• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Firefox 23 NVP stuck at 11.1.0.73 and disabled

I reinstalled NIS yesterday and have since rebooted several times each time live updating the suite. The main Norton app has been brought up to v20.4.0.40 without problems and Firefox Norton Toolbar is at v2013.4.2.2, but the Vulnerability Protection plugin in Firefox 23 is still at v11.1.0.73 -1 and is greyed out and disabled. My understanding is that it should be at 11.4.0.6 -1.

Live update shows no more available updates even after several consequent reboot and shutdown cycles. I also uninstalled Firefox today, wiped its profile folder and then reinstalled, but the issue remains. NVP stays greyed out and disabled at v11.1.0.73-1.

Is it an issue on my end or has Symantec again held back the latest NVP version due to some incompatibility as was the case a month or so ago?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Firefox 23 NVP stuck at 11.1.0.73 and disabled

Hi DhulKarmain,

I understand what you are saying about running LiveUpdate and getting the response "no more available updates" - Please run LiveUpdate (rebooting as requested) until your receive the specific response of "no updates found" as shown below.  You are totally updated when you see that response and not before.

Also, you are correct, the NVP should be 11.4.0.6-1 and tot he best ofmy knowledge was updated via LiveUpdate sometime after the 20.4.0.40 version update - so it may take a few runs of LiveUpdate to get it.

If no joy please post back and we'll go from there.

Kudos0

Yes, that is the message I'm getting - No updates found.

I restarted several times today, ran Live Update and still the NVP plugin remains at 11.1.0.73. Basically the same behaviour that happened when Firefox 22 and NVP had an incompatibility issue in June/July.

So I'm guessing Symantec again disabled delivering the updates of NVP plugin downloads from their repositories. But for what reason and why weren't we notified?

Kudos0

I  feel the following may be worth a try.

Please open Run by pressing windows key + R -> devmgmt.msc -> View Show

Hidden devices -> open Non-Plug and Play Drivers-> Maximize the Screen

If you have a identity safe data back it up ->

Go to Control panel uninstall NIS ->select the second option to

completely uninstall ->restart -> Run Norton Removal Tool -> Restart ->

Go to the screenshot page -> if you find   NAVENG, NAVEX15, Norton Antivirus settings manager, starting from Symantec

Data Store to SymEvent (entries starting with Sym)  ->right click on them

click uninstall -> For the Restart prompts select no -> Goto Program files

if you find Norton Folder delete it -> Go to Run ->type temp ->Delete all

the files in there -> Run -> %temp% ->delete all ->Now Restart the PC -

>Install Norton Internet Security ->Run Live Update until you get no updates found

message ->restart PC 

Let us know how it went for you.

Kudos0

I just installed Norton Business Suite and have the same problem.  After all the updates and patches, I still have IPS 11.1.0.73 installed.  I did notice that one update failed to apply a few times, but after running Live Update several times and applying all the patches, eventually Live Update says there's no more updates. 

The ipsbho.dll file installed is from last year and is version 11.1.0.73.

Kudos0

I tried uninstalling, running Norton Remove tool and redownloading and reinstalling.

I then ran Live Update over and over until it said there were no updates.  I didn't get any errors, but I still don't have the latest version.  I have version "11.1.1.5 - 2" now.

Kudos0

I think I figured out the problem .  The file to check for the update for 11.4.0.6 -1 appears to have been removed from the Live Update servers.

See http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Toolbar-Norton-Identity/Norton-Vulnerability-Protection-IDS-11-4-0-6-1-update-missing/td-p/1006409

Kudos0

I agree, this is the most likely explanation, further indicated by the fact that, besides the two of us, another Norton user also reported not getting the latest NVP today. Surely, even more people will post on this forum in the coming days as they reinstall their suites for whatever reason and notice the outdated Firefox plugin, if this issue doesn't get fixed soon.

Thank you for your research.

Kudos0

Interesting. That certainly would explain the difficulties I've been experiencing.

I'd also like to thank you for looking into this.
Windows 8.1 Pro x64 -- NIS 21.3.0.12; MBAM Pro (non realtime); SAS Pro(non realtime)
Kudos0

First things first.

Can we please find out which Norton Product (and version) each of you are running?

I know  Morac said he was running Norton Business Suite which is a Comast offering and is in fact called Norton Internet Security Online - which is offered by the ISP and thus has some differences from the retail NIS.  They also had a trial NIS installed which they have not told us how they totally removed it prior to installing Comcast's version, Although they claim to have used the NRT a few times since.  It appears they are running Win 7

Ambrobx (the other user) is running NIS 20.4.0.40 on Win 8

DhulKarmin is on NIS 20.4.0.40 (I eithr missed it or he didn't tell us his OS).

Thus there are chances different things could be happening.

