• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Paaword Manager Forces Server Login After Every Shutdown

Greetings. I'm running Norton on a number of PCs with a multi-license. For the last few weeks, I have found that one PC client is forced to log on to the server once after every shutdown/reboot. I have reinstalled a number of times, without resolution.

This is occurring despite the fact that the primary GUI shows pre-authentication with the server. Again, it does not happen on other clients running the same OS. (Win 10 Pro).

On those systems, I only get prompted for my vault password and get right in. Any ideas?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Paaword Manager Forces Server Login After Every Shutdown

@James Garrard GA

Are you using the same browser on all the systems?

Kudos0

Hi, Yank. Thank you for responding.

Actually, I'm using Edge pretty much consistently with the same OS patch levels. This issue really isn't showing up on any extension. It's exclusively in the main Norton user interface. On most systems, I have to authenticate on occasion and it's saving it somewhere. Then I can click on the password manager and get to my entries with just the vault password. On this laptop, I have to put in the Norton site password once a session. It's almost like it's not retaining it across sessions.

Kudos1 Stats

All: This is also occurring on IE11, all systems on my network. Cold boot, try opening the vault, had been totally logged out of PWM as was the case yesterday morning at bootup. Had to login again, get 2FA code, then could open the vault normally. Today was the 2nd instance where this has taken place. The only thing I can see in history were several HUGE IPS definition updates. All other were basically the normal small updates to whitelists, etc. Norton services are showing green across the board as well. Zero updates from Microsoft or other software vendors. Just a head up, its not just Edge so there has to be a common backend issue happening.

Cheers

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Home / Professional x 64 version 1903 / build 18362.239 / N360 Deluxe 22.17.3.50 / Norton Core v.282 on Android 2.00
Kudos0

Update: Just confirmed the same as the past two cold boots on my machines. PWM IS logging us OUT of it being actively connected to our accounts at each shutdown. Same as with Edge and Chrome. This is taking place although, I am still showing as logged into my account under the main Norton UI. The view I currently have is this is now something that has changed with intent. Its not a backend issue from what I can muster at this point. Testing for the same behavior with a simple reboot as well.

Update: Tested on two machines with a simple restart. PWM does NOT log me out of an active connection to my account, the UI to enter the vault password appears as it normally should without a new account login.

Cheers

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Home / Professional x 64 version 1903 / build 18362.239 / N360 Deluxe 22.17.3.50 / Norton Core v.282 on Android 2.00
Kudos0

Same problem on IE and chrome. Have sought help from on line chat, twice. 2nd time they initially, insisted this was a design feature. But the problem keeps coming back after shut down.
Kudos0

Firstly, thank you all for your input. I did notice, when I logged in this morning, that the lack of retention of my server credentials seemed to have resolved it's self. I did not have to put in my Norton account details to get into the Password manager. I suspect someone (?) is putting some fixes in. 

Good luck and have a great New Year.

Kudos0

Still persists on my end with IE11.

Cheers

Kudos0

I have the same problem. No only does it require me to log into my account every time now the account login has added "I am not a robot" to the process. Why is this happening? I used to be able to login into password manager from the Norton toolbar without having to log into my account every time. Using IE11.

Kudos0

All: The latest product update to version 22.16.3.21 hasn't made any changes to the account login to get to the vault login issue on IE11. I'm awaiting a reply from the product Admin as to whether this is now hard coded into Norton products or something needing a bug fix. Will post as soon as I have a reply.

Cheers

Kudos0

Thanks everyone for reporting in Community Forums. Can you please let us know if you still facing "Norton Password Manager prompts for Norton Account login every time on IE browser"? 

Sunil_GA | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

Sunil, I posted in another thread where the same issue was reported. The issue still persists on my end, was even worse than previously getting the vault opened this morning.

Cheers

Kudos0

Sunil: I'm still having to log into my account first and then log into Password Manager. Only change since my original post is I'm no longer faced with having to prove I'm not a robot.

Kudos0

Still the same problem :(   W10 IE 11

NanaH

Kudos0

This is diabolical...why no response...change it back.

