• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Chrome v65.0.3325.181 update causing issue with Norton Security Toolbar 2018.13.2.22

Just now noticed that the Norton Security Toolbar Icon had stopped its click-function actions of 1) popping up the NTB (make visible when clicked), and 2) displaying the current website's security rating (when clicked). This is a new development only since receiving the latest Chrome update push (v65.0.3325.181).

After doing a little investigation work I found that the two Norton Security Toolbar Icon's "click functions" can be "temporarily" restored by removing then reinstalling the extension - however, the functionalities are lost again as soon as the Chrome browser is closed (all open foreground browser windows are closed) - also note that this is the case even if the Chrome Background App Framework and the Norton Identity Safe extension remain running in the background...

Perhaps (hopefully) someone else can either confirm or refute this new Chrome version compatibility issue observation?

Thanks and Cheers!

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Chrome v65.0.3325.181 update causing issue with Norton Security Toolbar 2018.13.2.22

Hello John - the toolbar now defaults to a hidden mode - click on the extension button should restore the toolbar and another click can display the page's safety rating.  If you do a navigation it gets reset to the original hidden state.  This change is partly for IDSafe display compatibility and partly to transition toward a new experience with the toolbar, in not having it take up the visual real estate at the top of every page all the time.  

You probably know, but in case other readers might wonder - the extension is still enabled and delivering protection as you browse and will show a block page if you attempt to load a dangerous page.

thanks,

Matt

Kudos0

Re: Chrome v65.0.3325.181 update causing issue with Norton Security Toolbar 2018.13.2.22

Thanks MJP...

Yes - I'm already fully aware of all you just stated. But I guess you missed my point that when Chrome updated itself yesterday to the latest build version (at least with my Chrome installation, anyway) all that icon click-wise functionality you just described was rendered defunct by the Chromium version update. The Norton Safe Website tags however, continue to work/display as before (and as expected) when using web-based search engines such as at the Google Search website.

To paraphrase (repeat) my previous statements, the current Norton Security Toolbar extension no longer works correctly/fully with the latest Chrome version 65.0.3325.181 which was released to the official Stable Distribution Channel just yesterday (03/20/2018):

https://chromereleases.googleblog.com/2018/03/stable-channel-update-for-desktop_20.html

You can remove and reinstall the Norton Security Toolbar extension and it will fully work again (clicks-wise) but only until the Chrome browser window is closed. After that, when you reopen the Chrome browser you'll find that the icon's click-wise functionality has again ceased working.

Cheers!

Kudos0

Sorry John. I cannot back up your findings. I just upgraded my Chrome to the same version you mention. My Toolbar extension is also the same you have. Clicking on the Toolbar icon does bring up the Toolbar for me. 

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, ver 1709 (16299.309)

Do you see this on all web sites?

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Thanks, now I understand and I can see it on some website examples - we will look into it and thank you for promptly reporting the issue.

Matt

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.