DhuKarmin - did you bother to try my suggestion a few posts above?

Morac - I'm getting ready to respond to your other post about the missing download from the server.  I'd like to keep that info over there.

Kudos0

First off I am new at this so forgive me if this is in the wrong spot I tried to post this at the top where it says ask a question but i kept getting my sentence stopped. I am running Comcast Norton Security Suite 20.4.0.40 fresh install and my Firefox Norton Toolbar is at v2013.4.2.2, but the Vulnerability Protection plugin in Firefox 23 is still at v11.1.0.73 -1 and is greyed out and disabled. My understanding is that it should be at 11.4.0.6 -1. I am having the same issue as others on this post. I just installed it today. Since im not the only one that this happened to maybe Norton took the update out I also ran live update over and over and restarted over and over till it said you are up to date and there are no more updates. I have windows 8 64- bit.  Also want to say Yank can you please help and I have seen and read your posts on comcast and norton forums you are a great help to all who need it. Thank You again.

Kudos0

Hi philly215,

Thanks for the info and it is OK being new - we all were at one time - some of us may years ago!  LOL

Since you are running NSS this is still a different program that appears to be acting the same way.  In the past the NTB being updated was sometimes a problem, but never NVP.  I see you are also on Win 8.

I am going to contact Norton and see if we can't get some assistance from them on this matter as it appears on different Norton products and different operating systems.

In the meantime, the more info we can gatrher in regards to operating system and Norton program (and version) the more help we might be to Norton.

Kudos0

So do you need more info from me or should i just wait to see what happens when you contact Norton? I am not that computer savvy lol, never had this problem before like you said it was always the toolbar that wasn't compatible. I had to uninstall NSS last night and NVP was working and when i reinstalled it NVP was disabled feel like a idiot for uninstalling now. Thanks  

Kudos0

OK, I just finished reinstalling Norton exactly as per your instructions, yank.

After many reboots and updates,  the LiveUpdate window finally says - No updates found.

The relevant installed software is as follows:

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1

Norton Internet Security Online 20.4.0.40 (english language, provided by Iskon - a Croatian ISP; their setup file installs NIS 20.1.0.24)

Firefox 23.0 with these Norton plugins:

Norton Toolbar 2013.4.2.2 (enabled)

Norton Vulnerability Protection 11.1.0.73 - 1 (disabled)

There were no hidden Norton/Symantec drivers left before the installation (screenshot) and there were no errors at any point during the installation process or the subsequent updating. However, the NVP plugin did not get updated (screenshot).

Kudos0

Both of us installed an old version of the respective program which needed to update to 20.4.0.40 first.  I'm thinking maybe the IPS plugin may have gotten lost during that update or something.

I'm wondering if the problem is less to do with the missing files and more to do with upgrading from an older version.  Especially since it doesn't look like the ipsbho.dll file needed to be updated.  On my home PC it's still 11.1.0.73 and dated 4/23/2013.  That differs from my work PC (NBS) which is also 11.1.0.73, but dated 11/15/2012.  I plan to compare the files on Monday.

I checked my home PC running NIS 20.4.0.40 and it has the correct plugin, but it doesn't have the missing LUE download file either.. It may be possible that the norton$20confidential$20browser$20toolbar$20plugin_2013_symalllanguages_livetri.zip update is supposed to update both the IPS and Norton Toolbar addons.  I'm thinking that the coFFPlgn.dll file is somehow supposed to build the IPSFF23.dll file in that is part of the actual addon.  Mine is dated 8/14/2013.  Unlike the coFFPlgn.ddl file, the iPSFFPl.ddl file is not in the actual Norton program folder in the Program Files directory.

For what it's worth on my home PC, the downloaded livetri files this month (after FF23 was released)

8/03/2013  12:44           2,831  wax$20rules$20set_1.0_symalllanguages_livetri.zip
 8/03/2013  13:04           2,989  norton$202013$20web$20protection$20definitions_microdefsb.jul_symalllanguages_livetri.zip
 8/06/2013  18:24           3,191  norton$20confidential$20browser$20toolbar$20plugin_2013_symalllanguages_livetri.zip
 8/10/2013  10:23           3,029  norton$202013$20submission$20control$20data_108_symalllanguages_livetri.zip
 8/14/2013  22:13           3,654  norton$202013$20ips$20definitions_microdefsb.curdefs_symalllanguages_livetri.zip
 8/16/2013  18:58           3,644  norton$202013$20web$20protection$20definitions_microdefsb.curdefs_symalllanguages_livetri.zip
 8/16/2013  18:58           5,033  norton$202013$20core$20virus$20definitions_microdefsb.curdefs_symalllanguages_livetri.zip
 8/16/2013  18:58           3,548  norton$202013$20iron$20whitelist_microdefsb.curdefs_symalllanguages_livetri.zip
 8/16/2013  18:58           3,971  norton$202013$20antispam$20definitions_microdefsb.curdefs_symalllanguages_livetri.zip
 8/16/2013  18:58           3,417 norton$202013$20behavior$20and$20security$20heuristics_microdefsb.curdefs_symalllanguages_livetri.zip
 8/16/2013  18:58           2,837  norton$202013$20safe$20web$20statistics_1.0_symalllanguages_livetri.zip
 8/16/2013  18:58           8,023  norton$202013$20iron$20revocation$20list_microdefsb.curdefs_symalllanguages_livetri.zip
 8/16/2013  19:09           3,378  norton$202009$20streaming$20virus$20definitions_1.0_symalllanguages_livetri.zip

