• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Firefox 43.0 - Norton IdentitySafe could not be verified . . .

I updated to Firefox 43.0 as I received a message that the Norton Toolbar was now compatible, and applied the available Norton patch. However, I now have no Norton Toolbar and when I check Add-ons it says "Norton Identity Safe could not be verified for use in Firefox and has been disabled" with no option to enable it.

I have run Live Update several times to no avail. Any help with re-installing the Norton Toolbar would be gratefully received. I'm on Windows 7 64 bit.

My subscription is due for renewal in three weeks and, since a major attraction of Norton 360 was Identity Safe, I am unlikely to renew if the ongoing fiasco hasn't been sorted out.

Replies

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Firefox 43.0 - Norton IdentitySafe could not be verified . . .

You may need to run LiveUpdate and reboot a few times before your product is completely updated to the latest version. It will appear in the LiveUpdate history as Norton Toolbar Add-on for Firefox.

Known Issues: Few customers will not be able to enable the Norton Toolbar Add-On. The disabled Add-on will show an older version (2015.5.6.78). If you are facing this issue, Please send a Private Message to Mohan_G for workaround Instructions.
https://community.norton.com/en/blogs/product-update-announcements/firefox-43-limited-compatibility-norton-toolbar

Kudos0

Many thanks, bjm_. 

I have run LiveUpdate and rebooted several times, often with no update available, but I'll continue to do so. The version shown is 2015.5.6.86.

Kudos0

anitagibbs:  I have run LiveUpdate and rebooted several times, often with no update available, but I'll continue to do so. The version shown is 2015.5.6.86.

so, is 2015.5.6.86 signed or Proceed with caution ...?   
Did you have Norton patch resident and settled in before manual update to FF43

Kudos0

2015.5.6.86 is disabled saying "Norton Identity Safe could not be verified for use in Firefox and has been disabled" and there's no option to enable it.

On your second point, I'm not sure whether I installed the patch first to be honest. The whole thing has got me totally confused, which is easy now I'm well into my seventies!  Is there a way to go back to the previous version of both and start again, maybe by doing a system restore?

Thanks again for taking the trouble to help me.

Kudos1 Stats

So, you still see diagonal stripes with message "Proceed with caution"...?  Or, "could not be verified and disabled"...?

Do you want to try Firefox 43 override to install unsigned add-ons in the browser..?
In the past one suggest has been to refresh Norton install.   Current signed issue may not be related to prior patch + Firefox sync-up issues.
So, you've cycled browser a few times and run LiveUpdate several times with machine restart and/or reboot. 

Kudos0

I have the same problem with the message stating "Norton Internet Security 2015.5.6.76 (disabled)" and "Last Updated 03 November 2015".

Kudos0

dforrest: I have the same problem with the message stating "Norton Internet Security 2015.5.6.76 (disabled)" and "Last Updated 03 November 2015".

that's as I observed (2015.5.6.78) until ran LiveUpdate several time with restart/reboot.
then Toolbar was updated and signed. 
I was gonna' try override switch but, did not have to.

Known Issues: Few customers will not be able to enable the Norton Toolbar Add-On. The disabled Add-on will show an older version (2015.5.6.78). If you are facing this issue, Please send a Private Message to Mohan_G for workaround Instructions

https://community.norton.com/en/blogs/product-update-announcements/firefox-43-limited-compatibility-norton-toolbar 

Kudos0

This is what I see (sorry, can't include image in post):
http://s279.photobucket.com/user/anitagibbs/media/Firefox-Norton.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

I'm happy to try the override but unable to do so right now as grandchildren arriving.

How do I refresh Norton install?

Thanks.

Kudos1 Stats

anitagibbs:

This is what I see (sorry, can't include image in post):
http://s279.photobucket.com/user/anitagibbs/media/Firefox-Norton.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

I'm happy to try the override but unable to do so right now as grandchildren arriving.

How do I refresh Norton install?

Thanks.

Mohan_G (who requested PM) Permalink may have work around instructions other than ...

Firefox 43 ships with an override to install unsigned add-ons in the browser.

Load about:config in the browser's address bar.
    Confirm you will be careful if the prompt appears.
    Search for xpinstall.signatures.required.
    Double-click the preference to set it to false.

Mozilla plans to remove the preference in Firefox 44.
http://www.ghacks.net/2015/12/16/what-you-do-when-firefox-disables-installed-add-ons/

and Norton Remove and Reinstall Tool <here>.  Read: Before you begin.
Caveat: I have not tried "work around" or NRnR Tool re this issue.

Kudos1 Stats

Message: "Norton Identity Safe could not be verified for use in Firefox. Proceed with caution" appears after I update the Firefox browser
https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v113946319

Caveat: I have not tried "work around"

Kudos0

Everyone having issues with the toolbar not updating no matter what you try, run the NRnR tool and do a reinstall. I had this exact same issue and finally just ran the tool and now I have the signed toolbar.

