• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Concerned that NIS 20014 Forces ID Safe Vault online Only!

Well, when I upgraded from NIS2013 to NIS2014 it let me keep my IDSafe Vault on my system. I uninstalled NIS2014 for a different reason and saved the settings. Now that I reinstalled NIS2014 it made me set up the Online Vault!

Am I the only one who does not feel good about all of my passwords being online?

Is there any way to get this back on my system only?

If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is!

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Concerned that NIS 20014 Forces ID Safe Vault online Only!

Well, when I upgraded from NIS2013 to NIS2014 it let me keep my IDSafe Vault on my system. I uninstalled NIS2014 for a different reason and saved the settings. Now that I reinstalled NIS2014 it made me set up the Online Vault!

Am I the only one who does not feel good about all of my passwords being online?

Is there any way to get this back on my system only?

Kudos0

MPSAN, did you use the Norton Remove and Reinstall tool, using the option to save your settings?  Using that, would not have transferred you to the online vault, if you had a local vault. How did you reinstall Norton 2014 ?

Windows 10 Home X 64 Norton Security Premium Current
Kudos0

F4E wrote:

MPSAN, did you use the Norton Remove and Reinstall tool, using the option to save your settings?  Using that, would not have transferred you to the online vault, if you had a local vault. How did you reinstall Norton 2014 ?

I used NRT, and Controll panel, and DID tell it to save settings. I have an Image and CAN go back again if needed. Actually when I d/l the file from where Krusty13 pointed me, I ran the NIS21 AFTER I ran NRT, as I said, and it added an id safe icon. Now that NIS2014 is back, I still have that seperate ICON. I have seen that you can just run windows add/remove and just get rid of id safe as a seperate program.

Anyway, am I the only one who just feels unsafe with the online vault or is it just in my haed?!!

Kudos0

Lots of Norton customers are upset about the lost of the Local Vault but Norton does not care. The only way to get your local vault back is to install NIS 2012, create the Local Vault and then updated to NIS 2014. However NIS 2012 is not compatible with Windows 8.1 so we are really screwed. Thanks a lot Norton!!!

Jim

Kudos1 Stats

Hi Jim,

This is meant as a joke - you could always roll Win 8.1 back to a version of Windows that is compatible with NIS 2012, install 2012, then over the top to v 21.1.0.18 and then roll the OS u0p to win 8.1.

I guess it depends on just how badly do you want that Locl Vult on 8.1!!
Kudos0

Well, it will be a long time before I get 8.1. Norton claims that the online ID Vault has stronger security than a hackable local vault! Anyway, I could just go back to 2013 and see what happens but I may stay! Now to get rid of the id safe icon in the task bar that installed when I removed nis2014!

Kudos0

When you uninstalled through the control panel and used the option to save all your settings it did just that.  It saved all your settings.

But then you ran the NRT and it did what it was designed to do, remove all Norton products, including the settings you just saved.

But can you do a full scan now without it hanging up?

I was pretty sure it was a conflict with the old version of system works that was causing the problem.

Dave

Kudos0

MPSAN wrote:

Well, it will be a long time before I get 8.1. Norton claims that the online ID Vault has stronger security than a hackable local vault! Anyway, I could just go back to 2013 and see what happens but I may stay! Now to get rid of the id safe icon in the task bar that installed when I removed nis2014!

Hi MSPAN,

You may have missed it (as I did the first tme I uninstalled v 21), but there is a qustion during the uninstall that asks if you wish to continue to use ID Safe.  It appears you answered YES (as I did) thinking it was going to save my ID Safe settings as well.

As we both found out thati s not what the question is asking.  By saying YES, there is actually the Stand Alone ID Safe installed on your system.  I had a separate desktop Icon for it as well as one in the system tray.  You can remove it via Control Panel and if I remember correctly, your icons will also disappear.

Kudos0

And one would think that performing a subsequent NIS or 360 re-installation (particularly in the presence of retained prior settings,) that the product installer should be intelligent enough to figure this duality / conflict condition out and properly supplant, upgrade or remove, the installed stand alone version and leave only its full feature version counterpart in place, as part of the installation process - IMHO.

Kudos0

I agree John, but the real corrective factor IMHO would be for the question to be worded more clearly and specifically ask - do you desire to run the Stand Alone ID Safe in lieu of using ID Safe as part of your UI - or something to that effect.

