• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

22.6.0.142 Install and Update BOTH NOT Working

Using Live Update, I have downloaded and installed the Update for Engine Version 22.6.0.142 shortly after its Corrected and Updated Release was posted. It has NOT corrected the issues in my earlier Post Entitled "How To Backup or Copy NS Settings", which is in this Forum.

I have also perform a Clean Install of the Version 22.6.0.142 Executable, which is available for download, and it has the SAME Problems.

The Ongoing and Specific Problem is that the Security History GUI still cannot be resized. On one of my Lab Systems, I took it back to Version 22.5.5.15 and would not let it update automatically. In that version, the Security History GUI CAN Easily Be Resized. Once I saw the posting where the Correction and Update for Engine Version 22.6.0.142 was released, I allowed the Update to be installed. After System Restart, the Security History GUI CANNOT Be Resized. According to Norton Support, it is supposed to be Manually Resizable and is the one GUI that can be resized.

EVERY SYSTEM, Without Exception, can NO LONGER RESIZE the Security History GUI after the Version 22.6.0.142 Full Installation EXE or Update is installed.

WHY is it SO DIFFICULT to change the Code to allow GUIs to be resized?? Why would Symantec PREVENT Users from having the Security History Log resized to where they want it, so they can keep it minimized to the Task Bar, ready for review?? Do they have ANY idea HOW MUCH PAIN it is to use Maximized Windows or GUIs, when having it available for resizing SOLVES Those Problems??

There are even more problems that have been found since the 22.6 Update was installed. It is interfering with the execution of Java Script in Firefox and Internet Explorer Web browsers. For the Record, these are the latest versions of each and for IE, it has all Hotfixes and Security Patches applied. The latest Java JRE is installed.

For about 10 percent of all Web pages, I have to use Refresh more than once to make the Web page correctly appear. When reviewing the Error Logs, it shows where the execution of Java Script has been hampered by the Norton Antivirus.

One anomaly concerns Norton Security itself. I discovered TWO (2) Firewall Rules had DISAPPEARED, as if the User Deleted it. This did not happen at the same time. One was gone and re-entered. Two days later an entirely different Rule was gone. Fortunately, this is a rare and random event. After the Rules were re-entered and saved, they have remained. I still have to check EVERY DAY to make sure no other Rule is gone.

I am also finding it will continue to write the Default Rule to ALLOW All Types of Communication for the executable, even after Custom Rules have been written and applied. Fortunately, it puts that Default Rule at the end, so it is not used. If I delete the Default Rule, it will be written again AUTOMATICALLY within 3 days.

In case anybody is wondering, NONE of my systems has been compromised or is infected by malware. One system is a Lab Test System, which I had returned back to Version 22.5.5.15 and it only accesses the Internet for Verification Testing and Live Update. After it was updated to Version 22.6.0.142, it had problems.

ALL the SAME Problems affect EVERY System that has the 22.6.0.142 Update installed. In Software Programming Terms, this is called REPRODUCIBLE. When you can have different and unique systems ALL exhibit the SAME Problem after installation of the SAME Software, the problems inherent in that software are Reproducible.

Some of the problems, but not all, have affected systems used by my colleagues. For example, one may have Norton's Default Rule to ALLOW All Types of Communication for the executable constantly re-appear. Another colleague will not have the "Default Rule Issue", but will have Custom Firewall Rules disappear at random.

One of my colleagues became so disgusted with Norton Security that he not only uninstalled it, but he went to another Competitor's Antivirus and Security software. Since he makes over $25 MILLION Dollars of Security and Firewall Software Purchasing Recommendations to Fortune 500 Companies, Symantec just lost a LOT of customers. Not only that, he is urging all of my IT Professional Colleagues that will listen to do the same.

I am NOT saying or advocating that anyone should follow his recommendation. I am posting it here to emphasize how one IT Professional reached the limits of his patience with Symantec's software.

I am going to give Symantec one more chance. I have one Multi-PC License for Norton Security that was recently purchased. My current License expires in less than 20 days. I am going to use it on systems in my lab. I have always done the same procedure when installing a New License. I will completely uninstall the Norton Security software, restart the system and check the Registry. Next, I run the latest version of the Norton Cleaner Tool and restart the system again. I will then install the latest available version of Norton Security that can be obtained from download. Once installed, I will activate the License. After that, I run Live Update. IF the Same Problems persist, that will be it for Norton.

