• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Firefox 54.0.1. has disabled Norton Toolbar add-on 2017.9.2.2 updated on 10-Jul-2017

Hi,

Firefox 54.0.1 has disabled the Norton Toolbar add-on, which seems to have been updated yesterday, i.e. 10-Jul-2017 to version 2017.9.2.2 as Firefox says it is unverified. Exact info displayed is "Norton Security Toolbar could not be verified for use in Firefox and has been disabled". I have Norton Security Standard installed on my laptop, which is also updated to version 22.9.4.8.

Does Norton has a fix for this, as I feel it's unsafe to browse with the Norton Toolbar disabled, with so many viruses & spyware coming up these days ?

Thanks

Ramesh

NSS 2018 | Windows 8.1 Home (64-bit) with SP1 | 4Gb RAM & NMS 4.1.1.4117 on Lenovo K3 Note
Labels: Firefox

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Firefox 54.0.1. has disabled Norton Toolbar add-on 2017.9.2.2 updated on 10-Jul-2017

I have Norton Security 22.10.0.83 with the Norton toolbar for firefox as version 2017.11.0.1.  I have Firefox 54.0.1 as well and the Norton toolbar is working here.  You may have to run LiveUpdate to get the updated toolbar, but you may also get the new 22.10 update as well.  Run LiveUpdate and if it tells you to Apply Patch or Restart your computer, do that and then run Live Update until it says there are no new updates found, you should be able to use the toolbar once it updates, you may have Firefox ask if you want to allow the extension to be installed, say yes and it should be enabled.  I have the 22.10 update and have had a few issues with it so you should be cautious and be on the lookout for any problems with it, since it is still being offered through LiveUpdate, although in a phased manner so you may or may not get the 22.10 update but could still get the updated toolbar anyway.

Let us know how everything goes.

Windows 10 Pro v.1703 64-Bit / IE 11 / Firefox 55.0.3 / NSBU 22.10.1.10 / NU 16.0.2.53 / Veritas System Recovery 16 SP2
Kudos0

Re: Firefox 54.0.1. has disabled Norton Toolbar add-on 2017.9.2.2 updated on 10-Jul-2017

Thanks for your response. However, I have once again run LiveUpdate manually and it didn't find anything to update. As I am on a wired always-on broadband internet connection, seems LiveUpdate ran when I switched on the PC this morning. I have so far never had to run LiveUpdate, or upgrade my Norton Security S/w to new version manually. But, this time, I am yet to get the new 22.10.X.X version which you already have. As you stated, it is being rolled out in phases I presume. Will wait for a day or so and then report to Norton Support on this, as I have a licensed Norton product which they can trouble-shoot remotely, if necessary.

NSS 2018 | Windows 8.1 Home (64-bit) with SP1 | 4Gb RAM & NMS 4.1.1.4117 on Lenovo K3 Note
Kudos0

same problem with 1 laptop,2 other computers in house no problems,done live update restarted made no difference.

Kudos0

Same problem - Norton Security with Backup 22.9.4.8 , Norton Security Toolbar 2017.9.2.2, Firefox 54.0.1, Windows 7 Professional (64-bit). All the above are up to date, live update run (no updates found), restarted laptop etc. Still broken. What is taking Symantec so long to fix this issue which has been reported now for 5 or 6 days.

Kudos0

I have Firefox 57+ and I can tell you that Norton tool bar is not fully compatible with Firefox 54. Mozilla has introduced multiprocess mode in FF 57. Norton tool bar 2017.9.2.2  that I have, is not compatible with multiprocess FF. So if I enable NSTB, my FF runs in single process mode.

Live update with my NAV didn't help with NSTB.

I guess Norton have to come up with an update for it. Could any one from Norton would comment?

Kudos0

manish

You mention FF 57 a couple of times. Is that just a typo? If not you are using beta versions that will not be supported by Norton.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

I have two computers.

• Both running Windows 7 64-bit (fully updated through June 2017).
  • Both running Firefox 54.0.1 (32-bit).
  • Both running Norton security 22.9.4.8 (fully updated, I've run Live update until it says "Not Required") ... 22.10.0.83 is not offered to me.
  • Both running Norton Security Toolbar 2017.9.2.2 ... Toolbar last updated on May 22, 2017.

On first computer, Firefox has disabled Norton Security Toolbar (2017.9.2.2.) ... stating that Norton Toolbar add-on could not be verified (Norton Toolbar not properly signed). Same problem as others report in this thread.

