• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

PUA.SearchProtect | Symantec

I get notifications once in awhile from your product stating PUA.SearchProtect has been detected and wants me to exclude it.  From what I quickly read on the internet this is one of your files?
I also notice that for some reason some process regarding Microsoft and Skype also kicks off some automated batch file that coincides with your message.  I don't know if they are linked, or complete coincidence.

Do I want to follow through and EXLCLUDE this process?

Thank you!

Labels: Auto-Protect

Replies

Kudos0

Re: PUA.SearchProtect | Symantec

Derek. Although this may exhibit the characteristics of a PUP, as Norton may be seeing it. You could be seeing a browser hijack process. Download and run a full scan with Malwarebytes to see what it finds just to be safe.

Cheers

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows Server 2016 Essentials / Windows 10 Professional x 64 version 1903 / build 18362.356 / N360 Deluxe 22.19.8.65 / Norton Core v.282 on Android 2.00
Kudos0

Re: PUA.SearchProtect | Symantec

It looks like you may have picked up a PUP, a Possibly Unwanted Program. While they are annoying, they do not cause damage to your system. Some people actually want the 'Features' offered by these programs. They are usually downloaded alongside a legitimate download when you do not uncheck the option for the additional download.

Norton products concentrate on malware that can damage your system, that is why some PUPs are not detected.

I would suggest a second opinion scan using the FREE version of Malwarebytes. You can find it here https://www.malwarebytes.com/premium/

If you wish, you can disable the Premium version trial to use the product as an on demand scanner by using the instructions here.  https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1033

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.