• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Glitch with new FF Safe Web 3.8.0.6 on FF 52.9.0

I have Win XP SP3 on Norton Maintenance mode  I use Firefox v52.9.0 only as a browser. We recently had a glitch with Norton Safe Web add on  v3.7.0.11 which was successfully resolved.  This has very recently automatically upgraded to v3.8.0.6 which  purports to be OK in Firefox and by Norton but the grey question mark icon in Firefox permanently shows now at each web page and the green tick icon is absent throughout.

I am not the only one with this glitch and I am told that a reversion to Safe Web add on v3.7.0.11 will solve the problem but I would be grateful  if this could be attended to properly.  Perhaps some liaison between Norton and Firefox to restore the operation of the green tick.

Replies

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Glitch with new FF Safe Web 3.8.0.6 on FF 52.9.0

Hi imbart:

I don't normally use use Norton Safe Web (NSW) but I can confirm that NSW v3.7.0.11 seems to work correctly in my FF ESR v52.9.0 browser while the latest NSW v3.8.0.6 displays a grey question mark (no available information) on every site I visit.  All other extensions in my browser are working correctly.

Norton Services Status at https://status.norton.com/ shows the Norton Safe Web server is currently up and running in my area, and none of the following troubleshooting steps I tried fixed the problem:

• Refreshed the web pages
  • Disabled other browser extensions and restarted my browser
  • Disabled the requirement for certificate signing for add-ons by changing the setting for  xpinstall.signatures.required to FALSE in the advanced browser settings at about:config (see the Mozilla support article Add-on Signing in Firefox)

------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Norton Security Deluxe v22.15.2.22

Kudos0

Thanks, imacri. 

I have posted about this on Firefox forum also and hope it will get fixed.

Kudos0

Hallo again imacri

As the problem persisted and  nothing seemed to be happening I decided to revert to NSW 3.7.0.11.  However this opportunity doesn't seem to exist as I write.  I tried two Firefox NSW add on version sites (both similar) and each version listed changed from "add to firefox" to "remove" as the pages loaded. The second one went further and also said in red "This add on is not suitable on your platform" above each in the list. I am hoping this may be temporary to enable the glitch to be sorted but I hope we are not abandoned.

Sorry to bother you again but I wondered if you knew what was happening.

Kudos0

imbart:

As the problem persisted and  nothing seemed to be happening I decided to revert to NSW 3.7.0.11.  However this opportunity doesn't seem to exist as I write. 

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/norton-safe-web/
--
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/norton-safe-web/versions/ 

Remove (cycle Firefox)

Add (cycle Firefox)

@imbart

Kudos0

Thanks for your interest, bjm.

These are the ones I tried and for me all the "add to firefox" boxes change while the page loads to display a grey "remove" only on the loaded page so I never get the "add to Firefox".  Something is wrong  somewhere but I am more or less blocked from installing any of these versions for some reason.

I may have to do without NSW unless it is fixed.  I still live in hope.

Kudos0

Okay, I'll sit on my hands re FF 52.9.0.   I misunderstood " However this opportunity doesn't seem to exist as I write" and now recall you're Win XP SP3.    

Kudos0

imbart:
...I decided to revert to NSW 3.7.0.11.  However this opportunity doesn't seem to exist as I write.  I tried two Firefox NSW add on version sites (both similar) and each version listed changed from "add to firefox" to "remove" as the pages loaded. The second one went further and also said in red "This add on is not suitable on your platform" above each in the list...

Hi imbart:

Further to bjm_'s post, try the following:

1. In Firefox ESR v52.9.0, go to Tools | Add-ons | Extensions and click the Remove button for any version of Norton Safe Web that is currently installed.
  2. Close Firefox.
  3. Open Firefox and browse to the Version History page on the official Mozilla Add-ons (AMO) website at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/norton-safe-web/versions/.
  4. Click the + Add to Firefox button for the older Norton Safe Web v3.7.0.11 extension (rel. 25-Mar-2019; compatible with FF v48 and higher).