On second computer, Norton Toolbar is NOT disabled and is running fine in Firefox! Strange, given the similarity in software/versions between first and second PCs.

Any thoughts as to why one PC has the problem and the other does not?

There is probably little that Symantec will do about this problem until it can be reproduced in 22.10.0.83 (or later).

From what I have read, there appears to be an incompatibility between Norton Toolbar and a new Firefox 54 feature called "multi-content processes", which basically gives Firefox the ability to split content processing into multiple system processes to improve performance. On both of my computers, about:support in Firefox shows that this feature (multiprocess windows) is "disabled by add-ons".

Anyone from Symantec with knowledge of this apparent incompatibility care to comment. Is Symantec aware of this incompatibility and are they working on it (or has it been fixed in 22.10)?

EDITED to include date of last update for Norton Toolbar.

EDITED to include comment above about incompatibility between Norton Toolbar and new feature in Firefox 54 called "multi-content processes".

Kudos0

For the second time in a week I have uninstalled Norton security and reinstalled to get it back,my other computers have had no problems,all are on w10 creator update,and are all up to date on live update and on Firefox 54.0.1,it is a problem that Norton should have sorted by now.i am not too bothered about the toolbar,it's the little green or gold approved ticks to show you can safely open a webpage I like to see,but the toolbar makes you feel safe.

Kudos0

If you are running Firefox 54 (or later), here is how you can find out if Firefox's new Multi-content Processes" feature is working for you ... type this into the address bar and hit enter:

about:support

A "Troubleshooting Information" page will open.

In the Application Basics section, scroll down until you see "Multiprocess Windows" under the Name column. Look at the status (to the right of "Multiprocess Windows").

If the status says "Enabled by Default", or "Enabled by User", then the feature is working.

If the status says "Disabled by add-ons", then the cause could be an incompatibility between Norton Tool Bar and the new Firefox feature. I do not think we will see the Toolbar enabled until Symantec addresses/solves the incompatibility.

Kudos0

Hello

I have brought this to the attention of Norton.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.2.47 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Thanks floplot.

If you (or Norton) need any additional information (such as links to articles about the new Firefox Multiprocess Feature, screen shots, etc.), just let me know.

Kudos0

I have also reported this issue to the Norton Support team last evening. They say their technical team is working on a resolution which will be provided "shortly". Hope to get an update to NS soon. Not sure how safe it is to use a web browser without a security s/w providing protection, with the likes of WannaCry n Petya lurking in cyberspace !!

Norton team needs to be more prompt and proactive it providing resolution to wide-spread issues like this one.

Kudos0

Norton team needs to be more prompt and proactive it providing resolution to wide-spread issues like this one.

This issue seems to have started two days ago. Not sure how fast you want Norton to move when re coding for a bug. If they rush to change the code, and then release it without proper testing, they could introduce more problems than they fix. Plus the time required to identify the code that is buggy.

Personally, I would prefer they take the time to get it right.

Kudos1 Stats

Well @peterweb, let me put what I mentioned earlier in the right perspective.

The Firefox release calendar is out in public domain months in advance, including beta releases. So, when Firefox version 54.0 was in beta Norton had enough time to test their own products which were going to get impacted by the new "Multi-content processes" introduced in the final release of FF-54 recently. So, having web protection disabled in a popular browser makes users more vulnerable to cyber-attacks, with hackers n ransomware becoming more complex. It defeats the very purpose of investing in a security s/w, not relying entirely on a web-browser's in-built security. Hence, I feel security s/w makers like Norton ought to be proactive in updating/upgrading their products when information on major changes to an OS or web browser is known well in advance.

Anyway, have been using IE & Chrome till Norton fixes this issue.

Kudos0

This is a Norton problem. I would rather use a temporary security solution than use Chrome or Edge. Haven't ever used IE/Edge and never will.  It's a qualitative and logical decision, not opinionated.

Kudos0

Hi @rameshiyer, @michael kent, @WalkingMan & @geek47,

Thanks for reporting an issue in Norton Community Forums. Our team looking into this issue. I have sent you a private message requesting logs and more details for further investigation. Please check it when you get a chance.

