• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos2 Stats

Does Norton Toolbar Identity safe work with Firefox 41.0.2 yet?

I already posted a similar question 15 days ago, and was told it is incompatible and it is being worked on. So this is a follow-up. Is it fixed now? I am locked into FF40.0.3 and cannot update add-ons or plug-ins until I update FF. And I can't update FF until the toolbar is compatible. I have about 100 different log ins that identity safe manages for me,and it is unfeasible to lose identity safe and log in manually to each website.

If it still doesn't work...will Norton send an email to all its subscribers to let them know they can finally use the identity safe when it does get fixed?

Replies

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Does Norton Toolbar Identity safe work with Firefox 41.0.2 yet?

No, it is still being worked on.  Hopefully a partial fix will be released by the end of this month with the ID Safe functionality included at a later time, no ETA.

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/firefox-41-and-norton-toolbar-compatibility

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Kudos1 Stats

Why is this update taking so long?

Kudos3 Stats

Same here.  Update are usually a lot faster than this.

Kudos0

You can still use the auto logins. You just need to open up the Norton security window and log into the identify safe through there. You can select the logins and it will put them in and log you into the sites. It's a little more hassle but at least you don't need to remember all those passwords. 

Kudos0

It will take you to the log in page, but will not enter the information.

Kudos3 Stats

This is a serious deficiency! I have been using Norton for decades and  I am seriously considering choosing another product because of this!

Did you say that Identity Safe will NOT be addressed at this time?

Kudos0

It was suggested that you look at the link in Krusty13's post above. If you look at the links within that post, you will see the answers to your questions.

The Toolbar is being completely redesigned. It will be implemented in stages. There is no timeline for the completion of all features. ID Safe will probably not be in the first release of the new Toolbar.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos3 Stats

I am wondering if Norton will give all of its users who have been screwed out of using the features of their internet security system an extension on their license since they obviously got caught with their pants down on this issue. It gives me the perception that they are not the best security software to purchase and their are more professional options out there for purchase.

Kudos2 Stats

daf62757:

I am wondering if Norton will give all of its users who have been screwed out of using the features of their internet security system an extension on their license since they obviously got caught with their pants down on this issue. It gives me the perception that they are not the best security software to purchase and their are more professional options out there for purchase.

Um, no. This is because Mozilla keep changing the rules which isn't helped by putting out a new version usually full of bugs, every six weeks.

Symantec is working on a new plugin that will be compatible, but it takes time and no point in rushing out a fix just to placate people.

As you know, the toolbar works fine in IE and Chrome, so that should illustrate the issues with Firefox.

Symantec needs to get it right, otherwise the forums will be full of people complaining about that, so we all need to be patient.....................

Windows 10 Home X 64 Norton Security Premium Current
Kudos1 Stats

If Norton Identity Safe on the Norton Tool Bar does not work with Firefox by the end of October, I have no reason to renew my Norton subscription.  I will be checking out the alternatives.

Kudos2 Stats

Personally I use Norton Security for its 'Security' features. The Toolbar features are an extra add on. I am disappointed that the Toolbar is not yet available for the latest FF version, but I have just kept FF v 40 for now.

Kudos0

Hello

There are other free password managers out there. Why would a Firefox program need to be updated every couple of weeks unless the program is buggy or doesn't work properly?. It seems to have to be updated as often as Adobe Flash except Flash Player is usually updated once a month, FF updates more often than Flash Player if you count in the updates like from FF 40 to 40.01 etc. up to FF41. They have eliminated Flash Player because that is not secure.

When things are done in a hurry, they do tend to cause issues for other parts of the program which might interfere with the security of the program. The main purpose is to keep your computer safe.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.2.47 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos1 Stats

floplot recently wrote:

[quote]

Hello

There are other free password managers out there. Why would a Firefox program need to be updated every couple of weeks unless the program is buggy or doesn't work properly?. It seems to have to be updated as often as Adobe Flash except Flash Player is usually updated once a month, FF updates more often than Flash Player if you count in the updates like from FF 40 to 40.01 etc. up to FF41. They have eliminated Flash Player because that is not secure.

When things are done in a hurry, they do tend to cause issues for other parts of the program which might interfere with the security of the program. The main purpose is to keep your computer safe.

[/quote]

I tried a few alternative password manager extensions available for google chrome.  They were not at all convenient to use, difficult, and basically I have found NONE of them were as good as the Identity-Safe password manager with Norton products.  The real purpose for Norton IS, Norton S, Norton 360, is security, avoiding and taking care of immediate infection from programs, from websites.