If the latest available Norton Safe Web v3.8.0.6 (rel. 15-May-2019) was not compatible with FF ESR v52.9.0 you would see a red warning banner when you browsed to the extension home page on the official AMO at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/norton-safe-web/.  For example, I know that I cannot install the latest Video DownloadHelper v7.3.5 extension (rel. 25-May-2019) because when I browse to https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/video-downloadhelper/ I see the warning:

------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Norton Security Deluxe v22.15.2.22

Kudos0

Thanks for your assistance again, bjm.

Hi imacri

I mentioned before elsewhere that I am a technophobe with XP SP3 and FF ESR 52.9.0 and sorry about any silly questions.. 

Are you saying that if I remove NSW 3.8.0.6 all the NSW addon versions will show blue "add to firefox" and will not  show grey "remove" as at present when I load the page?  Is the reason the all versions list of NSW addons show "remove" because one is already installed?  What I am slightly concerned about is that if I remove 3.8.0.6 and still get "remove" showing  I may not be able to get NSW back.

I value your  knowledge and assistance which you have kindly provided all on this same subject and regret the subject  seems to throw up so many different problems

Kudos1 Stats

imbart:
....Are you saying that if I remove NSW 3.8.0.6 all the NSW addon versions will show blue "add to firefox" and will not  show grey "remove" as at present when I load the page?  Is the reason the all versions list of NSW addons show "remove" because one is already installed?

Hi imbart:

Yes, you have to remove your current version of Norton Safe Web first before you are allowed to install another version.  I presume Firefox is designed this way to prevent you from running multiple versions of the same browser extension at the same time.  It's a bit confusing since every version of Norton Safe Web listed at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/norton-safe-web/versions/ has a grey Remove button when only one version is installed (that's why my instructions <above> suggest you use the Remove button from the Firefox Add-on Manager at Tools | Add-ons | Extensions to uninstall Norton Safe Web), but that's not unique to Norton Safe Web - the Version History pages on the AMO for all my Firefox extensions behave this way.

If you want to prevent Norton Safe Web v3.7.0.11 from automatically updating to v3.8.0.6 after it's installed, go to Tools | Add-ons | Extensions, click the More link next to Norton Safe Web, and change Automatic Updates from Default to OFF.

------------

Kudos0

Thanks again, imacri.

That explains everything to me.  I really appreciate your comprehensive explanations on  matters without which I would  probably foul things up.  Now I am confident about proceeding further I may just keep things up my sleeve for a while on the off chance Norton or Firefox may sort it out in the meantime.  After al I pay them enough.  I have owned computers since 1997 but I am a " fair weather" operator and rarely interfere with the works . I really appreciate people like you on these forums.

I shall try not to pester you further on this matter. Best of luck!

Kudos0

Hi imbart:

No worries, and be sure to post back if you have any other questions or need a status update on how well Norton Safe Web (NSW) v3.x is working in my FF ESR v52.9.0 browser.

Just a suggestion, but you might want to unmark this thread as Solved.  I'm personally doubtful that anyone from Symantec will respond to your request for assistance (I got fed up being ignored every time I reported yet another glitch with Norton Safe Web in my FF browser, which is one of the many reasons I no longer use this extension) but you definitely won't hear from them if this thread is marked as Solved.  Downgrading NSW to v3.7.0.11 isn't really a solution - just a temporary workaround - and if the system requirements at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/norton-safe-web/versions/ state that the latest NSW v3.8.0.6 is compatible with FF v48 and higher then I hope that one of the Symantec employees will at least acknowledge that v3.8.0.6 needs to be fixed so that it will work with FF ESR v52.9.0.
------------

Kudos0

You're right, imacri.  Big mistake.  We only have a workaround.  It's not solved.

I've unmarked the thread as solved so that the problem can hopefully be acknowledged and fixed.

