• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos1 Stats

Is Downgrade from Version 22.5.0.124 possible?

Following on from my earlier post "False Positives" it seem clear that having now read a number of posts on the forum that there is a problem with the latest incarnation of NS/NIS.

I only "upgraded" on my desktop (manually via check for newer version) because the latest version had automatically installed on my laptop via Liveupdate. I was blissfully unaware of the problems............I was also not aware of the Norton Security/Norton Internet Security situation........that'll teach me not to jump in with both feet in future!

Full system scans on my relatively new laptop (2 months old) have not produced the deluge of apparently "high risk" files that have been "uncovered" on my desktop.

Now I am aware of the version 22.5.0.124 over-sensitivity I was wondering if a re-installation the earlier version I have from the original DVD would be successful whilst we wait for Symantec to sort out their "heuristic engine".

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Is Downgrade from Version 22.5.0.124 possible?

hi Faberi

You may find some of the posts in this thread useful:

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/norton-360-version-2250124

Michael

Kudos0

Hi faberi,

Since you are talking about NIS and the other thread that Michael listed is referring to N 360, you can use the following link to download the NIS:

http://buy-download.norton.com/downloads/2014/21.6/NISNAV/US/NIS-ESD-21.6.0.32-EN.exe

Kudos0

Hello

In order to go back to NIS 21.6, you first have to uninstall NIS 22.5 from your computer. Please uninstall using the control panel method and reboot. Then you have to use the Norton Removal Tool and reboot. After doing this, then you can use the link that yank has provided. By doing this method, you will have a clean install of 21.6 As soon as you have installed it, please turn off Automatic Download of New Version in the Settings. You can then run Live Update and get all the updates, rebooting when necessary. You can also update to version 21.7.0.11 and get the appropriate version  of the Norton Toolbar.  Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.3.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

faberi, Complete instructions are included in this post which is in the link Michael supplied, all you have to do is substitute the NIS download I sup0ploied above for the N 360 download in those instructions.  That link also includes the link for the Norton Removal Tool as well as Exporting/Importing your Identity safe login if you use the vault.

BTW, there is no need to try to use the original DVD as that will be a much earlier version than the 21.6 supplied and you will be running many more updates to get it up to date.

Please let us know how things go.

Kudos0

Thanks guys, the information and advice you have provided is greatly appreciated.

John

Kudos0

Guys,

Had the same problem yesterday - MANY heuristic viruses foun after upgrade to 22 most of which seemed to be associated with genuine programs. Followed yank and flopots advice and have reverted back to NIS21 for now. Any ideas if and when Norton will "advise" of fix or is it just "trial and error" trying to find out ?

Thanks.

Kudos0

Glad you got it sorted mikegphilip. 

In regards to a fix, I suggest you continue to watch the forums for the announcement of a fix - Norton never gives an estimated fix date - so it is just a matter of checking  here and the Product Announcements.  You may also Subscribe to those announcements by using the Options button at the top of that link.

Kudos0

Thanks Yank - by the way - did a full system scan today with NIS21 - back to normal > 1M files scanned and only tracking cookies found :)

Kudos0

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.3.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.