Kudos0

Still the same problem :(   W10 IE 11

Kudos0

Same problem on IE and Chrome. Telephone support told me this is a Norton security feature. I am glad it only happens on one PC but sad its the PC I use most. Most Norton features work quietly in the back ground. But I interact many times a day with my vault. So when it works in this way it really annoys me. I have 5 seats with 18 months left to run but I am already looking for an alternative. Does anyone know a good alternative to Norton for Password manager?

Kudos0

Hello Richard

You can still keep Norton, just use a different Password Manager. You don't have to use Norton's Password Manager. There are a number of free Password Managers out there.  Dashlane is an easy one to use. I have it installed on my Android phone  also. This one also stays open for like 5 minutes. It's all done in the name of security.

Have a Good Night and

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.3.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

I have a "personal solution" for the issue at hand. I disabled PWM, installed DashLane. No more issues with account logins and 2F2 which BOTH work whenever they feel like it . Wow that was simple.

Cheers

Kudos0

I am having the same problem. I came on here to post about it and saw it was already reported. It started a few weeks ago.
I normally open the password manager directly through Norton instead of through web browsers. After restarts (and maybe after the system sleeps as well, I'd have to verify this), Norton requires another login (including the 2FA) as well as the vault password. Before it would remain logged in unless I logged out manually and only required the vault password.

Win10Pro | NS | MBAM | Spybot S&D | SpywareBlaster | Acronis Ransomware Protection | KeyScrambler Prem | O&O ShutUp10 | Ghostery | MAXA Cookie Manager | HostsMan | OpenDNS | NordVPN | CCleaner | JV16 PowerTools | PerfectDisk Pro~ www.needGod.com
Kudos0

Thanks so much for the suggestion to try Dashlane. I will give it a try.

With Norton anti virus software most of the work is behind the scenes and my history with Norton always gave me a good feeling that despite not seeing the what was happening, Norton was being taking care of me.

Password management is a small part of Norton which I interact with Norton many times a day. When it fails and support tell me its a feature my faith is tested. If the part I see fails how can I trust the parts I don't see?

Come on Norton the first step in fixing a problem is admitting you have a problem to fix.

Kudos0

Hello

I'm glad you all like Dashlane.

Have a Good Night and

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.3.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

All: The development team will be working with users / customers here on the forums to gather logs. They may ask to do a remote session as well to gather the info they need to diagnose the issue. The latest word is the dev team cannot duplicate the issues that are being seen. @Sunil_GA

Cheers 

Kudos0

I just rebooted and the Password Manager login problem is fixed, at least on my system. When I clicked on the vault option in the Norton tool bar for IE I got the vault login prompt without having to log into my account. Earlier today I still had to do the account login first, but now it is back to behaving just as it used to. Somehow Norton has fixed it. Many thanks for hearing us and correcting the problem. Thanks!

Kudos0

Hello ErnieB. Did you perform a system shutdown, wait 2-3 minutes then do a cold restart or just a reboot?

Edited: Checked my daily live update history. There have been 7 live updates on this device since boot-time early this am. Powered down the system, waited 5 minutes, performed a "cold boot". Attempted PWM login from the Norton UI. STILL, had to log into my Norton account when I am already logged in, got a 2FA code, then logged into PWM/Vault. NOTHING has changed.

Cheers

Kudos0

Hello SoulAsylum: I had logged out of my account (no reboot) and about 20 minutes later logged back in. I selected the vault option from the Norton toolbar and got an immediate Password Manager login prompt, without having to first log into my Norton account. As a test I logged out and did a power down/reboot. As soon as the system was up I initiated a IE 11 session hit the vault prompt and got the Password Manager login prompt. I don't know what changed or when the change occurred, but the behavior is back to the way it was before whatever changed in early January. So far I've done several logout/reboot, logout/no reboot tests AND it seems to be fixed. I'm using the toolbar not the account interface if that makes a difference.

Kudos0

Well I don't know what's going on, but the account login issue is back. After my last post for a test I logged out of my account and then logged back in and now when I use the toolbar it prompts for my account login for password manager. Something is going on with updates under the covers, test, whatever.

Kudos0

still got the problem after several reboots...

