• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

100% disk usage

Hi, I earlier today noticed my computer running really slow, taking forever just to open the browser (chrome), or any other app or folder. In task manager, I saw that my disk usage was at 100%. Digging down I found Norton Security Suite was consuming the major portion of this usage. I also checked and noticed that most of the activity was the disk being written to (2-3 Mb/sec) with reading only in kilobytes. There was no scan being performed or any other activity I could discover being performed by NSS (Norton Security Suite) so I have no idea what all the writing was all about. After reading a lot of people saying they had the same problem and techs saying wipe your drive and do a clean boot,etc. etc., to no avail I remembered that earlier today I added safe web and safe search to my browser, Google chrome, and soon after that is when the 100% disk usage started. I removed both and within 2 minutes disk usage dropped below 10%. I don't know if something is skewed on my computer or what, but after reading all those other people stressing over the same problem, I thought I would proffer my own experience, maybe someone will profit from these words, maybe not, just putting it out there.

Labels: Windows 10

Replies

Kudos0

Re: 100% disk usage

The issue lies with Chrome and how it deals with extensions. Chrome now "sandboxes or isolates" each process it processes while surfing thus there will be many separate instances of Chrome running at the same time. Below is an example from my machine when using Chrome.

Try deleting your history file in Chrome first. Microsoft has posted a suggested solution for the issue here.

Cheers

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Home / Professional x 64 version 1903 / build 18362.295 / N360 Deluxe 22.18.0.213 / Norton Core v.282 on Android 2.00
Kudos0

I'm confused. You are using Google Chrome and Skype as the cause of the high disk usage. When I looked at task manager the cause was Norton Security. Chrome and skype were not even listed as high users. As I alluded to in my previous post, I may have some other malware that was interacting with Safe browse and Safe search but I don't know.  I used Norton Power Eraser to scan for malware but it didn't find anything but some malware are very good at hiding, or so I have been told. But back to what you posted, my issue had nothing to do with Chrome or Skype using disk resources.

Kudos1 Stats

When I had something similar a few weeks back, that had been building up for weeks as my PC got slower and slower, I blamed Norton (because it kept showing up as the "culprit" in Task Manager). In fact, it turned out to be a bad block/sector on my HD itself, found by using Event Viewer, which showed thousands of disk errors, and then fixed by using SeaTools (I have a Seagate disk). It's been fine since and is practically like a new PC again. So a wee weekly squizz at Event Viewer is now part of my weekly "admin" regime just to keep an eye and not get caught with that one again.

Kudos0

Interesting! Thanks for that insight, I'll look into that.

Kudos0

To check your hard disk using a tool included in Windows, click on the Windows Start button. In the search box type CMD. Right click on cmd.exe and click on run as administrator. In the command prompt type "chkdsk c: /r"  without the quotes. A message will come up asking if you want to check the disk on the next restart. Answer 'Y'. Reboot and the check disk will run before Windows starts up. This check will check the file system as well as the physical disk surface. This scan can take a long time, depending on the size of your hard drive.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

MrPostman. In your opening post you said:

Hi, I earlier today noticed my computer running really slow, taking forever just to open the browser (chrome), or any other app or folder.

today I added safe web and safe search to my browser, Google chrome, and soon after that is when the 100% disk usage started. I removed both and within 2 minutes disk usage dropped below 10%.

This is a known issue with the latest releases of Chrome. As David stated above your hard drive may need a cleanup, defrag and/or bad sector check. No confusion was meant. There are times when the obvious isn't what the actual issue is and we think out of the box for an answer. I corrected the issue seen in my screenshot by removing Chrome and extensions. Rebooted, installed the latest version and extensions. The issues have not resurfaced.

Cheers

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Home / Professional x 64 version 1903 / build 18362.295 / N360 Deluxe 22.18.0.213 / Norton Core v.282 on Android 2.00
Kudos1 Stats

If you look in Event Viewer for Event Type Errors of Event ID 7 (it'll make sense when you look!) I had thousands of them. It might not be your problem but it's defo worth a look. Now got zero and a (fairly) zippy laptop again.

Event Viewer is my new best friend. I need to get out more...

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.