• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

after 3035,6, fresh reinstall, NRnR window keeps popping up

Mornin'

On 7/16 I got a 3035,6 for some reason. NS 22.7.0.76 on Windows 7, SP1.  Used the NRnR tool.  It said it could not reinstall.  It said to use NPE.  Found a file for PCPitstop which I didn't need to remove but I let it remove it. Still could not reinstall.  It said to NRnR and use Remove completely.  So I removed NS completely and did a reinstall from my account.  Did Live Update. All is working perfectly.  It's updating OK and I haven't gotten any errors.  But the next day when I started my computer the NRnR window popped up.  So I deleted both NRnR and NPE from my download file.  But this window is still popping up.

How do I get rid of this window from popping up?

Thanks.

Replies

Kudos2 Stats

Re: after 3035,6, fresh reinstall, NRnR window keeps popping up

Had a client with the same experience as yours just yesterday. Investigation revealed that the NRnR window is being loaded by a "Start when Windows starts" entry in the Task Scheduler. In Win 7 use the Start button and search on "Task Scheduler" without the quotes. Open the Task Scheduler and on the Left click on the words "Task Scheduler Library". One of the entries found there should refer to Norton Remove and Reinstall and if you RIGHT-click that entry, I believe you can safely delete it.

I used the Microsoft Program "Autoruns" to accomplish the same. If you are acquainted with that program (and know how dangerous it can be if you do not know what you are doing), then feel free to use it to delete (or, if you wish to be on the safe side, then just uncheck it).

It would be a good idea to open the Norton program interface, go to Help, and click "Get Support". This runs a quick check of your installation. Hopefully it will not produce another 3035,6 error. If it does then something is clearly not right.

Regards, Duane White

Kudos0

Hi Duane,

Thanks for you reply.  In Task Scheduler, Task Scheduler Library, the NRnR was listed on the right but under the "next run" column, it was blank. Only the 7/16 last run was there, which is when I ran it. However, under the Task Scheduler folder, there was a folder for NRnR. Under that was the same entry as I just described. I deleted that entry. Then I deleted the NRnR Folder. And restarted the computer.

But now. The NRnR window no longer pops up when restarting the computer. There is I’ll call it an error sound/tone, nothing appears, just the sound/tone. I restarted 3 times and when the NS icon appears, shortly thereafter is the error sound. It makes the sound, pauses, then again, three times.

I was doing to do a system restore being that didn’t completely solve the problem, but the last date is 7/18 when I installed two critical updates. Windows 7 system restore is awful.

I know of Autoruns but have never used it so I think I will pass on that. Get Support found no issues.

Now. How do I stop the error sound/tone?

Kudos1 Stats

I don't know what is causing your sound (can't say I ever recall Norton products using sound warnings). Coincidence is a curious thing but certainly is no stranger to anyone who does serious work on computers. Some things you could check for the cause of the warning sound:

Click the Start button, then type "Device Manager" in the search box. Click on the found "Device Manager" to open it.
Are there any red or yellow splats on any of the hardware items listed in the device manager? If so, what?

If there are no problems in the Device Manager, close it and then restart the system. As soon as the system becomes useable, RIGHT-click the Norton Security icon in the notification area and choose "View Recent History". Are there any entry logged there that indicates some problem with Norton?

Also have a look at the Event Viewer. Suggest you write down the time on the system clock, then restart the system and wait for it to fully stabilize. (This is because the Event Viewer creates many, many entries in a short time especially when the system starts -- knowing what time you started should help you not go back further than you need looking for an informative entry as to what is generating the error sound.) Click Start, type "Event" in the start menu search box; should bring up "Event Viewer" as a found result, click on "Event Viewer". In the Event Viewer, on the left side of the Even Viewer window click on the arrow to the left of Windows Logs to expand the "Logs" to show among others the "Application" log and the "System" log.

Start with the Application log -- scroll slowly down through it looking for red (error) or yellow (warning) splats. If any exist, they might give a clue as to the sound you are getting. If the Application log is no help, then try the System log. Do realize that analyzing Event Viewer logs is getting a great deal more "technical" than most users want.

Good-luck, Duane White

Kudos0

Hi Duane,

The Device Manager has no red or yellow splats. I looked under every one.