We now ARE IN late October, and still no available updates for Norton ID Safe nor Norton Toolbar.  We must all be tired of hanging on to version 40 of Firefox  (those of us who are still with that version).  The Norton Toolbar works BETTER in Firefox than it does in google chrome or whichever chrome-based browser in which the NTB is compatible.  Too jittery while tool bar load in each new page of the browser when using chrome-type browser, and logins often fail to fill for some login accounts.  But Firefox version 40-someting, no problem.  We REALLY REALLY want NSTB to work in Firefox v41 , NOW.

Kudos2 Stats

Norton wants us to be patient with the upgrade for Toolbar on Mozilla Firefox 41.0.2  and that is fine I guess, however they sure do want our money (and a lot of it I might add) IMMEDIATELY in purchasing their product. Norton should offer their customers a rebate or some other consideration for having to tolerate such delays in service for a product we have already paid for. This is not the first time this has happened....hopefully it will be the last!

Kudos0

It will be the last for me.  Norton is not the product it once was. 

Kudos1 Stats

It is time for Norton to stop making excuses and get the job done.  For what we pay for Norton, Norton should be on top of this and apparently they are not.  I, too, am seriously considering not renewing my Norton subscription.

Kudos1 Stats

The solution for this forum is for Norton to fix the problem!!!

Kudos0

F4E:
daf62757:

Um, no. This is because Mozilla keep changing the rules which isn't helped by putting out a new version usually full of bugs, every six weeks.

Symantec is working on a new plugin that will be compatible, but it takes time and no point in rushing out a fix just to placate people.

As you know, the toolbar works fine in IE and Chrome, so that should illustrate the issues with Firefox.

Symantec needs to get it right, otherwise the forums will be full of people complaining about that, so we all need to be patient.....................

I repeat my previous post. Symantec is working on a different type of plugin, because Mozilla changed the rules. IT WILL TAKE TIME !

Kudos0

Kudos3 Stats

So basically, an announcement to say that they are close, but in reality, no closer to the goal line than before. I bought this internet protection package because of the tool bar. I realize some didn't but you can get a Microsoft virus protector for free.

Again, Norton should extend our license agreement to compensate us for the month we are without the use of a product they promised when we bought this product. You don't buy a car and have the dealer tell you, well before you can put it in gear and drive, you have to wait a month for us to update our onboard computers. It is an annoying issue that makes a good virus protection program come across as amateur.

I paid good money for a product, and the product doesn't work. Not my fault and why should I finance failure?

Kudos0

Excuses are like *@#$@*.....they all stink!

Kudos3 Stats

Because everything else works or there is a work around.
 There are other products you can turn to but       about it is not going to get it worked out with Mozilla.   Why not try the issue on Mozilla forums.  It may prove to be more productive.  As a Norton user since Dos I think you/we got it pretty good with protection and use and a forum for issues.

1) Maximus VI Extreme - i7 4790K@4.0ghz,32gig,Gskill Trident X 2400,MSI R7970 Twin Frozr III Factory OC,Corsair 240g SSD, Corsair W/C H801,3TB Sam,Win10x64 2) Rampage II Extreme-i7 960@3.4ghz,24gig Kingston,MSI R7950 Twin Frozr III-3g,Corsair 240g SSD,2TB WD,Win10x64, NS, NU16, MBAM
Kudos1 Stats

I believe that daf62757 has hit the nail right on the head. If you purchased the product just for that feature and it doesn't  deliver what was promised you should get a refund or some sort of compensation for not delivering what was sold.

To me, that is one of the features that I like about Norton's and miss it.

I hope that they can resolve this bug before my subscription runs out. I hate to have to find a new program to manage my log-in.

No more excuses.

Kudos3 Stats

So many people on here want to shoot the messenger!!! 

The ID Safe and Norton tool bar DO work with Firefox 41.0.1......hold off upgrading....it isn't like you can't use Firefox at all!!  But maybe a lot of you just HAVE TO HAVE the lastest toys????

Norton is only trying to make their product work under Mozilla's "Firefox".  It is NOT Norton's fault that Mozilla is constantly changing Firefox!!  Get real folks.....complain to Mozilla!!  Threaten to leave Mozilla and go back to Explorer or Chrome or any other platform.

The analogy used by  daf62757 about the car is silly....down right silly. If you bought a new car....and took it down a road that was being worked on, repaved, pot holes filled, bridge cleaning, whatever...would you blame the maker of the car or seek a new route?? Complain to the highways department!!!!  Norton has NO more control over what Mozilla does with their product than GM, Ford, Dodge or any other vehicle manufacturer does over road repairs!!

