• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos1 Stats

Bug in Norton Safe Web v2.3.0.24 for Firefox - Grey Icon on Landing Page

There appears to be a bug in the new Norton Safe Web v2.3.0.24 extension for Firefox. 

Every time I launch Firefox, Norton Safe Web is unable to retrieve the site rating for the original landing page - i.e., the site rating icon is a grey question mark.  Every time I open my browser the site rating for my home page (https://www.google.ca/) is displayed as a grey question mark, but the icon turns to a green check mark after I refresh the page.  I use FF ESR v52.5 but SGFC has reported the same issue with FF v57.0 in the thread Norton Security Toolbar as Legacy Extension in Firefox.

It's not just my home page that's an issue.  If I click on the hyperlink in an e-mail notification to view the latest reply in a thread I'm following in the bleepingcomputer forum, for example, and it launches a new instance of Firefox I see a grey icon:

...but I see the green icon if I paste the identical URL (https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/648063/security-updates-for-vista-after-end-of-support-windows-server-2008-patches/page-6#entry4384079) in a new tab:

---------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.5.0 * NS Premium v22.11.2.7 * MB Premium v3.3.1

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Bug in Norton Safe Web v2.3.0.24 for Firefox - Grey Icon on Landing Page

I have the same issues as Imacri except for the forum email part. But I guess if I used a forum other than this one I might have the same issue.

It's not just the homepage but various other pages cause the same behavior. A refresh is needed to see the Safe Web icon change from a grey question mark. I think Safe Web isn't correctly identifying the current URL or page and by default provides a grey check mark as a "I don't know" response to the page.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Norton Security v.22.17.x
Kudos0

It looks like it isn't just the Norton Safe Web icon that shows a question mark.  I have an extension in FF and Chrome called IPvFoo which shows which sites are IPv4 and which are IPv6.  It also starts with a question mark until the page is refreshed.

It does make me wonder about whether the first page / Home page is scanned by Norton Safe Web when FF first loads.

By the way, I had a (potentially) malicious download blocked by Norton Safe Web yesterday on a machine running Windows Defender.

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Kudos0

If a homepage was hijacked and you opened up your browser shouldn't Safe Web take care of that. Or would Safe Web assume it's the user's homepage and do nothing e.g. grey check mark.

There have been other problems too. On YouTube if you go to a video watch page Safe Web says https://youtube.com but you're actually on e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rCNMTR-5_g I know Safe Web can't test every single page but it shouldn't say "Safe" or green and use the main URL for a site.

Kudos0

Hello All

On sites like YouTube.com, the main domain is already evaluated. What needs to be done is to have each song or each poster submit his subdomain to be registered and evaluated. With a site like YouTube, I don't know if that can be done. I will bring this up with the Safe Web Team.

Have a Good Night and

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.2.47 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Krusty13:

It does make me wonder about whether the first page / Home page is scanned by Norton Safe Web when FF first loads.

Further to Krusty13's comment, here's an image showing Norton Safe Web v2.3.0.24 for Firefox displaying a question mark/grey icon when I launch Firefox and land on my home page - the main Google Canada search page at https://www.google.ca/.  The icon changes to a check mark / green icon when I refresh the page (or open a new tab and click my browser's Home Page icon to browse to https://www.google.ca/) so Norton Safe Web must know this site has a safe rating.

---------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.5.0 * NS Premium v22.11.2.7 * MB Premium v3.3.1

Kudos1 Stats

Kudos0

I guess in the case of YouTube if you click a URL in a video comment Safe Web should block the page if it's dangerous.

Safe Web does the same thing with Facebook. It just goes by Facebook's main address and doesn't test pages (not profiles). So maybe it is working the way it's supposed to.

Even with the reputation icons missing (I prefer Google) I guess you have to click it first and find out if it's dangerous.

Kudos0

Hello

I'm still waiting for a response from the Norton Safe Web Team about this issue .

Have a Good Night and

Thanks.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.2.47 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos1 Stats

The Safe Web box has a green check mark (so it's safe right?) But when you click on it, it says Untested O_o

Screenshot;

Kudos0

Anything on this yet?

Kudos1 Stats

Hi everyone,

We have reported this issue to concern team and will update once we have more information. Thanks. 

