• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Firefox 14.0.1. and IE 9 running slow since Norton 360 Instilation (Windows 7)

I recently installed Norton 360 on my Toshiba laptop running Windows 7, and as soon as I did my browsers slowed to a crawl. I've tried to disable the Norton add-ons/toolbars, only to discover they were never active. In Firefox, the Norton toolbar 2012.7.3.1. is incompatable with Firefox 14.0.1.

Also, since the instilation the RealPlayer Browser Record Plugin 15.0.5. is listed as known to cause security or stability issues.

I've read other forums where people install updates and such to fix the compatability issue with the Norton Toolbar. Will fixing this problem speed up my browsing? Pre Norton I had a 3 second load time for my homepage, now it takes a full minute or more (The speed problem is with both browsers. )

Is there a way to fix this? I really like Norton but I like the internet better.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Firefox 14.0.1. and IE 9 running slow since Norton 360 Instilation (Windows 7)

I recently installed Norton 360 on my Toshiba laptop running Windows 7, and as soon as I did my browsers slowed to a crawl. I've tried to disable the Norton add-ons/toolbars, only to discover they were never active. In Firefox, the Norton toolbar 2012.7.3.1. is incompatable with Firefox 14.0.1.

Also, since the instilation the RealPlayer Browser Record Plugin 15.0.5. is listed as known to cause security or stability issues.

I've read other forums where people install updates and such to fix the compatability issue with the Norton Toolbar. Will fixing this problem speed up my browsing? Pre Norton I had a 3 second load time for my homepage, now it takes a full minute or more (The speed problem is with both browsers. )

Is there a way to fix this? I really like Norton but I like the internet better.

Kudos0

Re: Firefox 14.0.1. and IE 9 running slow since Norton 360 Instilation (Windows 7)

Hi SaraCG,

Which antivirus program were you running prior to installing N 360?  How did you remove it?  Via Control Panel > Programs & Features or did you remove it from there and then followup with that product's removal tool?  Any AV product previously installed needs to be comepletly removed prior to installing Norton.  If you do not completely remove the former product, it can cause conflicts and slow your system to a crawl.

In regards to the N 360 install.  Have you run LiveUpdate (rebooting as requested) as many times as it takes for LiveUpdate to respond "no updates found"? 

Please reply with the asnwers to our qustions.

Kudos0

When I went to install Norton it asked me to remove my previous anti-virus. Which was AVG 2012 (Free Version.) I deleted it through add and remove programs, then manually cleaned up the leftover files that was left in my programs folder, ect.

Yes, I've fully updated Norton. The Norton Toolbar is working fine now. Although there is a Realplayer browser plug in that was flagged as a security threat, so I disabled it. There was no change. I've even started FF with the Add-ons disabled, that didn't have an effect either. If anything, it made it worse.

My system is working fine, even better than it did pre-Norton. The internet/browswers are the problem. I have another computer on the same network, with the same browser and AV, (Although the plug-ins are different.) and it runs perfectly.

Kudos0

Hi SaraCG,

Thanks for the feedback - however I am a bit confused.  You say the NTB is working fine, you disabled the Real Player plug-in and your system is running even better than it did pre-Norton - yet the internent browsers are the problem.????

You mention another computer on the same network, with the same browser and AV (although differnet plug-ins) and it runs perfectly.

I guess the best starting point is for you to tell us which browser (IE 9 ?) and which AV and also the version numbers of the plug-ins you are running on the other computer - or do you mean you are running other plug-ins - not necessarily related to Norton??

I am going to ask you to please go to the following link and select the correct AVG remover ( 32 bit or 64 bit) to match your Windows 7 system and download and run it and see if it helps any.  http://www.avg.com/us-en/utilities

Please post back with the addtional info we asked for, as well as the results fo running the AVG removal Tool.

Kudos0

Yes, I'm sorry. My mind tends to jump ahead of me.

I have two different computers, each one running:

Firefox 14.0.1

IE 9

Norton 360

Norton Toolbar 2012.7.4.1

Norton Vulnerability Protection 11.0.0.243 - 2

I meant the slow computer, (this one) has plug-ins that the other computer doesn't. (I just reinstalled the operating system of the other computer. I was getting it ready for my little sister, so the add-ons for it are all firefox, google, Norton, and adobe related.)

In the beginning, Norton Toolbar was listed as incompatable. I updated as suggested on another page of this forum, and while the toolbar is now functional, the browsers are still slow.