I do know a few things:

- one can not install the Stand Alone ID Safe if one already has NIS or N 360 installed on their system. The insta will not be permitted as it "found another instance of ID Safe in your curent Norton product"

- Users who were running NAV when the ID Safe was "forced on them" (my words) without asking were upset - but at least now there is a question bering asked - although not nearly as clearly worded as it should be. Is that right- either way??

Just my two cents!
Kudos1 Stats

And I very much agree with your observations too Yank - having a less confusing, more definitive wording during the uninstall process would by far improve the eventual outcome of an intentional product removal/reinstallation cycle.

But I also find it interesting that the "free" stand alone product's installer is smart enough to figure out the impending conflict and not permit it to occur, while the "paid for" products' installers are not intelligent enough to detect and avoid the problem which they're about to create ... IMHO.

Kind regards,

John

Kudos0

Well, I did use control panel to remove the stand alone version, and the icon is gone from the tray.

Also, YES! I did do a full scan now and all seems OK. Still, is having the Vault online better than local? Not sure it is worth restoring an image before I cleaned all this up and starting over with the removal(s) would be worth it!

Kudos0

HI MPSAN,

I am afraid to ask this question - but have you ever considered havng BOTH an Online Vault and a Local Vault.  There are users who have both.  I am one of them and I use my Local Vault on a daily basis, doing what I do on a day to day basis, but maintain an Online Vault also so that I have all my log-ins available when I go away from home and use my laptop - which only has an Online Vault. 

<edit>  Let me clarifiy that - you would have both a Local and an Online Vault - which would not be using the Stand Alone Vault you just removed.  But instead an Online and a Local Vault under the interface of your NIS.

Kudos0

DaveH wrote:

When you uninstalled through the control panel and used the option to save all your settings it did just that.  It saved all your settings.

But then you ran the NRT and it did what it was designed to do, remove all Norton products, including the settings you just saved.

But can you do a full scan now without it hanging up?

I was pretty sure it was a conflict with the old version of system works that was causing the problem.

Dave

I spoke too soon. It ran a full scan...633,198 files. The next time I tried it, it locked up again at about 620,000 files. Makes me think I may as well remove my online vault and revert back to an image I took before doing all of this!

Kudos0

yank wrote:

HI MPSAN,

I am afraid to ask this question - but have you ever considered havng BOTH an Online Vault and a Local Vault.  There are users who have both.  I am one of them and I use my Local Vault on a daily basis, doing what I do on a day to day basis, but maintain an Online Vault also so that I have all my log-ins available when I go away from home and use my laptop - which only has an Online Vault. 

<edit>  Let me clarifiy that - you would have both a Local and an Online Vault - which would not be using the Stand Alone Vault you just removed.  But instead an Online and a Local Vault under the interface of your NIS.

Well, how do I tell it that I want a local vault as well? If I did that, and then deleted most of my Online Vault data wouldn't that be the way to go? I was not aware that NIS2014 allowed a local vault.

Kudos0

MPSAN wrote:

Well, how do I tell it that I want a local vault as well? If I did that, and then deleted most of my Online Vault data wouldn't that be the way to go? I was not aware that NIS2014 allowed a local vault.

You cannot tell it the difference between a local or online vault.

If you have a local vault established and working on your system, the V21 (2014) will allow it to remain as your vault. If the local vault has been removed with a complete Norton Removal, there is no way to create a local vault when you reinstall 2014

As Yank noted above, you have to find a way to install the 2012 version of NIS, create your local vault and import your data. Then you can upgrade the product with an over the top installation of 2014. ie do not uninstall and run NRT.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

peterweb wrote:

MPSAN wrote:

You cannot tell it the difference between a local or online vault.

If you have a local vault established and working on your system, the V21 (2014) will allow it to remain as your vault. If the local vault has been removed with a complete Norton Removal, there is no way to create a local vault when you reinstall 2014

As Yank noted above, you have to find a way to install the 2012 version of NIS, create your local vault and import your data. Then you can upgrade the product with an over the top installation of 2014. ie do not uninstall and run NRT.

Well, my disk images with NIS2013 AND 2014 have the local vault. I guess I should just restore my image and remove NU and NSW again without NRT!

Kudos0

That should give you the desired result. 

As well as proving the value of disc imaging.  

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.