Kudos0

Is anyone besides Morac running FF 23.0.1?

Morac - just for testing, can you install using this link? 

http://norton.com/latestnis  it should be 20.4.0.40 nd the updating should be smaller.

Kudos1 Stats

I was on Firefox 23.0 for about two hours with the fully updated cleanly installed NIS, and then Firefox got upgraded to 23.0.1 sometime after midnight last night and the problem remained. I don't think it has anything to with the NVP problem.

NVP plugin was incompatible before and after Firefox recevived its update to 23.0.1

Kudos0

Thanks for the feedback!  I was just curious as the orginal NVP situation was caused by a late minute change in FF22 after Norton had an update developed.  So much for that idea!

Kudos0

I have lost hope with Norton and their ability to fix the NVP Firefox problem. I think it's CIS time, at least I don't have to worry about non working browser plug-ins.

Kudos0

I am on Firefox 23.0.1 today, yesterday i was on 23.0 and still NVP is disabled on both Firefox versions. So where do we go from here does Norton know when you install their product ( Comcast NSS) is what im using, installed yesterday that the NVP is disabled. Will this problem be fixed? Thanks for any help we can get on our situation.

Kudos0

Hi philly215,

Sorry I missed your post last night.  Yes Norton knows when you install thei product from Comcast - in a round about way - yu are added to their data base as a NSS user.

This problem will be fixed - but until Norton acknowledges thatit is a problem and they start working on it - we can not do much about it.   It has been reported to Norotn - although I have not recieved any word back yet (it is the weekend).

There has been a situation with NVP in the past and it took some time to fix, so all we can do at present is wait for Norton.  I know not a good answer - but the best I have.

Kudos0

OK thanks yank I guess i have to wait and continue to check back to this forum and hope this gets fixed soon. I will still use Firefox without NVP because I read we are still protected with Norton or will use chrome as another choice of browser. Thanks again Yank an hope to hear that Norton can come up with a solution sooner than later.

Kudos1 Stats

Hi all, 

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Our team is looking into this issue.

Could you please share the screenshot of the issue which shows the disabled add-on?

Mohanakrishnan G | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos1 Stats

Hi, Mohan_G,

One of my previous posts containts the screenshot. Everything is still the same, except that Firefox got upgraded in the meantime to 23.0.1. But several forum members established that the issue was there even before the FF update.

EDIT: Here's a new screenshot together with the outdated ipsbho.dll properties window.

Kudos0

This morning on my work laptop I update Firefox to 23.0.1 and  the Norton Vulnerability Protection addon updated itself to version "12.0.0.380 - 1" (presumably after doing a Live Update) and it can now be enabled.

Last I checked, my home PC was on version "11.4.0.6 - 1", which could also be enabled.  I was actually going to compare things this morning.  On a side note, the ipsbho.dll file is a red herring.  Depite the date differences, the file is identical on both my home and work PC, even before the update this morning.

Kudos0

Let me add a  to Morac's post.  My NVP Add-on updated to 12.0.0.380-1 also on my Comcast Norton Security Suite, whille my NIS v 20.4.0.40 remains at 11.4.0.6-1.  Both enabled and both wokring.

From my NSS history:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Toolbar-Norton-Identity/ff23-0-1-and-nvp-12-0-0-380-1/m-p/1007565#M12873

Kudos0

Same here, on two systems with Win7-x32 NVP is still not compatible with FF23.0.1 :

- On one system uninstall V2012 through Programs and Services and direct reinstall of V20 from Norton account.

On this system I retried with the 'latestnis' link and NRT, but no success.

- On another system overinstall from V2012 to V20 direct from Norton account

The quick fix to NVP through IPS definitions 20130720.001 seems to be lost in the download version or on the LiveUpdate servers; see announcement :

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Toolbar-Norton-Identity/Norton-Vulnerability-Protection-Update-is-available/td-p/994455

Regards, Hugo

W10 1809 and 1903 / W10 Insider / IE11 and FF 67, TB 60.7, NS 22.17, (Android 7 with NMS)
Kudos0

Hmmm...