Kudos0

Hello

XP SP3 is in Maintenance Mode now. I am not sure if your issue is something that Norton will fix Please have a look at this link 

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/norton-maintenance-mode-windows-xp-and-windows-vista

Have a Good Night and

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.3.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Thank you, floplot. I appreciate your interest and assistance.

I am aware of the limitations of Maintenance Mode but hitherto until the last Norton Safe Web (NSW) add on update (v3.8.0.6)  the add on has been maintained.  We had the certification glitch which was fixed and now there is different one for Firefox ESR 52.9.0 which a surprising number of people with XP and Vista still rely on. The glitch is as stated - only the grey question mark icon shows now and if you click that it just shows a blank box. The geen tick is absent.  Norton and Firefox both purport to show all is fine which it isn't. Furthermore the current list of Firefox NSW add on versions claim v3.8.0.6 is compatible with FF 48 and above which at the moment it doesn't seem to be and needs fixing..

The workaround is to revert to the previous version of NSW  v3.7.0.11 where I am told everthing works fine.  I still live in hope because I pay good money for Norton and expect what is provided to work properly.

Kudos2 Stats

floplot:

XP SP3 is in Maintenance Mode now. I am not sure if your issue is something that Norton will fix...
imbart:
... I still live in hope because I pay good money for Norton and expect what is provided to work properly...

Norton Safe Web (NSW) is a free standalone product that's available to the general public on the Mozilla add-on store at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/norton-safe-web/.  Symantec's system requirements for NSW v3.8.0.6 for Firefox state that this version is compatible with FF v48 and higher, so this extension should work in any FF ESR v52.9.0 browser on any Win XP or Vista computer, regardless of whether that user runs Norton, Panda, ESET or any other antivirus.  It's not relevant that Norton Security v22.15.x is in "maintenance mode" for XP/Vista users (or that you even pay for a Norton subscription) because NSW is not a licensed component of your Norton antivirus.

I have the latest Bitdefender TrafficLight v3.0.0 extension installed in my FF ESR v52.9.0 browser and I don't need to purchase a Bitdefender antivirus in order to use this free extension.
------------

Kudos0

Thanks for explaining  that imacri.

I seem to be learning all the time about this.  My Norton window seems connected to the add on - the Internet Security section telling me NSW add on for Firefox is installed and purports that all is well when it isn't and my Firefox extension section also shows it is purportedly installed without problem. I'm still hoping someone sorts it out but useful to hear about Bitdefender Traffic Light as an alternative.

Kudos0

Is anyone from Norton looking into this?

I can't see anything in the official Norton documentation that would explain why Norton Safe Web for Firefox v3.7.0.11 works correctly in FF ESR v52.9.0 but v3.8.0.6 doesn't. The change log on the Mozilla AMO at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/norton-safe-web/versions/ still states that NSW v3.8.0.6 is compatible with FF v48 and higher, and the Norton support article Add the Norton Browser Extensions (last modified 24-May-2019) states "If you have installed Microsoft XP or Microsoft Vista, you can use only the Norton Safe Web extension." (see the comments under the section titled "Mozilla Firefox").

I contacted Norton Customer Support via Live Chat on 31-May-2019 and tried to report this bug without success.  I was initially told "I would like to inform you that the issue is now resolved and now you can simply remove and reinstall the extension on your web browser."  I replied that a reinstall didn't fix the problem and was finally told "The best I can suggest you to use different web browser like Internet explorer or Chrome on your device or upgrade your Windows version to the latest".  I can't imagine any Win XP or Vista user would install an old Chrome v49 browser that hasn't been supported since April 2016 just to update to NSW v3.8.x, and I don't even know if the current Norton Safe Web for Chrome v3.8.0.11 works correctly in Chrome v49 on a Vista machine.  Internet Explorer isn't a viable option either - my IE9 browser hasn't received a security patch via Windows Update since Vista reached EOS in April 2017 and doesn't support secure https:// connection protocols like TLS 1.1 and 1.2 (at least not without manual installation of Win Server 2008 security updates and a registry hack) that are supported in FF ESR v52.9.0 by default.  Even worse, the old Norton Toolbar v2015.14.2.201 for IE9 (with integrated NSW and Identity Safe) at C:\Program Files\Norton Security\Engine\22.15.2.22\coIEPlg.dll hasn't been updated for years.
------------