On another machine I have it updated no problem running live update; who knows why but try the NRnR. Do this before you use the about:config workaround as that will not work when 44.0 comes out; you need to get yourself updated to the signed toolbar.

Kudos0

I waited a day at least.  Yesterday's update from Firefox 42 to Firefox 43.0 and then checking the Options > Add-On tab, showed the Norton Identity-Safe (Toolbar) was fully accepted.

(Norton 360, v22.5.5.15, Windows Vista Home Prem., Toshiba Satellite portable computer).

Kudos0

I ran the NRnR tool, but a new version of Firefox has been released and when I signed into my Norton account I got the message "You are using an outdated browser. This site does not support Firefox 43.0. Update your browser by clicking below."  However, when I clicked it said I was using the latest version!

Since I couldn't reinstall using my current version I updated to Firefox 43.0.1 via Help/About and was then able to reinstall Norton 360. The toolbar was still disabled in Firefox with the same message and no option to enable. I ran LiveUpdate and rebooted twice with updates and patches applied but still showing version 2015.5.6.78, then three times more with no updates available.

I think my next step should be to PM Mohan_G and ask for his workaround instructions.

Thank you so much, bjm_, for all the trouble you have taken and advice you have given to try to solve this problem for me.  It really is much appreciated.

Kudos1 Stats

anitagibbs: I ran LiveUpdate and rebooted twice with updates and patches applied but still showing version 2015.5.6.78

Another user reported <this> is the "work around" received from Mohan_G.
<< Message: "Norton Identity Safe could not be verified for use in Firefox. Proceed with caution" appears after I update the Firefox browser >>
And Mohan_G writes the "workaround" is for older version 2015.5.6.78
<<Known Issues: Few customers will not be able to enable the Norton Toolbar Add-On. The disabled Add-on will show an older version (2015.5.6.78). If you are facing this issue, Please send a Private Message to Mohan_G for workaround Instructions>>.

If you send PM.  Include W7 + Norton product with version + IDSafe/Toolbar version + current screenshot. 

* And here Permalink you offered screenshot with 2015.5.6.86

Kudos0

Well I have eventually gone ahead with un-installing and replacing Norton Security.

I now have NS 22.5.5.15 and Firefox 43.0.1.

Norton Identity Safe in Firefox is at 2015.5.6.78 with the date 19 December 2015 and it is still disabled.

I ran LiveUpdate several times and rebooted.  Toolbar updates were included in what was being downloaded.

What now?

Kudos0

ddforest,
Are you W8.1/W10...? 
Do you see << Message: "Norton Identity Safe could not be verified for use in Firefox. Proceed with caution" appears after I update the Firefox browser >>
May be time to Chat with Official Norton Support 

Kudos0

VISTA Home Premium 64.

I get no such message but it remains a disabled add-on in Firefox.

Kudos0

Thanks bjm_. I'll send another PM to Mohan_G with the information I omitted in my first one.

The version since removing and reinstalling Norton 360 is 2015.5.6.78: http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk159/anitagibbs/Firefox-Norton%202.jpg

Kudos0

anitgibbs, that is the same is I am getting.  If you do get this resolved, please post here.

Kudos0

dforrest:  VISTA Home Premium 64. I get no such message but it remains a disabled add-on in Firefox.

Okay, I've seen yellow diagonal stripes with "Process with caution" and I've seen red diagonal stripes with "Disabled".    I have not seen Identity Safe listed with Extensions with no message and Disabled.   Sorry

Edit: I C Permalink

Hi anitagibbs, Thanks!, for screenshots.   Good luck

Kudos0

I will, dforrest, but don't hold your breath. I can't spend any longer on this at the moment as I have loads of Christmas preparations I should be doing!

Thanks, bjm_.

Kudos0

I carried on anyway and tried to follow the workaround instructions linked to by bjm_ but have hit another problem.  When I get to:

In the command prompt window, type in the following text, and then press Enter.

cd "C:\ProgramData\Norton\{0C55C096-0F1D-4F28-AAA2-85EF591126E7}\<Norton product_version number>\coFFAddon"

the command prompt window shows "C:/Users/end user>".

How can I remove that text so I can enter the text specified above?

Sorry to be so thick!

Kudos0

anitagibbs:

I carried on anyway and tried to follow the workaround instructions linked to by bjm_ but have hit another problem.  When I get to:

In the command prompt window, type in the following text, and then press Enter.

cd "C:\ProgramData\Norton\{0C55C096-0F1D-4F28-AAA2-85EF591126E7}\<Norton product_version number>\coFFAddon"

the command prompt window shows "C:/Users/end user>".