Still waiting for it to arrive on a brand new Win-8Pro HP Notebook.  Interestingly, its NIS2013 came pre-installed on the NB by HP - It's now on day two of the included 60 day trial license key ...

This is the only recalcitrant one of the bunch - all the other systems have updated to the latest FF NVP release...

Kind regards,

John

Kudos0

Hi John,

You now I got to ask if you ran LiveUpdate (rebooting as requested) until LiveUpdtae responded specifically with "no updates found".  I would asssume so - knowing you and also seeing the NTB Add-on for FF 22 - but the update for the NVP being corrected was a later update than the NTB.

Kudos0

Thanks for the reminder Yank, but yes, that's all been done - and the standard FF & NRT cycle too.  My guess is that the updated NVP will eventually arrive on its own...

Thanks again,

John

Kudos0

My NVP is still the same 11.1.0.73 -1 disabled on Firefox 23.0.1 I ran live update over and over I don't no how to screen shot as I never did it before. Toolbar works fine I just installed Comcast NSS the other day 20.4.0.40. I read the other posts and hope it comes back untill then what an be done or do I wait for a update. Thanks or any help.

Kudos0

Hi philly215,

Here is info for posting a screenshot:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Forum-Tip-How-to-post-screenshots-in-the-forum/td-p/254415

My only suggestion is to please be patient for a solution - we have had NVP problems in the [past and they take time to sort out - but Norton is aware of this!

Kudos3 Stats

A new def update is on the way.  Once the new def set is on your system, the issues being reported on this thread will be resolved. 

This definition set is being released in a throttled manner to customers, much like our product updates. The reason for this throttled release is that this def set is a bit different -- it has an updated engine. This also means that during the period when the throttling is in progress, all other IPS def updates are on hold.  If there is any threat that warrants priority, the throttling process will be halted and new definitions will be released to all customers.

This def update has been running smoothly and it should be available to everyone very soon.  In the meantime, your client may pickup the new definitions at any time.  One of my systems did a few minutes ago and I have a couple of more machines that are still waiting.

Accepted Solution
Kudos2 Stats

The throttling process I mentioned yesterday has ended.  The new definitions are now being published for everyone.

Kudos0

My NIS FF NVP plugin was updated this morning to 12.0.0.380 - 1 and can be enabled so I'm marking this as solved.

Thank you, yank, for sticking by with us for the last couple of days and thanks to Symantec for resolving the issue.

Kudos0

You are welcome. 

We couldn't do anything to fix it - but at least we got the ball rolling in the right direction!  Glad it's fixed!

Kudos0

I guess I will have to wait and be patient as my NVP is 11.1.0.73 -1 and disabled im on Comcast NSS I also ran live update untill it said no more updates found. Hope the update comes soon. Thanks for everybody that helped.

Kudos0

philly215 wrote:

I guess I will have to wait and be patient as my NVP is 11.1.0.73 -1 and disabled im on Comcast NSS I also ran live update untill it said no more updates found. Hope the update comes soon. Thanks for everybody that helped.

Hi philly215,

This is a situation I have come across before in NIS, N360 and NSS with previous FF upgrades. Following the exact procedure that follows has produced the desired results of the NTB appearing in FF. Do not add any addtional steps such as running the Norton Removal Tool, as that may cause you to lose your ID Safe, customised settings and will also remove any other Norton programs you may happen to have installed.

It is highly recommended you export your ID Safe data prior to starting this procedure.  You should not lose it during the procedure - but please export it as a precautionary measure.

Please do the following in the order I list:

Totally uninstall Firefox

Download a fresh copy of Firefox 23.01 from here: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/new/

Install the fresh copy of firefox.

Download a fresh copy of your Norton product from here:

http://www.norton.com/nss

Remove  your NSS using Programs and Features (Add/Remove Programs if you are using XP) - do not run the NRT as you'll want to keep your Identitiy Safe and other settings.

Install the fresh copy of your NSS.

Run LiveUpdate (rebooting as requested by LiveUpdate) as many times as necessary for it to respond with the specific words  "no updates found" .

Once all that is done in the order I am asking for you to do it, please check Firefox  23.01 and also look at "Add-on's" and see if Norton Toolbar 2013.4.2.2. and Norton Vulnerability Protection 12.0.0.380-1 are listed and shown as enabled.

Do you now have the Norton Toolbar in FF 23.01?

Please let us know how this goes.

Kudos0

Thank You Yank NTB and NVP are both up and running fine now I did what you said and uninstalled Firefox and uninstalled NSS and then reinstalled both and it worked. Just what to say thanks again to you and Norton for helping and listening to me and others who came across this issue.

Kudos0

You welcome philly215 - glad you got it sorted out!

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.