I know that I have been MORE than patient in dealing with Norton offerings. They have very good products, but when they fail, they fail in a spectacular fashion.

I am tiring of Symantec software offerings have intermittent failures and the ONLY solution offered is to Uninstall it, Run the Cleaner Tool and then Re-Install the Software. This has been happening now for over 15 years. I have used Norton since it first was offered and lately, the problems are becoming more numerous. There is NO way -- at least that Symantec will disclose -- to back up all the User's Custom Settings and Rules. Do you have any idea how long it takes just to re-enter all those settings??

I have finally reached the proverbial "end of my rope" and the limitations of my patience. After all those years as a Loyal Customer, who also advises Fortune 500 customers, you would think one would get some consideration. You would think that Symantec would VALUE ALL OF THEIR CUSTOMERS and start offering solutions instead of broken software.

Replies

Kudos1 Stats

Re: 22.6.0.142 Install and Update BOTH NOT Working

Hello

When there are intermittent issues with the program, we have a Norton Remove and Reinstall Tool which gives you a fresh install of your Norton product. It is quick to use, but you do have to read the warning paragraph before using it. It preserves most settings. Here is the KB for it so you can  look it over.

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v60392881_EndUserProfile_en_us

www.norton.com/nrnr

I noticed that you can import and export the Security History Logs as a file. Would that feature help you any? Please see this.

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/norton-security-with-backup/22.6.0.142/solutions/v15967289_ns_retail_en_us

This is a User to User Forum. I am trying to help where I can.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.3.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

floplot,

Thank you for your help, but you are proverbially "Preaching To The Choir".

I am IT Pro that is WAY BEYOND what you have suggested. I simply have not put anything about my skill level in a signature, yet it should be readily apparent from my posts. I have already read the KB Article you referenced and dozens more, of which quite a few are bookmarked.

Unfortunately, importing and exporting the Security History Logs does NOT solve the problem. It is also NOT the fix MANY USERS WANT.

THE PROBLEM is that the User cannot Resize the Security History GUI in Version 22.6.0.142, while the User COULD IN ALL PRIOR VERSIONS.

What we need is the ability to Resize the Security History GUI to what we want. It needs to be wider than the Default Setting Norton provides, which does not allow reading of the Log Entry Details. Once the size is set, tt is then minimized to the Task Bar. When the user needs to review what is in the logs -- especially the "Firewall Activities" section that typically has been already selected from the Pull-Down Menu -- the user clicks on Task Bar Holder, which places the PROPERLY SIZED and Positioned GUI back on the Desktop.

By having it sized and positioned to the User's Needs, it allows accessing other items on the desktop or clicking between Background and Foreground Windows (GUIs). If it is Maximized, then the User has to Minimize it to the Task Bar before they can do anything else. This is REALLY ANNOYING when the User has 19 inch or larger HD Monitors.

As for performing a Fresh -- or the Technical Term of "CLEAN" -- install, that is a procedure I know all too well. If you carefully read my post, you will see that was Already Done in the Second Paragraph.

A Clean Installation HAS ALL THE SAME PROBLEMS, which in Software Programming Terms is called "Reproducible".

I know of the Norton Remove and Reinstall Tool. I have the FTP Server Page for the Removal Tools bookmarked. My personal preference is to just use the latest Norton Removal Tool. I uninstall the Norton Product and then restart the system. I use the Registry Editor to check the Registry. If additional clean up is needed or just for good measure, I run the Norton Removal Tool. Then I install or re-install Norton. Most of the time, I completely remove the Norton Product and restart at least once. You cannot get a fresher or cleaner installation then by using that procedure, because it is if Norton was never installed.

I realize my post was getting long, but it was a concise as possible without omitting all relevant details. That being so stated, there was a fair amount that was not included.

Again, I thank you for your time and help.

Kudos0

Hello

Have you tried customer support? I realize you are in IT. This Forum is a user to user Forum. Let's see if any other user can help you. If you try Customer Support, then you would be chatting with Norton Employees instead of users in here. You probably know how to contact Customer Support already also, but here it is just in case...

www.norton.com/chat

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.3.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Hello

The Beta testing for version 22.7 is starting. This may be the place and time you can see and help to test out the new version of the program. You will be in touch then with the Symantec Employee who is going to run the testing program. Don't know if you will have time though since you seem to be busy doing your IT work. Perhaps some of your issues will be fixed in this version. I'm sure you know how it works when you do Beta testing.