Sunil_GA | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

I also have this problem - its annoying so until a fix is found i have downloaded  a norton add on that i found on firefox 54 its called norton safe web and it puts a green tick in your toolbar if site is safe, Will leave that on as I say ive ony just done it so not tried it out fully.  I will keep checking back on this site now to see if anyone finds out if we will ever be able to get the other norton toolbar enabled again

Kudos0

i3 Windows 10  FF 54.0.1 (32 bit)

Would upload images of FFerror and FFAbout but could find no way to do so on this forum.

Kudos0

Hi @amazon & @Sanderhaugen,

Could you please provide below information? 

Norton product name and version number installed and Operating system (32/64bit)?

Thanks

Kudos0

Norton Security Deluxe v 22.9.48

Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, v1703, OS build 15063.483

Unless I can provide screen shots pls do not request more information from me as I don't have time to be looking up, writing down, and replying.  The screens in Norton and Windows do not allow select/copy.

Note: I manage several different makes and models of laptops and desktops. This is info for the one I am on now, but all either have Windows 10 or Linux (edit as one has Windows 8). The Windows systems are either Home or Professional and up to date as are the Norton products installed on all. With two exceptions they are all i3, i5, or i7 64 bit.  I don't care too much about the warning, but it is annoying because I get asked about it a lot.

Kudos0

Right I am using Windows 7 Home premium - 64 bit

The disable norton toolbar came with my norton internet sercurity 2017

and hopefully you will see attached a screen dump of the error shown from my addons to firefox 54

i cant upload a screen print converted it to a zip file but wont open will try something else later

Kudos0

Instructions to post screenshots can be found here
https://community.norton.com/forums/how-post-image-forums-0

Kudos0

Kudos0

hopefully i have followed your instructions to upload the addon error

thanks

Kudos0

right did as you said i have norton internet security v 22.9.48 and followed your instructions to delete the folder you mentioned in the private message - restarted pc and ran live update but the disabled error is still in my add ons

its ok i will wait till all this is sorted if possible and will keep checking this site

Kudos0

Thanks for the update, @amazon.  I have sent you a message requesting for logs. Please check it when you get a chance.

Kudos0

i have created a log file but cant save it to the correct format using sym help

Kudos0

think ive done it now see above - hope its ok

please let me know if and when its ok to delete the log file from my pc

Kudos0

Sunil_GA:

I have uploaded the debug files you requested. I will try the troubleshooting steps you suggested and post results.

Kudos0

Logs uploaded as requested by Sunil. Note, I could not perform the troubleshooting steps as the Windows security permissions would not allow me to delete the coFFAddon folder and I do not want to have to modify the security permissions.

Kudos0

yes thats what i noticed when i tried to delete it myself - never mind - i will keep watching the posts

Kudos0

Sunil_GA,

I too am having permission problems with folder coFFAddon.

I tried to rename the folder rather than delete it (to make it easier to go back to the original if necessary).

Here are the steps I took:

• Log on to my PC with an Admin account.
  • Attempt to rename the folder; get the standard pop-up saying "You'll need to provide administrator permission to rename this folder". Clicked Continue.
  • Get the standard User Account Control pop-up saying "Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer" ... program name is File Operation. Clicked YES.

Usually (with other rename operations I have performed in the past on system files) the rename operation is performed.

But in this case, I get another pop-up that is titled Folder Access Denied and says "You require permission from Administrators to make changes to this folder".

I checked the permission settings for folder coFFAddon, and my Admin account has these permissions allowed: Full control, Modify, Read & execute, List folder contents, Read, Write. The only permission not checked as allowed is "Special permissions".

I could probably try to take ownership of the folder coFFAddon (in order to rename or delete it), but I would rather not do that because it could cause problems with future updates from Symantec.

If you have any other troubleshooting steps you would like me to take, please let me know.

=========================

To summarize the problem being discussed here: 

Firefox 54 has come out with a new feature called  Multple Content Processes (where each tab runs in its own process).

If any Firefox add-on is not compatible with this new feature, then the new feature is disabled (and the offending add-on is also disabled). Removing the offending add-on and restarting Firefox is supposed to allow the new Firefox feature to be enabled.

The Norton Toolbar add-on for Firefox is not compatible with the Multiple Content Processes feature, and thus the new Firefox feature is disabled. Unfortunately, the Norton Toolbar cannot be removed from Firefox ... thus we cannot enable the Multiple Content Processes feature. And because the Toolbar is not compatible with the new Firefox feature, it cannot be re-enabled!