How can I remove that text so I can enter the text specified above?

Sorry to be so thick!

Note: your .78 screenshot does not show "Proceed with caution".  Your .78 screenshot shows Disabled.   Your issue may not be addressed by Norton kb document Permalink.  

Kudos0

I did notice that, bjm_, but thought it might be worth trying anyway as I don't kniw what else to do.  I think I'll just give up!

Kudos0

FWIW ~ on my setup the path = "C:\ProgramData\Norton\{0C55C096-0F1D-4F28-AAA2-85EF591126E7}\NSBU_22.5.2.15\coFFAddon"

Yes, 22.5.2.15 = the path to coFFAddon on my setup, YMMV

Kudos1 Stats

bjm_ your procedure resolved the problem for me.  Thank you.

anitagibbs in the command you are typing, are you replacing "<Norton product_version number>" with the product number you were asked to make a note of earlier in the instructions?

David

Kudos0

@bjm_: The path on mine is "C:\ProgramData\Norton\{0C55C096-0F1D-4F28-AAA2-85EF591126E7}\ N360_22.5.4.24\coFFAddon", which corresponds with yours, but how would I enter that at the command prompt when it shows "C:\Users\end user>"?

@dforrest: Yes I am, but I'm unable to enter the path at the command prompt because it shows "C:\Users\end user>" when the path is "C:\ProgramData\" etc.

Kudos1 Stats

anitagibbs:

@bjm_: The path on mine is "C:\ProgramData\Norton\{0C55C096-0F1D-4F28-AAA2-85EF591126E7}\ N360_22.5.4.24\coFFAddon", which corresponds with yours, but how would I enter that at the command prompt when it shows "C:\Users\end user>"?

@dforrest: Yes I am, but I'm unable to enter the path at the command prompt because it shows "C:\Users\end user>" when the path is "C:\ProgramData\" etc.

Yes, that why you need cd = change directory 

1. In the command prompt window, type in the following text, and then press Enter.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]
    (c) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\bjms>cd "C:\ProgramData

C:\ProgramData>

Kudos0

dforrest:  bjm_ your procedure resolved the problem for me.  Thank you.

Norton procedure    Thanks!  (good to know darn thing works)

Kudos0

I see.  I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with dos commands.

I'm getting a syntax error:
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk159/anitagibbs/command%20prompt.jpg

But please don't waste any more of your time as, as you pointed out, this doesn't address the problem I have. Many thanks for your patience though.

Kudos0

anitagibbs:

I see.  I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with dos commands.

I'm getting a syntax error:
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk159/anitagibbs/command%20prompt.jpg

But please don't waste any more of your time as, as you pointed out, this doesn't address the problem I have. Many thanks for your patience though.

Well, okay.  Did you Exit all the programs, and restart the computer.
Are you in Administrator user account and did you turn off Norton Tamper Protection...? 
Sorry, Good luck.  Regards

Kudos0

I did exit progs and restart the computer after running LiveUpdate, but I'll try restarting again.

And yes, I did turn off Norton Tamper Protection.

Kudos0

Your issue may be different from dforrest, who reports 22.5.5.15 vs your 22.5.4
22.5.4 not updating to 22.5.5 has been reported....
I think the "workaround" is for users that had Toolbar disabled when the patch was delivered.

If the Norton Identity Safe add-on is disabled in Firefox before you run LiveUpdate, then Firefox may show "Norton Identity Safe could not be verified for use in Firefox. Proceed with caution" with the extension version as 2015.6.0.78. The extension cannot be enabled from Firefox. To resolve this issue, perform the following steps.

and you show Disabled.  IDK, the iterations may come into play.
I thought signed extension patch was for 22.5.5.15 Permalink

Kudos0

C:\ProgramData\Norton\{0C55C096-0F1D-4F28-AAA2-85EF591126E7}\ N360_22.5.4.24\coFFAddon

Remove the space between the backslash and N360

Dave

edit- you can't see the space now because the forum used it to split the command into 2 lines but it is present in your post above

Kudos0

Yes, it's showing Disabled.

I've restarted the computer and gone through the Norton instructions again and it's still showing a syntax error.

I think I'll call it a day now.  Thanks again.

Kudos0

Sorry to disappoint you, but I had notice the space and removed it before the last coupleof tries and still no joy. Never mind, I'll manage without the Norton toolbar in Firefox and use IE to open the vault and copy passwords when necessary.

Kudos1 Stats

anitagibbs: Never mind, I'll manage without the Norton toolbar in Firefox and use IE to open the vault and copy passwords when necessary.

We'll see what transpires. 
Time for some kismus cheer.  Be well to you and yours.  

Kudos0

You too! 

Kudos1 Stats

There is a much easier way to open a command prompt at a certain location.

