• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Error: "3019,1" happening too often with NS v22 & Windows 10

I have Norton Security (non backup version) latest version and all updates/patches installed and after all the flannel about compatibility with an upgrade to Windows 10 (I was running Windows 7 Home Premium)  this is in practice just hogwash as Error: "3019,1" is happening too often to be acceptable. What's the excuse? Especially when other software and hardware including a printer and scanner since the upgrade works just fine. Symantec always has to be the spanner in the works when everything else JUST WORKS.

We are paying for this software to just work and if Error: "3019,1" for all the claims about compatibility with Windows 10 is happening in my experience too often does this not raise questions  as to whether Symantec really knows or cares about what it is doing? And what guarantee is there that uninstallation/reinstallation (that compatibility was supposed to make unnecessary as Norton Security was supposed to be designed with Windows 10 in mind) will make any difference?

Error: "3019,1" used to sometimes happen even with Windows 7 but not to this current extent and if the patches of late are supposed to deal with issues like this it aint working.

Make it work, make it work. That's supposed to the concept Symantec.Make it work!

Labels: Windows 10

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Error: "3019,1" happening too often with NS v22 & Windows 10

hi Securitysceptic

Do you have or have you had any other brand of AV program on your laptop, even a trial version from when you purchased it? If so it would help to use that brand's removal tool from the Company website even if the software has been uninstalled.

You may wish to read, if not already done so, some information on the subject and how to stop the error code appearing you can find it in the link below:

Error 3901,1 KB Article 

Michael

Kudos0

Hi Michael. No that's not really the issue here.When this Laptop (Dell Studio 1558) was brand new in 2010 it had MacAfee preinstalled but as I already had Norton Internet Security 2010 (upgrading after laptop installation to later versions upon availability) with the previous PC one of my first acts with the laptop was uninstallation of MacAfee and apart from temporarily using Windows Firewall/Defender during installations/ reinstallations of Norton for such things as operating system problems that using even System Image wouldn't solve without having to use the PC factory reset 99% of the time this laptop has been using Norton Internet Security and now Norton Security most of that time just fine. (Sometimes an error like this would happen when running Windows 7 but not that often.)

I think it something Microsoft and Symantec are getting wrong (probably more the latter) with the Windows 10 upgrade and its the usual the error message might as well be written in Chinese for all it actually explains for relevancy to your particular issue it isn't a general one.

Symantec itself having anything to say to us here would be much appreciated as well.

Kudos0

hi Securitysceptic

Whilst I understand you uninstalled McAfee did you use their Removal Tool to completely uninstall as far as possible the software.

You appear to have had the problem for some time with both Windows 7 and Windows 10 the Norton related article does advise uninstalling any non Norton security products. A simple uninstall always leaves remnants of the program behind. 

Anything left over by McAfee may be interfereing with the proper running of Norton.

I didn't think to mention earlier do you have Fast Start-up enabled for Windows 10 this can interfere with the proper working of Norton and other programs. A number of users have advised that once turned off it has solved some problems with Norton.

If you are not familiar with Fast Start-up there is information and instructions in the link below:

Windows 10 Fast Start-up 

Michael

Kudos0

Hi Michael.

Appreciate your input but I'm confident that MacAfee has always on a fresh installation of Windows 7 and the software suite accompanying it been correctly uninstalled in the control panel with the removal tool as when uninstalling there have always been messages confirming if that's what's really wanted before proceeding and the usual stuff in the uninstallation wizard about it being removed from the registry and requiring computer restart for it to take full effect. No investigation of this PC before or after upgrading to Windows 10 shows any remaining legacy of it. In the years I have been using NIS before installing Norton Security an error like  "3019,1" may have came up on loading Windows 7 but that really really was at most once in a blue moon (so few times as to be really considered anything other than a probable issue with Symantec and nothing else) and in the months when using the latest Norton Security with Windows 7 there was no problem I can recollect like that even once.

(The problem with error messages as I understand it is that they can pertain to more than one issue which is what's so infuriating about them. )

Still getting to grips with some of Windows 10's nooks and crannies and it very possibly (if not probably) is on Fast Start Up so I shall bear adjusting that in mind if the error keeps recurring as a possible workaround. (Though that would be annoying as one of the advantages of Windows 10,like the less well received Windows 8, is supposed to be it not being as hardware resource hungry as Windows 7 was with faster loading and shutdown speeds.)

Since I was last here there has been yet another Norton Security patch so we maybe also just have to see if their aware of a general issue(s) people are having and trying to solve it.

If so some official acknowledgement when something like this happens from them would be appreciated.

Kudos0

hi Securitysceptic

You may subscribe to Norton Bloggs if you would find it useful to do this Click on the Orange Options>Subscribe: this Blogg near the top of the page in the link below, you will receive email notification regarding new entries made:

Norton Product Update Announcements

I trust you will find it useful if not you can unsubscription from the same place once the Subscription option has been chosen.

I have no idea what difference Fast Start-up has on my laptop as I've not used it when enabled although my Surface Pro 2 tablet starts almost instantaniously with it off.

I have no further suggestion at the moment in respect of the reason for your post, I'll try to find more information, should I discover anything I will post it here. In the meantime other users will no doubt visit your thread and may be able to offer suggestions. Please post here if you find anything which would assist as I'm sure other users have come across this particular problem and would find any solution you find helpful.

Michael

Kudos0

Hello

I assume you have disabled Windows Defender if it isn't already done. That could also interfere.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.3.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Yes of course. Windows Security settings still report that Windows Firewall/ Defender both deactivated and Norton Security doing the job of both.

Think what it comes down to is that for all their fanfare about preparing Norton Security for Windows 10 full compatibility this company with a new Windows operating system ALWAYS gets it wrong and it would be a halleluiah sing hosanna moment if it all just perfectly worked. That will be the day.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.