You can check the status of the Multiple Content Process feature on your PC (assuming you are running Firefox 54.0 or later) by typing "about:support" (without the quotes) into the Firefox address bar and hitting enter. Scroll down to the Multiprocess Windows entry and check its status (to the right). In my case, it shows as "Disabled by add-ons.

Symantec needs to fix the Toolbar add-on for Firefox so that it is compatible with the Firefox Multiple Content Processes feature.

Kudos1 Stats

Try turning off Norton Product Tamper Protection. Then see if you can work with the folder. Norton may be protecting itself.

Kudos0

right morning everyone - just read meassages

think i have success - from the norton product i did as you said took the tick off tamper protection for 1 hour then went to the CC FF folder >>> as mentioned in previous steps - I was then able to delete the folder

i restarted pc then ran live update - shut down and restarted firefox 54 and when it reopened I got a window prompt to say norton wanted to add toolbar so i allowed it and now the old disable norton toolbar had gone and now have norton safeweb toolbar installed

so i think i am all ok now

thanks

Kudos0

Thanks @peterweb. Disabled Norton Tamper Protection for 15 minutes which enabled me to delete the ccFFAddon folder.

Kudos0

Sunil_GA:

THANKS to the suggestion from Peterweb (to temporarily disable Norton Security's tamper protection), I was able to rename the coFFAddon folder and proceed with the rest of the suggested troubleshooting steps:

• Restart PC
  • Run LiveUpdates

After performing the above steps, I started Firefox and checked the status of the Norton Toolbar ... the Toolbar was ENABLED !!!!!

The version of Norton Toolbar BEFORE I did the above troubleshooting steps was 2017.9.2.2, and the version AFTER the above troubleshooting steps was 2017.9.0.2. So it appears that Symantec may have pulled the 2017.9.2.2 version???

Unfortunately, if I type "about:support" (without the quotes) into the Firefox address bar and hit enter, the status of the Multiprocess Windows entry still shows as "Disabled by add-ons".

So renaming (or deleting) the coFFAddon, rebooting, and running LiveUpdates solves a SYMPTOM (disabled Toolbar), but it DOES NOT SOLVE the problem: incompatibility between Norton Toolbar and the new feature in Firefox (Multiple Content Processes) causes the new feature in Firefox to be disabled).

Kudos0

Agree with @geek47. Experienced the same thing. Now Norton Toolbar is on older version and enabled, but Multi-content process remains "disabled by addons" in Firefox browser. Seems the steps I did as per @Sunil_GA was a temporary workaround until Norton Team fixes this permanently.

Kudos1 Stats

I have also followed the instructions above about turning off the tamper protection to allow the coFFAddon to be renamed/moved/deleted and then successfully installed the Security Toolbar 2017.9.0.2 add-on in Firefox. Before starting, I determined that the Firefox multiprocess windows feature was enabled (as the 2017.9.2.2 toolbar add-on had been disabled by FF). After reverting to the older 2017.9.0.2 add-on, I found that the multiprocess windows feature could be enable or disabled by simply disabling or enabling the add-on and restarting FF. I also found that reboots were not required in some places described in earler posts, so I have written my own step-by-step procedure and uploaded this for anyone who wants to use it.

Kudos0

Hi all again - just a next update for you after doing all tasks last night when after i deleted co ff addon folder... and i said got rid of the disabled norton toolbar and i ened up with norton safe toolbar - well i came home today and decided to houseclean pc lol.. after that i got disabled toolbar back lol....  so i went thru all the process again from last night deleting FF add on folder rebooting , live update etc etc and now got rid of disabled toolbar addon again but this time i now have the norton toolbar back in my addons and its ok - seems to be lol...

i wont waste more time on this now as lifes too short lol..

Kudos0

Hello

I have notified Sunil about all of your responses waiting for him.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.2.47 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Thanks floplot.

Sunil: 

On November 23, 2016, Mozilla has made this statement: " By the end of 2017, and with the release of Firefox 57, we’ll move to WebExtensions exclusively, and will stop loading any other extension types on desktop. " If you need a link to this announcement, just let me know.

So, not only does the Norton Toolbar need to support Firefox's new Multiple Content Process, but the Toolbar needs to be re-written using WebExtensions.

Symantec has plenty of advanced notice these changes. Can you please give us some feedback as to when we customers can expect to see these changes implemented and a new Toolbar released?