You manually navigate to the location using explorer until you get to the last folder, then you hold down the <shift> key and right click on the target folder  (coFFAddon).

Holding down the shift key adds another option on the right click menu "open command prompt here"  select that option and the command prompt opens up set to that location.

Dave

Kudos0

Thanks, DaveH. That eliminates the risk of typing erors.

Kudos0

Just to update you, bjm_, I decided to renew my Norton 360 which was due to expire in early January, and can now enable Identity Safe!

If only I'd known you needn't have spent all that time and trouble trying to help me. It wasn't totally wasted though as I've learnt a lot from your advice.

Thanks again for your time and patience.

Kudos0

anitagibbs:

Just to update you, bjm_, I decided to renew my Norton 360 which was due to expire in early January, and can now enable Identity Safe!

If only I'd known you needn't have spent all that time and trouble trying to help me. It wasn't totally wasted though as I've learnt a lot from your advice.

Hmm, that's a head scratch.  So, IDSafe/Toolbar is now 2015.5.6.86 and shows enabled and signed because you renewed.  Darn bits and bytes are always a pita.    Be safe.

Kudos0

anitagibbs:

I am a little late to this ball game, but I'm curious how you "renewed" your N 360?

• via Renew on main page of N 360 UI (in other words through Norton)
  • did you purchase a product and use the product key to start a new license
  • if as above - did you purchase Norton Security Deluxe (5 licenses) or Norton Security Premium (10 licenses)?
  • Perhaps most important, did you do an uninstall/reinstall in order to effect the renewal?

Hope I'm not confusing manners - but if you did a  removal and then installed a newer version - that could explain how it updated, especially if you were on an older version of N 360.  I did not rad the entire thread, so I'm not sure what version of N 360 you were on. 

Kudos0

bjm_:
So, IDSafe/Toolbar is now 2015.5.6.86

No it's still 2015.5.6.78 after running LiveUpdate a couple of times. But it's working and I don't want to risk breaking it again.

Kudos0

yank:
I am a little late to this ball game, but I'm curious how you "renewed" your N 360?

I did it via Renew on main page of N 360 UI, as I couldn't find it cheaper anywhere else (£29.99).

I purchase Norton 360 (3 licences).

I didn't uninstall/reinstall, I just clicked on Renew and I didn't see that it downloaded and installed anything.

I don't know what version I was on or am on now as I can't see any way to find out!

Kudos0

anitagibbs:

bjm_:
So, IDSafe/Toolbar is now 2015.5.6.86

No it's still 2015.5.6.78 after running LiveUpdate a couple of times. But it's working and I don't want to risk breaking it again.

Sorry, for trouble by asking.  Are you on FF43..?   And on Norton main view from Help > About
do you find 22.5.5.15
I thought earlier you were on Norton product 22.5.4 and could not update to 22.5.5
Sorry, I've lost track.  Maybe, 22.5.4 was for coFFAddon
FF43 compatibility patch is for Norton product 22.5.5.15.  Maybe, I presumed you were 22.5.5.15
Sorry...............
There's Norton product version 22.5.5.15 and Identity Safe Toolbar version 2015.5.6.86.  

Kudos0

No trouble, just a pause in the gift wrapping!

FF 43.0.1

The folder in C:/Program Data/Norton is still 22.5.4.24 but Norton's Help/About shows 22.5.5.15!

Kudos0

anitagibbs:

No trouble, just a pause in the gift wrapping!

FF 43.0.1

The folder in C:/Program Data/Norton is still 22.5.4.24 but Norton's Help/About shows 22.5.5.15!

Okay, yes that rings a bell other than with FF43 you need signed extension for 2015.5.6.86.
And you report 2015.5.6.78 as enabled.  I mean are there also diagonal stripes with Proceed with caution.   With Firefox Extensions.  Does Identity Safe have message >
Do you see << Message: "Norton Identity Safe could not be verified for use in Firefox. Proceed with caution" appears after I update the Firefox browser >>

Kudos0

No, no diagonal stripes with "Proceed with caution".

Kudos0

Okay, Norton product v22.5.5.15 + Identity Safe 2015.5.6.78 + FF43.0.1

command prompt "workaround" like yesterday.....or PM Mohan_G with current numbers and screenshot.
I think this is where you were yesterday.  Yes/No...?
At some point run LiveUpdate several times and restart W7.  At some point cycle Firefox a few time with Identity Safe/Toolbar enabled. 
Then if no joy.  We're back to command prompt. 
Except there's no message on your setup with older version Identity Safe. 
And I don't remember my transition from .78 to .86.  .86 simply appeared on restart.
IDK, if "workaround" applies.
I'm open for HELP. 
Back to wrapping kismus presents. 

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.