NS Recent History is showing two entries of Norton Error Reporting Submissions at 12:18 p.m. shortly before a Quick Scan at 12:31 p.m. but those have been showing up for awhile, even before the fresh reinstall. One has 4 error files Process ID 0x784, Module NCW; and the other has 6 error files Process ID 0x774 Module NCW. I just did the restart as you suggested at 4:32 pm. which does not show these errors.

I did look through Event Viewer/Windows Logs/Applicaton but there were no errors for Norton. It only showed NS started. There were a couple reds and yellows for a couple other events under Windows Logs/Application, but those were there before I used the NRnR tool.

Looking back through 7/16, under Event Viewer/Windows Logs/System for 7/19 there is a red Error SChannel "The following fatal error was received: 20, event ID 36887" but clicking Event Log Online only takes me to Microsoft home page. Duh. There are a few yellow for Wininit, having to do with dynamic link libraries. On 7/16 at 3:04pm (I reinstalled at 3:10pm and used the Removal Tool at 2:51pm) there is a yellow warning: DNS Client Events 1014, name resolution for the name cloudconnect2.norton.com times out after none of the configuated DNS servers responded. On 7/16 1:33 pm, 1:57pm, and 2:20 pm, there is a red Error Service Control Manager, Event ID 7030, "The NPEService service is marked as an interactive service. However, the system is configured to not allow interactive service. This service may not function properly." (Norton Power Eraser I used at 1:32 pm which sent error report of error logs).

Today I tried a system restore to 7/18 which was the first date listed when I did Windows Update (manually). The sound is still there. The NRnR window is popping up, of course, with the system restore. (I used NRnR 7/16)

I opened Task Scheduler. Clicked "Task Scheduler Library". On the right there is no entry for Norton Remove and Reinstall.

If I click the arrow next to "Task Scheduler Library", there is a folder "Norton Remove and Reinstall". When I click that folder, on the right it says Status running, Triggers at log on of Judy, Next Run column is blank, Last Run Time is 7/20/16 3:45 pm (which is the restart after the system restore and the NRnR window pops up), Last Run Result has, The task is currently running (Ox41301).

It seems to be when I deleted that entry and the folder, that is when this sound started. Do I have to Run the NRnR tool to get rid of its window? NS is running just fine though after the Removal and fresh reinstall.

Sorry this is so long. What a mess. Thanks for your help.

Edit P.S. Ya know what.  I just happened to think.  It started making that sound while I was using NRnR. 

Kudos0

I would not suggest running NRnR again as something it did seems to be the cause of your error sounds. FWIW when I want to remove Norton, I first run the official uninstall program telling it to remove everything then I download and run the "Norton Removal Program" sometimes even twice (BTW if you use the Norton Identify Safe, then you should make a backup of it before any of the above). I then use my Norton account to reinstall the Norton program.

You said that you ran the Norton Power Eraser -- do you recall if it found something that you allowed it to remove?

I suggest you do download Microsoft's "Autoruns" as it is a very useful program:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

Download and install Autoruns and then run it for the first time just to see what it looks like/does. It shows virtually everything that loads when Windows starts. When you want to use it to actually make a change, then you have to click "Run as Administrator" to give it the necessary permission to make changes. Running Autoruns as an administrator click on the Task Scheduler tab, see if NRandR is listed and if so, then uncheck the box. One of the reasons Autoruns is such a useful diagnostic tool is that for test purposes you can stop stuff from starting without actually removing the registry entry.

Using Autoruns do a search on Norton and see if it turns up any other listings for NRnR or for NPE. If found uncheck same then reboot to see if the noise is gone. You, of course, do not want to uncheck any of the Norton Security startup boxes.

If Autoruns gets us nowhere, then for an unknown error sound, I would probably use MSCONFIG to begin stopping Startup programs and then non-Microsoft services when the intention of using trial and error to identify "what" process or application is causing the sound. We can get into the details of how to do this later; for now please do try Autoruns.

Good-luck, Duane White

Kudos0

One thing comes to mind. Are you using a Windows admin account when you restarted the computer during the NRNR process? Using a Standard account when you sign back in can leave entries like you describe.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Hmmm.  I only have an Admin account so I assume I am always starting in and am always in the Admin account.  Not good, I know. But.....  I haven't not had to right-click, open as Administrator for anything that I can remember.

Kudos0

OK, will not run NRnR again. I do not know what FWIW means. No I don’t use the Identity Safe.

