• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos1 Stats

Get Support = continuous fix of one Installation error in NSS v 20.4.0.40

Per this announcement,  I can verify running Get Support on Norton Security Suite 20.4.0.40 does not change the NVP to the previous version number any longer in FF 24.  I do have NVP 12.0.3.2-1

However, it does say that it is fixing an item in the installation each and everytime Get Support is run!

Restarting and running Get Support still shows one item in Installation fixed.

Does not do this on my NIS v 21.1.0.18.

Norton has been notified.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Get Support = continuous fix of one Installation error in NSS v 20.4.0.40

Per this announcement,  I can verify running Get Support on Norton Security Suite 20.4.0.40 does not change the NVP to the previous version number any longer in FF 24.  I do have NVP 12.0.3.2-1

However, it does say that it is fixing an item in the installation each and everytime Get Support is run!

Restarting and running Get Support still shows one item in Installation fixed.

Does not do this on my NIS v 21.1.0.18.

Norton has been notified.

Kudos0

Same here.  I was about to report the issue since Norton said they had "fixed it."

Norton Internet Security 2013.

Accepted Solution
Kudos6 Stats

The Get Support repair will continue to report a repair to installation in any product older than v21.1.

The reason this happens is that the Intrusion Prevention Firefox add-on "Norton Vulnerability Protection" needed to have changes to support Firefox v25+. These changes required IPS to move our add-on DLL to a new folder.This is done in an IPS defintiion update.

The "repair" is occurring becasue the product is unaware of this new folder.

Before we shipped Norton Vulnerability Protection version 12.3.0.2, the repair was actually breaking our Firefox support as it was reverting to the old folder, which only supports up till Firefox 24. This is the "repair" you see when you run Get Support.

Norton Vulnerability Protection v12.3.0.2 fixes this by immediately reverting the "repaired" folder from the old location to the correct new one. But since the product still doesn't know about the change, it will continue to want to "repair" every time you run Get Support.

There are currently no plans I know of to fix the "repair" problem you are seeing for v20.4 products (as that would require a product patch to tell the product that the new NVP add-on path is valid, and not need to be repaired). My suggestion is to update to v21.1 when you can.

Kudos2 Stats

Hi miket,

Thanks so much for the in-depth and totally understandable explanation of what is occurring and even more for letting us know what appeared as the mysterious, always repeated "installation repair" is.

Also much appreciated that you are straight forward with the "no plans you are aware of to fix" - that makes perfect sense to me - in regards to backwards engineering.  You "being up front with that"  lets everyone know that it may continue until 20.4 is history for everyone - thus an end is in sight. 

I would love to upgrade to 21.1 (as I am seeing it on Comcast's Norton Security Suite v 20.4.0.40) and I understand v 21.1 is coming eventually, but not here yet!

One last thing that I must mention and it appears to apply to your area:

I am not alone in wishing there were logs available for the user to see what was "fixed" using Auto Fix/Get Support.  Just think if logs were available, we could have seen what was being "fixed", although we may not have known the "why"  as you so accurately explained.

Thanks again for your post and I hope to see you again on the forums.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.