• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Does the Vault now actually work ? NIS 22.8.0.50 - FF 49.01

So I got the email from Mohan G about the update to NIS 22.8.0.50 did the Live Update and it worked. I was getting quite excited as under What's new was "Fully integrated IDSafe with Firefox 48.x and above" Wow"  I thought, "I'm going to get the vault back on my toolbar!" But it was not to be I am afraid. Sure there is limited access, but no vault on my toolbar. We all (I think) got a little fed up with delays and non performance which seemed to peak in November 2015.

I have remained with Norton hoping and waiting for "The Vault" to appear in fully functioning form on the toolbar. So far no change - although in fairness what we have now is an improvement.

I still wonder why Google Chrome & Internet Explorer seem to accommodate the Norton Vault and we can not write a version that will run on Firefox - unless of course Firefox wish to avoid any competition for their own "password manager" ? Don't know, so can't comment.

The question remains please - "when can we have the Vault on the Norton Toolbar?"

Regards to all

weeshus

Labels: Online Vault

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Does the Vault now actually work ? NIS 22.8.0.50 - FF 49.01

Hello weeshus

Have you run Live Update for a Hot Fix? I'll leave the rest for those who run FF since I don't use FF.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 2004 N 360 22.20.5.39 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

"Fully integrated IDSafe with Firefox 48.x and above"  was removed from the announcement this afternoon. With the new update you will get a NAG screen in FF and it lets you install the ID Safe extension ver 1.1.54 which is the 2nd one released a while ago. Also the Toolbar was renamed and updated.

Norton Identity Safe 1.1.54

Norton Security Toolbar 2016.8.0.95

Jim

Kudos0

Thank you floplot, I know I have gaping holes in my knowledge - but please how do I do "Live Update for a Hot Fix" live update I can do what is the Hot Fix bit?

Thanks for the information PhoneMan - but are we getting any closer?

Regards

weeshus

Kudos0

A little closer as it now prompts you to install the ID extension so you don't have to go look for it. I assume future updates to the ID extension will come through live updates.

Jim

Kudos0

Firefox Norton extension thru Firefox store akin to Chrome Norton extension thru Chrome store.

Kudos0

Hello weeshus

Since there has been no mention of a Hot Fix, perhaps there wasn't any or else it just came thru without doing anything. Usually with a Hot Fix, you run Live Update a couple of times and watch for the Hot Fix where you see what the Updates were, then restart if no sign of the Hot Fix and then run Live Update with Fast Start Up disabled and check again for it. You have to do that cycle a few times till it shows up..

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 2004 N 360 22.20.5.39 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Thanks to all, have followed your advice and suggestions - bit of a problem with the "HotFix" , but sorted. What I have now is the Norton Toolbar (see pdf) and the following sequence of events.

Enter URL of site > immediately the user and password details are inserted > signed into site 

Not as good as previously with all the edit facilities / vault sitting on Norton Toolbar etc but "better than nowt"

Regards to all

weeshus

File Attachment: 
Kudos0

The Toolbar does not contain the ID Safe functions. That is a separate icon on the right side of the FF address bar.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Hot fix, cold fix, all I want is a fix that doesn't do what 1.1.54 does to my FF 49.0.1 with great regularity; screw up the positioning of pages it thinks it needs to potentially fill in somewhere.  I've opened sites under new tabs and had the page position properly, half-way down in the middle of nowhere, near the bottom, you name it.  I use an add-on called Zoom Page to show most pages at 150% and that has even caused the prompt to open the vault to show up in the upper left corner of a page with only the lower right 25% of the prompt showing (the rest off screen).  I'm spending inordinate amounts of time having to scroll to the top of pages that have built in links to other site information, so much so that I occasionally get so fed up that I disable the ID Safe add-on.  And don't get me started on how many ways things go sideways opening my Safe; when I have multiple tabs active and I have to open the safe (unless I'm on the rightmost tab) the temporary tab to the Norton site to open the vault never sends me back to the tab I started in when that temp tab closes.

Then there are the fields where the site may allow you to enter information unrelated to user ID or password (e.g. search fields) where Norton fills in something it somehow thinks will be helpful (user ID seems to be a favorite).  One of my most often sources of amusement is the Home Depot site (but there are others).  I've a tab open there right now with the Norton Vault key-hole icon sitting near the right side of the page, half-way down judging from the scroll-bar, with no input field in sight.