Symantec puts out excellent products....I used to be a McAfee user but changed to Symantec years ago with absolutely no regrets or complaints.  NO, I do NOT work for either of them!! 

COMPLAIN TO MOZILLA!!!!!!  start here:  https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/new

Kudos3 Stats

From Symantec employee's original announcement Firefox 41 and Norton Toolbar compatibility of 21-Sep-2015:

"Up to this point, Norton has used a Mozilla technology called ‘binary XPCOM’, to establish secure communication between the Norton product and Norton’s extension for Firefox. We chose this originally because it was the best way to provide the most secure communication and at the same time offer the best user experience for customers. Since this Mozilla technology will not be available anymore, we have to make significant changes to our design and implementation to provide the current functionality with equal level of security."

Extension developers were informed several months ago that Mozilla was discontinuing support for binary XPCOM - see the 04-May-2015 Mozilla Add-ons Blog entry Dropping support for binary components in extensions. This change was originally scheduled for FF40 but was later pushed back to FF41.  Mozilla has also posted an official response for Norton users in their support article titled Norton Toolbar won't work with Firefox version 41.
-------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox 41.0.2 * NIS 2014 v21.7.0.11 * MBAM Premium 2.2.0

Kudos0

lmacri:
Mozilla has also posted an official response for Norton users in their support article titled Norton Toolbar won't work with Firefox version 41.
  • The standalone Norton application will continue to work without the toolbar. Use the features within the Norton application and uninstall the toolbar. Reinstall it when Norton releases a fix.

Except you can't uninstall the toolbar if you have a Norton Security program installed.

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Kudos0

Except you can't uninstall the toolbar if you have a Norton Security program installed.

Exactly, Krusty. Mozilla backing away from THEIR problem.

Kudos1 Stats

When I buy the, "Just HAVE TO HAVE the Latest toys" I want it to do what it's promised.

So let me get this straight. The analogy about the car is "down right silly".

Lets say I buy a brand new car with all of the bells and whistles and the state-of-the-art, up-to-date SatNav system that works great for six months then all of the sudden it can't find the same route its has been using all this time. "recalculating".  Do I complain to the highway department for redesigning a road that is better then the old route to get me from point A to point B, or the manufacturer of the SatNav system for not keeping up with the latest upgrades?

Why would I blame Mozilla for keeping up with the times and not the other products for not doing the same? Now that is "down right silly". Mozilla is constantly changing Firefox to stay up with the times. "Get real folks.....complain to Mozilla, threaten to leave Mozilla and go back to Explorer or Chrome" for what, doing there jobs? Really Explorer? Now that is DOWN RIGHT SILLY.

Kudos0

It's the end of October and no update. The question is "will we be asking the same thing New Years day?" My subscription runs out in a few months, Norton, make me want to renew or drive me away. Where are you as far as the Toolbar?

Kudos0

Also, go backwards for Firefox 40? With your car problem, just go back to a 2000 model while you wait. No sense at all. I like to keep up to date (and I'm 65 years old) We're looking around

Kudos0

New question for the same subject...

Will the new toolbar/identity safe work out of an area of Firefox that Mozilla can't or won't change? That would eliminate incompatibility for many upcoming FF updates. I'm willing to wait as long as the program works and isn't incapacitated by Mozilla right away.

Kudos0

Just want to know why norton toolbar works in firefox 41.0.2 for mac but not compatible with firefox 41.0.2 for windows? Is there any major differences between the plugins?

Kudos0

Due to the system architecture differences between Windows and Mac, the products are completely different. Both the Firefox and the Norton products are coded completely differently for the two OSs.

So the roadblocks set up by Mozilla on the Windows versions are probably not there on Mac.

Kudos2 Stats

Well here it is. November 1st. All those wonderful comments about it being ready at the end of the month have all turned out to be inaccurate. I wonder if another month will pass by and then another.

Norton should be a stand up company and offer license extensions. The customer didn't create this problem. Someone obviously dropped the ball and after a long period of time, the problem hasn't been fixed. You can only blame Mozilla so much. Norton has failed to make a product that can keep up with software they advertised to work with. Failure!

Kudos0

Well here it is. November 1st. All those wonderful comments about it being ready at the end of the month have all turned out to be inaccurate. I wonder if another month will pass by and then another.

This is an example of why Norton and many other companies do not give firm delivery dates. If the product is not ready to be released by the given release date, the customers get upset. It is better to either not give a date, or give a date that is deliberately way beyond the expected delivery date, and then release it early. 