Sunil_GA | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

This looks to be resolved with the latest Safe Web release, at least on my machines.

https://community.norton.com/en/comment/7747091#comment-7747091

Version 2.4.0.11 Released Dec. 12, 2017 1.7 MiB Works with Firefox for Android 48.0 and later, Firefox 48.0 and later

Enhanced phishing protection

Kudos0

It's not fixed here.

Kudos0

This looks to be resolved with the latest Safe Web release, at least on my machines.

Version 2.4.0.11 (link is external) Released Dec. 12, 2017 1.7 MiB Works with Firefox for Android 48.0 and later, Firefox 48.0 and later

Enhanced phishing protection

I've got my version 2.4.0.11 on December 13.

Cheers.

Kudos0

Krusty13:

https://community.norton.com/en/comment/7747091#comment-774709

I updated to Norton Safe Web for Firefox v2.4.0.11 on 13-Dec-2017 and it has not fixed the bug described in my original post of this thread.

It looks like the problem with the blank flyout that Sunil_GA was able to replicate <here> in mesquitebean's thread Blank Norton Safe Web UI in Firefox Browser only occurred when they used Firefox in Private Browsing mode.
---------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.5.2 * NS Premium v22.11.2.7 * MB Premium v3.3.1

Kudos0

...only occurred when they used Firefox in Private Browsing mode.

Makes sense to me. It also probably explains why I never had this problem.

Kudos0

This issue here: https://community.norton.com/en/comment/7731921#comment-7731921

seems to be gone but! when you click on "Full Safe Web report" it takes you to a report page but it seems to be reporting on mozilla(dot)org not the actual link or page. The actual link contains several links to downloads which shouldn't be under one umbrella just because Mozilla's main page doesn't contain threats or risks.

As for the homepage that still doesn't work right.

Kudos0

The Norton Safe Web icon turns green on my FF 57.0.2 when the home page loads, but not on Cyberfox which is based on FF 52.x ESR.

Kudos0

Krusty13:

The Norton Safe Web icon turns green on my FF 57.0.2 when the home page loads,

Not on my end.

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Firefox 57.0.2

Norton Safe Web 2.4.0.11

Kudos0

Here's another example of Safe Web not working correctly.

Firefox 57.0.2 32-bit

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit (up to date)

Norton Safe Web 2.5.0.3

Screenshot;

Kudos0

Krusty13:

Krusty13:
The Norton Safe Web icon turns green on my FF 57.0.2 when the home page loads, but not on Cyberfox which is based on FF 52.x ESR.

The Norton SafeWeb icon is no longer green on my Firefox homepage on first start of Firefox.  It looks like Symantec fixed it until it broke.  

Kudos0

Any update on this? Or does Norton just assume the homepage is safe even though a website could become compromised at some point.

Kudos0

Hi @lmacri & @SGFC,

Could you please let us know if you still see "Norton Safe Web rating for Firefox - Grey Icon on Landing Page" issue with latest Norton Safe Web extension installed? 

Kudos0

Hi Sunil_GA:

Norton Safe Web v2.6.1.8 has not solved the problem.  I still see a grey icon (no ratings available) on the landing page each time I launch my Firefox ESR browser.

Please note that Norton Safe Web v2.6.1.8 fixed the unresponsive Javascript errors I showed in iraisok's thread Norton Safe Web Script Slowing Firefox 57.0.2 64 bit but my Firefox ESR browser would still slow to a crawl on some web pages with v2.6.1.8 so I only enable this extension now for testing purposes. The redesigned Norton Safe Web is of little use to me since the site ratings icons were removed from my Google search results and I'll likely remove it once I've finished testing possible replacements like BitDefender TrafficLight.
---------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.6.0 * NS Premium v22.12.0.104 * NSW v2.6.1.8

Kudos0

I still have the same problem with Firefox 58.0.2 and NSW 2.6.1.8

Kudos0

Kudos0

Hi @lmacri, @SGFC & @Krusty13,

Please try below steps and let us know the issue status. I tested with latest version of Norton Safe Web both on ESR and regular channels. I'm not able to reproduce this issue anymore. 

- Uninstall Norton Safe Web extension

- Set Firefox home page, Google.com

- Install Norton Safe Web with latest version

- Restart Firefox browser and check the Safe Web status. 

Kudos0

I still get the same result.

Kudos0

Thanks for the update. I will check with team and update. 