Kudos1 Stats

I have this issue as well (WinXP SP3, NIS 22.15.2.22, FF 52.9.0).  Like the original poster mentioned, both NIS and FF indicate that NSW is installed and I'm protected, but the NSW icon in the toolbar never changes from the gray "?".  I'm wondering which of two possible scenarios is in play:

1. NSW is, indeed, installed correctly and working (i.e. verifying the "safeness" of the pages visited), but simply isn't updating the toolbar icon to show this?
  2. Contrary to what NIS and FF indicate, NSW is not installed correctly and is not working, thus the never changing gray "?" toolbar icon?

If the first is true, I would think it is a relatively simple bug to track down.  However, if the second is true, then there would seem to be a far bigger problem to address.

Sadly, it seems only those of us on the forums (either Norton or Mozilla) are paying any attention to this.

Kudos0

Hello

I tried  to get the attention of Norton, but they are busy since a Norton Security was updated again. Don't know if that is the reason though. I did some Googling and came up with something, but you are all most likely aware of this already.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/end-support-windows-xp-and-vista

I tried, but it is probably worthless to you all. From what I read Norton Safe Web Lite is no longer supported. That was the free version of Safe Web. The Norton Safe Web that is offered now is a part of the Norton product

I'm not a Symantec Employee, so this is nothing official

Have a Good Night and

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.3.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

You can safely check to see if the Norton Safe Web extension is working by visiting the Phishing Protection Test Page:

https://www.amtso.org/check-desktop-phishing-page/

If that page gets blocked you should be safe.  If not, Symantec will have to work something out.

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Kudos0

Thanks for all the input.

As aforementioned I have XP on Maintenance Mode and have reverted to NSW 3.7.0.11 until (hopefully) the problem gets sorted and I have cancelled the automatic update. This version  works fine and shows the usual green tick icon. It is v3.8.0.6 which purports to be working by Norton and Firefox but only shows the grey question mark icon.

The news about Norton withdrawing support for XP has been there about a year because I bookmarked it when I first saw it. 

Since then NSW had automatically updated without problem until v3.8.0.6 when that version suddenly appeared with the defect.  NSW 3.8.0.6 is still shown as the latest version as I write.

I checked the phishing page indicated by Krusty13 and it blocked correctly with v3.7.0.11 but  I didn't reinstall v3,8.0.6 to try it because of the known faults with XP.

Kudos0

Krusty13:

You can safely check to see if the Norton Safe Web extension is working by visiting the Phishing Protection Test Page: https://www.amtso.org/check-desktop-phishing-page/

If that page gets blocked you should be safe.  If not, Symantec will have to work something out.

Hi Krusty13:

That AMTSO test page will only confirm that my browser has anti-phishing protection, but that doesn't necessarily tell me if Norton Safe Web (NSW) v3.8.0.6 is working correctly.  You would have to ensure that all other browser extensions that could potentially blocks phishing sites (e.g., Adblock Plus, Bitdefender TrafficLight, Malwarebytes Browser Extension for Firefox, etc.) were disabled before the test.  For example,  if I try to browse to that AMTSO test page with the latest NSW v3.8.0.6 and Bitdefender TrafficLight v3.0.0 both enabled, my browser indicates that Bitdefender TrafficLight is blocking that test page.  I also suspect the anti-phishing protection built in to my Firefox ESR browser described in the Mozilla support article How Does Built-in Phishing and Malware Protection Work? would block that AMTSO test page even if every browser extension, including Norton Safe Web, was disabled - see my March 2018 comments <here>.

NSW is also supposed to provide other types of protection [e.g., show a poor (orange) / unsafe (red) safety rating icon for sites with a known reputation for adware or drive-by downloads of malware] which that AMTSO anti-phishing page doesn't test for.