Kudos0

Hi all,

Peterweb - I can't see the icon on the FF address bar, nor is it an option when I click on Customize.  Am I missing a setting somewhere?

In any case, I'm wondering whether it's worth persisting with ID Safe, especially noting pinman's frustration.  When it was first made unavailable, I switched to LastPass for the same function and have found it works OK (recommended by somebody on this site, I believe).  I have only had to visit ID Safe since to pick up rarely-used passwords saved there.

Thanks,

Ian

Kudos0

Look in Add-Ons - Extensions  and see if Norton Identity Safe is enabled.

Jim

Kudos0

Thanks Jim,

I'd looked before and it was just the Norton Toolbar.  I'd tried to find it on Add-ons but must not have tried hard enough.  It's now in place and I'll test it and report back after I've worked out how to disable LastPass without losing any passwords created since I started using it!

Thanks again,

Ian

EDIT:  I've enabled it and tried it out on a couple of sites and note:

1.  It seems to be a bit quicker finding the passwords than LassPass;
2.  The icon doesn't "light up" like it used to do, which is a pity.

EDIT2#:  I signed on to a Gmail address I'd set up after I last used ID Safe and it offered me two "old" passwords.  I overtyped what it entered and got to my emails.  I didn't see anything that suggested ID Safe was interested in the new password.  I signed off, signed on again and was offered two passwords.  I ignored them, entered the correct password and got into the account.  The list of accounts includes the two offered (two of five) but not the new one.  I'll have a go at inputting the other three as new log ins but, meanwhile, a bit of a worry.

Ian

Kudos0

Thanks Peterweb, I found it on the far right (just before the "burger" menu icon). Guess I missed it as it does not turn yellow when signed in and the grey colour is missable until someone tell you

Got the same problem as iancol - I have 3 email addresses all on gmail. As pinman says When the vault tries to log me in I get 3 yellow bordered boxes inviting me to choose. Problem can be that ID safe overwrites at times with a login I don't want. Editing and changing password does not seem to work - stops me saving telling me that the user exists. Only way round it is to delete and then create a new login. That so far has worked. Bit of a long way round but it works - or has dome so far!

Maybe with all your useful suggestions the Norton team will take notes and incorporate into the next update?

BUT I think we are maybe getting there

Regards - weeshus

Kudos0

pinman

Norton is aware of the issue with the page positioning. This was an issue some time ago with ID Safe and it was fixed then. They are also aware of the tabs issue.

Ian and weeshus

I have not been able to test the multi login pages, but I have been able to add a new login for a page with an existing entry in ID Safe. There may be a little bit of a lag, but a bar drops down and offers to replace or add new login.

Kudos0

My icon of the Norton Identity Safe Extension in FF 49.0.1 is grey and not yellow like that one of PhoneMan. It is enabled and all seems working fine:

Kudos0

Same as with "noghere" my icon is grey also on the FF toolbar, it should be yellow when open, grey when closed. Also I am not happy with that I have to reopen my vault if FF, even if it is open in Internet Explorer (and IE open), how will it be with Edge, perhaps you would have to open it for the third time.

Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit.
Kudos0

Hi all,

I've had a look at this in a bit more detail, v/v Gmail especially.  Here's what I found:

1. When I sign on to IDS, the icon in the address bar doesn’t change colour, already discussed, but important.
  2. If I click on “online vault” on the address bar icon, I get the ID Safe download web page! https://identitysafe.norton.com/
  3. Thus, if I want to look at the logins in the vault, I have to open up N360 as there is no facility via the address bar icon, AND, I have to sign into the vault again.
  4. I'm set up such that 5 Gmail accounts are offered when I click on the Gmail icon on the bookmarks bar.  Whichever I choose, I only get two logins offered (as was the case, I think, last time).  These accounts exist as accounts.google and accounts.google 1.
  5. The URL is different for each login, once I select one, so you'd think IDS should be able to differentiate, but if I try to set up a new login I can’t copy and paste that URL into the form.
  6. If I want one of the logins that isn’t prompted for, the URL/page appropriate to that login appears but the two existing logins are offered.  I can delete the offered login (which sometimes comes back as I’m typing) and can input the correct one but there’s no offer from ID Safe to save the new login.  I note that there is no option in vault settings for log in capture.
  7. On the address bar icon settings page , autosave logins is ticked, however.
  8. I think the issue is particular to Gmail in that when clicking on the Gmail icon, you either get put straight into the account last used and not exited or, if not logged into one account, to the page listing accounts.
  9. I did a check on another website, putting in a rubbish password.  I was informed that IDS had saved my new password!  Fortunately, it’s a site I rarely visit and it wasn’t fooled by the junk password anyway.  That’s not very good is it?  Why wasn’t I asked if I wanted to save it?
  10. Even if I could get IDS to recognise each individual account, would I still be faced with a list of logins to choose from instead of what happens with LastPass, which offers the correct login for each account?