I was following NS instructions on my screen for the 3035,6 error was how I ended up using NPE because it told me to. Otherwise I probably would not use it. The NRnR said it could not reinstall NS that a common reason was infection, which I knew I was not infected, (I use Malwarebytes free) but I followed instructions any how. It said to use Norton Power Eraser which I then downloaded and also let it run root kit scan. Restarted computer as it said. It found RISK: pcpconncheck.dll - browser plugin. If pcp meant PCPitstop(.com), I use PCPitstop’s test to check internet speed at times. I knew that file was OK but I did let NPE remove it.

I used the Autoruns (that’s why I read/heard about it-Sysinternals. I had to use this on my other computer. I have not had to do anything "technical" and this computer yet since 2010. Lucky.). I unchecked: "Norton Remove and Reinstall\Norton Removed and Reinstall" by Symantec. I searched under Norton but neither tool was listed there. I restarted my computer. The NRnR window does not popup now. Thank goodness.   But it still makes the sound.  One down, one to go.

Thank you much.

Kudos0

Don't know if this will help with the new sounds you are hearing, but a patch has been released that addresses your original 3035,6 error. Run LiveUpdate and you will have to restart your computer to have it take affect.

Kudos0

Hi peterweb,

Thank you for your reply.  Live Update ran around noon and applied that patch.  Came here to see what it was for.  I wish it would have updated before 7/16.  That's when I got the error.  I wouldn't be fooling with all this.  It didn't fix the sound I'm hearing though.  It's a kind of dah dah dah, then a pause for about 10 seconds or so, and does that three times, whenever the computer starts only.  Got rid of the NRnR popup window using Autoruns per Duane, but not the sound.  Thanks again.

Kudos0

Try running NPE again and reversing the changes made earlier. The error sounds could be related to the removal of the PCPitstop file that was removed. It could be the rest of PC Pitstop is trying to run and cannot find one of its files.

Kudos0

I ran NPE again.  There was no box to check next to the remove.  It wasn't listed to reverse it either.  Just an entry from January.  Evidently I didn't remove it like I thought.  The file was for the ping test, not speed test.  I even went to PC Pitstop and ran the ping test.  pcpconncheck.dll is a browser plugin and it's there.  I restarted the computer and the sound is still here.

In my Edited PS above I seem to remember that I heard this sound while the NRnR tool was running.

Kudos0

The sounds like you describe can be related to some kind of malware or PUP (Possibly Unwanted Program) that may have gotten on your system.

I would suggest you sign up at one of the free Malware Removal sites below. Do not try to do anything on your own as it could make things harder for the Malware Removal expert at that site to help you. Choose one and stay there until your system is clean.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/
http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/
http://forums.whatthetech.com/
http://qmalwareremoval.freeforums.net/

Kudos0

PCPitstop? That company offers the following downloads:

Then, I did the following tests:

• Tried to get the said programs using Chrome (Version 51.0.2704.103 m)... and got "Security errors" from Chrome

(PC Magnum was blocked)

(PC Pitstop Optimize3)

(PC Pitstop Driver Alert2)

(PC Pitstop DiskMD 3)

• My NS did not flag nor remove anything regarding PCPitstop installationS at the time of commenting - "(Yr NS) Found a file for PCPitstop which I didn't need to remove but I let it remove it."

• I thoroughly searched the said pcpconncheck.dll on the local VM, and had no luck with that attempt.

(Source: PC Pitstop Utilities FAQ)

(If I may ask, what exact PC Pitstop product are you using? What is the version number?)

pcpconncheck.dll is a browser plugin

I found nothing around that.  - I detected the install of PCMatic AdBlocker instead:

All in all, you can consider uninstalling the said PC Pitstop app completely. And Windows Control Panel should be able to take care of the uninstall process. Give Revo a go if you have any trouble clearing out those remaining items. The following vid can also walk you through the manual uninstall process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvQ86DL4GIc

PUP Hunter PRO: Just TRYING to save the world (U) from cyber threats, A single blog post, at a time, and ONCE & FOR ALL. (A fan of Nadia_Kovacs)
Accepted Solution
Kudos2 Stats

FWIW = For what it's worth

Please verify that you are getting "alert sounds" (rather than a BIOS type beep) -after- you have logged into Windows.

If you have the Windows generated standard volume control icon, then RIGHT-click it and click on "Sounds". Play the sounds that are marked with a speaker icon so as to identify what the particular sound you are hearing is supposed to mean.