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/norton-security-227-public-beta-has-begun-0

Thanks.

Kudos1 Stats

Norton products are generally aimed at home users that want to set and forget their security solution. Yes, there will be some more knowledgeable users of the product. The perusing of the History logs is often a cause of panic in the uninformed or less experienced users, so many of us recommend users not bother with the logs. Norton will warn if there is an infection or a problem that needs to be addressed and then the logs can be consulted.

As you feel the need to resize the window and then minimize it until you want to use it, you could still maximize the window and then minimize it to the task bar. That should show you everything you need. Yes this is a work around and not a solution. But as floplot suggests, you could look into the 22.7 beta and see if this has been already fixed there.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

floplot,

The Very First thing I did was contact Norton Support. How do you think it was verified that the Security History GUI can be Manually Resized?? How do you think I know that Norton Support does not have any method to back up the User's Settings for all the Customizations and Firewall Rules they have in Norton Security Deluxe?? The ONLY Solution they offer is complete Removal and Re-Installation of NS, and SORRY, the User will have manually reconfigure/re-enter ALL of their Customizations and Firewall Rules.

Even after complete Removal and Re-Installation of NS, the Security History GUI cannot be resized. The problem is in the software and only Norton can fix it.

Can you Re-Size your Security History GUI with Version 22.6.0.142 installed??

Norton Support said that they were able to Re-Size the Security History GUI on their systems with Version 22.6.0.142 installed. None of my colleagues, friends or myself are able to Re-Size the Security History GUI of Version 22.6.0.142, irregardless of how it was updated or installed.

Yes, I am Fully Aware that this is a User-to-User Forum. I am also hoping that Norton Support reads this Forum and will do something about all these issues. If Norton Support cannot help, then perhaps some User has the answers. Many times, Users solve problems before Support does. I would REALLY LOVE to hear of any method to Manually Backup the Specific Files that contain all of the User's Settings for the Customizations and Firewall Rules in Norton Security Deluxe.

As you wrote, we can only hope that another user can help.

As for Beta Testing version 22.7, I do not think I will have the time. I will likely look over that Forum and check on comments. If you have the Name of the Norton Employee(s) overseeing the Beta Testing, I would appreciate that info. I will contact them and ask they make sure that Resizing the GUIs, especially the Security History GUI, is working.

Thank You for your time and assistance with these issues.

Kudos0

Can you Re-Size your Security History GUI with Version 22.6.0.142 installed??

Yep

Kudos0

peterweb,

What I write here is intended to be factual and help everyone find a solution. PLEASE do NOT interpret it in any other manner, especially as some kind of criticism.

Your broad hypothesis that Norton products target home users that want a "set it and forget it" security solution is basically correct. Just because the typical Retail Home User may not review their logs and Norton may not want them to do so is NOT A SOLUTION, it is an Excuse. Norton does make Commercial products which mimic the Retail ones BUT THAT IS NOT THE POINT.

THE POINT, as I have already stated in my Original Post and Replies, has Two Main FACTS. First Fact: The Security History GUI could be RESIZED in ALL PRIOR VERSIONS. Second Fact: Norton Support has Repeatedly Verified it is one of the few GUIs that is specifically programmed to allow resizing. IF IT WORKED IN THE PAST, it should work now. Norton has apparently "broke" something in the code with the Version 22.6.0.142 Release. All they have to do is fix it.

The idea of Maximizing the Window as a workaround has already been discussed, When the user has a 19", 24" or larger HD Monitor, do you know HOW ANNOYING it is to use Maximized Windows?? Having a Window or GUI properly sized and positioned on the Desktop is what is needed. It is basic common sense and I know Norton Programmers are not working with puny monitors.

Nothing major usually ever happens when online, but I keep flushing the Security History Logs at points in time where nothing has happened. That prevents the logs from getting so big that they automatically flush, which could have an incident deleted. I also do a cursory review just to check it against my other Intrusion Prevention Software Logs.

You wrote, QUOTING: "Norton will warn if there is an infection or a problem...", END QUOTE. My Response: Do NOT count on it. While Norton is good, it may not be that effective. Norton has repeatedly failed the Nationwide Antivirus Testing. It has had scores BELOW 70 Percent -- Not Good. Even if the AV detection works, skilled hackers have so many exploits that come through External Active Content and other methodologies that can infect before the AV Detection even knows it is there. Why do you think Norton has tools to remove Malware?? If it was 100 percent effective, they would not be necessary.