I think it may be simpler to stick with LastPass!  Before I do, I'm going to have a look at exporting the logins from LastPass and importing them into IDS, assuming that's a LastPass option and it won't delete any IDS-specific logins.  I'll check it out and report back.

Ian

Kudos0

Hi all,

Update:  After reading similar threads, and wrestling with IDS, particularly on Gmail, I've decided to abandon ship and revert to Lastpass.  It's so much easier to use.  I'll monitor traffic on IDS meanwhile, just in case the identified shortcomings are sorted out.

Ian

Kudos0

Ian

1. When I sign on to IDS, the icon in the address bar doesn’t change colour, already discussed, but important.
    It could be that this is what the designers wanted? But many users have commented on this and it could be in an update in the future.
  2. If I click on “online vault” on the address bar icon, I get the ID Safe download web page! https://identitysafe.norton.com/
    It was noted in the product announcement that there would be no viewing or editing the logins. This is just a work around for now to get access to the vault.
  3. Thus, if I want to look at the logins in the vault, I have to open up N360 as there is no facility via the address bar icon, AND, I have to sign into the vault again.
    The issue of logging in twice between FF and another method to access the vault has already been reported.
  4. I'm set up such that 5 Gmail accounts are offered when I click on the Gmail icon on the bookmarks bar.  Whichever I choose, I only get two logins offered (as was the case, I think, last time).  These accounts exist as accounts.google and accounts.google 1.
    And if you look at your logins from 360, how many Gmail logins do you see?
  5. The URL is different for each login, once I select one, so you'd think IDS should be able to differentiate, but if I try to set up a new login I can’t copy and paste that URL into the form.
    In your Gmail example, there should only be one URL. It would be the login name/email address that sends you to the right email account.
  6. If I want one of the logins that isn’t prompted for, the URL/page appropriate to that login appears but the two existing logins are offered.  I can delete the offered login (which sometimes comes back as I’m typing) and can input the correct one but there’s no offer from ID Safe to save the new login.  This is because of your setting in point 7 below. You have told ID Safe to AutoSave logins. So you will not be prompted.
    I note that there is no option in vault settings for log in capture.
  8. I think the issue is particular to Gmail in that when clicking on the Gmail icon, you either get put straight into the account last used and not exited or, if not logged into one account, to the page listing accounts.
    At that point, if you click on Add Account, below the list of Gmail accounts, do all your Gmail logins show up?
  9. I did a check on another website, putting in a rubbish password.  I was informed that IDS had saved my new password!  Fortunately, it’s a site I rarely visit and it wasn’t fooled by the junk password anyway.  That’s not very good is it?  Why wasn’t I asked if I wanted to save it?
    See your setting in point 7 above, and my explanation in point 6.
  10. Even if I could get IDS to recognise each individual account, would I still be faced with a list of logins to choose from instead of what happens with LastPass, which offers the correct login for each account?
    Not sure what exactly is shown with Lastpass. If we are still talking on the Gmail example, when I go to Gmail.com, I get a list of the accounts I have signed into. When I choose one account, I get the list of logins for Gmail. I choose the correct one and get logged in.

It sounds like your issue is with the way Norton handles the Gmail site. You do not mention problems with other sites. And it is not an issue with the new FF extension. It has worked that way all along for me in the old Toolbar version.

You can report a site to the ID Safe team from your product. You need to do this from the old Toolbar in IE or Chrome.

Navigate to the login page you are having problems with. Then click on Vault is Open on the Norton Toolbar. Then click on Options beside Current Site. From there click on Report an issue with this site. Then follow the directions.

