Wrong.   The settings look like I'm correctly set up for Chrome.

The Vault hasn't worked for me on Chrome for several weeks.

Thanks for any insights.   The error messages are getting annoying.

Kudos0

I did an on-line chart with Norton customer support and they fixed it.   Thanks.

Kudos0

Any resolution yet? My subscription expires in days and after around 15 years using Norton utilities I'm about to change to a competitor.
Kudos0

I can't log in to my email with the new stand alone Norton Identity Safe.  I can't edit my safe.  It has added passwords for various sites that I didn't make.  Every time I log in to a site it always asks me if I want to save the new password, but it isn't new.  There are several sites that just won't work with Identity Safe.  I liked it much better when it was a part of the Norton Antivirus package.  I've spent about 6+ hours with 2 different agents at Norton trying to fix the problem.   It had to be bumped up to a higher level tech whom I could never chat with.  The agents I worked with updated Chrome and messed up all my bookmarks.  I'm having to re-enter each one of those.  If this can't be fixed soon, I'll have to start over with another password manager which will cost me extra money.  Will Norton pay for that?

Kudos0

Okay guys you have sold me. Looks like am moving to Microsoft Edge. Great work and seems to be working fantastic. I take all the bad stuff I said in the last year or more back. I can see why it would have taken so long. 

Happy Customer!

Now about that coupon in 249 days. :-D

Kudos0

I hear you brother. I'm in the same boat.

I've got < 50 days to go on my sub and then I'm gone.

I hate having to go.  I've Been with Norton since XP.  But I just can't take it anymore and have lost the confidence that their products are protecting me 100%.  Anyway... Bitdefender Total Security, looks solid.

Good luck,

Ken 

Kudos0

I just got off a 45 minute chat (which hung up on me) and an hour phone call with Norton Tech Support who started out wanting to take control of my computer (NOT HAPPENING). I have 3 computers and a total of 5 devices running Norton Mobility. I have used Norton products since DOS 6.0 (I know a lot of you never saw DOS, before Windows existed) but I am giving up and looking for a better product that is more user friendly (any suggestions?). The only explanation I still get as a workaround is to completely reset Chrome and R&R Norton then run Live Update and restart after each update until there are no more updates. I recall that workaround six months ago and things haven't improved. IE still works but is as clunky as ever. Sorry I have over three hundred days on this subscription but so long NORTON/SYMANTEC!!!!! I'm Done.

Kudos0

Rooster66

Before you go, do you mind sharing what problem you were having that you needed to contact Support?

As always, you know we are here to try to help. (the volunteers, not Norton employees)

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos1 Stats

Peter, It's the same issues with the new extensions we have had since they were released. In Chrome you have to keep the tab open or let it run in the background. You can't sort you logins in anyway such as recently used, by name etc, so you have to scroll from top to bottom and back to select a login.. The extension still will not fill in many of my logins, you have to click on the login, then click on the ID Safe popup or cut/paste the login. It just too much hassel that we have had to endure. I would have expected a more mature update that the users did not have to tell the developers what to fix. They knew how it worked before (the old phrase "If it ain't broke don't fix it" comes to mind.I have sent feedback on websites that don't work but no change. Tech support always wants access to my computers and that will never happen. It's like they are all new employees and don't understand the frustrations the users are going through on a daily basis. The Suite is no longer a suite and it not integrated. the desktop appliction still tells you that ID Safe extension is not installed in Chrome and doesn't change because it's been segregrated. Just thank goodness, they haven't broke IE yet until I can decide on a replacement suite. Sorry for all the rant but over six months of this and I really haven't seen any change.

Kudos0

Well said! they claim it's because of changes to Chrome however I have changed to Dashlane and I don't have to keep logging in every time I close chrome. When my subscription is up on Norton I am moving my security elsewhere too after being a customer for 15 years.

Kudos0

I wish I had read this thread in the forum before I had "upgraded" my extension for Identity Vault in Chrome.  I have been "offered" the opportunity to move my local vault to the cloud repeatedly for the past few years, an offer I constantly decline.  I don't believe that not trusting the security of the cloud is necessarily a sign of paranoia, but more a sign of the realities of the online world.  I'll take my chances with local storage, thanks.  Even more, I wish I had read this thread BEFORE I let my account auto-renew.  Had I known what I know now, I would be using the anti-virus only and found a password manager that fit my needs.  Sorry, too bad, and now the gods of Norton/Symantec have finally found a way to attempt, once again, to force me to move my security to the cloud, regardless of why I purchased their product in the first place.  Yes, it is a hassle to open my local vault and manually fill in log-ins and forms, but I'll be damned if the inconvenience is going to push me to accept a choice I have refused to make.  Even more telling of their intent, an online chat with support suddenly "ended" after I questioned the representative why he needed to access my computer remotely to "fix" the problem.  What?  The script he read didn't have the honest answer in it?  Norton, wake up!  You are and will continue to lose long-term, loyal customers over this issue.  If you truly value all of your customers, you will reinstate the option to FULLY use the features of Identity Vault to cloud AND local users.

Kudos0

Norton extensions when using Edge and chrome I've noticed a problem unless it's just my computer after selecting whatever product I wish to buy going onto the payment process when the bank ask you to verify certain letters of your password the Norton extension seems to get in the way for example little Norton icon appears in the first box within the payments process there seems to be no way of removing it so you can't continue with the payment and they seams to be way of stopping it so I've gone back to Internet Explorer

Kudos0

My problem is I can't get the new browser cloud version to open for me.  I am trying to use edge.  Help

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.