Kudos2 Stats

Too late! So bad! So sad! I've just switched to another internet security software. Guess what? It has a Firefox 41 tool bar safe surf, all the bells and whistles. Uninstall Norton and switch.

Kudos0

Which product did you you select?  I'll be happy to try something different.  And if it has all the bells and whistles, all the better. 

Kudos0

I went with AVG but their toolbar and safe search can be downloaded separately.

Kudos0

Uninstall Norton. It has no real support.
Kudos1 Stats

Why doesn't Firefox automatically give out a message saying it will be dysfunctional with Norton ONCE AGAIN and not automatically update.  It's impossible to downgrade once the update is done.  Norton needs to give users some type of warning when something like this is going to happen.  The ONLY reason I use Norton 360 is because of Identity Safe, which I guess I can get for free, separate from N360.  No more $60 a year, that is for sure.

Kudos1 Stats

Before Firefox installs the newer version it tells you that it is incompatible with Norton Safe Search!!!   That's what happened to me, so I did not install the Firefox update. But, I agree with Pete D. that Norton charges enough for it's product and it should be prepared for the Firefox changes since firefox runs these updates in beta for awhile and apparently Norton does not keep up with the proposed and actual changes.

Kudos3 Stats

It is now November and although Norton announced a fix till end of October I'd at least expect an OFFICIAL statement from Norton what's going on, why there is no fix, and what they consider to do in order to compensate their frustrated customers - am I wrong? I only read defenses from Norton and Firefox aficionados why one of the two companies is not responsible for this dilemma - but where is Norton company as such? Do they really want to lose their customers??

Kudos0

This is a promo by Norton to get you to use the Establishment cloud, or their Establishment browsers.  The other enticements weren't getting the job done.  I will never (knowingly) use "the cloud".  They figure, if they drag this out long enough, you'll cave.

Kudos2 Stats

Norton has lost it's reputation on this, at least with me. I have uninstalled all of Norton and moved on to a different program for my protection. We are. not sheep that can be guided to where they want. Time to bail out. I wish everyone luck in waiting until New Years for the update. Bye

Kudos0

RAND PAUL 2016:

This is a promo by Norton to get you to use the Establishment cloud, or their Establishment browsers.  The other enticements weren't getting the job done.  I will never (knowingly) use "the cloud".  They figure, if they drag this out long enough, you'll cave.

This toolbar issue affects both local and cloud vaults. So no underlying agenda here.

Kudos1 Stats

It has now been six weeks since Norton told us they would have a fix at the end of Oct.  Let's take some action.

"If you have an unresolved Norton/Symantec complaint and regular customer service doesn’t help you out, you might want to try giving one of the top-ranking company executives inside a call or an email. Don’t forget to be nice, polite, and professional, and remember the guidelines for contacting executive customer service. If you need help writing a solid complaint letter, here’s a template to follow. Now here’s the complete executive contact list…" http://consumerist.com/2008/07/31/complete-norton-symantec-executive-contact-list/

Kudos1 Stats

Hello ppiercy,

Please review >  Firefox 41 and 42 Support for Norton Toolbar

Norton is working with Firefox to get the Toolbar verified soon and a separate patch will be released to address this.

Kudos1 Stats

Should the public not use the not ready for prime time (buggy)  browsers.  Anti Virus super hero's could not sell protection from the boogie man.  Therefore how could any of the  super hero's exist without a close association with the browser developers?  This hastens the question.  Just what is going on here?  My account was renewed on 9/30/15.  The rug was pulled out on 10/9/15.  My original association with Norton began during DOS. Coding at that time needed to be functional and exquisite, due to memory constraints .  Today coding equates to cut and paste mache.  Problems creep in when there is nothing to cut.  Does Symantec really expect those of us that have supported them for decades to believe they had no idea of Mozilla's intentions?  Right!  I've got a bridge for sale.  Becoming acclimated to new software is slow but I'll survive.  If Symantec continues on this path.  They may not.

Kudos0

Norton is working at a snails pace.  why?  They knew or should have known about these changes months ago.  When is soon, sometimes next year?

Kudos0

ppiercy:

. Now here’s the complete executive contact list…" http://consumerist.com/2008/07/31/complete-norton-symantec-executive-contact-list/

If you look at the title and first line, you'll see:

Complete Norton Symantec Executive Contact List

By Ben Popken July 31, 2008

I cant help but wonder how accurate the list is - since it is over 7 years old??

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.