I do Security Testing and Network Intrusion Testing and it is no problem to get right past it. It is good thing I am the exception rather than the rule. I personally have experienced over a hundred times some part of a Norton product fails and it does not give any type of warning or notice. Sad to say, but it is often after an update or software upgrade. This has happened with both their Retail and Commercial products. Your only choice is to Remove and Re-Install, followed by painstaking hours of manual reconfiguration. If you have backups, you can take a Server or System back to that point in time. We have done that only to watch it fail again after an update.

I run specially programmed Firewalls in addition to NS. It only requires minor tweaking to make them work without a hitch and is surprisingly easy. That is why I use Norton -- the ability to have Exclusions. My other firewalls have caught many things Norton let pass. Norton does get to have the TCP/IP Stack first.

Last item where you can help is with a Backup. I notice your Signature advises backing up one's Identity Safe data. Just how is that accomplished?? I do not see any way to perform such a Backup; however, I am using Norton Security Deluxe, not Norton Premier that has a Backup. I have seen the Premier Product on other systems and it basically wants to backup to Norton's Cloud or do a backup like most Backup Software.

I am wondering if you know the Specific Files that contain ALL of the User's Settings for the Customizations and Firewall Rules in Norton Security Deluxe. I would eternally grateful for that info.

Thank You for your professionalism, time and assistance with these issues.

Kudos0

bjm_,

Thank you for your reply. I have just downloaded a Fresh Copy of the Latest NS Executable and will perform a Clean Install of NS Version 22.6.0.142. Perhaps the saying: "Third times the charm" will apply and the Resizing will be working.

Kudos1 Stats

Last item where you can help is with a Backup. I notice your Signature advises backing up one's Identity Safe data. Just how is that accomplished?? I do not see any way to perform such a Backup; however, I am using Norton Security Deluxe, not Norton Premier that has a Backup. I have seen the Premier Product on other systems and it basically wants to backup to Norton's Cloud or do a backup like most Backup Software.

You can back up your ID Safe vault from within that feature. Click on the 3 dots on the Norton Toolbar in your browser and then click on Open Identity Safe Settings. Log into your vault if it is closed. On the Settings page, click on Import/Export tab, then choose the Export option you wish to use. The .DAT format is encrypted and you can set a password to access the backup file. The CSV format is plain text that you can use to print if needed.

If you use an online vault, you will see the Automatic Backup option. This automatically backs up your vault while you are logged in. You will find the backups in your Documents folder in a folder Norton Identity Safe Backups/your email address.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

peterweb,

Thank you for this info and Kudos. I now see why I did not find it -- because it is online.

I am NOT going to use Cloud Services or Online Storage Services from ANY Provider. It is a personal preference and everyone is different. Use what works for you.

The Next TWO Paragraphs are Info for All Users. I stay protected by having my own Local Hard Drive Backups. It makes it much easier and faster than any other type of Backup. The Physical and Data Security is THE Big Plus. Have you ever stopped to think what would happen if your system crashed, was infected or had any other problem that required Complete System Re-Installation??

What I now write regarding Backups on the "Cloud" MAY not necessarily apply to Norton Products. It would depend on the type and amount of data stored. That Being Stated and with a Crashed System, with your Data or Backups on the "Cloud", you must first Restore the System by another method (i.e. Windows built-in Restoration Partition if a Retail Purchase). Next, you would (typically) install your AV and/or Firewall Software. Follow that by online updating of your AV and/or Firewall Software with the latest updates. After all that work, the next best step is to run Windows Updates to secure your system with the myriad of Security Patches needed for ALL Current OS versions of Windows. The Windows Updates could take DAYS, depending on what is needed by YOUR system. Only after doing all those procedures can you SAFELY access the Internet to reach the Cloud. Of course, if you wanted to skip a few steps, take the RISK and access your Cloud Data, go for it. For me, it is TOO MUCH Work and Pain. I will protect ALL my data, and have faster access, by keeping it Local. System and File Restoration is simple and easier.

Thank you, peterweb, for your time and expertise in your answer.

