• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

can not manually update to norton internet security 2012

I need help I am currently trying to figure out why the manual update wont work when I go through the website. This is after the automatic update failed. I have the 2010 norton anti virus and it wants to update to the norton 2012 internet security 

1. first it says click for update, you can get the most recent version of your product as an upgrade for free with your current subscription

2. i click start, then it says update in progress. then the norton internet security 2012 download starts (146 mb) and it almost finishes but then it says installation cannot continue

3. i click to open browser where it ttells me to manually install it

4.but it tells me the product is already activated when i enter my key online, i did have another harddrive before but i dont know if i installed it on there or if that even matters

Replies

Kudos0

Re: can not manually update to norton internet security 2012

Those versions are WAY out of date, and you should update to the latest version available for your machine for complete protection.

This comparison is from the Australian site, but will give you an idea of what's on offer.

https://au.norton.com/products

Windows 10 Home X 64
Kudos1 Stats

jsingh00:

2. i click start, then it says update in progress. then the norton internet security 2012 download starts (146 mb) and it almost finishes but then it says installation cannot continue

Hi jsing00:

Do you recall the wording of the error message?  If you have an older Win XP or Vista machine with a CPU processor that does not support the SSE2 instruction set, you might see the warning discussed in the support article Message: "An unsupported processor has been detected. This version of the product requires a processor that supports the SSE2 instruction set…" appears when I install my Norton product.

If you aren't sure if your CPU support SSE2 there are instructions <here> on how to use Piriform's free Speccy utility to check your CPU specs. If that's the problem, we can provide instructions for upgrading to NIS v21.7.0.11, which is compatible with these older CPUs.
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v47.0 * NIS v21.7.0.11 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

Kudos0

i just bought the newer version, thanks anyways for the help this is a great forum considering the phone line is always busy

Kudos0

Hi jsingh00:

Thanks for the update.  Could you just confirm that you couldn't upgrade your old Norton product because your subscription had expired?  Users with an active subscription (i.e., more than "0" days remaining on their subscription) are eligible for free upgrades.
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v47.0 * NIS v21.7.0.11 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

Kudos0

i actually had about 250 days left on my 2010 subscription i just didnt have time to wait for an answer . I had windows 10 but 2010 norton antivirus is too old so i rolled back so i could use 2010, i ended up buying 2016 for $25 in the end.

Kudos1 Stats

Hi jsingh00:

Just for future reference, if you have Windows 10 you must use the latest v22.x of your Norton product.  This currently includes v22.x of older product lines (NAV/NIS/N360) as well as v22.x of the newer Norton Security (NS) product line.

Win XP, Vista, Win 7 and Win 8.x are compatible with v22.x of any Norton product (NAV/NIS/N360/NS) but Symantec currently supports earlier versions of NAV/NIS/N360 (e.g., v20.x, v21.x) on machines with these older Windows operating systems.  This doesn't help you now, but I recently posted instructions in CBR44's thread ccsvchst.exe problem for a free upgrade from NIS (2011) v18.x to the latest NIS v22.x on a Win 7 computer.

It sounds like you've already purchased a new Norton Security (NS) license on the online Norton store.  If you have any concerns that you lost the 250 days remaining on your old subscription, contact Norton Customer Support via Live Chat at www.norton.com/chat and ask them to add the missing 250 days to your new NS subscription.  Most users in this forum prefer Live Chat to phone support.
------------

Kudos0

Hello

Please uninstall your old 2010 Norton Antivirus first before you install NS 22.5 and newer. I think your old program is too old for the new program to uninstall the older version.  You would be better off uninstalling from Control Panel and restart.

Use the Norton Removal Tool and then restart----  www.norton.com/nrt

Then install NS. Please remember to keep running Live Update until you get no more updates are available. You may have to restart several times between updates. Once you have all the updates, then please restart one more time.

Please go over all the Settings since the program is going to look way different than you 2010 program. This program includes the SDS (used to be called Antivirus) and a Smart Firewall. If you have any other Firewall, you will have to uninstall it. NS will disable the Windows Firewall.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.3.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.