Kudos0

I have been working with ID Safe in FF since 1 Sep and find that, as far as it goes, it works well.  But there is one problem (that I mentioned previously) and which is developing into a deal-breaker.  That is the fact that the FF ID Safe extension cannot recognize that the vault has been opened in another program (NIS, IE, or whatever) and, similarly, other programs cannot recognize that the vault has been opened in FF.  Consequently, restarting FF closes the vault (as far as FF knows).

In my work, I use a number of apps that strongly suggest closing the browser after logging off the app.  There are also two apps which I routinely use with several different logins (requiring a browser restart with every login change).  The result is that I restart FF literally dozens of times on some days.  So, in order to use ID Safe, I must log into the vault dozens of times a day. 

I am hoping for a fix for this problem, but have not seen anything promised or proposed so far.

Thanks for any news on this.

John

Kudos0

Hi Peter,

Thanks for taking the time to respond.  I'll reply in the same vein:

It could be that this is what the designers wanted? But many users have commented on this and it could be in an update in the future.
    IAN:The original version had the IDS icon light up when active, which is an important feature.  It does so on LastPass.
    It was noted in the product announcement that there would be no viewing or editing the logins. This is just a work around for now to get access to the vault.
    IAN: OK.
    The issue of logging in twice between FF and another method to access the vault has already been reported.
    IAN:
    OK.
    And if you look at your logins from 360, how many Gmail logins do you see?
    IAN:
    As I said, I get two.  I must have found a way to get the second one logged, somewhere back in the mists of time, but the only way to do it now seems to be to manually input the URL
  5. The URL is different for each login, once I select one, so you'd think IDS should be able to differentiate, but if I try to set up a new login I can’t copy and paste that URL into the form.  I can't be bothered.
    In your Gmail example, there should only be one URL. It would be the login name/email address that sends you to the right email account.
    IAN:
    If I don't exit Gmail when I quit FF, when I click on the Gmail bookmark next time I go online I get that Gmail account opening up, with the URL: https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#inbox If I close that account I get, for want of a better expression, a "master page" with all five of my alternative emails listed.  See attached screen cap.  URL is: https://accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin?service=mail&passive=true&rm=fa... When I click on one of them, I get login page for that account, each with it's unique URL mentioned above, which I assume is what IDS needs to offer me the correct login.  Even when I select one of the two that IDS recognises, I get both logins offered, when the URL should point to just the right one.
  6. If I want one of the logins that isn’t prompted for, the URL/page appropriate to that login appears but the two existing logins are offered.  I can delete the offered login (which sometimes comes back as I’m typing) and can input the correct one but there’s no offer from ID Safe to save the new login.  This is because of your setting in point 7 below. You have told ID Safe to AutoSave logins. So you will not be prompted.
    IAN:
    Where's the option to capture the unrecognised login?
    At that point, if you click on Add Account, below the list of Gmail accounts, do all your Gmail logins show up?
    IAN:
    See above.
    See your setting in point 7 above, and my explanation in point 6.
    IAN:
    I still think there should be an option to accept an input.
    Not sure what exactly is shown with Lastpass. If we are still talking on the Gmail example, when I go to Gmail.com, I get a list of the accounts I have signed into. When I choose one account, I get the list of logins for Gmail. I choose the correct one and get logged in.
    IAN: I
    n LastPass, which is what I've gone back to, I get the same "master page" attached but when I select any of the accounts, I get the correct login, not a list of five to pick from. Much more convenient.

On jboland's comment, I'm not sure I understand, but with LastPass (I'm not on commission!), it's set so that it stays "up" even when I log off FF and only closes when I put the PC to sleep or go over an idle time limit.

I hope all that makes sense.

Ian

Kudos0

Ian

The points about the Gmail Site need to be reported to Norton as I suggested above. They are not specific to the new FF extension.

IAN: Where's the option to capture the unrecognised login?

IAN: I still think there should be an option to accept an input.

If you turn off the Auto Save Logins, you should be given a prompt when you enter a new login.

Remember this is still an 'Early Adopter version' that hopefully will improve with age.

Kudos0

Thanks Peter,

I'll report the Gmail issue to Norton as suggested, but will stick to LastPass for now.

Thanks again,

Ian

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.