Kudos0

Something for ALL to consider,

Most Home or Retail Users of Norton Security are likely to not even look at or review the Security Logs. What experts consider to be one of the Best Categories is the "Firewall - Activities" Pull-Down Menu Choice. If not looking at your logs works for you, then that is O.K. Unless you have a fair amount of computer expertise and Networking Skills/Training, then you may not understand what you read. You may even be alarmed, when there is no need to be. If you do not need to read the Logs and will get an expert to help you when you do, then you should be fine.

Unless you write Custom Rules or change the Default Rules NS creates to have Activity Logging, then Logging is typically NOT enabled. That means very few Firewall Activities will be logged. If the user never looks at this log or rarely ever reviews it, the Firewall Activities Log will eventually reach its maximum capacity and be automatically cleared.

Since automatic Log clearing is a Normal function, most Users need not be concerned. There is one scenario that COULD happen and that would leave everyone without answers. It may be rare, but my colleagues and I have actually seen this happen. Say something does happen to your computer while you are online and it is logged. Just as those events happen, the log reaches its maximum size and it automatically clears. If Norton Support were to ask you to Review or Export your Logs, you would have NOTHING. If the events leading up to a failure or serious problem are not in the logs, then no one can say for sure what occurred.

These are just my thoughts written here for all to ponder. What you decide to do about it is up to you.

Kudos0

REPLY TO ALL,

The Results are in. Complete Removal of NS Version 22.6.0.142 by the Norton Removal Tool only left me with a lot of PAIN and work. After removal and restart, NS Version 22.6.0.142 was installed with Norton's Downloaded EXE file offline. Even though not prompted, a system was restart was done. After restart, Internet connection was established and I logged into My Norton Account. The Clean Installation of NS Version 22.6.0.142 was Authenticated. Live Update was run after Authentication and Restart was required.

Even after all that work, the Security History GUI still CANNOT BE RESIZED. Two other colleagues did the same procedure with the Same Results. Now we have all the PAIN that comes from having to Manually Reconfigure Items and Manually Re-Enter ALL of our extensive Specific Firewall Rules.

Norton Support was contacted. They still have no answers. Their only solution was what we had already done: Use the NRT and Re-Install the Latest Version of NS from the Downloadable EXE on their Web site. It was verified (again) that the Security History GUI is SUPPOSED to allow resizing. It works on Support's Computers and some of ours.

It is a mystery and one of the few scenarios we can imagine is that one or more Windows Updates has created a condition on these systems that MAY be the source. It is about all we have left. Norton and Microsoft do have a history of problems arising when certain Microsoft Updates or Microsoft Security Software are installed. Microsoft Security Essentials and Norton Products have well documented conflicts and Windows 10 has a number of issues. There are many articles in Microsoft's KB and Microsoft states to contact Norton for support.

Norton Support does not know if any Microsoft Updates are interfering with their products, as there is nothing that has been currently found. The idea was presented to them. Norton Support is passing along all the info and feedback we gave them and will request their Developers fix this issue in the forthcoming 22.7.x Version. We requested that, if at all possible, they fix it now in Version 22.6.x and release the Update.

We have also requested that Support ask the Developers for a Manual Backup Procedure. We asked if Developers would furnish what Folders, Files or combination thereof, can be copied for a manual backup of the User Data in the Firewall Rules. This is NOT a Security Issue for Norton, because serious and talented hackers will find it OR -- most likely -- already know where it is. We are not going to search for the location(s) because, technically, it borders on a violation of the User Agreement that User will not Reverse Assemble their software. It will be interesting to see what they will do.

I have one last thing to try. I have a system that is going to get a Clean Install of Windows 8.1 from DVD. After running Windows Updates, I will install NS Version 22.6.0.142 from Norton's Downloadable EXE. Once authenticated and updated, the first thing to check is to see if the Security History GUI can be resized. This System Rebuild Procedure is low on my list of priorities, so it will be At Least 3 weeks before I have an answer. Perhaps by that time, Norton will have Version 22.7.x released and the PAIN of Version 22.6.0.142 will be but a memory.

You now know all that my colleagues and I know.

Kudos0

Hello

Are you aware that we have a remove and reinstall Tool which will remove your product and then install a fresh preactivated copy of the latest version.

The Beta 22.7 just started not too long ago. You can post in the Beta Forum and ask if the version will have history logs which can be resized.I doubt that it will be released in 3 weeks time. If you have Norton Security Premium which has the backup part, that can be backed up locally on your external drive if you want it done locally and not in the cloud.

Thanks.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.