Kudos0

WalkingMan, I have tried the instructions in pdf, was able to rename cofaddons and get NSTB out of firefox 54.0.1, however I was unable to get it back and enabled. I suspect because my NSTB version is 2017.11.0.1,thought it was going to work, went fine until after Live Updates got nothing and restart never had pop-up to add NSTB. Changed everything back to way it was before, NSTB 2017.11.0.1 in addons and disabled, multi process disabled by addons. Guess I'll have to wait til Norton gets it resolved with Mozilla, even though some administrators say it has been signed. Any ideas appreciated,I'm on Windows 10 Home 64-bit, Firefox 54.0.1, NSTB 2017.11.0.1

Kudos0

Those posting about the lack of support for the Multi Process feature in FF should start a different thread for that. It is totally unrelated to this issue of the toolbar being disabled.

Kudos0

Freebirdwil:
On another of my systems (W7 Home Premium), I initially had a similar experience after removing the coFFAddon folder and FF showed the old add-on was no longer installed but would not prompt me to install the replacement. As you found, Live Update didn't help but I found that a complete system shut down and restart solved my problem. Alternatively, it may just be a simple matter of FF/NSBU taking time to recognise the change before offering to install the add-on. If you are willing to go through the removal process again, it might be worth trying the reboot or just waiting a bit longer and it would help others if you found this to be the case.

Kudos1 Stats

Peterweb:
I disagree that these 2 issues are unrelated. It is quite clear from my own experiences that when either toolbar (2017.9.2.2 or 2017.9.0.2) is enabled then the FF multiprocess feature will be disabled, and vice versa. The only key difference between the toolbar versions is that, FF will forcibly disable the 2017.9.2.2 add-on and will not allow the user to either re-enable or delete it, but this will result in the multiprocess feature being enabled. In other words, it would seem that it is the toolbar which is forcing the mutiprocess feature to be disabled, so the issues are not unrelated. There may well be a separate issue with 2017.9.2.2 which causes FF to disable the add-on, and that may simply be that Symantec did not get the add-on properly signed by Mozilla, as indicated by the FF error message.

Kudos0

I did all the several shut-downs and reboots that you mentioned in your pdf instructions, possible FF not noticing to offer re-install, would it be safe to leave the coFFAddon folder renamed for awhile or will it have other affects?

Kudos0

WalkingMan:

Peterweb:
I disagree that these 2 issues are unrelated. It is quite clear from my own experiences that when either toolbar (2017.9.2.2 or 2017.9.0.2) is enabled then the FF multiprocess feature will be disabled, and vice versa. The only key difference between the toolbar versions is that, FF will forcibly disable the 2017.9.2.2 add-on and will not allow the user to either re-enable or delete it, but this will result in the multiprocess feature being enabled. In other words, it would seem that it is the toolbar which is forcing the mutiprocess feature to be disabled, so the issues are not unrelated. There may well be a separate issue with 2017.9.2.2 which causes FF to disable the add-on, and that may simply be that Symantec did not get the add-on properly signed by Mozilla, as indicated by the FF error message.

I beg to differ. But we are all entitled to our opinion.

This thread was started because FF users found that the Toolbar was disabled because of version number problems. So that is the issue in this thread.

I did not say that the multi process is not related to the Toolbar being enabled or not. I just said that the current Toolbar is not compatible with the FF multi process feature, and that is a different issue than what is being discussed in this thread. And I'm sure there a other FF extensions that might be in the same situation. If they do not support the multi process, they too would disable that feature in FF.

It is just easier for getting help if each thread contains only one issue.

Kudos0

Freebirdwil:

As per my last post, the FF prompt did not immediately appear on my second PC even after a shut down & restart. However, over the course of the next 5 or 10 minutes I installed some Windows updates which required additional system restarts and after this when I restarted FF the prompt for installing the add-on finally appeared. I'm not sure if the new coFFAddon folder is created by Norton before FF issues the prompt to install the add-on, or if it is FF which issues the prompt and then creates the folder when installing the add-on. I suspect it is Norton which creates the new folder first, as implied in step #7 in my instructions.

As the 2017.9.2.2 toolbar add-on is disabled by FF and therefore serving no useful purpose, I don't think there would be any additional risk if you leave the folder renamed as you suggest, but do make sure that you have turned Tamper Protection back on at step #3.

Kudos0

Thanks WalkingMan I'll try it

Kudos0

Does the signatures.required override still work with Firefox 54.0

Just asking. 

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.