• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Windows Sandbox

Just Updated Windows 10 Pro to May 2019 Update. Enabled and opened Windows Sandbox.  There is no internet connection.  If I disable Norton Smart Firewall, I have internet access. I opened settings in Norton Security-Firewall-Program control and added windowssandbox.exe and checked "allow".  Still no internet connection. Suggestions?

Labels: Firewall

Replies

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Windows Sandbox

I had the same problem.  Since Sandbox is a subset of Hyper-V VM, this solution worked for me:

https://community.norton.com/en/comment/7979221#comment-7979221

Specifically the part about " put in the VM network adapter MAC " is what did the trick.

It did seem to be necessary to reboot my (real) PC to get this to work, though that could just be Voodoo.

Kudos0

I added the MAC address of the Hyper-V ethernet adapter under "device trust" in Norton Security but it still won't connect. Before or after rebooting. Interestingly the MAC address changes with each reboot of host computer.  I also tried resetting the firewall to no avail.

Kudos0

Interesting. My MAC address is unchanging between reboots.

To get the MAC address, I did the following:

From within the sandbox, I right-clicked the Internet icon in the system tray and selected "Open Network and Internet Settings". Then, from the "Status" frame, I selected "Change connection properties". 

At the bottom of the resultant window I found "Properties" which included, among other things:

Manufacturer: Microsoft

Description: Microsoft Hyper-V Network Adapter

Physical address (MAC): [the MAC address I entered into Norton]

As I said earlier, this MAC address is unchanging between system reboots.

Kudos0

Hello iflicken. Do you have virtualization set in your system BIOS, does it support it?

Cheers

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Home / Professional x 64 version 1903 / build 18362.239 / N360 Deluxe 22.17.3.50 / Norton Core v.282 on Android 2.00
Kudos0

You are correct.  The MAC address changes in the host os but not the guest os.  But even if I enter the Windows Sandbox (guest os) Hyper-V Ethernet adapter MAC address into Norton, it still does not connect.  Virtualization is enabled in BIOS.  Do I need to enable Hyper-V in Windows features?

Kudos0

lflickin:.  Do I need to enable Hyper-V in Windows features?

I didn't enable any Hyper-V features - only Windows Sandbox.

It does seem to take a minute or two for an internet connection to be established in the sandbox. 

Kudos0

Now the program won't even open.  I get error code 0x800702e.  I tried removing and then enabling Windows Sandbox in Windows features but still no longer opens. Tried SFC /scannow but no issues noted.

Kudos0

Did you reboot after making the changes?

Cheers

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Home / Professional x 64 version 1903 / build 18362.239 / N360 Deluxe 22.17.3.50 / Norton Core v.282 on Android 2.00
Kudos0

Yes

Kudos0

Now the program won't even open.  I get error code 0x800702e.

*Validate that your system date & time are correct and currently synched between the host and sandbox.  A known issue with sandbox is the host date/time not synching with sandbox.

I cannot locate any documentation for the specific error code 0x800702e, here are some tips from MS .   This article from Ten Forums may help as well.

Cheers

Kudos0

I have the same issue too.  Sandbox opens fine, but doesn't have any internet available inside it.  Where inside the Norton Firewall settings can this issue be adjusted?  I'm running Windows Pro.

Kudos0

All: Changing your host adapter from private to public corrected the issue as posted here in Ten Forums.

Cheers

Kudos0

So that has to be done every time Sandbox is opened?  Or is this a "once and done" change?

Kudos0

koz83. Although the Ten Forums article doesn't specifically state its safe to say that each time you run sandbox you will indeed need to change the network setting to private each use. This is because one closed, sandbox and the contents of whatever was being done within it are deleted from the system.

Cheers

Kudos0

SoulAsylum: In your June 4th post you state that you have to change the host adapter to public for Sandbox to work but in your June 11th post you state that you need to change the adapter to private.  You also intimate that it is the guest adapter that you need to change because you lose the change when closing the guest os.  Which is it?

Kudos0

My apologies for the typo. The HOST adapter has to be set to PUBLIC per the article I linked to.

Cheers

Kudos0

Yes, sorry for the dumb question.

Kudos0

Mine still isn't working.  Can anybody a video of a successful solution?  Thanks :)

Kudos0

Sorry about the above grammatical error. 

*Can anybody post a video of a successful solution?*