• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

DNS whitelist possible on Norton360 firewall?

We have a device which we want to restrict to a single domain on the web. Can the Norton360 product's firewall do this, and if so how? all devices on windows platform.  thx

I've tried everything, but it doesn't work and we don't want the parental control product.

thx

Replies

Kudos0

Re: DNS whitelist possible on Norton360 firewall?

Creating a DNS whitelist is not possible with the Norton Firewall as far as I can see. The only option I see would be assigning network trust settings as discussed here. If you were connecting to the net through a local server and had active directory functional you could set group policy as discussed in this MS article.

Cheers

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows Server 2016 Essentials / Windows 10 Professional x 64 version 1903 / build 18362.418 / N360 Deluxe 22.19.8.65 / Norton Core v.282 on Android 2.11 / Opera GX
Kudos0

How about setting up traffic rules like this.

I haven't had time to config and test yet, but it seems like it should work

1. Launch Norton Internet Security, click "Settings" and choose "Network." Select "Smart Firewall" from the left pane and choose "Configure."
2. Select "Configure" next to General Rules and click "Add" to launch the Add Rule wizard.
3. Select "Allow" and click "Next." Choose "Connection to Other Computers" from the options and click "Next."
4. Select "Only the Computers and Sites Listed Below." Click "Add" and enter the IP address of the domain.
5. Click "OK" and click "Next." Select "TCP" from the drop-down menu and choose "Only Communications That Match All Types and Ports Listed Below."
6. Click "Add" and select "Known Ports From List." Select "80" and "443." Click "OK" and click "Next."
7. Select "Create a Security History Log Entry" to include an entry in the event log whenever the rule is used, if desired. Click "Next."
8. Select "Apply This Rule" to apply the site exception to IP Version 6 Network Address Translation Traversal traffic. Click "Next."
9. Enter a name for the rule and click "Next." Review your selections on the summary screen and click "Finish."
10. Click "Move Up" to move the rule to the top of the list. Click "OK" to close each window.

Kudos0

That's the long route lol, but appears fundamentally sound. Give it a go and let us know what the results are.

Cheers

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows Server 2016 Essentials / Windows 10 Professional x 64 version 1903 / build 18362.418 / N360 Deluxe 22.19.8.65 / Norton Core v.282 on Android 2.11 / Opera GX
Kudos0

tried it but there seems to be a missing step, and on one of the steps there were more options than it mentioned, so I only had enough time for a single try, and it did not do what was intended

hope to link up to the device later and try again

will post the couple options that I'm not sure about, and seem not to be covered in the steps, in the hopes someone might point me in the right direction on those

this sure seems like it should do what I am trying to accomplish

again many thanks

Kudos0

One thing I forgot to ask is whether you are in a small business or other local LAN environment. Or are these just home machines?

Cheers

Kudos0

nope just some home machines, this is the only 1 I want to restrict, still haven't had the chance to try again..  the life of i.t.

thx again

cheers

Kudos0

Just wanted to add, you can create a "blacklist" of sorts by editing the hosts file in Windows. Its a drastic step, very risky and I don't recommend doing so unless you are ABSOLUTELY sure you know what you are doing as well as how to do it. You can get info about that on the Microsoft forums using your MS login credentials.

Cheers