In this message thread (http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/137876-warning-sounds-after-start-up-2.html?s=015a64901379da3096cb788e6c328eee) posted to the sevenforums.com site, I find the following information regarding someone getting a pattern of three alert sounds at Startup (below extract from message posted 23 Jan 2011) by the person having the repeating "Device failed to connect sound":

(Quote)  In Device Manager under Portable Devices five items have exclamation marks. I uninstalled, Scanned for Hardware Changes, updated and all is now well...
About three weeks ago I used The Norton Removal Tool - that looks like the culprit. (End Quote)

So it would seem this result of using NRnR is not new. I would urge you to check your Device Manager again particularly if the sound you are getting represents "Device failed to connect".

Another forum member suggested removing the PCPitstop software -- sounds an excellent idea to me. You can always reinstall it later if you so wish.

Regards, Duane White

Kudos0

Hi Duane,

OMG!! It worked!!!! You are genius!!!! Thank you!!!!

BIOS beep. That’s way to techy for me.

I found the sound: Device failed to Connect.

I am sooo sorry. Device Manager does have 4 yellow ! under Portable Devices:

F:\ G:\ H:\ and I:\ I can hardly see them (or they weren’t there when I checked them before when you told me to). I have no idea what these drives are. I clicked your link. I didn’t even know that forum existed. Put that in my Favorites.

I uninstalled each one. Now the "Portable Devices" is not listed. Scanned for Hardware Change and nothing happened. Restarted my computer. It put back Portable Devices, F,G,H,I and now J: appears which turns out to be my printer (but then it wasn’t on before). It scared me at first. After I logged on the screen went totally black with just the task bar. Then slowly the desktop began to appear. That sound is gone!!!!!!!!!!!!! I restarted a second time just to make sure and everything seems normal. No more sound! Wow. I scanned Update Driver Software and all were best driver already installed.

Bless your little heart. Thank you so much. How do I find you the next time I have a computer issue? Do you have your own website? You should.    Thank you again.  I really appreciate your time.

Kudos0

Hi peterweb,

PUP? No, I don’t think so. I use Malwarebytes. More trust in that than anything else and it finds nothing. You mean like a while back when NIS was wanting MBAM uninstalled and we had to put 3 or 4 of MBAM files under Exclusions in NIS so it wouldn’t keep finding MBAM as "bad"? Or whatever that full deal was. Remember that.

I did not mention when I used NPE this second time as you suggested, it found my password manager, very reliable and powerful, that I have been using since 2007 on this and my other computer, with 160+ passwords, as well as a whole lot of other info, and wanted to remove it with the check mark already in front of remove. It didn’t show up though the first time I used NPE. Isn’t that strange.

I tried Bleeping Computer once before awhile back and never got any answers. I use Landzdown(dot)com if I need that type of forum. There are quite a few of the Castlecops and MVPs there. Or Spywarehammer(dot)com as some of the old Ad-Aware (Antispyware) people, before they closed that original forum.

Thanks for your suggestion. Duanne’s last replied fixed it. No more sound. So it does appear as though the NRnR tool "was the culpit".

Kudos0

Hi 2075065,

Thanks for your reply.

I didn’t say NS flagged/removed it. It was Norton Power Eraser that removed it.

I didn’t downloaded anything from PCPitstop. A few years back I tried to do the full system test on this Windows 7 64-bit IE11 computer but it only works on 32-bit, per their forum at that time. (Of course it worked on my other 32-bit computer XP with IE6 or whatever lower version it was). Here’s the link that shows what pcpconncheck.dll plug-in is. You’ll see under Name, ICC Class, which is what is showing in my browser....or was til NPE removed it. Cause it’s gone now. I only use their tests online, individually if needed, not the full system scan. And I have never gotten any kind of a warning going to PCPitstop.

http://www.pcpitstop.com/faq/utilities.asp

Kudos0

JEric

Glad Duane was able to steer you in the right direction, and all is well again.

Kudos0

You are most welcome the help.

I have 23-years experience repairing computer hardware and software problems (in the past mostly at the client's home) and have not needed to advertise my one-man business since circa 2000 or so. That said I'm working at retiring as I'm not getting any younger. <grin>

Many desktop systems have 4 card-slots on them which typically end up getting assigned drive letters such as F through I. Something (possibly NRnR) messed up their setup and removing and reinstalling via device manager fixed it.

Good-luck, Duane White

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.