The difference between the Plugins is that I (On the broken computer, but NOT the fast computer) am running Realplayer Browser Record Plugin 15.0.5.  In FF, under the Add-ons page, this plugin was outlined in red, and listed as a risk. So I disabled it, but my browsers are still terribly slow.

The problem started right after installing Norton. My computers performance has improved.(i.e. programs open faster, my games run seamlessly, ect.)  It's only the browsers that are slow.

I did some digging and after testing the Realplayer plugin on the fast computer, I don't believe it is the problem. I went into Nortons Vulnerability protection and it has 11 adobe programs listed as 'Vulnerable', including Adobe Shockwave player, Adobe flash player, and Adobe Flashplayer plugin.

Could Norton be restricting these programs? Is it normal for these programs to be listed as Vulnerable? 

Also, I ran the AVG program you told me to, and I'm not sure of the results. Once I ran the program, it told me to close everything and then start. I did that, and the command lines flew by so fast I couldn't read it, It then closed itself as well. I never saw any results screen,and I wasn't asked to restart.

Kudos0

SaraCG wrote:

Yes, I'm sorry. My mind tends to jump ahead of me.

I have two different computers, each one running:

Firefox 14.0.1

IE 9

Norton 360

Norton Toolbar 2012.7.4.1

Norton Vulnerability Protection 11.0.0.243 - 2

I meant the slow computer, (this one) has plug-ins that the other computer doesn't. (I just reinstalled the operating system of the other computer. I was getting it ready for my little sister, so the add-ons for it are all firefox, google, Norton, and adobe related.) 

Perhaps if you would disable the addtional plug-ins (one at a time) and see if it has any effect on the borwsers, you may be able to se which plug-in is possibly causing the slow down?

In the beginning, Norton Toolbar was listed as incompatable. I updated as suggested on another page of this forum, and while the toolbar is now functional, the browsers are still slow.

The difference between the Plugins is that I (On the broken computer, but NOT the fast computer) am running Realplayer Browser Record Plugin 15.0.5.  In FF, under the Add-ons page, this plugin was outlined in red, and listed as a risk. So I disabled it, but my browsers are still terribly slow.

The problem started right after installing Norton. My computers performance has improved.(i.e. programs open faster, my games run seamlessly, ect.)  It's only the browsers that are slow.

I did some digging and after testing the Realplayer plugin on the fast computer, I don't believe it is the problem. I went into Nortons Vulnerability protection and it has 11 adobe programs listed as 'Vulnerable', including Adobe Shockwave player, Adobe flash player, and Adobe Flashplayer plugin.

What you say makes sense to me. 

Could Norton be restricting these programs? Is it normal for these programs to be listed as Vulnerable? 

My Vulnerability Protection listing also includes 11 Adobe programs - I'm sure they are the same as yours as they include everything you stated.

Also, I ran the AVG program you told me to, and I'm not sure of the results. Once I ran the program, it told me to close everything and then start. I did that, and the command lines flew by so fast I couldn't read it, It then closed itself as well. I never saw any results screen,and I wasn't asked to restart.

Please let us know if anything changes with the disabling of the addtional plug-ins.

Kudos0

Manually disabled every add-on and extension, both individually and all at once. No change.

I also went through the respective menu's and restarted firefox and IE without add-on's just to be sure, no change there either.

Kudos0

Hi SaraCG,

I am running out of answers/suggestions.  Perhaps if you totally uninstall that Realplayer Browser Record Plugin 15.0.5 it might do something to speed things up.  Only other thing I can think of it is to double check that Windows Defender and Windows Firewall are disabled and perhpas ensure all N 360 settings are in the Default position.

I am no expert in the networking area - so I do not know if there cold be anything in that area that woudl cause the browsers to slow down.

Kudos0

Should my browsers be allowed through my firewall???

Kudos0

SaraCG wrote:

Should my browsers be allowed through my firewall???

Yes, - if you have doubts - Select Settings from the main page of N 360  then Firewall and then General Tab and then select Reset +  on the Firewall Reset option.  This will return all your settings to the normal default settings which will permit your browsers thru the firewall.

Kudos0

Did it, also got rid of Norton Identity Protection, my browser speed shows significant improvement.

It's not quite up to par, but it's better.

I'm beginning to suspect the rest of the lagging problem is with my wireless internet. I noticed today that my PS3 was lagging as well. Taking forever to sign in to the PSN Network, online play lagging, ect.

I'm going to connect to an Ethernet cable and maybe contact my ISP and see if I can get any answers.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.