I should mention that I don't normally use NSW (it's only installed for testing at the moment) and I don't rely on Bitdefender TrafficLight exclusively for my browser's anti-phishing and anti-malware protection.  I only installed Bitdefender TrafficLight in my Firefox browser because it displays site safety ratings in my Google search results.
------------

Kudos0

Hi Lmacri,

Firstly, Firefox's phishing protection shouldn't come into play at that site, or at least it never has on any of my machines.  I believe this is because it is a test site, testing only those who have decided to participate.  If a vendor's name does not appear they do not participate.  This applies to other extensions too, which is why TrafficLight blocks that page, but AdBlock Plus and MalwareBytes, NoScript, uBlock Origin etc extensions will not.

NSW is also supposed to provide other types of protection [e.g., show a poor (orange) / unsafe (red) safety rating icon for sites with a known reputation for adware or drive-by downloads of malware] which that AMTSO anti-phishing page doesn't test for.

This is true, but if it doesn't block a safe test phishing page then I certainly wouldn't expect it to protect a user from real, more dangerous threats.

Cheers.

Kudos0

Also, drive-by downloads (and others) can be tested by visiting https://www.amtso.org/security-features-check/ .

Kudos1 Stats

Krusty13:

Firstly, Firefox's phishing protection shouldn't come into play at that site...If a vendor's name does not appear they do not participate.  This applies to other extensions too, which is why TrafficLight blocks that page, but AdBlock Plus and MalwareBytes, NoScript, uBlock Origin etc extensions will not....

Hi Krusty13:

I repeated the AMTSO Anti-Phishing test at https://www.amtso.org/check-desktop-phishing-page/ with Norton Safe Web v3.8.0.6 (all other browser extensions disabled) and the test fails:

...Also, drive-by downloads (and others) can be tested by visiting https://www.amtso.org/security-features-check/ .

The AMTSO Drive-By Download test at https://www.amtso.org/feature-settings-check-drive-by-download/ passes, but the EICAR test virus is blocked by my main Norton Security AV product (the detection is logged at Security | History | Intrusion Prevention) and not by Norton Safe Web v3.8.0.6.

------------

Kudos0

Thanks @lmacri.

I have raised this issue with the forum Admin.  Hopefully they will look into this issue for people using older Operating Systems.

Cheers,
Dave

Kudos0

Krusty13:

...I have raised this issue with the forum Admin...

Bump.  This thread is over a month old now and we're still waiting for someone from Norton to tell us if this is a software bug or if Symantec just forgot to update the system requirements for the latest NSW for FF v3.8.0.6 at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/norton-safe-web to ensure Firefox ESR v52.9.0 users with a functional NSW for FF v3.7.0.11 can't update to v3.8.0.6.

I noticed the following in today's product update announcement <here> for the latest v22.17.3.50:

• Norton Security and Norton Security with Backup 'Internet Security' pillar health in Main UI, Task Bar icon and System tray icon will show Red, if Safe Web extension is not installed in Default browser. This will be visible in English builds only.

While I presume this "feature enhancement" won't affect Win XP / Vista users posting in this thread who must use legacy versions of Norton v22.15.2.22 / Firefox ESR v52.9.0, this certainly gives me one more reason not use one of my spare installation seats to install Norton on my Win 10 machine.
------------

Kudos0

Hi lmacri,

No one has got back to me about my enquiry so I have given them a gentle reminder.

Thanks.

Kudos0

Still no comment, sorry guys.

Kudos2 Stats

Hi Everyone,

Please refer system requirements for Norton Password Manager. Supported Mozilla Firefox browser version (Current and previously-released major versions). With regards to Norton Safe Web version 3.8.0.6 support firefox 65.0 and later. We have updated https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/norton-safe-web/versions/  web page accordingly. Thanks

Sunil_GA | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

Sunil_GA:

...Please refer system requirements for Norton Password Manager. Supported Mozilla Firefox browser version (Current and previously-released major versions). With regards to Norton Safe Web version 3.8.0.6 support firefox 65.0 and later....

