• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

DnsMasq heap Buffer Overflow vulnerability Catalogue Id CVE-2017-14491

Hi I am a new Norton Security user.

I was using Avast and I did a scan with there WI FI inspector and a warning come for this DnsMasq heap Buffer Overflow vulnerability

Catalogue Id  CVE-2017-14491 .

Just curious how to check for this with Norton if Possible.

Cheers

Replies

Accepted Solution
Kudos0

Re: DnsMasq heap Buffer Overflow vulnerability Catalogue Id CVE-2017-14491

Hello Norton doesn't have a "tool" per se to check for this but does scan for vulnerabilities in real time. Just to make sure you understand, this vulnerability resides mainly with Open Source OS's, router software/firmware, iOT devices and mobile devices. Vendors were notified to provide patch services accordingly. Below are some example articles to this: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/security-bugs-in-dnsmasq-affect-computers-smartphones-routers-iot-devices/

Best practices, first line should be to ensure whatever devices are being used is updated with the latest firmware for that device. Your ISP should have already remotely updated their devices, personally owned devices should be updated by the owner by visiting the OEM websites and contact with appropriate support personnel.

Cheers

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Home / Professional x 64 version 1903 / build 18362.295 / N360 Deluxe 22.18.0.213 / Norton Core v.282 on Android 2.00
Kudos1 Stats

Hi much appreciated .

I got hold of the ISP who supplies the modem and they say I am protected with the firmware version I have.

Cheers

Kudos0

Awesome news!!

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Home / Professional x 64 version 1903 / build 18362.295 / N360 Deluxe 22.18.0.213 / Norton Core v.282 on Android 2.00
Kudos0

Hello pedropete319. It appears your issue was resolved. If you'd be so kind please mark the thread as solved, just select the suggestive post that is the solution. Others may then see the solution. Glad hearing you are all squared away.

Cheers

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.