Kudos0

Hi Sunil_GA:

No change.  I followed your instructions <here> (with a re-start of of my browser between each step) and I can confirm the problem still occurred after Norton Safe Web v2.6.1.8 was reinstalled.  Please note that changing my home page to https://www.google.com/ automatically redirects my browser to their Canadian site at https://www.google.ca/ since I live in Canada.  Krusty13, SGFC and I all live outside the USA so I wonder if this issue is due to a timeout error with the backend Safe Web server while our Firefox browsers are loading?

From today's test when I first launch my Firefox ESR browser (grey icon, site unrated):

...versus when I open a new tab and hit my Home button (green icon, site rated):

---------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.6.0 * NS Premium v22.12.0.104 * NSW v2.6.1.8

Kudos0

My home page is not Google.  I like the pictures on Bing so I set Bing as my home page.

Kudos0

Today I switched to Firefox 59.0 64-bit English U.S. (the only change was going to 64-bit). Now my homepage google(dot)ca shows a green check mark in Safe Web. So maybe it's just 32 bit Firefox?

EDIT - That's a big nope. I know what the cause is now. I only had Norton Safe Web 2.6.1.8 installed under extensions. As soon as I installed Adblock Plus the check mark in Safe Web went back to grey. So it's caused by Adblock Plus.

Kudos0

Is there anyway to fix this without removing AdBlock Plus? I tried changing the settings of ABP with no luck. I think this conflict affects more than just the home page. There are a few popular websites that show an untested result.
Kudos0

SGFC:
Is there anyway to fix this without removing AdBlock Plus? I tried changing the settings of ABP with no luck. I think this conflict affects more than just the home page. There are a few popular websites that show an untested result.

Hi SGFC:

The latest Norton Safe Web v2.7.0.110 seems to be working much better with my 32-bit Firefox ESR v52.7.2 browser, although there still appears to be some race condition or slow / unresponsive javascript like the one I reported with the old NSW v2.6.0.5 in iraisok's thread Norton Safe Web Script Slowing FireFox 57.0.2 64 bit that's still causing glitches.

With the combination of NSW v2.7.0.110, Adblock Plus v3.0.2 and Save Page WE 9.3 there is always long delay of ~ 15 sec where the NSW icon is grey and the Save Page WE icon is faded:

...but in most cases all icons will render normally after about 15 sec:

However, if I enable Mozilla Archive Format (MAFF) v4.1.4 this add-on will consistently cause NSW to display as a grey question mark when my FF ESR browser is launched, even if I wait a few minutes.  Mozilla Archive Format is similar to Save Page WE (MAFF saves web pages as single .mht/.mhtml; Save Page WE as single .html) but is not built with the WebExtensions API (i.e., Help | Troubleshooting Information | Multiprocess Windows will change to Disabled by add-ons if MAFF is enabled) so I assume that might be part of the problem.

With NSW and Mozilla Archive Format only (no ABP or Save Page WE):

---------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * 32-bit Firefox ESR v52.7.2 * NS v22.12.1.15 * NSW v2.7.0.110

Kudos0

...and further to my previous post, I should add that I only enable Norton Safe Web for testing these days.

I'm currently using Bitdefender TrafficLight v2.0.1 as a replacement, and unlike NSW, the safety rating icon always works correctly when I launch my FF ESR browser, even if my Mozilla Archive Format add-on is enabled and multiprocessing is disabled.  TrafficLight also displays site rating icons in my Google search results, which is an important feature for me.

---------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * 32-bit Firefox ESR v52.7.2 * Bitdefender TrafficLight v2.0.1

Kudos0

I don't really need the rating icons because usually if the page is bad either Mozilla or Norton blocks it. But it'd be nice if Safe Web worked correctly. I'm going to try and keep a record of sites that show as untested even though I think something between ABP and NSW is causing the issue. One other thing if I open Inspect Element to block a URL with ABP it sometimes says ABP is causing the page or browser to slow down (not sure the exact warning). So this might be ABP's problem entirely.

Kudos0

SGFC:

...I'm going to try and keep a record of sites that show as untested even though I think something between ABP and NSW is causing the issue...

Hi SGFC:

From the support article Norton Safe Web:

Untested (gray question mark [?] icon next to search results or in Norton toolbar):
Norton Safe Web does not have enough data to analyze the site; it is recommended that you do not visit this site.