Hi Sunil_GA:

Thanks for the status report.  I can confirm that the version history on Mozilla's AMO at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/norton-safe-web/versions/ now correctly display a red banner and prevents me from installing the latest Norton Safe Web v3.8.0.6 extension (rel. 15-May-2019) when I view that webpage in my Firefox ESR v52.9.0 browser (see image below).

There are other support articles that will have to be revised as well.  For example, if you expand the section titled Mozilla Firefox in the support article Add the Norton Browser Extensions (last revised 26-Jun-2019) the footnote at the bottom of that section still says:

"If you have installed Microsoft XP or Microsoft Vista, you can use only the Norton Safe Web extension."

------------

Kudos0

Sunil_GA:

...Please refer system requirements for Norton Password Manager. Supported Mozilla Firefox browser version (Current and previously-released major versions). With regards to Norton Safe Web version 3.8.0.6 support firefox 65.0 and later. We have updated https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/norton-safe-web/versions/  web page accordingly. Thanks

Hi Sunil_GA:

One other concern.  The latest desktop versions of Firefox are currently Firefox v67.x and Firefox ESR v60.7.x (both released 21-May-2019) per the release calendar at https://wiki.mozilla.org/Release_Management/Calendar.  If the system requirements have been changed to Firefox 65.0 and higher (and not Firefox 57.0 or even 60.0 and higher) then Win 7 SP1 and higher users who use the latest ESR (extended support release) of Firefox will not be able to install the Norton Safe Web v3.8.0.6 extension.
------------

Kudos1 Stats

Sunil_GA:
...With regards to Norton Safe Web version 3.8.0.6 support firefox 65.0 and later. We have updated https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/norton-safe-web/versions/  web page accordingly.

Hi Sunil_GA:

Further to the revised system requirements for Norton Safe Web, I can confirm that a Win 10 machine using the latest Firefox ESR v60.8 (released 09-Jul-2019) is prevented from installing NSW v3.8.0.6, which now requires FF v65 and higher.  Even worse, the latest Norton v22.17.3.50 for Win 7 SP1 and higher now displays a red / unsafe warning in the system tray icon and Internet Security pillar on the Norton interface if NSW is not installed and enabled (sample images are posted in Topopurim47's thread Tray Icon is Now Red) so I'm guessing that FF ESR v60.8 / Norton v22.17.3.50 who are now prevented from installing NSW v3.8.0.6 will not be able to clear this security warning unless they install an older, archived version of this browser extension.

The latest Bitdefender TrafficLight for Firefox v3.0.0 (which requires FF v48 and higher) not only functions correctly in my FF ESR v52.9.0 browser, but it also displays site safety rating icons in my Google search results as shown in my image below.  Recall that NSW for Firefox has not displayed site safety rating icons in Google search results since NSW v2.3.0.24 was released in Nov 2017 - see CurrentR's Bring Back Safeweb Icons for Google Search in Firefox - Please Reply. I am not sure how Norton can claim that NSW for Firefox is incompatible with older FF browsers and cannot display site safety rating icons in Google / Bing search because of the technical constraints placed on developers by Mozilla's Quantum engine (introduced in FF v57 in Nov 2017) and the WebExtensions API when competitors like Bitdefender appear to have found a viable solution.

Whoever changed the system requirements for Norton Safe Web for Firefox v3.8.0.6 on the Mozilla AMO at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/norton-safe-web/ so it can only be installed in FF v65 and higher apparently did so because that was the most convenient "solution" (i.e., it was faster and easier than running QA tests with older FF ESR versions and tweaking the code to ensure compatibility). The change log <here> for v3.8.0.6 only say "Minor bug fix" and doesn't even warn users that NSW for Firefox has suddenly dropped support for Win XP / Vista so it doesn't look like this change was planned in advanced.  I realize you are only passing on information from the software development team about the new system requirements, but Norton should be more transparent when features are removed from their browser extensions and/or system requirements are changed.
------------