• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

360 v20.2.0.19 Freezes Web Browser

After updating to the version 20.2.0.19 of Norton 360 I've had continual issues with my web browser freezing when opening either the Vault or Login Assistant. I've spent many many hours and days on the computer with Norton Support trying to work their magic via Rescue Me. After several unistalls and reinstalls and whatever other things they did, they seemed to have corrected the problem....for a short time. After the web browser issue was seemingly fixed my computer started crashing and coming up with the Blue Screen when trying to run a Diagnostic Report through norton. I contacted norton again and after spending another 3 hours on my computer they said it was a windows issues. So the next step was to contact Toshiba support and let them tamper with my computer from a far away land. They did a bunch of "stuff" and said it was fixed. NOT! It still crashed with blue screen when running Norton Diagnostic Report. The next step was to reset my laptop back to factor settings, erasing all my installed programs, passwords, etc. Today I've spent over 7.5 hours resetting my computer. I again reinstalled Norton 360 and guess what. My web browser froze up again after trying to open the Vault or Login Assistant. SO...I hope this may provide enough information to someone out there to help me respolve this delima before I'm forced to cancel my 10+ years with Symantec and find another source. Thanks.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: 360 v20.2.0.19 Freezes Web Browser

After updating to the version 20.2.0.19 of Norton 360 I've had continual issues with my web browser freezing when opening either the Vault or Login Assistant. I've spent many many hours and days on the computer with Norton Support trying to work their magic via Rescue Me. After several unistalls and reinstalls and whatever other things they did, they seemed to have corrected the problem....for a short time. After the web browser issue was seemingly fixed my computer started crashing and coming up with the Blue Screen when trying to run a Diagnostic Report through norton. I contacted norton again and after spending another 3 hours on my computer they said it was a windows issues. So the next step was to contact Toshiba support and let them tamper with my computer from a far away land. They did a bunch of "stuff" and said it was fixed. NOT! It still crashed with blue screen when running Norton Diagnostic Report. The next step was to reset my laptop back to factor settings, erasing all my installed programs, passwords, etc. Today I've spent over 7.5 hours resetting my computer. I again reinstalled Norton 360 and guess what. My web browser froze up again after trying to open the Vault or Login Assistant. SO...I hope this may provide enough information to someone out there to help me respolve this delima before I'm forced to cancel my 10+ years with Symantec and find another source. Thanks.

Kudos0

It would help if you tell us what operating system and service pack you are using.

Also, what browser and version are you using?

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

I am running Windows 7 and ie8

Kudos0

And what browser and version are you experiencing this with?

Does this happen with a different browser?

Kudos0

I am having the same exact problem with the value and login assistant freezing my Internet up.  I also tried customer service in India which was no help, last thing they did was a total removal and reinstall of N360 20.0.2.19.  I using XP service pack 3,  IE8 only and I have dual homepages Google & Earthlink. There one change I did on my Norton account before this all started  that is I changed my email address that I used in the Norton account which when I logged back into the account the user name was now the new email address it had my most of my account information except all my login were missing from the vault and the system freezing problem started. Another thing I have tried is trying to use the vault while I am not logged either my Google account and/or the Earthlink account, but still freezes up my Internet.  Also the moment I close the Vault through N360 Indentity tab (not since the the toolbar is also freezing) the the Internet stops freezing. I hope this information help to find out why this happening to use.

Kudos0

Same pattern of browsers freezing here with Norton 360 2012 fully updated BEOREcreating the Online Vault. Both Firefox 17 and IE 10 lock up whenever the Vault is opened. If it is closed, the browsers each function normally.

My OS is Windows 8 Pro CLEAN install and updated prior to installing Norton 360.

I conclude that the Online Vault continues to be seriously flawed and nonfunctional.

I am reverting to Windows 7 Pro with NIS 2012 and Local Vault option.

John E. Windows 10 Pro x64 Build 14393.321 on Lenovo ThinkPad E535 & HP Pavilion 6610F
Kudos0

MarcotteMW

Are you using the Comcast version of Norton Security Suite? If so, did you mention that when you called Norton support?

You should try one more uninstall and reinstall using the Norton Removal Tool.

If you use Identity Safe, backup the data before reinstall.

You need to use the appropriate Norton Removal Tool for the ISP supplied version from  www.norton.com/nrt

Then you need to download the NSS from the Comcast site. I understand there is a Constant Guard feature that you should refuse, then you can get the download. Yank can confirm this as he is knowlegable on the Comcast offering.

Be sure to run LiveUpdate manually a few times, rebooting as necessary, until no updates are available

Kudos0

Looking at other posting after and before this posting, the vault freezing looks to be happening to people using different browser (Firefox & Chrome) and to people using the Comcast version of the latest version of N360 and Non-Comcast version. I think this looking to be an issue Symantec will have to fix on  their end.

Kudos0

spiderknight wrote:

Looking at other posting after and before this posting, the vault freezing looks to be happening to people using different browser (Firefox & Chrome) and to people using the Comcast version of the latest version of N360 and Non-Comcast version. I think this looking to be an issue Symantec will have to fix on  their end.

There was another update to the Toolbar to fix issues.

Be sure to run LiveUpdate manually a few times, rebooting as necessary, until no updates are available.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.