• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Hard drive failure Upgrading to Norton Security no option to use 360 backup

Hi all,

Thanks for any help in advance. I recently had a hard drive failure and had to replace the drive. I had used all of my installs of 360 so upgraded to Norton Internet Security. I have been unable to figure out how to have Internet Security see a backup from 360 that is stored on another hard drive not in the cloud. It's important stuff to me so I would like to retrieve it.  As a reminder to self do not count on backups. Make copies on cd's and that may not always work either. Just one more thing in the "end user" hell of system failures. lol.

Annieo

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Hard drive failure Upgrading to Norton Security no option to use 360 backup

Hello Annieo

Welcome to the Norton Community

I am a little confused by your post. You had n360 and then you upgraded to Norton Internet Security? If you some how bought NIS, you will not be able to see any backups. If you had N360 on your current computer which had the hard drive failure, you can still put N360 back on. It is still considered the same computer if you had to replace the hard drive.

I'm not sure if you meant you upgraded to Norton Security or Norton Internet Security. Please clarify what products you had and what product did you upgrade to. Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.19.8.65 Core Firmware 282 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Hi Annieo.

Welcome to the Norton Community Forums.

As floplot says Norton Internet Security does not sound like an upgrade from N360 (and does not provide backup features) but your reference to installs makes me think that you probably upgraded to Norton Security (NS).  Sadly NS is not Norton Security with Backup (NSBU), it comes without the backup bit.  So we probably need to know exactly what software you do have.

Even if you have not got NIS or NS there is may be a way to get the data back but I will wait and here what software you are using before I go any further as otherwise it may confuse.

By the way, it is probably best to keep post short and not philosophise too much as this can confuse readers.  

Mike
Kudos0

I had a 3 install license my husband used 2 and I had one so could not download had used my installs. The only option at Norton was to upgrade to Internet Security.

Kudos0

I got the one with backup ability. There was no option to get Norton 360 again as they are discontinuing it. I auto purchased it Sept. 2014. Used all the installs between husbands and laptop.

Accepted Solution
Kudos0

Hello again Annieo.

So, as I understand it, you now have Norton Security with Backup (NSBU) installed on your machine and you want to recover files previously backed up using N360, that are on an external device that is connected to the machine running NSBU.  If I have any of this wrong then please come back and correct me.

First make sure that the backup option of NSBU is enabled.  To do this open NSBU and look at the middle pane entitled "Backup" - it should show a green up arrow.  If it has a black up arrow icon you need to enable the backup in settings and restart your computer.

Next open Microsoft Explorer and look at "My Computer" that should show all the drives attached to your computer including the one that contains the backup which will probably be called "Z:" or similar.  Just to check, open that drive and check to see that there is a folder in the root of that drive entitled N360_BACKUP.  If there is not, come back here as something is not as it should be.

Assuming that folder is there, go back to up to "My Computer" where you can see all the drives and look for the "Norton Backup Drive" which probably has a small yellow padlock associated with it.  This is not a physical drive but a virtual drive that should show you all the Norton backups visible from your current computer.  If you open that "drive" you should see the name of the current backup set that you have running from NSBU and all of the old sets that were stored on your external drive (referred by to by me above as "Z:").  If you right click on one of the sets shown there you should get the options - Explore: Restore: Restore to..: and Delete.  Explore allows you to browse through the files and gives you the same options at every level so that you can restore a single file, a folder or the whole backup to their original location or a place of your choosing.  Careful with the Delete option it does what it says and that is final....

Do you see what I am describing and does that help you?

Mike
Kudos0

Thank you that solved the problem. :)

Kudos0

Delighted it helped Annieo.  

All the best for the future.

Mike

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.