Kudos0

ErnieB. The issue on your part seems to be that you weren't doing complete shutdowns, just restarts. The original issues are that whether or not doing a shutdown and restarting at another time. Or doing a simple reboot NPWM shouldn't be requiring an account login, getting a 2FA code and then be allowed access to log into the vault. The Norton dev team states they "cannot duplicate" the issue on their end.

Cheers

Kudos3 Stats

The problem appears to be fixed on my end (Norton no longer asks me to login to my account w/2FA every time -- so far I have restarted once and powered down once, after both times opening the vault will go straight to the vault login password).

One thing that I had tried that may have played a role in correcting this was to log out of my account in Norton. Even though Norton was asking me to login to my account when opening the vault, the main Norton window would show my email address indicating that I was logged into my Norton account. Here's what I would recommend:

(1) Live Update to ensure the latest updates are installed (in case it was corrected by something Symantec did on their end).

(2) Sign out of the Norton account by opening Norton Security and clicking on your email address at the top and sign out.

(3) Restart the computer.

(4) Login to the vault.

(5) Restart again and verify whether the problem has been fixed.

Win10Pro | NS | MBAM | Spybot S&D | SpywareBlaster | Acronis Ransomware Protection | KeyScrambler Prem | O&O ShutUp10 | Ghostery | MAXA Cookie Manager | HostsMan | OpenDNS | NordVPN | CCleaner | JV16 PowerTools | PerfectDisk Pro~ www.needGod.com
Kudos1 Stats

@SecurePC

I performed the steps you outlined several days ago and got no difference in the results. HOWEVER! Performing them just a bit ago, allowed the vault indeed to open WITHOUT an account login nor a 2FA authentication code. I have NOT validated whether this will remain the same from a cold boot for the first time of the day. I will perform that cold boot and edit this post accordingly with the results.

Update: From a cold start the vault DOES indeed open without the account login and 2FA code. Thanks and Kudos to SecurePC, resurrecting a formerly not workable solution. I believe we MAY have a solution for IE11 OR at the very least the clue for Norton to follow-up on.

Cheers

Kudos0

So far so good.  It worked for me, only tried it one time though. Strange I never had a problem on my w7 PC  (IE11) only on W10. (IE11)

Thank you very much for your help.

NanaH

Kudos0

First boot up of the day.....IT'S BACCCCCKKK !!!

Kudos0

still same problem after several shut downs

Kudos0

I also had to login again today after restarting for a driver update (graphics card). After logging out of my account in Norton Security, and logging back in, it did not ask me again. So far the steps I outlined before appear to provide a temporary fix on my end.

Kudos0

Reply to SoulAsylum,

Same problem here. I give up,  every time some thing else happen. and it is not for the good.

NanaH

Kudos0

Awaiting the fix on my end. Unfortunately, I'm out of ideas. I have disabling PWM, and am using an alternative until this is corrected.

Cheers

Kudos0

So far a week has passed and the login to Password Manager from the Norton toolbar for IE is still working as it did in the past. Select the vault and instead of making you log into your account and then to manager it just prompts for the vault password. This is the way it acted in the past then a change was made which required the account login first. Now it back to the "old" way. I'm a happy camper.

Accepted Solution
Kudos0

@James Garrard GA As the original poster could you please update your status? It appears IE11 PWM issue has been corrected, a new extension for the Edge browser has also been released to the Microsoft Store that corrects the Edge issue. Chrome appears to have been corrected as well. FireFox I cannot speak for since I don't use it and haven't see any references to the issue in forums lately.  Cheers!!

Kudos1 Stats

Hi, SoulAsylum . As of last week, I no longer noticed the issue in the Norton GUI client. Again, the issue for me was not on the Edge side. Something was obviously fixed. 

Thanks to you and the other folks participating in this thread!

Kudos0

You're most welcome. Glad to have been a part of helping. Have an awesome weekend.

Cheers

Kudos0

I too am happy that this problem has at last been fixed.  This was something I mentioned in another thread towards the end of December.  I have waited a couple of weeks to ensure it is a permanent fix.  It is a relief not having to sign in twice every time I accessed the vault.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.