There are several sites that meet the criteria of "untested" for NSW.  I would only be concerned if you refresh the page and the icon changes to another colour like green (safe) or red (unsafe) like the bug we're discussing in this thread.

I think something between ABP and NSW is causing the issue. One other thing if I open Inspect Element to block a URL with ABP it sometimes says ABP is causing the page or browser to slow down (not sure the exact warning). So this might be ABP's problem entirely.

Disable your Adblock Plus (ABP) extension, restart your browser, and see if you still see a grey (untested) icon.  In my case, ABP delays the appearance of the green icon, but Mozilla Archive Format (MAF) completely blocks it.

For example, If I test my home page (google.ca) when my Firefox ESR browser is first opened using the current Norton Safe Web v2.7.0.110 and include a few browser restarts between each test to ensure results are reproducible:

NSW only (all other extensions disabled):

NSW + Adblock Plus v3.0.2 only (but there is a 5 to 15 sec delay before NSW changes from grey to green):

NSW + Mozilla Archive Format v4.1.4 only:

---------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * 32-bit Firefox ESR v52.7.2 * NS v22.12.1.15 * NSW v2.7.0.110

Kudos0

lmacri:

Disable your Adblock Plus (ABP) extension, restart your browser, and see if you still see a grey (untested) icon.  In my case, ABP delays the appearance of the green icon, but Mozilla Archive Format (MAF) completely blocks it.

For example, If I test my home page (google.ca) when my Firefox ESR browser is first opened using the current Norton Safe Web v2.7.0.110 and include a few browser restarts between each test to ensure results are reproducible:

I've already done that and as soon as I enable ABP it turns to grey. As soon as I disable ABP it turns to green no delay (works as expected). But since other extensions cause the same thing wouldn't that mean it's NSW because ABP isn't causing MAF to cause NSW to not work.

Kudos0

SGFC:
...I tried changing the settings of ABP with no luck...

Hi SGFC:

The attached PDF shows most of my General and Advanced settings for Adblock Plus v3.0.2 for Firefox.  With these settings there's about a 5 or 10 sec delay before my Norton Safe Web icon turns to green (safe) on my google.ca home page when I first launch Firefox ESR.

But since other extensions cause the same thing wouldn't that mean it's NSW because ABP isn't causing MAF to cause NSW to not work.

Yes, that's what my own limited testing seems to show.  As I noted <here>, my best guess is that any browser extension that causes a brief delay in the loading of the landing page will cause the NSW JavaScript to become unresponsive and prevent NSW from "calling home" to the Safe Web servers to check the current status of the web site, resulting in the default grey (untested) rating.  I don't think there's any one particular browser extension (or extension configuration) that creates this race condition with NSW - some just have a greater impact than others.
---------------

Kudos0

I have the same settings for ABP except under advanced I have "Show 'Adblock Plus' panel in developer tools" check marked too.

Back to waiting for Symantec to fix this I guess.

Kudos0

SGFC:

... Back to waiting for Symantec to fix this I guess.

Hi SGFC:

I don't use the Norton Identity Safe password manager but I've been monitoring recent comments in tns's thread Norton Identity Safe Script Excessive Time on Firefox and it appears other Firefox browser extensions developed with the new WebExtensions API are experiencing similar issues.  You could be in for a long wait.
---------------

Kudos0

I have four extensions installed Adblock Plus, Norton Safe Web, Greasemonkey and Country Flags & IP Whois. Only ABP and NSW have issues. I've had the same message that tns had but with ABP. If I open Inspect Element, click on the ABP tab and try to block something it freezes Firefox. I have to close Firefox and open it again for it to go away. After reading that other thread I'll guess it's a Firefox issue then.

Kudos0

Test results for the latest Norton Safe Web v2.7.1.3 for Firefox (released 29-Mar-2018) are identical to what I reported <here> for the previous v2.7.0.110.  I still see a grey / untested site rating for my home page (Google) when Firefox ESR is originally launched if my Mozilla Archive Format extension is enabled.

NSW v2.7.1.3 + Mozilla Archive Format v4.1.4 only (i.e., no other extensions enabled):   

Bitdefender TrafficLight v2.0.1 + Mozilla Archive Format v4.1.4 only:

---------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * 32-bit Firefox ESR v52.7.3 * Norton Safe Web for FF v2.7.1.3

Kudos0

No change here. But for the most part it works. Unless something hijacks my homepage or I visit a page that is untested.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.